Misfits' Season 1 Finale: When Cardigans Attack

Misfits S01E06: "Six"

New girl Rachel, sick of being made fun of for being a virgin and gifted with some sort of mind control power thanks to the lightening storm, utilized her power for what she perceived as good when she founded a khaki and cardigan clad group called “Virtue.”

The hard part about judging Rachel was that even though her methods were terrible and her motivation not entirely altruistic, the results of her brainwashing DID have their positives. Sort of. I guess. Okay, not really. The ASBO gang was horrified to realize that the local youth they typically hung out with were suddenly no longer interested in drugs, drinking, or sex; which wouldn’t have been a bad thing had the affected individuals made their own decisions. Unfortunately, Rachel’s brainwashing effectively took away their autonomy, which negated any of potential good her group could have done. Would it be great if Kelly applied herself and furthered her education? Absolutely. Is Alisha’s promiscuity a possible symptom of low self respect? Sure. But not necessarily. Not every woman who rocks a push-up bra is compensating for something and to imply otherwise reeks of slut-shaming.

With that said, don’t make fun of virgins. They’re people too.

With Curtis and Alisha firmly under her spell, Rachel and her God Squad overtook the community center and set their sights on converting the youth of London to their cause, kind of like fleshy Cybermen. Simon, Nathan, and Kelly armed themselves with rubber gloves and iPods to escape her influence and restore the natural order of debauchery to their formerly degenerate peers. The plan fell to pieces pretty quickly, ending with a converted Kelly and a possible new face in the form of Nathan’s masked bike rescuer.

Simon disappeared, literally and figuratively, possibly to pine for his popsicle probation officer, Dead Sally, in the freezer of an unused store room. He’s such a headcase. We’d be, like BFFs if he was an actual super powered person, even with his pet corpse and creepy videotaping. He just wants to be loved, man, and right now, Dead Sally is the only game in town.

Progress was made though! After Nathan took his unfortunate swan dive from the roof of the community center, the surviving ASBO members went for drinks, including Simon. They even conversed with him! He offered Kelly a DVD and told her to watch it later and while I was half-expecting one of her traditional defensive retorts, Kelly was kind and later, clearly touched by the clips of Nathan that Simon had pulled from his files.

Nathan ended up all cozy in his coffin when he took it upon himself to don a suit and save the day, motivated largely by guilt over Kelly’s plight and, I like to think, some tiny shred of loyalty toward the others. It’s very small, Nathan’s loyalty, like maybe the size of a fennel seed or a dust bunny, but it’s there. After a rousing speech celebrating our individual right to be screw ups, Nathan inadvertently revealed that the heat he had been packing to take Rachel hostage was actually a water pistol. Did anyone else sigh with relief there? Sure, his leverage was gone, but the idea of Nathan actually wasting the Virgin Rachel was a bit of a stretch for me. The death of Tony was, really, self defense, and Sally, an unfortunate accident, manslaughter at most. We can cheer for the Misfits gang, even when they’re less-than-ideal human beings because at their core, they’re all genuinely good people. While Nathan’s glorification of the rebel’s lifestyle was flawed in places, “Yeah, a few of us will OD and a few of us will go mental...,” (those aren’t details to gloss over there, pumpkin) it offered a largely hopeful message. Getting plastered and falling asleep on a park bench, the morning wake and bake, having no real direction in life...these things don’t make you bad people and they aren’t the things that define who you are. When Nathan previously spoke with the brainwashed Kelly alone, he made note of her suddenly modest appearance, but pleaded with her to “be herself” again, meaning her attitude.

Kelly was restored to her sassy self when Rachel fell from the community center, her influence on the Virtue kids severed upon her death. Unfortunately, in their struggle, Nathan also fell, despite a surprise rescue attempt from Simon, and wound up impaled because OMG OUCH.

Cue the funeral, where a weepy Kelly left an iPod in Nathan’s casket. Cue the mourning drinks and the montage of Simon’s stalkery Nathan footage that managed to be hilarious and heartbreaking at the same time. Cue...Nathan waking up in his coffin?

I don’t know if Nathan has the best of the Breakfast Club’s super powers or the worst. On one hand, YAY IMMORTALITY! On the other hand, that has the potential to get real sad and angsty later. I mean, I’ve read Tuck Everlasting, and Forever, and Interview with the Vampire and...yeah, immortality gets sad and awful later. I’d even argue that it’s kind of awful at present, with Misfits’ resident loudmouth trapped in his coffin with no apparent rescue in sight. He seems content for now, but just wait until that iPod’s battery needs to be recharged.

Questions

1. Bike dude is important, right? I bet he’s important. *wink wink*

2. What’s the expiration date on frozen corpse ladyfriends?

3. Where on Earth did Curtis find that sweater?

Looks like things were just a bit behind and Season 2, episodes 1 and 2 are now recapped. Yay.
So am I crazy or are there no recaps for Seasons 2 and 3???
A good, admittedly not great episode. The central theme of individuality vs. conformity was handled reasonably given the characters personalities and limitations (they are teenagers not philosophy majors).

Save me Barry! That is a classic line.

Not a big dramatic episode, especially for the end of a "season" but given a season in the UK is less than 2 months of TV is the US that's not too surprising.

Minimal police (or parents or friends) interest in the deaths starts to undermine how realistic the show is. Not fatal (so to speak) at this point but sadly things go off the rails towards the end of season 2. Still a lot of good episodes in the first part of Season 2 though.

A good first season. Of course the first season is easy. New characters, new powers, no baggage. Like a new relationship the first season is all milk and honey. That is especially true when you've only got 6 episodes.
A just starting out Misfits US viewer.

I bet Kelly goes back to Nathan's grave and hears him and gets him "saved".

Bike dude was just like The Walking Dead's Michonne sword wielding woman.
Your reviews for this show have been AWESOME. They made me want to rewatch series 1 and watch series 2 over and over. I'm so glad LOGO is broadcasting the show so my fellow Americans can finally see one of the best shows the UK has produced in while. It sucks that they had to cut some much out for our prudish American audience but I think it still translates well. I still can't believe they're doing an American version of the show, it sounds like a TERRIBLE idea to me. Now that we have the original in America that should be enough.
Cool, this show is finally "airing" in the US! Nice!

1. Bike dude is important, right? I bet he's important. *wink wink* -- OH MY GOSH YES!

2. What's the expiration date on frozen corpse ladyfriends? -- I feel sorry for Simon, it really was an accident!

3. Where on Earth did Curtis find that sweater? -- It was probs in the lost and found bin or something. Oh this episode was great, it's actually quite important to see, for the series over all.

Americans! Just wait till you see season 2 and 3!!!! Oh and the special is great too!
Oh i've seen season 2 and 3 already. Waiting for season 4.
First of all, awesome review of the series, yet again. Reading these each week has prompted me to go back and relive and rediscover my old joy for the show....so thanks for that. It was even to the point that I was waiting for Nathan's power to be revealed so as to see what was thought on it. I thought it was one of those great moments that could both seem a shock and make complete sense and seem obvious in retrospect....

I'm not sure, though, how it can be said nuance was thrown away when the debate that this episode seems to show just how nuanced the episode was. Was it weaker than most? maybe, but then Misfits did always go for the thing of the penultimate episode being the culmination of the stories that built up over the series, with the finale being a little standalone.

But I think the Rachel debate was always a good by-product of the finale, even years ago. I love that you could both root against her and see her point. It is up there with Jasmine in Angel. Yes, she is robbing people of free will, but is that a price worth paying to create a perfect world? The misfits obviously decreed no, but I don't think the writers were doing it to promote teen pregnancy as a viable alternative or a fondness for sex and drug based lifestyle as they were using the theme of misfits to promote the ideal that individuality is what makes this world so great and that being young and a teenager is all about making mistakes.

Yes, it's could be considered good to have an education and a pure driven ambition such as the members of Virtue did. But being young and a teenager is facing adversity and how we choose to face and overcome it (The Darwin reference). It's about about screwing up and learning from them---that is how we grow.

And the character of Nathan did, again, his (little) share of growth.

That's what Sci-Fi is all about, in my eyes, a way of giving a deep and relatable message from within a far-fetched and different context of storytelling. And it's this message, I think, that was attempted to be made--with a lot of what was being pointed out was either a joke and Nathan just kind of being Nathan and delivering it in his own inimitable style...
Staff
Thank you!

"I love that you could both root against her and see her point." This! Those are my favorite kinds of "bad guys." Like Magneto in X-Men, ESPECIALLY in the First Class reboot.

I agree that I think Nathan and the other Misfits' point was more about individuality making the world awesome than sex and drugs doing so, but I also think that the show didn't do a great job making that abundantly clear. It's easy to get caught up in debating the two extremes of Virtue vs. Misfits and completely missing that there are infinite options on the individuality spectrum.

Then again, if we saw Rachel brainwashing some generally well-mannered honor student who just so happened to get drunk every weekend, it would have been easy to condemn her, and then we wouldn't have this debate. And like you said, it's a good debate to have!
You're welcome! :)

Damn, that was an awesome and intelligent reply. Curses for not seeing this sooner, probably too late now. But oh well...

I am inclined to agree, those are my favourite kinds of "bad guys" as well. I tend to all them "Anti-Villains." Magneto from X-Men is a perfect example....yes, especially in the First Class reboot. Who needs a kill, destroy, kill villain, when you can have one that has a valid reason and believes absolutely in their cause.

I agree the show could have made a better point of emphasizing it, but isn't it the mark of a great show that hints subtly at such messages rather than stamp them on the forehead of viewers? I think the words were all there, they just take a deeper look due to the fact they are lost amid Nathan's special brand of dialogue.

The spectrum of individuality is indeed infinite, but I think the Misfits side was a good representation of average youth. Yes, some of them drink and have sex to excess, but at the same time, we have the shy, nervous guy and the sensitive athlete. And even those that follow the latter are capable of good, kindness and greatness. And that, I think, was the greatest representation of humanity within this show. Good people can be flawed and screw-up, but still no less good at heart - be them labelled heroes or villains or misfits.

Can't wait for you to start on season two.
More +
I think it's important to keep in mind both Nathan and Rachel are teenagers. In other words, neither is (or realistically should be) a perfect spokes-person for their view of the world. Rachel seems to mean well, geniunely believe she is helping people, and isn't using her power for personal gain which she could easily do. She is taking away freedom of choice but by most objective measures the people she is hurting are actually better off. For her it is a clear black and white distinction but that's pretty realistic for a teenager. They are not about nuance generally.

OTOH Nathan is the spokesman for individuality and he articulates it in exactly the way he should (being true to his character). His character isn't an intellectual. For him (at least at this point in his life) sex and drugs really are the awesome parts of individuality. And hey - sex and drugs can be pretty awesome, so there is that.

So neither of them actually makes the best case for their view of the world but that is exactly as it should be.
Misfits is playing in the US?

Lucky guys! It's sooo funny.

How are you all dealing with all the accents? Kelly? Nathan?!

"SAVE ME BARRY! "
I watched all 3 seasons in 5 days. Nathan's accent was my fave as where Kelly's was really thick and I didn't catch a lot of what she said.
I agree. Nathan's accent is the most pleasant to hear. Kelly sounds uneducated and I find it hard to put up with her. I also don't understand most of what she says. The others are ok, what to expect in a British production.
Lauren Socha is from Derby in the Midlands. Its difficult for some Brits as well!

Kelly's worth pursuing though as she is so dark, fatalistic and funny. She has an amazingly desperate face!
i love how nathan makes fun of kelly's accent in the first episode because its basically what everyone, americans and brits, is thinking haha
1.YES!!!!!!

2.Well do you want a karen mcklusky answer....

3. Look i just wanted him to feel warm

Love season 1s finale, but season 2s finale---WOW.

i think a huge cop out in the show is curtis' time travel power anything that happens can be undone but hey its a fun ride.

Something funny......you Americans are funny yes yes yes downton abby girls power takes away free will but cleans up the streets. EVERYONE i know thinks of her as a total evil prudy cow, it surprised me when i read she would have a good idea if it didnt take away free will. in ireland nd maybe even england to a point us teens are like oh no she didnt!!!! some of the nicest people are law breakers nd just because you never broke the aw doesnt mean ur not a grade a bitch.. enough ranting from me..YAY MISFITS!!!!
YOU BURIED ME ALIVE YOU DICKS!!
I love Misfits but this episode never sat quite right with me. Sure Rachel was taking away their free will (which as a Christian she should know was God's greatest gift to man) but she was also potentially saving some of their lives. Like Nathan said some of them will OD. I couldn't help but be a little conflicted, on one hand she's taking away their free will, which isn't cool, even if what they're doing isn't necessarily good, but on the other hand she's keeping them from ruining (and potentially ending) their lives.
Staff
I can understand that. I was a little bit disappointed in this episode and actually felt like it was the weaker of the S1 episodes because it threw away a lot of the nuance that makes Misfits so delightful.

Free will was definitely the deal breaker for me, and the fact that Rachel took it away kind of cemented her villain status, BUT, the implication that there was something WRONG with dressing modestly and doing the Jesus thing didn't sit quite right. One of the great things about Misfits is how complicated the characters are, even the bad guys. I feel like that wasn't the case here.
I agree that Rachel was a little to "obviously" the bad guy. It is also a bit strange that compelling people to be virtuous turns them into Stepford teenagers.

I assume there are teenagers who don't sleep around and take drugs who actually manage to be fun, interesting, individuals. Why would they all need to turn into boring drones just because they want to be "better" than they were?

That being said, I though Rachel's motives were credible. She was hurt and reacting to that in a way that makes sense for her character.
1. He's super.

2. Depends what you're trying to do with it.

I don't know about making fun of virgins, but they should be educated. You only get so many years of good sex. You shouldn't waste them. I regret every minute past puberty I spent as a virgin.
Staff
You should know that I was just chillin' here, drinkin' some orange juice, and then I read "Depends what you're trying to do with it." and the orange juice went straight out of my nose. And it burned. So thanks for that. :p

Lol, and true. Very true.
In general I enjoy the phone, but this episode kind of annoyed me. Rachel had countless opportunities to pull out Nathan's earbuds in the scene leading up to the finale...just felt so obvious.

Really a minor gripe on what is a pretty fun show I just hate it when the only way you can get a plot to work is for characters to act completely stupid.
Staff
It's true. I kept waiting for it to happen. It was definitely one of the major issues with this episode. I don't think it was the best one of the season by any means.
Agree. But compared to what happens starting with the end of season 2... this was a model of rationale plot and character behaviour...
Lightning. Lightening is what happened to Michael Jackson's skin starting in the eighties.
1. BIG TIME. Great one. Super. Excellent. No Spoilers. Excellent!

2. LOL at how many people disappear and they barely care.

3. ITS A COSBY SWEATER!

Nathan YES! We can finally talk about this. I said this is not something new (Torchwood did it best till it didn't) So of course you can look forward to more Nathan Death. That doesn't seem to be a spoiler. And can I say I don't really want to continue with season 3? Thats hard for me to say.

So Maryann what happens now? Do they go into the next season immediately or is going to be a wait? Please keep going...
Staff
I know, right? They've gone through two probation officers,a fellow delinquent, Rachel and her fall from the roof, and technically Nathan is still dead to the rest of the world...and yet no one has even been brought in for questioning.

Oh Torchwood. Torchwood did a lot of things great-until-they-didn't. And it all happened so fast. One minute I was all awesome awesome awesome and the next, I had no idea what was happening.

I've heard a lot of dislike for season 3, so much, in fact, that I'm more than a little nervous about it.

According to Logo's schedule, they're taking a break next week and jumping into S2 on Sept. 6th. I AM SO THERE.
Most of Season 2 is quite good. End of Season 2 and most of Season 3 not so much. There are a few good episodes though.
That's good they are going straight through the seasons to catch up. Also season 3 wasn't as extremely bad as some people let on, it was awkward at first but it had probably the best season finale of all the seasons so far
can i just say i love season three... it is missing a key element for me but hey, u cant have it all.......

and also 1.OMFG IMPORTANT *sheds a tear

In my opinion season 2 is the best. all the actors are comfortable and able to make that connection with the audience they didn't make in season 1 (well with me anyway) I LOVE MISFITS season 3 gets a bit cocky but its still good tv :)
Can't wait until we can discuss the current seasons, but can't spoil it for the newbies. You all have so much to look forward to.
1. Bike dude's gotta be bigtime. Right? Because otherwise bike dude makes no sense at all and is a cheap writer's ploy out of a bad spot. Bike dude best be representing next season/series (and if you think that I sounded majorly white back there.... you're not wrong).

2. Two weeks? I don't know. My frozen corpse ladyfriends have been limited to the ones I've known working at the funeral home... wait, no. I thought I had a joke here, but I don't. I promise I'm not creepy. Just a guy who sometimes thinks he's smarter than he really is.

3. Saks Fifth Avenue. My gosh, I wish I were joking. For a place that claims to be up on its fashion, I've seen some pretty scary stuff while in there (mind you, I'm not flush with the cash. I was buying a gift for my mother and I had a coupon, otherwise I'd be shopping at ye olde Target).

Thank you TV.com and Logo for both recommending this show and for making my British TV dreams possible. I've enjoyed every minute of it, and I look forward to the future airings of this series as it has intrigued me mightily. In a different vein than I view "Heroes" (as it was originally billed here as a "Heroes" replacement/betterment), but I love it nevertheless and look forward to the exploits of our favourite hooligans and ne'er-do-wellers.
Staff
1. Bike dude so better represent. (We should probably just stop and accept our pasty paleness now.)

2. Haha, oh man. I only ask because, not to get too gross, but I had to once attend a funeral where there was about 2, almost 3 weeks between the death and the funeral due to holidays and drama, and despite being on ice the entire time, that particular corpse was looking a little rough come viewing day. Also, I can't help but wonder, in Simon and Sally's case, WHAT IF THERE'S A POWER OUTAGE?

3. I've been in exactly one Saks in my life and it was only out of curiosity and I vowed never again. Target FTW.

Thank you for reading and watching! I believe Misfits comes back to Logo with S2 on Sept. 6th.
I shall see you then in September!
The actress that plays Rachel is gorgeous! And yes, there were positive aspects to Rachel's powers. Perhaps if she had met Dr. Rosen from Alphas she could have learned to use her powers to help youngsters to get focused on a more productive life. But this show is not Alphas, and the reactions of the main characters to the behavioral changes of those "converted" by Rachel reflects the ideas of this show's core audience, as they found those changes revolting. Just imagine giving up on drugs, alcohol and constant sex... Unimaginable. That's not a way to live!
Staff
I feel like that was the problem with this episode. It made a life without drugs and sex out to be horrible when that isn't necessarily the case at all. Rachel was very much in the wrong for forcing people to change, but her methodology doesn't automatically make getting knocked up in your teens a better alternative.
Rachel's stance wasn't automatically wrong. There is nothing wrong with abstaining and not doing drugs and focusing on your future. But there isn't nothing wrong with sex and being a fuck up. It wasn't her stance it was her methods. Doing or not doing any of those things isn't an instant gateway to being a better person. Rachel was fell into the trap of becoming her tormentors, judging people for being different from her. She was basically raping the minds of everyone around her to suit her own ends, and you can't even say her heart was completely in the right place. She was doing what she could because she could.

Rachel was a great antagonist. I always like it when you can understand the villain, and their mindset. And Rachel was a villain, but she could have been a Misfit. She's just as screwed up as the rest of them in her own way.
All that means nothing if it is not your choice. I hope you see that.
Of course I see that, but initially that was not the issue. The community service kids were not disturbed by people's loss of free will, but because they were behaving like "losers" behaving like model citizens, something they ridiculed. Of course good behavior without free will means nothing. Ironically, drugs
Ironically, with drugs, too much alcohol and sexual misconduct it is exactly one's freedom that somebody may lose.
Good point. Too much individuality can actually lead to losing your free choice.