NBC Cancels The Player but Will Let It Play Out Its Hand

It's game over for The Player! And with that opening I join every single other writer on the internet who said that. NBC is hedging its bet and has cut the action series' episode order from 13 to just nine rather than doubling down with a back nine, meaning the show is canceled and the first season is already halfway over. Bummer, I kinda like this goofy show.

NBC rolled the dice on the Wesley Snipes series about a man who is brought into a secret organization that allows super rich people to bet on whether or not an ex-security expert can stop crimes before they happen. The gamble didn't pay off and it crapped out in the ratings; The Player never got beginner's luck and busted in its debut with just a 1.2 rating in the 18-to-49 demo, making it a longshot to get a full season.

Even though it was dealt a strong hand by being positioned behind the reliable Blacklist, audiences folded. I thought the odds were in the show's favor after a strong pilot that I went all-in on, but the most recent episode took a bad beat with a 0.8 rating. That's just an ace over Minority Report and its 0.7 rating, which forced Fox to sit on its bet and cut the show off at 10 episodes, positioning it as the first player out.

NBC will let the The Player finish out the deal, and you can wager that all nine episodes will air. But after that, it's no more action and The Player will split.

Phew! That's 21 instances of gambling wordplay in the story. I win!

Will you miss The Player?

Apr 19, 2016
I agree they don't give any shows enough of a chance the way they use to do. I was born in 1974 so I'm only 41 but I'd say at least u of all new shows lasted at least 5 seasons give or take. Television is has been & is becoming worse all the time & it doesn't matter whether it streaming or any of that stuff.
Apr 16, 2016
That is why I don't like watching new shows because you guys always take it off air every time people get interested into it you guys put it on late you don't promote it but it's a good show I need to keep it on me and my family members watch it
Apr 03, 2016
I never thought I'd see this season collapse even before it got to its real climax ... I mean Wesley snipes is back and a new actress Cristina is captivating then poof gone ... that was never cool
Mar 24, 2016
Seriously Y'all bring in new shows just to cancel them? I love westley snipes and I love the show Y'all are stupid for cancelling the show
Mar 15, 2016
I loved this show and only began watching it this week was even contemplating a cameo by Winchester's co lead actor from strike back in one episodes I was hooked to the storyline ....just wrong that these big wigs cancel very entertaining shows ... Constantine cancellation left a hole in me and now The Player WTF canceling a show at a cliff hanger just sucks big time
Mar 12, 2016
With all the stupid shows that they have on television you were going to sit here and take off one of the best shows that you have because you decided to put it on too late for normal people to watch it. If you would have put that on 8 o'clock it would have been fine it would have blew up I promise you because that was one of the best shows you had on the fall series. I cannot believe that and then let that dumb show 100 stay on the air I cannot stand that come on please how many more space people get lost. Player with Innovative idea it was new it had never been done and it was a very very very good series and you take it off or something that's been done a hundred different ways. I swear to you the head honchos at NBC must not watch TV at all because if they did they realized that a lot of people getting tired of watching stuff like 100 and have never seen a show like player and if they would have let it run I guarantee you it would have been the best show on TV at least one of them.
Mar 11, 2016
Those NBC GUYS SUCK. That was a great show! I was hooked on the story line for sure and the acting was great! They need a new system for ratings!
Feb 14, 2016
this was one of the most hyped and favoured shows and it was so awesome and i just dont get how they do their ratings to be honest this was a major flop on their part they got it wrong but the show itself was awesome andd i was right into it but then just like that they end it i was quite looking forward to seeing what happens next and i hope they bring it back or someone revives it please i wanna see what happens next. Bring back the player please bring it back
Feb 05, 2016
This was one of my favorites. I don't understand why it was cancelled. I don't normally watch NBC. Now that I have and found something I enjoy, its cancelled. GET IT TOGETHER NBC!!
Jan 31, 2016
This is twice NBC has gotten it wrong. I really loved the Player as well as Believe. I don't think they gave the shows enough time to find its core audience. I wish they would reconsider!!!!!!!!!
Jan 19, 2016
That's bull they can't even finish out the season?!! This was a great show!!!! NBC has a bunch of idiots!!!! So many shows left on that suck!!! Now we won't ever find out who is going after everyone and where Ginny is!!!! Sucks!!!!!
Jan 15, 2016
One of my very favorite shows --The Player was perfect right where it was. The new show replacing it is not enjoyable to me. NBC doesn't know what it is doing.
Dec 19, 2015
I honestly like Wesley in this series, all of the cast did really well and everyone had a part to play. Very good plot twists, towards the end you thought everyone was expendable. I am rather sad to see it go.

Dec 09, 2015
Why do Networks get rid of so many excellent shows in there first season? It can't be all just ratings because so many people now own a dvr and record the shows they missed or just buy it on one of the streamed web sites.
This Player to me is connected with the popular show Blindspot, and Cinemax's highly regarded hit "Strike Back" because the male leads in both The Player and Blindspot were together in Strike Back. I watched every episode of both shows and I can't figure out how Blindspot is getting better ratings then "The Player". Dont get me wrong I like both shows a lot but "The Player" to me and my friends is clearly the better of the two. "The Player" if given a second season would prove that it was just over looked and return with a highly improved tv rating. Help save "The Player".
Dec 06, 2015
And this is why I'm not bothering with new TV series anymore. Show's cancelled even before the end of the season, stories not finished, and now I just feel like I've been ripped off.
You'd have thought after Star Trek being cancelled in the 60s to now being one of the longest running sci-fis in the world it would have taught them something.
Anyway, I'll just stick to downloading them, saving them until the end of the first season, and then watch the whole series over a weekend. I guess I'll learn to do this one day.
RLT
Dec 05, 2015
The show is fantastic! Brainless Program Schedulers, this is for you! How To Get Away With Murder, ever heard of it? Renew, the show, then, now pay real close ATTENTION! SCHEDULE IT ON A TUESDAY, OR FRIDAY, 8/9 pm. The above mentioned show, well as, Scandal, & Empire are on Wed. & Thurs. Series that are on in the same time slot on those days, FORGET ABOUT IT! All this show needs is a change from it's current slot! Even Law & Order SVU dropped off when Empire started airing. Instead of cancelling the show, Cancel those BRAINLESS PROGRAM SCHEDULERS! Just stating my entitled opinion.
Nov 26, 2015
Just reunite the Strike Back team already!! Move Philip Winchester to Blindspot.
Dec 09, 2015
An excellent idea
Nov 26, 2015
Fuck NBC
Nov 24, 2015
I'm glad I saw this article. Instead of watching the episodes I have on my DVR, I can delete the show without watching them since it's been cancelled.
Nov 24, 2015
This is really a shame, but doesn't surprise me at all: I LOVE THIS SHOW!!! Therefore, they will cancel it. Other shows I loved that have been canceled before a full season are Surviving Jack and Growing Up Fisher. I had barely even found those two before they were gone...at least I've seen all aired episodes of The Player. I even still have the pilot on my DVR!!! What can I say? I like the action and the characters, and it is an unusual take on cops and robbers. I do not like Person of Interest, which gets to stay. For those who totally misinterpreted this show, I say, it's too bad you never learned to pay attention!
Nov 23, 2015
Now he can go be on Blindspot .. so we can have a reunion :)
Dec 09, 2015
I would like to see both shows remain, but connect them in some way. Other Networks connect there series for a few episodes. I think to help capture some viewers. It sure would be great to see the two actors do there on screen majic again.
Nov 20, 2015
So this new practice of cutting down episodes instead of canceling shows is troubling to me if the shortened season ends with no questions answered. At least a full season would have given time to finish some of the story plot lines. Because aren't most of the episodes already filmed? Well at least Monica the Medium got renewed for a 2nd season???
Nov 20, 2015
I loved the Player its a fresh show with a lot of twits and turns. The story is really starting to come together! It was just on a bad night with competition from other great shows on the same night at the same time. They should try and move it to another night maybe after Blindspot on Mondays, or Tuesdays and see if ratings pick up. You except shows to survive when its in competition to more popular shows on the same night. I hate when networks cram all the good shows that come on two days a week and the rest of the week their is nothing to watch. SO DISAPPOINTING, AGAIN ANOTHER GOOD SHOW GONE !!!!!
Nov 20, 2015
My husband and I really enjoyed "The Player". We were looking forward to every new episode. We couldn't wait to see what adventure awaited Alex the next week. Don't cancel this show.
Nov 20, 2015
Adventure Alex would be sent on.
Nov 20, 2015
My husband and I really enjoyed "The Player". It got more and more interesting with each episode. We were looking forward to each new episode to see what kind of
Nov 20, 2015
I really have enjoyed this show...I really hope that they find a way to keep it.. Don't cancel it!!!!
Nov 18, 2015
Honestly! Why not cancel a show after they've given it a FULL SEASON to develop?!?! There are more shows than I can count that had rocky starts but then took off 1/2 way through the season and became WINNERS for the Network(s).
Deciding to cancel a show after 5 episodes is simply ridiculous!!!! And another reason why more & more people are sticking by their 'normal' (tried and true) shows. Why bother starting ANY NEW SHOWS when they're just going to be cancelled without even giving them a chance to take off?!?
Shocking still is the number of shows that get renewed and are completely horrible (case in point-many (if not all) the new so called "comedies" that rolled out this fall).
Maybe I'll stick to HBO, Showtime, Cinamax, PBS, Netflix Original Series...at least they give there new shows a fighting chance with a full season!
Surprised at the number of new cop shows & hospital dramas that DO GET PICKED UP?!? No thanks! I'll be sticking to the original cop & doctor dramas. No need to watch the same shows-different actors.

Sorry for the rant! But I just wish they'd give new shows a chance to finish out there full 1st season and THEN decide if it'll get a second season or not.
Gosh! Whatever happened to just finishing what you started! If the Network believed in it enough to put it on there rosters to begin with then let it play out the season. Simple as that!!
Ps. For those of us that actually purchase a new show on iTunes and pay full price for a "Full Season" - it's such a waste of money and so incredibly unfair to the customers!
Shame on you Network Television!!
Nov 17, 2015
NBC can go suck an egg this was a good show and for them to cancel it shows they have no use for good shows NBC sucks!
Nov 16, 2015
one of the best shows out there and they cancel it , the man physically works harder than anyone ive seen ..to bad winchester ,you are awesome ,they lose
Nov 15, 2015
So frustrating that they finally get a series on that is different. Not a cop show or medical drama but a truly unique plot. Now to hear it's being replaced by another cop drama staring Jlo. Take a leap of faith and let the series play out. Heck, it worked for Castle and that is still on the air!!
Nov 13, 2015
The Player was one of two new network shows that I decided to watch this year. I will not make that mistake in the future. If the networks will not give a program a chance then I see no point in investing my time. NBC and ABC are both terrible when it comes to cancelling new shows.
Nov 13, 2015
Yes, I will miss The Player, I enjoyed the show. Why not more shows?
Nov 11, 2015
I was really enjoying this show! I am grateful we live in a time where SOMEONE can pick up this show and run with it and we will get to see it continue! Hoping someone out there picks it up!
Nov 11, 2015
My husband and I love this show. It's fresh and interesting. Why can't they just leave it alone .. I swear some people just need to go on an extended vacation.
Nov 10, 2015
The Player is really starting to cook! I hope another network picks it up.
Nov 10, 2015
I liked this show, I thought the story was interesting and loved the Wesley Snipes character. Too bad these shows are not given a chance to develop. I think it would only have gotten better.
Nov 09, 2015
Seriously, but they keep Blindspot? stupid move NBC. Blindspot sucks!

Oct 30, 2015
Sad, because i liked the action in this series. If people want realism, then i don't understand why they flock onto Game of Thrones, Supernatural etc. which is even less realistic.
Oct 29, 2015
NBC SUCKS
Oct 29, 2015
Sucky news. I've been really enjoying The Player. Hope we get some answers and resolution before it ends.
Oct 28, 2015
What do these people think they will get good ratings when you have something on at the same time as the nfl
Oct 26, 2015
Too. Many. Card. Puns.
Oct 26, 2015
Titles I'd like to see on the last 3 episodes:
"Always Bet on Black" Wesley Snipes, Vegas, an obvious choice. He does something to continue to foil/help The Player and it gives a big payout.
"Going Bust" This is the one where it looks like The Player not only lost a bet but may have lost his wife.
and finally
"The House Always Wins." Seeing as there's a connection between The House and the wife, The House uses her vast resources to unite The Player and his wife.
Oct 26, 2015
I'm reading lots of comments from people who liked the show (of course, you could expect it to be fans of the show who would read the article). And I watch it too, but I see why it's being cancelled.

It's premise is absolutely stupid, which is OK. Virtually every superhero show's premise is stupid too. It's all right to have a stupid premise. But if you do, the show has to revel in its stupidity with a very light, tongue-in-cheek feel. Think Scorpion, The Flash, or The Librarians. Wesley Snipes tried to do that. For example he would slip in an urban accent in scenes when he was dealing with people outside the game. He sounded like Al Sharpton slamming Republicans on MSNBC.

But the rest of the cast, writers, directors, et al, played it like it was Shakespearean tragedy. Every scene, every line, every moment of film time was heavy drama. But the premise was too stupid for it to be done with a heavy hand.

Maybe someone will learn something from it.
Nov 10, 2015
No the tone is pretty on par with the silliness of the premise. It's fun. Granted the flashbacks of the wife got tedious, but the show really started to find itself after the first three episodes.
Oct 30, 2015
Except Game of Thrones, Scandal, How to Get Away with Murder, CSI: Whatever, and every episode of Law & Order: Anything ever all take themselves as serious as an open chest heart massage and have some of the stupidest premises known to mankind. The only thing you have to do to stay on the air is have episodes that are entertaining enough to become popular with certain demographics. Tongue and cheek is as optional as action or anything else. As someone said below, the problem with the show is that he apparently was never going to lose. (turns out he didn't even lose his wife) They needed to have him lose big early on to actually add some suspense.
Oct 31, 2015
Hey, DPG, I agree with you insofar as them having painted themselves into a corner with him not able to lose (since everything was life or death). Don't forget though, that in the 2nd/3rd episode he DID lose one at the beginning of the show, that Snipes then parlayed into a second bet.

And I also agree that everything is about the ratings. But I do think you're wrong if you think being so heavy handed didn't turn audience members away. It didn't make the show unwatchable (hey, I watch it), but it sure hurt it bad. Imagine how much fun it could have been if they had played it like the first few years of Burn Notice.
Oct 26, 2015
C'mon NBC!, This is the only show I know by far that has action scene every 10mins or less regularly every epsd. Having a legend action man there ( Wes Snipe) is icing on carrot cake!...not sure a bout the bet thing but at least theres some linear narrative with the missing wife behind that bet game!
Oct 26, 2015
Darn it! I was enjoying The Player. I liked the action scenes, the acting and so on. Uh oh, since they've cut the episode count, that means things will end with a cliffhanger and/or no good conclusion to the wife storyline, right?
Oct 26, 2015
I really liked this show. Dang.
Oct 26, 2015
Nothing against Wesley Snipes and I am biased from being a Strike Back fan, but Philip Winchester is the best part of the The Player. Not a lot of it makes sense but because of his characters background, it makes sense that he would like that excitement of catching the bad guy. People are finally liking it, maybe not as many as NBC would like but logically, why start a new show that people have to get invested in all over again when it will most likely be much worse than The Player. I'll never understand networks. Only evil, mean people must work there. (bit of an overstatement...)
Oct 25, 2015
And here I was just getting into the show. So what is NBC bringing up once this is over some brain numbing show about some wannabe singer/dancer/poor little rich person looking for love or just another reality blows crap show.
Load More Comments