NBC Boss: "Community Will Be Back"

Keep fighting, champions of Greendale. The war is not over. Community (the winner of TV.com's Best of 2011 award for Best Overall Series) may have been bumped from NBC's midseason schedule, but it will be back to finish out Season 3, says NBC chieftain Bob Greenblatt.

"I want to dispel any notion that [Community is] just quietly disappearing from the schedule," Greenblatt told reporters at the Television Critics Association press tour today. "I failed to explicitly say it will be back." It's true. When Community was unceremoniously shoved off NBC's plan in November, little was said about the show's fate except that it would return at a later time. But as anyone in the TV industry knows, the standard PR game is to calm fears now and worry about the truth later.

Greenblatt's promise should soothe fans of the NBC comedy, and he insists the show will return later this spring. But as for a Season 4? This is where it gets tricky. When asked, Greenblatt was non-committal: "Fourth season, I don't know. Those are really hard questions to answer at this point." That can be taken one of two ways. Either the new boss is learning that being honest sometimes means being vague, or he's intentionally being vague because he already knows the answer and doesn't want to start a sh*tstorm during what is his network's time in the limelight.

"I'm really curious to see what something else will do [in Community's time slot]," he added. "We have a really tight schedule with comedies."

So there you have it, Community fans. Good news: it's coming back. Bad news: Season 4 still is very much up in the air.

Additional reporting by Louis Peitzman.

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

Feb 20, 2012
I used to look forward to my comedy Thursdays on NBC. Community was the kickoff. But now with Steve Carrell gone on the Office and Community gone and possibly about to be cancelled, it just feels depressing. I dont like 30Rock, sorry. I know its won many awards but it just doesnt make me laugh the way Parks and Rec, Community, and The Office used to. I think if NBC keeps trashing what works they are going to wind up with regrets.
Feb 03, 2012
six seasons and a movie!
Jan 24, 2012
to me, Community is the best comedy on TV right now and its a shame to see a show that good not to be appreciated. it happened once with Arrested Development and i really hope it doesnt happen with Community
Jan 23, 2012
One positive thought though: Sony owns Community, Sony has been known to sell shows to networks EXTREMELY cheap, as long as it gets them close to syndication. Community WOULD be at that if renewed for a fourth season, so it seems very possible that Sony gives NBC Community for pennies....
Jan 21, 2012
wasn't there a "if you had to cancel one of nbc's 5 thursday night comedies, which would it be?" post. considering what greenblatt's said, I myself feel like I should consider it. I am a fan of all 5 and i don't think community's the one i'd choose to see canceled.
Jan 14, 2012
I agree - not entirely happily - with the Arrested Development comparison, though you would hope tv "professionals" would recognize excellence and long-term value. But sadly, not many people are ever smart enough to recognize true genius in its lifetime anyway, witness 2010 elections! It's far easier to see the herd rushing to the big(ger) boobed blonde ditz and 4 geeks sniffing after her than to imagine large groups of American audience laughing out loud at thinly veiled references to schadenfreude:) But we can hope and shout and maybe enough people who want to think while thy laugh will ultimately come through... Maybe this is the beginning of a new model where people using new media actually get old school metrics and thinking to finally see to the changing landscape of viewership and it's worth. I can dream but [turns to Greenblatt], you're still the worst.
Jan 11, 2012
Concerning the smoldering brunette and the smoking hot blonde. Been watching Community for 3 years because of them and still don't know either of their names on or off the show and don't care. They need to develop those two a LOT more. Remember the episode when the blonde was a Lesbian? The show is clever but I guarantee it only stayed on the air this long because of them. Develop them more or the show is dead. They should have moved in together a LONG time ago.
Jan 21, 2012
YOU'VE WATCHED A SHOW FOR THREE SEASONS TO STARE AT TWO WOMEN'S BODIES AND HAVEN'T EVEN LEARNT THEIR NAMES!!!???? That's what I find disturbing and crazy! Your like some half-animal, half-caveman that only follows his... animal urges... The fact that you don't know they're names suggests that if one of them did develop by your standards, you probably wouldn't notice unless they turned into a man or something! Creeeeeeppppppy!
Feb 14, 2012
lol you even sound like Britta
Jan 09, 2012
Please, please, please don't cancel Community!!!
Jan 08, 2012
Mr. Greenblatt I have your solution: cancel Whitney, Are You There Chelsea, The Apprentice, Grimm, and half of your failed dramas... That'll surely open up a timeslot for Community, which has a more loyal following/better critics reviews than any of the above shows do.
Jan 08, 2012
Jan 08, 2012
I know that these networks are businesses, and are in it to get money. That being said, the more I hear about great and/or promising shows getting cancelled before their time, the more jaded I become about all of them. Of course, there are shows that get the chance they deserve, including some shows which seem doomed to be cancelled for low ratings (Fringe getting a 4th season comes to mind), but those exceptions seem to be in the small minority, as the networks tend to favor what is safe over what is good. With Community, if I'm being honest, I'm not really hoping for "six seasons and a movie." If they can make it happen, and not make it seem like they're stretching the series out too long, then I certainly wouldn't complain, but I'd be more than happy if they simply let it live out to its natural end, at the end of a 4th season. That way, it (hopefully, and arguably) would not get stale, and would give the writers enough time to plan out a satisfying ending for the characters we love. And, as has been mentioned, getting renewed for a 4th season would let the show be syndicated, so it would be win-win. Anyway, it's this kind of thing which has gotten me more tired of the networks' BS, and over the last year or so, I've actually put more faith into Netflix, and other potential alternatives to regular TV. Even before the announcement that they were planning to get into original programming, I felt that there was potential there, to side-step all the garbage that happens on network TV these days. And that feeling has increased with each new announcement about a new show they're making, especially with the announcement of Arrested Development coming back. If it's popular enough, who knows what else can happen later on. If Community gets cancelled, I'd love it to be picked up by Netflix, or some other alternative which will give it the chance it deserves. But I'd rather not have it cancelled in the first place.
Jan 07, 2012
I wouldn't be too sad if Community doesn't get a third season. I think this season has already been pretty weak compared to the outstanding first and second seasons. I wouldn't blame NBC as well, cause they gave it a third season despite bad ratings. The NBC of today is pretty sensible when it comes to decisions, they try to give everything the benefit of the doubt. Community needs to get back on its track which is pure comedy. This season has seen too much drama already.
Jan 21, 2012
Streets Behind. You can't be that bigger fan if you've given up on the show when I think the season looks great and is great from the clips I've seen of it (wish the third season was in my country). Abed is ashamed of you.
Jan 08, 2012
I don't understand why people don't get that the third season has been amazing? They've put so much character development and hilarity into episodes that were already hard to make.
Jan 07, 2012
I agree with the comments comparing this show to Arrested Development. Arrested would fit perfectly with today's comedies but it was too far ahead of its time when it aired. Community is a very smart comedy. It is pushing new boundaries and unfortunately for those who enjoy it, it is pushing them too soon for the majority of the population to catch on. NBC, you would be idiots if you cancelled this show, it is amazing.
Jan 07, 2012
Community is an amazing show to anyone who has seen it, except for those less intelligent people. NBC doesnt have much going for it right now. I sure hope they wouldnt cancel their best comedy.
Jan 07, 2012
I have a feeling Community is going to become the next Arrested Development. Too smart for the average viewer but it's going to be cherished as a cult favorite for a long time. At least some day we'll have an Arrested Development movie. Still crossing my fingers - Six Seasons and a Movie!
Jan 07, 2012
I'm glad that it's not getting shafted. If it goes down, then it goes down in a blaze of glory.
Jan 07, 2012
my roomate's aunt makes $83/hr on the laptop. She has been without work for 8 months but last month her pay was $8682 just working on the laptop for a few hours. Read more on this site...Nuttyrich . com
Jan 07, 2012
How much of her clothes does your roommate's aunt have to remove in front of her laptop webcam?
Jan 07, 2012
We shouldn't have to hear this news, because we shouldn't have had to see the news saying "Community shelved".
Jan 07, 2012
Honestly after NBC cancelled Outsourced I lost alot of faith in them, now they are talking about booting Community? Well if they do then I'm out and that's it. Maybe the problem with NBC is that they have so many good ideas and want to try them all. Well guess what NBC, I would rather see two seasons of a show that I like than one season of two shows I like. So stick with what you got, don't screw with perfection.
Jan 07, 2012
no wonder they wanted to cancel it...all the freakin cast look like clowns
Jan 07, 2012
If you don't like the show then why read the story, honestly are you just trying to start a fight? Fans love their show, how dare we!
Jan 07, 2012
who cares...enough with this show already
Jan 21, 2012
Obviously you like soppy hospital dramas. If you're going to make fun of a show I like then I'll make fun of shows you like that I don't follow because you have the time to complain on an article about a show you probably know nothing about. I don't like Justin Bieber, doesn't mean I go onto EVERY article about him and say how much I dislike him, in fact I don't go onto any articles in the first place because I'd rather read about people I actually respect, like this cast. The cast is not ugly, I mean if you have eyes you can see that. And if you think they're ugly you probably look like a hairy swollen wart that covered in puss. Just saying.

Also you're streets behind.
Jan 07, 2012
I watch a lot of TV. Community is one of my top five favorite shows. I hope NBC gives it another season.

I'm still mad at NBC for cancelling Andy Barker, P.I. It only made it for 6 episodes. In the TV biz fans don't matter much. It's how much the network can charge for advert time.
6 seasons and a movie guys
Jan 07, 2012
Nothing weird survives on primetime TV. We're lucky we got three seasons of this amazing show. The only hope we have is if one of the cable channels decides to snag Community, because I can't imagine the show is that expensive to make.
Jan 21, 2012
I'm sorry but you're acting out the, "the glass is half empty" perspective. I'd rather be a, "the glass is half full," in that I believe this show has a good chance of coming back. Even better still, "the glass is too big". Maybe we're expecting too much of an amazing and underrated show that has been constantly battling to get even a tiny share of it's terribly competitive time-slot. If we have to talk gloom and doom we have to at least see it in a better time-slot where it has a chance to make better ratings. :)
Jan 07, 2012
Well I guess we have to be happy that he said as much as he did. But we MUST get a fourth season and I still want it to be full length. That would be enough. I mean it was always going to require some creative plotting to explain a fifth season anyway,...Unless...they could switch the structure from one school year per season to one school day per episode - like Lost. Then we could have many more seasons. But it's probably the worst time for me to be speculating on that. For the moment I'm thankful for small favours.
happy, happy happy!
Jan 07, 2012
the one and only thing I find hard to understand is that: eeeeeeverybody is tellin how good this show is, claim that they watch it religiously, follow it in almost every social media pool to make it a straigthforward winner, and yet the ratings of the show is pretty low (that they suspend it over whitney.. really this must be even more pissing off, I still dont know how that thing is still running); there is something wrong in this math.. how does the rating system work in USA?
Jan 07, 2012
It's an archaic system that involves either having a meter that monitors your viewing habits or you get a diary in which you record your viewing habits. If you don't have one you don't count. Instead they use statistics from those who do either of the above to calculate what everyone else watches.

With all kinds of different avenues for watching a show (DVR, Hulu, etc.), you would think they would keep up with what is current and going to be the future. The failure is on the networks' part of not realizing this and demanding a better product to measure what shows are being watched.

Sorry if this is a rant but I'm fed up with how technology is sweeping through our country yet the ratings people, Nielsen, can't properly measure viewership.
Jan 21, 2012
Don't forget that a few hundred Neilson boxes makes a million viewers. So basically if you went and paid a couple hundred people with these boxes to watch the show you'd get at least another million viewers. It's total rubbish! 25, 000 boxes representing (as far as I know, I'm not American you see) millions upon millions. It's complete rubbish and makes no sense!
E. Pluribus "Anus"
Jan 07, 2012
We need a season 4! C'mon Greenblatt! You saw the plan for the show just like the rest of us during Abed/Troy's rap scene in the Christmas episode! We want a season 4!
Hooray!!! ...well....sort of.....

I mean seriously though, why do we need a 4th season of Community--after all, we can always watch the comic stylings of 'Are You There, Chelsea?' (starring Chelsea Handler, winner of Tramp Magazine's "whore of the year award") and 'Whitney' (Gollum's little sister and orc rights activist)
Jan 08, 2012
Are you serious? Community, is by far better than anything Are You There Chelsea will churn out. It's smart, funny, and at the very least it deserves a fourth season to finish out the school storyline. It's the funniest show I have ever watched, and that's saying a fair bit. I love sitcoms.

And saying we can watch Whitney really demotes from your credibly to recommend shows. Most people think it's one of the dumbest things they've ever watched, Myself included. I gave it a chance, and it's just now funny, plain and simple.

With Community, I laugh hard every episode, and it's got a lot more heart than anything Whitney or Are You There Chelsea could compete with.
Jan 08, 2012
you couldn't tell that they were kidding by the fact that they called whitney gollum's little sister/an orc rights activist? or by the fact that they said whitney and are you there chelsea were better than community?
Jan 07, 2012
it should comeback , if not .. fans will turn their peacock into pussycat ..

if anyone catch what i am saying
Jan 07, 2012
I don't get it. Loyal (albeit not huge) following. Critical darling. Continuously winning reader polls (here and TV Guide). Yet NBC is still hemming and hawing over the fate of this show. The way NBC treats this show is reminiscent of how they treated "Scrubs". My prediction? "Whitney" is out and NBC falls in behind "Community". Well, until their next "sure thing" pilot...
Staff
Jan 07, 2012
The "not huge" is what does it. I'd hate to think this will join the graveyard of beloved cult shows cut short too soon, but if it does it will still retain a legendary status and street cred, like My So-Called Life, Strangers With Candy and Arrested Development .
Jan 07, 2012
NBC really needs to figure out if they want to foster a great show or dump it in another feeble attempt to find a cheap, popular show. And if it's the latter, they may as well kiss their network goodbye, as you can only circle the drain for so long.
Jan 07, 2012
When I saw this headline I was about to rejoice to the heavens and sing a heartfelt rendition of "Hallelujah". But my elation soon dissipated after reading Greenblatt's bullsh*t quote of intentional vagueness. (sigh) NBC doesn't deserve a show of Community's caliber. All we can do is spread the word to every man, woman and child (above 12 . . . unless you're a really precocious 12 year old) to watch Community when it comes back.

SIXSEASONSANDAMOVIE!
Jan 07, 2012
I wasn't worried about Community really. I knew it would be back. And a season 4 in my mind is a sure thing. Reaching 88 episodes having already 71-73 ( I don't know how many episodes season 3 will have ) is a must for syndication. Cancelling community now is losing money, making a 4th season is making money...so easy renewal there IMO.

My money on: They add a couple of episodes this season for a total of 26 episodes, start airing in June, July til December ( it depends how well is doing the new show on community slot ) and in 2013 a 13 episode season. And then, sadly, if ratings stay this way the show will be cancelled =(

Let's hope for sixseasonsandamovie, but I will be happy with 88 episodes...and a movie.
Jan 21, 2012
I think while most of what you say is right, Community was put in a highly competitive and impossible timeslot and was crushed. 30 Rock doesn't seem to be doing any better (actually this week it did worse) so I think in a way the NBC executives can't blame Community for ratings, more it's horrendous time-slot that is sucking away numbers from another show they put there after much thought and is still struggling like crazy. In a better time-slot it could do well.
Jan 07, 2012
Perhaps, but these are the people that dumped Conan for Jay Leno. Cancelled Southland and have done a ton of other stupid mistakes for reasons only known in their tiny little minds.
Jan 07, 2012
I agree. The smart business decision is to bring Community back for a 4th season. But we're talking about NBC. So who the hell knows what they're going to do.
Jan 07, 2012
I may have been naive, but I always assumed Community was going to come back and finish off season 3. The bigger problem is that I want my Community fix as soon as possible; not after a hiatus!
Jan 07, 2012
Sounds like a summer burn-off. Although NBC will need something to fill Chuck's Friday slot next year.
Jan 07, 2012
Well 30 rock is taking the place of Community on thursday. So it will be interesting to see how it does against The Big Bang Theory. But for the exec to say that is a cop out. Because 30 Rock is also in a precarious position because this is supposed to be Alec Baldwin's last season. So for me, it seems that they are just sending it there to die. The real issue for me is what the in hell did Whitney due to deserve being switched to an optimum time of wed at 8pm. Going up against a very mediocre show in the middle. That should be Community's spot and there it would cream The Middle. Gain back it's following and flourish.

I have an idea, I am going to watch The Middle on Wed which I don't like because the little kid creeps me out and it really isn't that great of a show. And hope that I add to the creaming of Whitney. I don't have to worry about Are You there Chelsea. Because that is going to be taken care of by the juggernaut that is Suburgatory which keeps getting better every week. And seeing the previews, Are You There Chelsea is going to SUCK. Chelsea Handler is a good comedian and a great talk show host. But she is wooden as an actress and her jokes are going to fall flat. And Laura Prepon hasn't been good since That 70's Show. And they deserve to be decimated by the competition. As does NBC in general. Why go for cheap barely there laughs instead of witty intelligent laughs that Community brings to a very lack luster year of comedies. The cast is deep there with talent and bankable future stars in contrast to Whitney who has a decent comedian that can't act and the rest who are forgettable as characters. And Chelsea who has a good comedian that can't act, an ok actress that isn't going to be able to pull it off and no one else.

I tell ya what NBC sell the rights to Community to USA or FX or Comedy Central. Where they appreciate good shows. You don't deserve it. You can do a lot for Community you could change up the time and since it is more of an adult oriented show. Put it on later, put it on in The Office's spot or put it up against Rob at 830. You could do a lot for it that hasn't even been tried. Speaking of which, The Office is in its last throws or well it should be. As will be 30 rock if Alec leaves. You need to be cultivating good shows while you still have it. So kiss my arse Greenblat.
Jan 21, 2012
I actually think that shows pretty good, I mean Community is a million trillion times better but that show is so much better than a comedy like Two and a Half Men. Actually just about any comedy makes that show look terrible. I don't live in America though.
Jan 07, 2012
I bow to you sir! Quick everyone hear start watching The MIddle! (with the sound muted of course. Can Nielsen detect the mute button?)
Jan 07, 2012
I wish to God you were an NBC executive. But that would mean they would have someone with actual intelligence working for them. We all know how they feel about that.
Jan 07, 2012
Genius!!! Why didn't I think of watching what is competing with that turd they call Whitney?! Thank you for the great idea. I feel so stupid for not thinking of that sooner.

Jan 07, 2012
Unfortunately I've stopped believing anything these execs say a long time ago, even though Greenblatt said this during a press tour. It's exactly as you said Tim, these statements are always about calming people. I wish this guy could have signed this message of his with his own blood, but I guess that's too much to ask. I guess I just have to hope that what he is saying is actually true.
Jan 07, 2012
The NBC is in deep trouble, and Community has a loyal audience (unlike most of the shows in NBC's grill) so if I were Bob, I would cancel shows like The Apprentice or Whitney and renew shows like Community and Parks & Recreation. If you can't have ratings at least have decent shows.
Jan 07, 2012
Well, isn't that a breath of fresh air. But the war isn't over, friends, we need to get exposure out there telling people to WATCH COMMUNITY. We need magazine cover story. Quick, someone send a fax to Entertainment Weekly. People have to be watching when it returns, or else it won't return. Troy and Abed's lives are at stake here, people.
Jan 07, 2012
I hope whatever shows takes the spot Community is currently airing on will also get low ratings. Hopefully even much worse ratings. Just to show that it's not Community that's the problem, it's NBC.
Jan 21, 2012
30 Rock is not doing any better in it's two episodes that have aired. I think this shows that it's the time, not the show.