Nathan Fillion Admits That the Castle Finale Wasn't Perfect

Nathan Fillion feels Castle fans' pain.

The actor, who starred as the title character on ABC's crime procedural, admitted to the New York Post that the rushed series finale, which aired in May, wasn't how he would have wanted the story of Richard Castle and Kate Beckett (Stana Katic) to end.

"It wasn't the beautiful send-off that I think maybe you could hope for, but it's the entertainment industry, it's a business, I get it," Fillion said. "I don't take it personally when a show gets canceled -- I can't take it personally, all my shows gets canceled! Look at my resume, it's a long list of canceled TV shows."

Castle ended its eight-season run earlier this year with a tacked-on epilogue to the season finale that showed Castle and Beckett living happily ever after. (The original Season 8 ending was a cliffhanger with Beckett being shot, which was supposed to lead into a planned ninth season.) Katic's contract was not renewed for the ninth season and then ABC canceled the show, forcing producers to attempt to bring the series to a satisfying conclusion that left many fans wanting more.

Fillion's other canceled shows include cult favorite single-season sci-fi wonder Firefly and the sitcom Two Guys and a Girl, which also launched the career of Ryan Reynolds.

Fillion remains positive about his overall experience on Castle, however.

"The fact is, I made a lot of great friends on a really great show," he said. "I'm really happy for everything that that show has done for me."

This article originally appears on TV Guide.com.

Oct 21, 2016
The finale was great - it's just the ending that sucked - it was very jarring to see Castle and Beckett laying on the floor with Castle trying to reach her then flashforward to a few years later and they are alive, with a family - I would have preferred either of those scenes to be left out

As for his cancelled shows - don't forget Drive - a show that had so much potential (very Prison Break-esque) and FOX cancelled it after 4 episodes and decided to air the final 2 online - and it STILL ended on a cliffhanger

At least he got 8 seasons out of Castle
Oct 20, 2016
I still think the decision unfair. There are other shows that are beyond saving that have lived longer Bones been one and i am a fan of that and Castle. Yes its possible to be both but its hard. And although there may have been tension on set or not, as a fan my concern is with Castle and Beckett. We deserved a better ending, one befitting Castle as a show and we didnt get it. As for a reunion in the future, its unlikely, given the abruptness of the end and no matter what does happen, if it ever happens. I will always want more because I didnt get the closure, I should have. Its not right and its unacceptable, we deserved more as fans and so does Castle. Better yet, even more unlikely, bring it back. Life isnt the same without Castle to look forward too, without hearing a bad joke or seeing the family many of us have come to enjoy and adore. Id rather that it hadnt ended and if so not as badly as it did. I expected better, Caskett deserved better, never say never though....
Oct 17, 2016
The sad thing here is that they were going to end the season by having Beckett shot...again? Proof they ran out of ideas.

Did the Post article ask about their relationship off-screen amid reports they came to dislike each other? There's the real story.
Oct 21, 2016
But this time Beckett would have clearly died if the show was renewed - unlike the end of season 3, the beginning of season 4 when you knew she would survive

Plus it's a procedural - they ran out of ideas a LONG time before season 8
Oct 17, 2016
Let's not forget One Life To Live
Oct 17, 2016
Here's a thought....remember Hart to Hart back in the day....it too was a huge favorite of many(myself included!)....rather than just never seeing them again....periodic movie adventures were done after the end of the weekly show....this could easily be done with Castle....
OR
Do a spin off with Alexis and Haley(?spelling) taking over the private investigation business....they were both good at being detectives...especially with Haley helping Alexis fine tune her skills....
You could have periodic "Guest" appearances of Castle, Beckett, and Castle's mom...Martha, this would allow those of us not ready to let go...to still get our "Castle" on!(It would be great to keep the detectives and medical examiner characters played by same actors) in the spin off series...
I think it would work....I would MOST definitely be one watching the show...
But. it would have to be as well written etc as Castle....we do want our quality show!!
This will probably post as WandaWorld...I am Wanda Brendle-Moss! I would love an email reply from shows creators or whomever the decision makers were/are...I can give me email upon request!
Oct 17, 2016
Nobody here has anything to do with the show, so you won't get any replies.

Second, the show went belly up among other things because the main stars despise each other big time. So the odds of getting them to do a tv movie or anything like that anytime soon is slim to none.

A spin off? Maybe, but the original show wasn't that big in the numbers department to begin with during its cancellation. I don't think it's likely, maybe in a couple of years they'll do a reboot or sequel or something.
Oct 17, 2016
Er, TV.com doesn't have any direct connection to Castle's show-runners, or the network executives from the network the show aired on, so I doubt anyone will be getting back to you.

Also, the "Haley & Alexis as P.I.s" idea has been thrown around a lot by fans since the news first broke that Castle wasn't getting a ninth season. Sorry.
Oct 17, 2016
Don't forget Drive. That show barely made it six episodes before it got the axe.
Oct 17, 2016
Ah Firefly I never understood how It could have been canceled so soon.
Very good show with good actors.

For Castle yes the show has been canceled but after 8 seasons so it had a good run. And for me it was time
Oct 21, 2016
I never understood how It could have been canceled so soon

Cause FOX are idiots - The ironic thing is, if Firefly was airing today, they would have renewed it like they did with the likes of Scream Queens