NBC Is Giving Up and Moving Smash to Saturdays

It's almost not even FUN to laugh at NBC's woes anymore. I mean, this is downright depressing. If NBC were your cat, you wouldn't even waste more time by taking it to a vet to have it euthanized, you'd just put its head in the doorway and slam the door three or four times. Throw in the towel! Call in the ref! Stop the fight!

NBC made a slew of scheduling changes today, indicating that it finally realizes this season is a total disaster and the sooner it can rebuild, the better. The biggest of those changes is moving Smash, once the network's most promising new drama, to... SATURDAYS. Beginning April 6, Smash will take the weekend shift at 9pm. NBC says all episodes of the drama, which is currently in its second season, will air. Last night's episode continued the series' dismal performance, drawing 2.89 million viewers and a 0.9 rating in the adult demo. The ratings for Season 2 have been the butt of many jokes in the business, and the likelihood of Smash getting a third season is about the same as that of me hitting a high note.

Go On, which started the season as one of the network's pleasant surprises, will get a two-week tryout on Thursdays after The Office on April 4 and April 11. This makes some sense, as Go On has always been a likely candidate to take over one of the Thursday-night spots being vacated by the The Office and 30 Rock. Good luck, Go On

The biggest winner in all this shuffling is the show that deserves it least, the Eva Longoria-produced dating reality show Ready for Love. The upcoming series, which follows three hot studs as professional matchmakers help them choose a lady from a pool of three dozen women, will debut on Tuesday, April 9, and get the plush post-The Voice slot that did wonders for Revolution and Go On. But this show will tank, and it will tank hard. And because it was supposed to air on Sundays, it won't have The Walking Dead or Game of Thrones to blame anymore. It's simply a really bad idea.

Other changes and announcements:

Celebrity Apprentice will expand to two hours starting April 14.

The New Normal's one-hour season finale will air April 2.

Whitney's one-hour season finale will air March 27.

As disastrous as all this sounds, THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT NBC NEEDS TO DO. Give up on this season. It has been a historically bad 2013 for the network, and the returns of The Voice and Revolution on March 25 aren't going to save it. Scorch the earth. Don't just pull out the table cloth, flip the whole damned table. Start new, start fresh. Completely change your strategy, NBC. Take some advice from The Hollywood Reporter's Tim Goodman, who says this is an opportunity to shake up network television. The sad thing is that NBC's development slate looks pretty terrible, as usual, so NBC is at least a season-and-a-half away from putting some sort of rally together. The best the network can hope for is to hold onto any momentum it has with The Voice and Revolution and work off those to shows for next season. Until then, NBC brass should come up with a strategy and then do the exact opposite.

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter if you want to: @TimAtTVDotCom

It would be a shame if they'd cancel Smash! I absolutely love the music, the story and the actors. It's one of my favorite shows!
Those of you saying NBC shows no loyalty haven't been paying attention. 30 Rock and Parks and Rec have had much longer runs than they deserve ratings wise. Also, Chuck got a last season and closure well after its ratings declined. Even Community's ratings do not support it lasting as long as it has. NBC has been a mess but I give them credit for viewer loyalty. They do not have a quick hook.
I so wanted Smash to be great and amazing. The first season had many, many, MANY flaws, but at least it had some focus. The second season actually shows a lot of potential, but seems to have lost it's sense of purpose. I just want them to get their shit together and let Megan Hilty sing her heart out every single week! Sigh.
Seriosly all they need to do is refocus the show to just Bombshell, and drop the Hit List plot. I watched the show for the formation of a "Smash" not "A Mediocre Rent Rip-Off"
This Show is So Gay... that's why !

in fact... Where are all the lesbians ?
I liked Smash better last season, but it's still a show i enjoy, so that's sad. as for the other i don't care very much although i follow go on and like it as well
the cat joke was really uncalled for!
Too funny! The SECOND show that I gave up on that is now about to be erased! Ha! As of the episode before the latest one, I cancelled my series recording and now it's moving to Saturdays?! Yeah, bye bye Smash! I hope to see Megan Hilty on my tv screen again one day only because she's my girl crush but otherwise good riddance to this show!
I think NBC is simply the first victim of reality shows gumming up the works. If the networks all fall prey to this easy way to make money and keep cancelling worthwhile scripted shows without giving them the proper chance to gain an audience then they're all as doomed as mom and pop stores are against WalMart and the Internet. I can't tell you how many times I've gotten into a show only to have the rug pulled from under me and although I do give new shows a chance I'm getting more wary as time goes on. Once a show is cancelled it's dead and some are like losing a good friend. More and more shows fail each year and the crop of new ones to replace them is getting leaner and leaner with each new season.NBC might not recover and then who's next?
I agree, the networks do fail epically when it comes to managing scripted series, but I think they still operate as if they are the only kids on the playground and the audience is somewhat captive, which we aren't. Even the History Channel is producing scripted drama now, and what's more, it's really, really good and they are setting and breaking their own ratings records. (For the record, I've not seen The Bible but did watch Hatfields & McCoys and Vikings.)

The Old School 3 must adapt or perish. They need to reexamine the "season" model, airing patterns and how they interact with fans, especially in the sectors like sci-fi where they have burned audiences, and modify their behavior, adopting something like what AMC does for The Walking Dead. AMC supports TWD so much it gave audiences first a 30 minute live discussion forum and then an hour after each episode to discuss. Fans can connect by phone, email, text, Facebook, Twitter, simul-sync to the show and there is even an app where fans can Dead themselves and potentially be featured on the Talking Dead. That is serious, full network support. The Old School networks couldn't even contemplate taking such a risk as TWD, let alone giving any show that level of serious media penetration. I am not saying every scripted drama could pull off its own "Talking-" live wrap-up, but if AMC does it for BrBa I'll definitely be tuning in, and CBS could stretch their schedule with something like this for POI which I would go rabid fan girl over.

I also think they should be more open-minded about transferring series to other interested networks the way NBC did with Southland to TNT or Netflix resurrecting Arrested Development. If another network resurrected say, Alphas, I would follow it with enthusiasm.
More +
If Revololtion (not a typo) is one of NBC's sole remaining "hot properties," I'll save my tears for the collective intelligence of the American viewers rather than the network that foisted it on us.
Gave up on that garbage after the third episode...don't know how it did as well as it did honestly. Plot is garbage, the acting horrid, and the show pathetic.
'It has been a historically bad 2013 for the network'

Yes, but didn't NBC come out on top after a long time during first half of the season (2012) because of football, The Voice and Revolution? Atleast some of their dramas are performing decently like the aforementioned Revolution, Chicago Fire and Grimm. Its the comedies (except The Office) which are sinking NBC. There's still time to turn this ship around.
NBC should focus more on Sci fi dramas. I agree that the new Eva Longoria whatever reality show that is, is a bad idea and a wrong way to go for the network. Leave the reality shows for Bravo or something. In my opinion, NBC needs something like Heroes (first 2 seasons) or maybe something similar to Vampire diaries but not at CW's levels.
I'm surprised NBC have taken this long to push Smash to Saturday. They should just cancel it but I get that there is a lot of money invested.
NBC needs to step it up for the 13-14 season.
I'd say it can't get much worse for NBC but I've said that every year and it's gotten progressively worse.
I looooove Smash and maybe NBC can sense that, I don't know. Awake was the warning call and now this! At least the music will live on on youtube.
Ever since they torked people off by cancelling all the L&O's NBC has been struggling. I'm pretty sure that even original L&O in their 20th season would get better ratings than Smash.
Hasnt Celebrity Apprentice, already been 2 hours this year?
While NBC's programming department is a complete failure, it should also be noted that many millions of Americans will not watch this network mo matter what it brodcasts, so long as its news and cable divisions continue its pursue their extreme leftist agenda..

So. . .on that basis, they start out in a very deep hole before their first program hits the air.

NBC. . .time to "smarten up!"
That's not an excuse, look at FOX. They're the complete opposite but still air good shows that people tune in for, well better then NBC. I don't refuse to watch the network because I don't believe in the views of their news and cable divisions, I just don't watch those specifically.
Oh geez Tim, that cat metaphor is a bit much. :-P

You are so right though, moving Smash to Saturdays is an embarrassment, there should be a judge somewhere who should force the studio executives to wear shaming sandwich boards and stand on Burbank street corners to pay penance for what they've done to their once-successful network.

It's just grotesque now, but to give up completely on a show that was a hit last season is to ignore fixing the actual network - why not change promo departments and on-air imaging (like the creepy voice-over guy after every show who tells you to stay tuned) and the scheduling and programming departments that helped screw it over so bad? I don't even have a dog in that fight, I don't care about Smash whatsoever, but you can't tell me last year's prime rib is this year's gruel and that the problem isn't the restaurant.

The network has utterly squandered Go On's momentum, and it's too damned late to move it to Thursdays - that's only going to disrupt what little traction it has left, it's certainly not going to fix the once power-block of the network that's now hemorrhaging viewers.

Ready for Love is ready to be canceled, there hasn't been a single promo for that turd that has said it's anything other than another generic The Bachelor-type ripoff, and audiences know that on NBC that means 3 and canned.

Bottom line is that these problems will only continue until the network gets led by some vision, and until then while it's still run like a generic company that makes canned beets, the only thing they're doing with these wacky moves is throwing out what little audience they have left.
Ever since the time where they made the mistake of thinking Leno every night in prime time was going to be a hit, NBC has descended downhill. They seem clueless on just about every genre (Whitney, for example) and what to make an anchor show or not. I'd like to think they'll get their act together next year with shows geared for audiences and not just focus groups but nothing yet suggests they've learned a lesson.
I hope NBC leaves Grimm alone.
If it ain't broke, don't move it.
If it's on NBC, it's broke. Every NBC series is at risk as long as it's on a clumsy, know-nothing network like this.
You'd think NBC wouldn't mess with one of their few semi-popular show, considering how few semi's they even have. But then again, this is NBC, and everyone knows how pathetic they are.
I will not say that NBC is dead, but everything changes and NBC have not changed in the direction it should have to entertain the biggest part of America. The fact that the main part of their shows still have had some viewers most mean that they do something right for some people.

So i think what NBC should do is keep such a low budget that they could live with small ratings, perhaps by running smaller seasons and make their series on a tighter budget, or what ever they have to do to survive their ratings.
And of course NBC please stop cancel the great series.
OK now that's done NBC can renew Parks and Rec
First, the FOX network, then, the UPN network, then, the WB network, and now, the NBC network, this is getting bad. I know NBC used to had great experience on TV shows, such as Fresh Prince Of Bel Air, Blossom, Saved By The Bell (all classes) and Hang Time, and also on movies, such as Braveheart or Titanic.

Now FOX is doing better, and UPN and WB were both completely shutdown into a merging network called CW. The only new network, which is considered private, is MyNetworkTV. IMO
first of all your metaphor made me want to just log out! but not before i told you how unffair you are being criticizing a show i bet you never even saw! here in israel smash is a big hit and the only reason its been having a hard time in the state is beacause the new season took too long to come. trus m when i say smash will have a 3 season and all you idiots will eat your hats! and man come on realy?! your metaphor?! you should apolegize to all readers for having a tuisted mind!
There isn't a word of criticism about Smash in that article, all the criticism is leveled at its network and their poor ratings. Also, Smash is produced for the US with US budgeting, so its foreign market performance isn't going to be big enough to offset its domestic troubles.
NBC has prepared us not to expect excellence nor their commitment to any quality project.. Too few watch because they show no loyalty to their shows or audience...I wish I never started Smash because I love it and they ruin everything they touch..ex..2006..Book of Daniel, 2007.. The Black Donnellys., 2009 ....Kings..I've boycotted them ever since but couldn't resist Smash...what the heck are they thinking over there??.
NBC keeps tinkering with stuff.... Smash is a prime example - they messed up an already flawed product and tried to give what they believe 'the audience' wants (younger boys looking like they'd be on glee by the look of this) and the result is just a mismash that only a few watch... Smash was always to be niche and being pricey NBC should have either cancelled it after the 1st season or treat it with respect and sending it to Saturdays is not respect... Frankly if they are going to air all the episodes, just let it run through... It is not as if the other shows are doing that well...
NBC is like a carwreck that you can't take your eyes away from...
I do have hope for Hannibal though, it looks pretty cool and Mads Mikkelsen is fantastic... though being NBC I guess they can f*** it up too...
That cat metaphor was terrifying.
Ding ding -- your 15 minutes is up Ms. McPhee.
they arnt up trust me its only the bigining for! with that much talent and personality! youll see
It looks like PETA will soon be upset by the abuse NBC is taking.

I'm worried that NBC will try to solve their mess by focusing on simple, safe TV (CBS style). The Hollywood Reporter just had an article in which they hoped that the chairman of NBC, Robert Greenblatt, would spend his last months before he is fired making bold decisions. He has a background in cable and he (along with other networks except CBS) should realize that networks today are competing with cable channels. The ratings for networks aren't much higher than for cable, so maybe the way for networks to make it is to adapt and make brave, complex, cable-like shows instead of network shows. CBS is in a league of its own, but everyone else are struggling, so maybe it's time to try something different than the regular network stuff. I'm just afraid that NBC won't do that. They will probably revert back to a safe space with safe programming.
Sure, Smash was a little different. It was a bold move, which unfortunately failed. So now NBC should get up and try again. Replace it with something different and unique, not the same old, bland network stuff. Right now I'm really curious as to how well NBC is doing financially. Running many expensive productions isn't cheap, and with their ratings the advertisement revenues can't be that high.
Thumbs down to killing the cat with a door.
That was a cruel cat joke. :(
I was under no impression that Smash would get a 3rd season but this still comes as a real kick in the guts. I really like this show and it's sad to see it become the focal point of NBC's woes.
Well, at least they decided to bring back The Sing-Off. At least that's something to look forward too during the holiday period on network tv.
But they still won't put Community anywhere other than against Big Bang Theory?

I think the commissioner needs to check to see if NBC's manager are betting on ratings, against their own team.
apart from really bad reality show, thats why they are failing, they keep changing the damn schedule, its not like any of their shows have cult like following, they have to bet on people being stuck on their weekly schedule.
So sad for Smash, really enjoy it, and loving Jennifer Hudson this season.
I really hope NBC can save itself. They have produced some of my favorite shows of all time (Parks and Rec and the Office). I still have hope.
I have no idea why people would choose to watch a show like Revolution and not Smash. Smash is such an awesome show while Revolution is just a huge bore.
Isn't Celebrity Apprentice already 2 hours? The first week was, but I assumed that was because it was the premiere. But I think last week's was 2 hours too. But I wouldn't put it past them to expand it to 3, or even 4 hours! Maybe the Celebrity Apprentice Red Carpet Pre-Show?
I was just going to say this same thing - Celeb Apprentice is 2 hrs now so not sure what they plan on doing as of the 14th.
The crack about killing cats is going to piss people off.
Yet it was the only possible simile because we know that Tim absolutely loves cats (he talks about them all the time), so him being driven to reference them in this way shows just how dire NBC's straits are.
Why does such a bad network continue to exist? If NBC was any other kind of business it would fold/close. Is there some asinine regulation stipulating how many "free" channels the US has?
Monopoly/oligopoly aside, seems like it would almost be better to have fewer channels with better shows.
It exists because it has a very rare syndication license which is exceptionally valuable, it is a crown jewel in a media empire alongside Universal Pictures, both now owned by the powerful Comcast cable operator. They could air test patterns at 10pm on Thursdays and still wouldn't want to close up shop. Even as its regular programming continues to falter, the network profits last year rose 31%, it still means something to be a national TV network.
Ugh, not "syndication license", I meant broadcast license which led to network affiliation.
i think that because of the huge break, revolution will drop in the ratings
Yeah, they're Heroes-ing it. Although at least Heroes S1 was great.
Or it will drop due to terribleness.
They should test Grimm behind The Voice on Tuesdays and have Hannibal air after Grimm. It would at least pair better than following a failing comedy block. Then they should put Fashion Star or whatever with Smash on Fridays at 9. At least it would still be a weekday and they have similar target audiences.
I love Grimm and like Go On a lot but otherwise I don't watch NBC.
wow, didn't even try to make it seem like they wanted to keep it by moving it to fridays, sent right to saturdays.. if friday is the death slot, does that mean saturdays is the burn off in hell slot?

nbc is losing too many shows this season, should keep Smash. it's one of their best. and this season has been better than the first
Networks are not in the business of delivering shows, quality or otherwise, to viewers. They are in the business of delivering eyeballs to advertisers. If the shows you got aren't drawing eyeballs, you need new shows. Lord help us all if the only shows that can draw eyeballs are football and singing competition programs.
NBC needs to do something about all these failing shows. I think what would be a good Idea for them is to establish an all-new comedy block on Thursday, like what ABC did in 2009 with their successful new Comedy Wednesday, with all-new content, except maybe Go On. I think the reason the block did so poorly was because The Office was the staple of the night, which fans (like myself) grew increasingly tired of, and they didn't really bother to come back for Parks & Rec before or after it, and many didn't watch Community because it was up against stiff competition, and never really became a household name. I think they should then move Community and Parks and Rec to Wednesday at 8 and 8:30, respectively, and heavily promote their new move.

They should also get rid of deadbeat, old shows that nobody "buzzes" about anymore (like The Celebrity Apprentice), and get all-new fresh content that people will talk about. They did this back in the Gen X era, where much of their shows were "must see TV," and include cop shows, science fiction, good medical shows, crime shows, and keep with their intelligent comedies like Community and Parks and Rec, while getting other shows that might fit that fibe, and may attract audiences like ABC has done with Modern Family.
Moving community would have helped back around season 2; now it's too late to build it beyond its fan base (many of THOSE already irate over the ousting of Dan Harmon.) Unfortunately, "The Apprentice" draws good numbers (STOP THAT, AMERICA!!!) and is relatively cheap to produce.

NBC hasn't a chance of re-taking Thursday until Big Bang Theory either wanes or gets moved. (Idol is a lesser threat, despite its numbers, because Idol viewers weren't going to watch NBC comedies. BBT's viewers might have.

They burned bridges with a lot of content producers when they cut back their orders in the Great Leno Experiment, and now they're mired in last place, so they're the last stop as production companies try to land a series deal... meaning that the other networks have already had a chance to pick up anything NBC is offered. You can figure out what that means.
Hannibal, a show with actual potential, is not being moved to Tuesdays?.... At least Go On is a better lead in then 1600 penn
1600 Penn says it all...
Instead of being my cat, I like to think of NBC as that dog that lives at the house with the entire street's mailbox, the dog that barks *every* *single* *time* you walk up to get your mail. Only now, it's so old, mangy, and decrepit, it can barely manage a puff of dust at you. I gotta say, I still find myself smiling.

Not only do I hope they never get another dog, I hope the entire family moves away and does not keep in touch.
I'm sorry but your metaphor didn't land... unless this is all real and you are just venting, in which case more power to ya. Haha
Well, it was both. There was a dog like that when I was a kid getting the mail. We moved before it died, so I can only hope it did.

The metaphor was basically that NBC sucks and is very annoying, and advertizes something that sucks and is very annoying every single time I land on the channel. Now, they might not be dying, but they don't seem to be as peppy as they once were...like the dog I hope died. So if that doesn't translate for ya, yadda yadda.
If this means no 1600 Penn for that time period, then I'm for it.
Load More Comments