NBC 2014-2015 Video Preview: Watch Trailers for Constantine, Casey Wilson's Marry Me, and More

To go with its new 2014-2015 schedule, NBC has released trailers for its new fall series, including Constantine, based on the Hellblazer comics, and Marry Me, starring Casey Wilson and Ken Marino. Let's have a look at them, shall we?

Constantine

Based on the popular comic book series HellblazerConstantine stars Matt Ryan as the titular demon hunter and master of the occult. He struggles with his faith as he is haunted by the sins of his past, but he is suddenly thrust into the role of defending humanity from the gathering forces of darkness. Batman Begins' David Goyer will executive-produce the drama with writer Daniel Cerone (Dexter). Harold Perrineau, Lucy Griffiths, and Charles Halford also star. Airing Fridays at 10pm.

The Mysteries of Laura

Based on a Spanish series, The Mysteries of Laura stars Messing as a quirky female homicide detective who juggles high-stakes crime with her ex-husband (Josh Lucas) and a devilish set of twin boys. The Tomorrow People's (R.I.P.) Jeff Rake will write and executive-produce with Arrow's Greg Berlanti and Aaron Kaplan. Laz Alonso and True Blood's Janina Gavankar will also star in the project. Airing Wednesdays at 8pm.

State of Affairs

State of Affairs stars Grey's Anatomy alum Heigl as a CIA attaché (yes, you read that correctly, Heigl is playing a character who's affiliated with the CIA) who counsels the president (Alfre Woodard) on international security. She balances her intense political responsibilities with a complicated personal life. Heigl will executive-produce with writers Joe Carnahan (The Blacklist) and Alexi Hawley (Castle). Adam Kaufman, Sheila Vand, Leslie Odom Jr., Tommy Savas, Farshad Farahat, and Cliff Chamberlain round out the cast. Airing Mondays at 10pm beginning November 17.

A to Z

A to Z is a whimsical romantic comedy set at an online dating company. The series stars How I Met Your Mother's Milioti and Mad Men's Ben Feldman (you go, Ginsberg!) as the show details the "A to Z's" of a relationship, from the first meet-cute to the break-up. Parks and Recreation's Rashida Jones (who's gonna be a busy lady now that her new TBS cop spoof is a go) will executive-produce with Will McCormack and Ben Queen, who will also write. Henry Zebrowski, Christina Kirk, and Leonora Crichlow will also star.Airing Thursdays at 9:30pm.

Bad Judge

Bad Judge stars Kate Walsh as a sexually unapologetic woman who also happens to be a judge in the criminal court system. The Incredible Burt Wonderstone's Chad Kultgen will write and executive-produce with Walsh, Will Ferrell, Anne Heche, Adam McKay, and Jill Messick. John Ducey, Mather Zickel, Theodore Barnes, and Tone Bell will also star. Airing Thursdays at 9pm.

Marry Me

Marry Me tells the story of longtime couple Annie (Happy Endings' Wilson) and Jake (Marino), who get engaged only to quickly realize it's harder than it looks. Happy Endings creator David Caspe will write and executive-produce with Jamie Tarses and The Goldbergs' Seth Gordon, who also helmed the pilot. The comedy, which earned a spot on Tim's recent list of promising pilots, also stars Sarah Wright, Tymberlee hill, John Gemberling, Tim Meadows, and Dan Bucatinsky. Airing Tuesdays at 9pm.

Okay, let's hear your first impressions! Anything here look good to you?

Upfronts 2014 HQ:
New Shows, Network Schedules, Video Previews, and More

This article originally appears on TV Guide.com.

May 27, 2014
A to Z: Sorry but no I cant... I just cant..it is too early and that dude Looks like Ted, and waiiit Ive seen u at a concert and u had that Dress on, no I didnt, but actually I did ... oh my god we are meant to be together, but we only met now.. woow... No I cant.. too early

Bad Judge: Just why???? This Looks soo bad and so unbelievable, Kate just why?
May 21, 2014
So... I just linked to this from Which New Shows Look the Best and the Worst? and I'm surprised by how many people are excited about A to Z. The new shows by NBC overall aren't very jump-for-joy but I'm disappointed with how A to Z appears. Obviously it's taking the place of HIMYM, and thank god it's not just a complete reverse by being HIMYF. However I feel like it couldn't possibly be as dragged out, or as "successful" as HIMYM. The trailer feels like it exposed wayyy too much about the show, if they want it to last more than 2 seasons a trailer shouldn't feel like I recapped half a season.

Now as far as Constantine. It's funny, I was just watching the movie. I suppose I would of liked a different title but the main character is constantine so meh it's fine. I enjoyed the movie, even though it wasn't very successful and the show's trailer looked very interesting. The effects, and direction of the show from what I could determine based on the trailer, seems decent. I just hope it has good writing, and the network doesn't kill it after 3 episodes because it's ratings don't match reality trash or dancing with the stars on other networks.
May 14, 2014
A to Z..whose voice is that on the trailer?
May 16, 2014

Katey Sagal (Peg Bundy / Married ...with Children)

May 13, 2014
I'm not so thrilled with this bunch. Most of it sounds pretty lame. Though they'll probably stay and if there's a better one, it'll get cancelled, because it'll be too different.
May 12, 2014
Bad Judge looks like a joke...is this a joke? lol
Marry Me, Constantine, and A to Z
those are the best of the group
Constantine.
May 12, 2014
Nice to see that Addison Montgomery traded in her medical practice for a law degree. This looks like what Private Practice should have been. Doesn't mean it'll be any good, but still...
Dear Deborah,

If I got cancelled after 13 episodes, things aren't looking good for you. Best of luck though.

Regards,
Maria Bello
May 12, 2014
A to Z and Marry Me aren't working for me, but of the others I guess Constantine looks OK, but I agree that something seems to be missing. State of Affairs looks crap and that trailer literally gave me a headache, the changes in lighting coupled with the jerky camera moves and that annoying drum beat made me want to run from the room screaming. Bad Judge looks like the premise will wear a incredibly thin after a couple of episodes and The Mysteries of Laura, whilst it looked a little better than I expected, didn't really grab me. But none of that particularly matters considering I'll still give all of them the 4 Episode Test.
May 12, 2014
Well you know it's going to be a disappointing season of television on NBC when the series you wanted least to get picked up, State of Affairs, actually looks like the best from the trailer, even if it most definitely will be the poor man's Homeland.

I was most looking forward to Constantine, but the trailer wasn't promising, and Matt Ryan seems horribly miscast, as does Debra Messing in The Mysteries of Laura.

I was looking forward to both A to Z and Marry me, but their trailers disappointed too. I'll only check out Marry me because of David Caspe and Casey Wilson, as for A to Z, the concept initially intrigued me, but it seems like after the pilot it'll be one long romantic comedy.
Constantine: Looks promising.
A to Z: Looks like a really terrible romantic comedy, and will be an even worse TV show. (Plus it's a little bit ironic how it appears to be a HIMYM rip-off kinda, and the Mother from HIMYM is the main character!)
State of affairs: Just plain ridiculous. And I'll hate watch it.

I want to laugh at NBC for canceling Revolution, Community and Parks and Rec (next year) for this. NBC, you're the worst.
May 12, 2014
Constantine looks pretty good. Definitely have to check it out.
May 12, 2014
Constantine looks good. I'll probably watch it and see how it goes. I got a sort of Supernatural vibe from it although it might take itself a little more seriously?

Mysteries of Laura looks terrible, i didn't like it, i'm not going to watch it, I don't want to talk about it.

State of Affairs. Not as bad as I thought it might be. If they play up more of the serialized aspect, the fiance's death, the guy in the bar telling her things, it might be quite good. If it turns into a mostly procedural show, along the lines of The Blacklist, I think it will bomb. Katherine Heigl was better than I expected, she can act the part fine, she just doesn't have a serious look about her.

A to Z looks like a movie. If the really overplayed bits like them walking either side of the boxes and the fly pausing in midair before flying into his mouth, if those happen every week it'll be the most annoying thing ever, even in movies those only last for the first like 20 minutes. I can see this working being sustainable if they more of less copy HIMYM, but it won't be as good if they do. The workplace setting, the smaller, and more stereotyped, cast all feel more restrictive and will limit the show from being anywhere near HIMYM in it's prime.

Bad Judge, also better than expected. I gotta say I think Kate Walsh is the best of all the leading actors in these trailers. I do hope they tone down the "i'm an irresponsible adult" schtick, it really felt like they were beating us over the head with it. With any luck that just comes down to it being a trailer but if that is the entirety of the comedic range of this show, i'll pass.

I really want Marry Me to work, Happy endings connections, Ken Marino, it has alot of potential. But i'm not convinced yet, the premise seems hard to maintain over a long run or even a long season. I will say, this was the only trailer I had a genuine laugh in, as opposed to a wry smirk or a soft chuckle, but I wouldn't call this the best trailer or most anticipated show of the bunch.

I'll watch Constantine and Marry Me, although I expect Constantine will get low ratings and Marry Me i'm cautious of so far. I'll also give State of Affair and Bad Judge 2 episodes to turn me around.
May 12, 2014
Constantine could be cool. I'm surprised by how good most of the special effects look.

A to Z reminds me of another (failed) NBC comedy from a few years back called 100 Questions. At least in the sense that the premise is designed to last a long time despite its content.
May 12, 2014
A to Z looks like a charming 90 minute rom-com. Stretched out over 20 episodes. yikes. Also -- I am so tired of the boorish wingman character.

State of Affairs feels a lot like Hostages and Crisis. Looks great in a pitch, but on real TV it's a mix of bad soap opera and me wishing all the characters would die.

I want Marry Me to do well, but I really hope it can do something other than cringe comedy.
May 12, 2014
Ugh, the effects in Constantine looked awful, as did the acting from whoever the main female lead is. Really disappointed.
May 12, 2014
Wow NBC, you really canceled Community for this trash? I'll watch A to Z cause I'm a sucker, but Constantine shouldn't be on network television.
May 12, 2014
State of Affairs, Mysteries of Laura and A to z.
May 12, 2014
I love the trailer of Constantine but it's the actor I like. The trailer of Marry Me look really funny, A to Z is a maybe the other ones I already want to cancel base on the trailers... Bad Judge look to be one of the worst!
May 11, 2014
Was that Jeremy Davies in the Constantine trailer?
If so, im in!
May 11, 2014
Trailer looks promising...but what was with that music at the end? Totally took me out of it.
May 11, 2014
Constantine and Marry Me look fine from their trailers. I'm not sure about A-Z, but Bad Judge, State of Affairs and The Mysteries of Laura look horrific...
May 11, 2014
Constantine looks like it could be fun. State of Affairs however does not look a promising as I'd hoped...
May 11, 2014
Constantine doesn't look as awesome as I'd like, but it still looks pretty cool. I'll still be giving it a definite try.
May 11, 2014
I didn't watch most of these, but Marry Me looks like a sure-fire cancellation waiting to happen. And it doesn't look funny enough to attract/keep the Happy Endings fans.
May 11, 2014
Constantine (the character) is giving me a Spike vibe, and I like it.
May 11, 2014
Looks like a bunch of cancellations waiting to happen. Way to go, NBC. I thought networks tired of romantic comedies after every single one failed from a few years back (Perfect Couples, Traffic Lights, Happy Endings, Love Bites, Mad Love). I can't see how Marry Me or A to Z are gonna end any differently than any of those other shows.

Constantine feels like the only one with any potential, but without being on cable and really allowing them to push the envelope with language and graphic content, it's gonna be hard for this show to take off. Constantine has been an amazing figure in DC comics since his introduction, but he really shines when the stories surrounding him are given free reign to get as depraved and dark as possible. Not sure if NBC can pull that off.

Nice to see Enrico Colantoni back on television (sort of); even if they already spoiled the outcome of the pilot with regards to him meaning we may not see him again after that. I don't know if I buy Debra Messing as this tough as nails cop, but I don't buy her as much of anything, so I suppose that's par the course for her.

State of Affairs just looks plain awful, so the less said there, the better.
May 13, 2014
Yes, seriously, what kind of trailer is this if it summarises the entire episode of a cop dramedy in 3 mins including "Who did it?" Spoiler much??!
May 11, 2014
The Good:
Constantine
State of Affairs
A to Z

The Meh:
The Mysteries of Laura

The Absolutely Not:
Marry Me
Bad Judge
May 11, 2014
I will give all of these shows a try, except for Marry Me. Even the preview of Marry Me was painful to watch.
May 11, 2014
But those actors. I'll give it a chance for them alone.
May 11, 2014
Teaming up Constatine with Grimm will be a good idea IMO. I actually was surprised on that trailer it kinda looks like a Supernatural show for Grownups.
May 11, 2014
Am I the only one who found Constantine trailer terrible? It was more like a parody/comedy rather than a horror fantasy show. And a bit cheesy, don't you think? Oh, please, it was the only new show I had any interest to watch... :(
May 11, 2014
Damn! I was intending to not watch any new shows in the fall, but with the likes of Gotham, The Flash, Agent Carter, Constantine, and A to Z, I'm going to find it's a lot more difficult in practice.
May 11, 2014
I do not see any real similarity between Constantine and Grimm. Constantine's trailer impressed me and more so because it seems more like a theatrical one than for TV. This may be NBC's success story next year.

Mysteries of Laura looks, for me, to be an entertaining guilty pleasure. However, did they spoil who a bad guy is in this?

State of Affairs actually looks competent. My problem, and maybe for others, is that I have had a stomach full of terrorism crap on TV, let alone in real life. This may turn off many. Also, I very much admire Alfre Woodard, but it may be too unrealistically wishful thinking to have a female, black president in this. That comes across as a bit of forced idealism, to say the least.

I think people will watch A to Z for Milioti - for a time. Nothing else seems to work in this. She is a real find and deserves better. Maybe if the male lead, who I do not know, were someone more well known, perhaps it would have a better chance, but otherwise it is likely a generic and predictable show.

Marry Me and Bad Judge seem all over the place trying to hard to be funny or whatever. If they eventually focus and settle down a bit, maybe they'll do OK, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting. The foster kid in Bad Judge seems out of place and something of a betrayal of the show's premise. Let the judge be bad and roll with it. Why the need to redeem her, or show she has a good heart deep down, through this kid, or situations like this, if that's what they are going for?

May 11, 2014
I'll watch anything Cristin Milioti is in. I LOVE HER.
Depends on what fails.
May 11, 2014
Meh to these new (show/serie)s.
May 11, 2014
I'm calling State of Affairs as the first show to be cancelled next season!
May 11, 2014
I highly doubt it since it premieres in November. And surely something will be canceled by then.
May 11, 2014
didnt know it premieres in November, but Heigl as a CIA agent, please!
May 11, 2014
No not an agent, an analyst, which is worse. Someone who collects data and crunches numbers on the bad guys. I'm not seeing how this show is going to be very exciting when the main character is trapped in a building all day on the phone or sending out reports. I was hoping for her to uncover a crazy conspiracy that forces into a position were she is pushed into actively investigating things. The whole grieving for the president's son, by turning into a bar-hopper at night isn't exactly grabbing me.
May 11, 2014
The Constantine trailer looked really good and actually impressed me.
Definetly need to check that one out next season.
As for the others, i count 2 cute girly shows and 3 strong female shows, none which i will ever watch as they seemed horrible to me, not to mention lacking any originality
May 11, 2014
Constantine is the only show I am likely to watch and I hope they do not make Constantine into one of those male-model types that populate CW shows... It should not be a pretty polished show, it should be rough and grimy...
May 11, 2014
I love that they seemed to have gotten Constantine's character right That's a great thing, but Kirk, you're in my head, I swear to god! I'm still hoping for the best & all, but unfortunately, my first impression is that it comes off as really little more than corny flash, Grimm-style.
I'd love to be proven wrong after a few episodes though, but I've got no choice but to reset my expectations a little lower than before ::shrug::
May 11, 2014
The tone of that Constantine video, it feels... I dunno, like pushy and stagy and that kind of corniness that comes from watching marketing for Grimm. I'm going to reserve judgement for the 2nd episode.

I own that Nerf N-Strike Elite dart blaster that Debra Messing is holding in The Mysteries of Laura video, that is the only positive thing I can see in there. Everything about that video was pain though, I feel bad seeing Enrico Colantoni in this toilet-circle but at least he's only in the pilot.

State of Affairs, ugh, looks so bad.

A to Z, oh god, everything, everything looks... "cute" in a way that's trying too hard, and so very canceled. There's the Water Garden in Santa Monica though. And why is the narration done by Katy Sagal?

Bad Judge, Kate Walsh has really been spreading her wings, some of it pays off here too, but some of it stretches too far. I'm 50/50, the idea has promise but there are strains to credulity which could easily take it down, and there's a heartwarming feel sneaking into the cut there which would damn it. "She's a good judge of the law, but a bad judge of running her life" sort of tagline would definitely help keep that title from damning this thing out of the gate.

Marry Me... well, the joke in the first minute was funny but as usual it requires Casey Wilson to take one step too far into her unlimited box of cringe comedy tricks. The direction on this feels really clunky, hopefully it's just a bad edit for its first piece of marketing.
Staff
May 11, 2014
Spoiler alert: Ben Feldman's character ends up with Robin at the end of A to Z.
May 11, 2014
Let's take bets or atart a pool. Will it be by the letter "M", "Q", "U", or all the way to the end with "Z"?
May 11, 2014
Anyone outside of the US that wants to see the constantine trailer should head over to comingsoon.net they just posted it, i must say im impressed.
May 11, 2014
Sorry for everyone who can't watch the Constantine trailer. Seriously, I'm so sorry for you...because it's fucking AWESOME. I can't wait for the show to come out.
May 11, 2014
There are other places you can watch it, besides here and youtube i just did, i must say im impressed. Looking forward to it.
May 11, 2014
Ditto (obviously). My only concern is...I'm seeing it listed other places (specifically IMDB) as a TV movie. Is it actually a full series now? I THOUGHT I saw something on TV.com recently saying it was a series that was ordered, not just a TV movie.
Correction, this IS a TV series,

Wikipedia says; On March 10, 2014, Goyer discussed that the Constantine character in the series will be closer to the source material from the comics than that of the film. On May 8, 2014 NBC picked Constantine up for series

This is so awesome.
May 11, 2014
Im 99% sure this is a television series, i never ever trust IMDB.
May 11, 2014
Constantine looks to be a potential hit and the network's best new show of the season, which is probably why NBC stuck it on at 10pm Friday.
May 12, 2014
Usually I'd agree with you. But sci-fi in particular sometimes works on Fridays, and the Grim pairing would probably be good flow. Plus, I'd rather put this in the 10pm hour where they won't have to soften it too much for younger viewers.
May 11, 2014
Heaven forbid any good shows actually make it longer than one season.
May 11, 2014
This comment has been removed.
May 11, 2014
Ok - I know we have this discussion every year - but why, why on earth the fucking networks can´t let us watch trailers if we aren´t in USA? Meteor would hit an Earth if nonamericans saw trailer for some stupid show?

May 11, 2014
which means NBC will cancel it , they cant handle success well
May 12, 2014
And that's exactly what worries me,if it turns out to be a great show,and the ratings are decent,what's to stop NBC from cancelling it?But then again,Grimm managed to make it to 4 seasons so far,so there is hope.
May 12, 2014
And look at Hannibal, two seasons in the timeslot Constantine will be in, and a third on the way, with very low ratings. Mid-season, but still.
May 11, 2014
When will these fucking networks just put the trailers on Youtube?
They did.
May 11, 2014
Go to 'Comicbookmovie.com',There's a Constantine preview that I was able to watch.Hope this helps.
May 11, 2014
They are on youtube but they are also blocked if you're not in the USA
May 11, 2014
"This content is currently unavailable". :P
May 11, 2014
But Hotspot Shield is. :)
I'm sure someone will have posted them on YouTube in the next few hours.

May 11, 2014
Go to 'Comicbookmovie.com',they got a preview video up that you could see,I too was blocked on many other sites.Hope this helps.
Thanks!