Merlin's Fifth Season Will Be Its Last

"Dibs on this large circular table."

And for its next trick, the BBC will make Merlin disappear! After five seasons, the BBC-produced fantasy series will vanish in a cloud of smoke as the creators of the popular program, Johnny Capps and Julian Murphy, have decided to end the series on their own terms. So let's not go about using the term "canceled" and just say that it's ending, okay?

This might come as a bit of a shock to British fans of the series, as Season 5 is currently airing and expected to end in just over a month, on December 29. Members of Merlin's American viewership have a little but more time to accept the loss, as Season 5 isn't expected to begin airing on Syfy until January 4.

Merlin stars Colin Morgan as a young Merlin and is loosely based on the legend of the famous wizard who served King Arthur and the Court of Camelot. Capps and Murphy have released the following statement: "This is the series [American translation: season] where the storylines truly reach their apex. We always felt the story of the legend was best told across five series, leading to a spectacular finale that draws on the best known elements of this much-loved story and brings to a conclusion the battle for Camelot."

I know Merlin is quite popular around these parts, so go ahead and grieve or rejoice in the comments below.

SO disappointed in the ending of this series! What with that last scene??!! Know the show ended in 2013 but I just found it and watched all 5 seasons at once! Love the show but was extremely disappointed on how it ended. Arthur never got to see his dream--or at least some of it--come to being! All that work that Merlin did to aid Arthur just went out the window. I wish now that I had not watched it!
Plss return Merlin ..... This is the best tv series I have ever watched in my whole life.
Very bad ending it really ruined the show
Please please please bring back Merlin. This series ended really badly and I didn't expect it to, coming from such great writers and creators as these. Right from series 1 we were led to believe that Merlin and Arthur were destined to create a great new world together, incorporating magic once Arthur becomes king, it was their destiny. Instead it ends with a very lacklustre ending with Arthur being killed having only just discovering who Merlin is and Merlin failing his destiny of keeping Arthur safe so all this can happen. I was really looking forward to a much more epic battle, ending in victory for Merlin and Arthur and they going on with the Knights of Camelot to start rebuilding Camelot and making it the greatest Kingdom that ever was. That is what we were all lead to believe would happen. It also needed another series so that we could see Arthur's and Merlin's new alliance and how they were going to work together to unite all of the lands and rid the world of the Evil side of magic. I expected better of the creators of this series as I truly believe that this series deserved that. I feel really let down by them and will think twice about watching anything new from them as I would hate them to end something else I start to love badly in this way too.
I loved the tales of King Arthur and his knights, read the books and saw on Diva universal a few episodes and it was fantastic, the finale! It kinda made me cry. The final episode will be aired on diva in Malaysia on sunday at 8pm. But I watched the finale and it was great. I would love to watch it from season 1 thru to 5 to see how they interpreted the story in 5 seasons, that would be interesting! But I didn't like the love triangle between arthur, gwen and lancelot because Arthur could have done better than just fighting with Lancelot. He could have asked for reasons or could be asked to be alone for a while, something like that!! That part was unreasonable! Other than that, its all fine.
I am so disappointed to find this out. It was the only show on tv worth watching. The actors were amazing and the set was outstanding. Bravo to all of those involved! Thank you for making these last few years a very enjoyable one where hope and truth could triumph.

Too bad, the networks are so blind. Take away the best and leave us with the rest. Nothing worth watching.
The ending ruined the show for me. Short battle. No epic fight between Merlin and Morgana. Arthur dies. Merlin is a total failure and goes off to be alone forever. Why would they have Gaius tell Gwen that Arthur was in good hands? He wasn't. Why didn't Merlin call the dragon sooner? Why didn't the dragon save Arthur? Gwen loses everyon she loves and has to rule alone. Her and Arthur were barely together. What about Merlin's mom? The ending just fell apart. All they had to do was:
- Merlin arrives at the battle as himself on the back of the great dragon.
- Merlin has epic battle with Morgana and wins.
- Arthur and Mordred fight and Arthur wins, but is hurt.
- Dragon heals Arthur and flies he and Merlin back to Camelot.
- Arthur tells the dragon he was wrong.
- Arthur tells everyone about Merlin and how magic isn't evil, only some who use it for evil.
- end with Arthur and the knights at the round table and we see Merlin sitting at Arthurs side, dressed in red. Arthur then says this is a new beginning.
The ending the writers made was garbage. Every season, Merlin was told to protect Arthur because one day he and Merlin would rule together and bring about change. The bad ending made the whole show pointless. I used to watch this show all of the time, it was fun. I loved this show so much until the ending. Now I'll never be able to watch it again. You can't make a show with so much heart, have a sad and hopeless ending. There's enough sadness in the world people. Merry Christmas Merlin. Bad move writers. This is a family show? All this shows kids is no matter what you do, how hard you try, evil always wins in the end, so why bother. One man can't make a difference. I can't believe the cast agreed to film this horrible ending. I wonder what their feelings are about it. If I had known the show was going to end like this, I would not have bothered. The writers are heartless, horrible monsters.
This comment has been removed.
Arthurs death was traumatic, but you have to understand that they were fighting a war and people will die, there aren't always happy endings. It was arthurs destiny to die at modreds hand and nothing could change that; and merlin would be recognized for all that he has done by gwen
This comment has been removed.
yes your ending would have been so much better!
this ending SUCKED!
i totally agree with u
I, will really miss this show. I, looked forward to seeing this weekly. I, really hope that they rethink taking Merlin off. They take off all the good shows!!! Very SAD!!!!
I really hated the end of the episode. Come on, kill off Sir Gwaine and Prince Arthur! The writters ruined all the five years in only seven minutes, started when Gwaine died. We spend this five years waiting, hoping for Arthur knew the Merlin´s secret, all knights of Camelot by Arthur´s and the Queen´s side, enjoying the new era of Camelot, without Morgana and all threats, but they just RUINED for me the entire show...It´s impossible for me looking back and not be anger with this ending.
While 'Merlin' has taken many liberties when it comes to the original story, there are some aspects that could not be messed with, including the Morgana-Arthur enmity, the Arthur-Gwen-Lancelot love triangle and Arthur's death at the hand of Mordred when they stab each other with swords at the same time in battle. The stories do suggest that Arthur was in his 40s at the time but Merlin was supposed to be hundreds of years old and Gwen consigned to a convent so I don't think they're concerned with that. The point is if you knew the story you knew the end was near when they introduced an adult Mordred as a character. That's just how it goes. They could have had a bit more of the 'I'm a sorcerer' fallout though. That would have been nice.
King Arthur will rise again when Albion is at its greatest need? I think the 'Merlin' series can continue with this. All surviving characters could have aged. Then the first few episodes could show Albion becoming more and more in need of the Once and Future King, King Arthur, until finally Albion's need is greatest and King Arthur rises again, all healed by the "she". King Arthur would know that Merlin has magic, and would see that all good sorcerers, druids, dragons, etc. live peacefully.
This could be great for a spin-off series if not Series 6.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
It can't end! There should be at least another season where Arthur knows about Merlin and magic is restored in Camelot.
PLSPLSPLSPLSPLSPLSPLSPLSPLSPLSPLSPLS!
I LOVE MERLIN!
YESSS ANOTHER SEASON PLEASEEE PLEASEE
I am very disappointed that Merlin is going to end. This is one of my favorite series for a long time and hoped it would run to 10 seasons.
The season finale was a worthy ending to a series that started off okay and then trudged along for 3 seasons until it really took over in season 4.
One more season pleeeaaassseeee!!! One of the better shows I've seen in a long time, and it's ending in such an unfinished matter. We've been waiting the entire series for the next to episodes I agree that we need at least one more season!! Please!!!!
This is nothing short of disappointing. The huge battle at the end of season 5 should have been where Merlin is forced to expose his magic to Arthur, and then a final season 6 could have been Arthur coming to realize that magic is not all bad and having Merlin respected as the role of the wizard of Camelot. I do not think this can be properly developed in a mere 2 remaining episodes. I think they are rushing a very well developed show to its end, and not giving the maturing and realization of Arthur and Merlin's relationship the proper attention it deserves.
I liked Merlin much more the first couple of years. He was forever saving Arthur, and they really clicked together. Since he has married Gwen, the fun has gone out of the story. It is only Morgana trying to destroy it all. I thought there was supposed to be years of peace in Camelot, and magic was finally accepted. Then...there was the big battle, where Mordred kills Arthur. Not yet.... But if they want to end the tv series, they need to come up with a good ending. I agree with that.
I was hopping there would be a season on how Arthur coped with Merlin's betrayal and how he slowly excepts it. Maybe a recap on all the times Merlin saved his life. But I suppose not.... that is extremely disappointing. They end the series and we don't get to see the aftermath of Merlin's magic revealed.
They've dragged out one element of the storyline far too much. Almost very episode over series 4 and 5 has been Arthur being too brave for his own good, Merlin saving him using magic, and Arthur always being in a place where he is unable to witness this.

After a while, the same episode repeated again and again with different characters (although not always!) and different backdrops (again, not always) is getting frustrating. This probably should have ended at series 4. But as a huge BBC fan, I'm pleased to see this will be the final series. I'm just hoping the writers can pull themselves out of this repeating story 'quicksand' and do something special (and different) for the finale.
This is actually a bit shocking. Not because it was originally planned for 5 season. But because they told everyone at Comic-Con that S5 would be the reveal of Merlin's magic and also that additional series were a possibility if fan reaction was good. Maybe that's just Hollywood talk or maybe they reconsidered... I'm leaning towards the later since planned cancellations usually happen prior to a series not 3/4 the way through.
I've known for years that they were planning on having five season arc. That was common knowledge, wasn't it?
This isn't a case of the show being canceled; unless they started thinking about doing more recently (I haven't been following the eps or behind-the-scenes stuff like I used to) it was always meant to end at the end of the fifth season.
I thought they would try to make it last for much longer. Merlin has always been very slow when it comes to overall development, with a lot of fillers and plot rehashing (just how many times can the big bad try the same thing, fail, and then get away?). Characters grow, sometimes, to take a few steps back seemingly at random.

So while it's been a likeable series, there weren't many moments of greatness. I'm neiter overjoyed nor heartbroken upon hearing the news.
:( this was a good show and wasn't the full 23 episodes a season so it confuses me that it would be cut so short its only 2 1/2 normal season length, doesn't seem long enough...
It's a shame because this current season is the best so far. Although they are drifting away from the kid-friendly show they started with, and it's hard to get too far into the story without dealing with the fall of Camelot. I will miss it, although not really until the summer when all the regular season shows wrap up. Although I am happy to be able to catch all the show and I'm looking forward to what the BBC comes up with next to air when it's not running Doctor Who.
bittersweet feeling about this, I like the show and it is one of those types of show that needs an absolute end and can't just go on forever, but it'll be sad not having it every year. here's hoping everybody learns about Merlin by the end because, come on, why hasn't anybody figured it out yet other than Morgana and Lancelot? crazy. shows are always better when the main person's secret is discovered. for example, that one aspect of Smallville always annoyed the crap out of me until his friends found out then it's like oh hey look at my powers! so yeah, let people find out.
Just Lancelot (and is like dead or something : so not around anymore), Morgana doesn't know his secret
Morgana knows he's got magic, just not that he's Emris. he used it against her that once when she tried to take over Camelot.
I second that. If she did know he wouldn't have used the aging spell on himself the last time he fought her.
Sorry, but gunnmlo is correct. I've been an avid fan of the show since S1 E1. Morgana still doesn't 'seem to' know that Merlin has magic NOR that he is Emrys. All that have found out about Merlin's secret (sans Gaius, Hunith -Merlin's mom, and Mordred) have conveniently? been killed off over the course of the series, & usually quite quickly after finding out. Although, we the viewer, strongly suspect that Morgana does indeed know Merlin at least has magic, it's never been disclosed on screen ...yet.
I gave up on it after 3 episodes of season 5, because I just can't take any more villain-of-the-week without anyone learning Merlin's secret. I mean, come on. Merlin used magic in front of Gaius like the first time he met him, and no one other than Lancelot has caught him since? Just felt like all progression had stopped, and they were intending to run it into the ground by making seasons as long as they were making money. So I'm pleased about this news. I've made it this far, so I'll watch the rest season 5 now that I know all will be revealed soon.
i hope the story will end well and not just leave us hanging like they did with V. I enjoy this T.V. show and its a shame that they are taking it off.
odd,i enjoy this series,but am surprised i do...it has an appeal that is quite universal. i will miss it...
Arthur will die by Mordred's hand and Camelot will have the time of Avalon with the acceptance of magic and Merlin surviving, yet always in the shadows, to tell the tale.
thats the ending now its all about presentation!!!
Hope, it will be happy ending. Arthur reunite with Gwen and He accepts Merlin's power
I like the show but it could have done some things better. Either way I'm glad they get to end on their own terms and I hope the series finale is epic!
For some reason I liked this show but sometimes it's just so dumb. Like there is a traitor every season, Merlin and Gaius always find out but they keep the secret for some reason that make now sense whatsoever (and put the kingdom in danger by not revealing it)
I'm with you -- I still watch it, I still like it. But the characters are just so stupid. I don't mean "as characters"; I mean if they were real people who did what they do, they wouldn't have survived past season 1.
lol
Merlin has been so f**** bad this season but maybe the last episodes can reconnect to former glory.
Disagree, the show is only getting better with each episode that goes on. The only bad point is that there are only two episodes remaining in the entire show and that is not enough time to properly show the realization of arthur and merlins relationship and the complete acceptance of magic in camelot. Its pretty fail that they are ending it so suddenly without drawing that out properly.
Agreed, but I'm not hopeful.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO 0o0
So sad... but it is better instead of milking it... :'(
'Milking' media productions and gaming products has shown to be harmful to the appeal of the product itself, from my experience. Maybe 'Merlin' HAS come to its end. Maybe the show should just be left alone in this current form.
Later, it will come to be appreciated as one of the greatest TV shows to have been aired, once people calm down with their emotions.
another show netflix will try to resurrect in-vein... merlin can not be done without a brit feel so dont touch netflix!
boooo! although the storytelling has gotten a little stale...Morgana trying to kill Arthur every week, but it was still varied enough to be fun.
I love the show!
PLS tell me it's just a rumor ... ...
I like this show and hope its not true
I'm sad that it's ending. I agree with many of the comments below that we want to see Arthur know Merlin's magic and how they deal with it and see how it ends up in full stride. I wish there was at least a half or a full season of episodes with that new dynamic.
Exactly, and because there is not that final season dealing with that, its obvious that they rushed to a close. There must be some hidden reason that they are choosing not to do it properly, that they don't want to admit, perhaps ratings slipping or greed over money or some such thing.
Well now I have nothing to watch on Saturday nights. It should at least go one more season with Merlin practicing his magic out in the open. I agree with others who have posted that they will cram everything in the very last episode. Merlin will have no choice but to reveal himself to Arthur then 30 seconds later Arthur will die.
Crap. That's the second television show I love that's ending this year after its fifth season. (The other show being Flashpoint.)
Many things, even great things must come to an end some day. It is a fact of life, even if it is a painful one.
I'll miss the show myself, but I also don't want it to be destroyed through "milking".
While I'm sad for its departure, at the same time, I'm happy it'll get a proper ending instead of a surprise cancellation.
This sucks....big time! I love this show!!! :( I want them to change their minds!!!!
I don't understand how this is news. Wasn't this announced (or at least hinted at) when series four ended last Christmas?
So sad!!!! Love Merlin!! thank god, is not just canceled...hopefully they will kick some Morgana ass and now also Gwen!!! I also hope that Arthur finally will find out about Merlin and he will be ok with.....
If they're ending it on their own terms, hopefully that means they've drawn up a reasonable, satisfying conclusion. At least they're ending it while the going is good rather than drawing out the story unnecessarily.
hmm, thats bad news... at least it will get an ending though, i hate when shows just get canceled on a cliffhanger...
This is awful! No warning at all :(