NBC cancels My Own Worst Enemy

The fall season has its first high-profile cancellation (we're not counting The Ex-List). NBC has put the kibosh on the ballyhooed My Own Worst Enemy, reports Variety. The word came down last night after My Own Worst Enemy once again fizzled in the ratings department, with Monday night's episode drawing only 5.2 million viewers and a 2.3 rating/6 share among key demographics.

Riding a flood of publicity, My Own Worst Enemy was one of NBC's brightest new entries when it debuted on October 13 in the time slot behind the struggling Heroes. But the show never caught on with viewers, and Heroes' dwindling numbers and competition from Monday Night Football and Dancing With the Stars probably didn't help get the word out, either.

My Own Worst Enemy marked Christian Slater's debut as a leading television man. He played a man with two lives--one as a suburban family man and one as a super spy--that eventually converge after not knowing the other existed for some time.

The debut season of My Own Worst Enemy will be cut short, completing nine episodes of its 13-episode order. The show's fourth segment aired this past Monday.

My Own got pwned. What do you think--is this show worth organizing a "save the show" campaign around? Or should we just let it go?

VIDEO: Between Takes with Christian Slater

This was such a great show! I dont understand why they canceled it. Its not even like EVERYONE hated it. There were a great number of people who enjoyed the show. And what is with the way it ended, they could have at-least wrapped up the end of the season, to give those who actually like the show some closer.
My husband and I LOVE this show and are SO disappointed that it isn't returning. Christian Slater did an awesome job of playing both characters!
The show at least needs an ending. The last episode left a great deal out. So while the show might not be able to continue, it should give a small direct-to-DVD movie for the fans.
yup another great show down the tubes
This totally sucks as it is a well written interesting show. What the hell goes on in the publics minds that they would ignore a gem like this? Not Happy!
I mark this as more of a failing of NBC than the show. There were some flaws to the show, but most definitely is that it's own NBC, placed in a time slot that for that network is now the kiss of death, and what we've seen often from NBC Universal is a cut quick and bed*mned letting a show develop an audience or promote a show to gain. They might as well have made Monday nights after Heroes the variety show hour or a two hour news block because they did My Own Worst Enemy in much worst than any ratings or review of the show itself, IMO. Too bad most producers can't or don't shop their works to other networks, but after a strike such as cancellation, only a successive movie follow-up can revive a series these days.
I guess the only thing that Networks want to produce anymore is reality TV. With the economy in the tank people could use a bright spot and a well produced, written and acted show can bump up the spirits. Look what the depression did for the movies! Can we get some network executives to stop looking at the numbers for a minute and stand behind their decision, let people find and get interested, there is too much on TV to expect a decent show to find it's audience in the first 9 episodes. Look at Cheers! Come on guys.
thats weak! We liked it.
Don't kill this show, give it a chance, You start a that is not know yet with no fans yet and put it against football night, come on just because it is not competing with football on rating level does not deserve to die change it to another day, and put an old show with lots of followers against Monday night football. I hate these Show killers.
Another great show not given a chance, I give up watching any new shows on any of the networks because all the shows I like get cancelled . Maybe the networks can hire me to rate there shows they can save themselves a lot of effort by asking me if I like it.
Sucks. The wife an I liked the show.
They should have let it continue to run. Stupid decision to cancel so soon.
Yeah i hate the people how decide what show must be canceled!
now I'm pissed! I loved this show! I thought it was really cool! nbc sucks for cancelling this! >:-O
i really liked this show...at first, but to me it just got a little tired. i stopped watching it about 5 or 6 episodes in so it doesn`t shock me that it got cancelled. to me it just seemed boring since you knew edward was going to 'wake up' during his normal life and henry would 'wake up' while on a spy mission. i also think that with some re-tooling it could have done very well and i really did enjoy christian slater. it`s just too bad that it got boring and on the verge of predictible, because i do think this show had some potential.
the show was canceled too.I loved the show is was someyhing new on tv.Like Jason Bourne tv show.And it was a nice show to looke at on Mondays after Heroes,it was great for me because I'd watched Terminator on fox 5 and then Heroes on NBC and the My own worst enemy @ 10pm, now I got nothing
SAVE IT!!!!!!! One of the most original and best made shows in a while...
I haven't watched prime time shows when they are aired for over a year. I set the DVR or I watch it on Hulu. My Own Worst Enemy is one (along with Life, Bones, and Fringe that I exclusively watch on Hulu. Other shows like House, NCIS, CSI, and Without a Trace I use my DVR and watch them later. I guess people like myself are never counted in ratings. And if I were to guess I would bet there are a lot of people out there just like me.
Having discovered this show online, I am aghast to find out that they have canceled after only nine episodes.
It is one the best shows I have watched in recent times, and it hasn't even aired in Australia yet.
Not everything in life revolves around or relies on percentage points.
Come On People, Let's Save Save The Show. The Plot Was Brilliant It Had So Many Twists And Turns And I Loved It. This Was An Original Show That Was Executed Beautifully.
WHAT PLANET AM I ON!!!!!

NBC HAS A SHOW LIKE NO OTHER.....SERVES ACTION, DRAMA, AND COMEDY.....AND THEY CANCELS IT. A REALLY GOOD SCREW UP FOR NBC....KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!
UNBELIEVABLE!!!! That is so crazy. You start a new show. You bring the characters so close that we can smell them. You lure us into a (good) weird story and as soon we love it - you cancel it. And not enough with that. You do not even think you owe it to the audience to finish (in a professional way) the show! You leave us in the middle of nowhere. Christian Slater - is a movie actor. And he was brilliant on the show. A shame you could not see you own 'baby' as it was. Great! Adam - disappointed
NBC is dumb. At least run the show on Hulu or something.
What is it with NBC.. every year we have the oppotunity to start with new shows with fresh ideas which are great.... remember Journeyman... Now here was something we've never seen before and it is GREAT... Christian Slater is one of the few actors who can pull off such a role with success... Now it gets cancelled.... NBC WAKE UP!!! this is a great show
Thank god I'm not (literally) the only one who watches and enjoys this show. My brother and I crash on the couch in front of the television every Monday night for 3 hours watching NBC nonstop, and we don't understand why ...Enemy is getting the axe. At least it's not just us.
By the way, for the few that may not have heard, NBC's answer to declining ratings (and revenue) for the 10pm to 11pm time slot? Jay Leno, 5 nights a week! Is this good or bad? I don't know. I like Jay but I guess prefer to watch him on late night TV, not during prime time.
I really liked My Own Worst Enemy. I watched all 9 episodes and I'm sorry it was canceled.

Here is my take on why shows like MOWE get canceled:
Unfortunately they don't have a reliable way to count the time shift viewers, that is DVR users and yes, the people who still record on tape. Not only can't they count them, there is no reason to count them anyways. Why? The ratings are used for ad revenue, most of the people who time shift don't watch the commercials and that includes me.

I don't mind commercials and even the bad ones I will watch once or twice but I don't want to see the same commercial over and over again. There have been times when I've seen the same one 5 or more times in one evening. I don't even want to watch good commercials that much. They need a larger variety of commercials. I think Geico is on the right track with several different types of commercials such as the caveman and famous spokesperson commercials but even they repeat those way too much.

If the networks are going to raise their ratings, they need to have something that will make people watch their shows while they are being broadcast. Maybe something like what radio stations have done for years, such as an announcement during the commercial break to call in, text a message or visit a website at a certain time.

Until the networks and the advertisers do something to keep people watching both the shows and the commercials, about the only place you are going to see a lot of good shows survive over a season or 2 is on channels like HBO and Showtime, where they don't rely on commercial advertising revenue. Maybe HBO or Showtime could pick up MOWE.
network television sucks
NBC pulled this same bull$hit last year with Journeyman. I am truly getting tired of watching network television. You stupid bastards don't deserve my time or my loyalty.
This is because people are too damn stupid to invest themselves in a good television show. NBC will most likely fill the gap with some BS reality show -- something trivial that will keep the sheep entertained. How pathetic.
I LOVE THIS SHOW
Go sign this petition to keep it on!!!

This is the best series I have seen in a very long time. Great acting, intriguing story line...just needs a better time slot to catch on.
They Keep Shows Like Knight Rider But Drop Shows Like This???? Am I Missing Somthing????
First off, This was the best new show, and 2nd any show I like I TIVO and watch later, 2nd choices get watched live, so until they can clearly count dvr's they will not get a true measure of the ratings, I know I can not be the only one to watch their favorites dvr'd, and sometimes I wait to get 3 or 4 eps together to have a mini marathon, I know they do not take this into account. I like some of the law and orders, cold case etc, but I like serialized dramas to, and this was one of the best I thought. Too Bad.
WOW I can't believe that this series is going the way of Firefly...I mean really....it was a new innovative show. There must be something that can be done....sending emails to NBC needs to start. So they are basing this on some select people that have one of those Nielson boxes on their tv! I think they should honestly have people check out sites like this before they make another stupid mistake
OK, let me just give the people at NBC a little lesson on the real world. I work 2nd shift and therefore am not able to watch primetime TV shows when they air, however I do watch all my favorite shows either online or thru my DVR. So shouldn't they decide the merits of a show based on how many viewers TOTAL a show is getting? Why is it that these corporate people all seem to think that everyone works banker's hours? Have they never heard of 2nd or 3rd shift workers? Before they axe a show that i have personally turned my entire extended family onto, they need to look at the WHOLE PICTURE, not just the view thru their tunnel-visioned eyes.
Why should viewers invest time watching new shows if Networks cancel them before giving them a chance? I was enjoying the concept. Christian Slater was great playing the two different characters. Disappointed NBC is cancelling the show.
SAVE THE SHOW! This is one of the BEST shows to come on TV in a loooooong time, and those that think the show is not worth watching probably haven't watched it! It's all the great spy movies rolled into one TV show, starring Christian Slater, who does a fabulous job in both roles (although more so as Edward, IMO). Whatever you want, this show has it: action, suspense, romance, gadgets, espionage, top-secret missions, treason--that's just to name a few. This show is awesome and it strives to keep aloof from a lot of the filth off that we see these days on other shows. If you haven't watched it yet, start tonight! Catch up on the episodes! YOU WILL LOVE THIS SHOW!
I was just thinking tonight as I caught up on the last two episodes dvr'd what great production value the show has for TV, plus how nice
it is to have good actors, like C.S. join us in the TV world. Nielson is seriously out of touch on how we really watch TV these days.
I just got the news. THIS IS RETARDED!!! The show was getting really good and I looked forward to seeing it every week. I am seriously disappointed in NBC for this.
I was extremely sad when I heard they were cancelling the show. Why?? It’s an awesome show with a very intriguing premise. Much better than anything on TV right now. I was actually excited to be watching network TV again! Even though I am really disappointed, I have to be thankful that they aren't just yanking it off the air-that they will at least finish the shows they already have in the can. I'm really hoping another network - or even a cable network will pick this show up. Slater is an awesome actor and the show has wonderful potential. What a waste.
Really disappointed to hear this :-( How can they cancel a show after 9 eps? How do they know if will be successful or not after so few shows, it's a joke! So 9 eps of a show that i think had potential and Smallville is still on the air?!? I give up!
Well duh....it's cancelled. They put it in a horrible time slot. Up against some good shows and Monday Night Football. We need to bring it back. I think it's a great show with plenty of potential.
Aww man, I loved this show... I agree it was missing something, but it had potential. A good story line. Too bad, i wish they'd reconsider. :(
That's too bad. It's a really good show.
love the show. i'm only getting it via itunes tv store... as they have yet to start it in any other parts of the world. like most good shows, placing in a slot where it fights a pre stated slot makes it unable to build the momentum it needs. why do they do this to good shows. the tv exec's should have known this would happen or are they just holding slots for crap to get thru the cracks.

in a hotly contested day/hour for tv it only makes sense to place the show in a space it can grow and then move it to a bigger playing field.its only logical. now we say good bye to a pretty entertaining show.
This, personally, is probably the best new show this season. I was appalled that it was being canceled! Some aspects could be changed, but canceled? I've come to the conclusion that the American public couldn't quite handle to complexity of the plot and migrated to other series for their mindless fix (eg. Kath and Kim...) I definitely find it worth saving, as Christian Slater performs very, very well and it does have very intriguing and unique plot points.
ooh good so the network can finally get around to more "good" programing like "The Biggest Loser Celebrity Addition" and Howie Mandell........good to know they have their proprieties in order. I didn't watch the show but it sounded like it had an interesting premiss to bad that Quantity allways wins over Quality!
I love this show, it could use some retooling, but not cancellation! Christian Slater is such a great actor and always seems to miss his calling. I don't know if it's timing, support, or what, but Christian deserves his time to shine. I thought this show was going to be it. Yes we should try and save this show, or let scifi have it and make it better! Look what they did with SG1
Hello Everyone,
My name is Stephan Muskus.

Like you I am a huge fan of My Own Worst Enemy and just like you I am very upset with NBC’s choice to cancel are show. Even like you I have signed the petition to save the show, but I feel it will not be enough and that the heads of NBC will throw it away, throw us away.

I say we don’t let them. I say we should united, and that the millions of us around are great nation who love this show should come out on Monday the 24th and gather at the steps of NBC to protest and to show are love for this show. In California we need to rally here at 3000 West Alameda Avenue, Burbank (this is the studio were I will be) and in New York we need to rally here at 30 Rockerfeller Plaza and for the rest of us who cant go to these places you should rally at your nearest NBC news station or at any news station. There we will bring are voices, there we shall bring are petition. If we fight, and make ourselves heard, we will save are show. So please bring your friends, family, or anyone willing to help.

On Monday the 24th I know if we do this we shall save are show. Please contact me at savemowe@gmail.com Let us the fans save are show.
Load More Comments