NBC Remake Will Reopen The Rockford Files

Ben Silverman has left NBC, but the network's desire to remake old shows is still going strong. NBC announced its decision to remake the 1970s gumshoe classic The Rockford Files, and they've lined up David Shore, creator of the medical drama House, to do the script. Jim Rockford (played by James Garner) was a well-developed, deeply-flawed ex-con who lived in a mobile home in Malibu. Lucky for viewers, Shore has some experience with character flaws.

In addition to House, Shore has worked on NBC's Law & Order. Both dramas excel at developing flawed characters -- like Dr. House and Assistant District Attorney Jack McCoy -- which should give Rockford fans a boost of confidence. "What makes 'Rockford' timeless is that he's vulnerable, he's flawed. He's used to hustling and getting hustled," Shore told Variety. Shore attributes his desire to become a TV writer to Rockford's exceptional script. And better yet, Shore doesn't have his heart set on revisiting finished shows, which makes his passion for this project obvious. "I had no interest in adapting any old stuff, but this was the one exception," he said.

I have the guy in mind that IS Jim Rockford all over again AND has a bit of James Garner in him....Bruce Campbell. He could be the man. I could see him and hear him as the Rockford character.
Vince Vaughn as Jim Rockford?? I don't see it, MAYBE Josh Brolin....but NOBODY, I mean NOBODY will ever be as good as James Garner!
Never be another Jim Rockford again. I loved that show, had most of it from Netflix. But now its with my ex and will have to buy em again. But I must have these.
The problem with remakes is that it\\\'s not clear why it should be remade or what direction the remake should take. If it resembles too much the original series, then why remake it? If it differs too much, then you might as well call it something else. Regarding the latter statement, I feel that is what went wrong with the Battlestar Galactica remake. It was changed so much that it was like a totally different show. It should have been called something else, but the creators of the new show knew there would be vast amounts of fan-recognition with the old name. In a more contemporary vernacular, they pimped the name Battlestar Galactica to sell the remade show. This is exactly what should not happen again. If they change this new Rockford Files show too much, then have the decency to give it a new name. They shouldn\\\'t give Jim brothers or sisters or ex-wives or anything he didn\\\'t have before; they shouldn\\\'t change his character or life to make him more contemporary. Remember, the show was still going strong when it was cancelled. It was only discontinued because the stuntwork that James Garner performed himself for the show was taking its toll on his body. I\\\'m willing to give the new show a chance, but I\\\'m an unforgiving audience. Ruin what was or what could be, and I\\\'ll quickly depart.
Rockford fans should hope that NBC treads more carefully on their show than they did on other remakes, which were butchered. Suggested cast members:

Rockford- how about Bruce Campbell? He's the right age, has the look, and the smartass attitude to pull it off.

Rocky- G.W. Bailey could work as Rockford's dad.

Becker- David Zayas

My wife's still casting the rest of the roles.
I just said same thing about Bruce Campbell! Every time I see him on burn notice I think...they should do a remake of The Rockford files with Campbell as Jim Rockford. He's perfect in every way!
I'm thinking maybe Josh Brolin? As far as attitude, it's acting. But nobody can ever replace James Garner.

The Jim Rockford character quite suited James Garner who tended to play the "put upon" hero not stupidly brave or trusting in a fight. Nathan Fillion (Castle, Serenity) may be right for the role, in perhaps a few TV-movie pilots to test-the-water -and Nathan's about the right age or will be after Castle wraps up.

Doing some Rockford TV-movies would probably stop "over exposure" if Castle runs for 3+ seasons. I'm a bit jaded with the Bones/Moonlighting Man & Woman detectives simmering relationship thing. It would be nice and retro to have female & male guest star clients. Give Jim a Gulf War background, an ex-wife, a couple of group up kids or younger brother/sister the current military.

Enough with the "reboot" ideas, the ex-con, conman detective living with Dad nearby is okay with me!
Hey, invisbleninja turtles, or whatever your screen name is, are you serious? Burn Notice is a decent show, but it couldn't hold a candle to Rockford. What are you smoking?
The 1990's remake of Colombo worked. So can the Rockford Files, but it will be up to Shore. The made for TV Rockford Files movies in the 90's were just terrible, mainly to do with poor scripts. There is a big danger that Shore may not be able to pull this off and damage the Rockford brand more so than the TV movies did. The show capsulated a time and a place, LA in the mid 1970's. This is where I would like to see the series stay. A retro remake, keep it in the 70's, strong characters, solid writing and a quirky Jimbo, reluctant hero. The retro approach opens the door for tongue in cheek giggles. Who here would love to see Jimbo duke it out with a bad guy on a disco floor or roller skating ring? A few cameo appearances from original cast members, dig up Mike Post to make a few small changes in the opening music and in my opinion it will work. Shore must approach this task with a play from the left field if he is going to pull this off.
The worst idea I've ever heard!!!! The Rockford Files was a success due to the charisma of James Garner and the other actors who played the various supporting characters, and the amazing writing staff. Even the Rockford Files tv movies weren't that great, and I'm a huge fan of the show. It is like when a band breaks up, and then gets together again. usually some of the original magic is gone. Instead of doing lame retreads of classic television shows, how about doing something NBC used to do in the old days? Give shows a chance to build an audience. Prime example is Cheers. The lowest rated show of all the shows on TV when it premiered in '82. However they gave it a chance, it went on to be a huge success, and ran for 11 seasons. (and would have gone more had they been able to convince Ted Danson to keep going) They now cancel awesome shows like "Life" and "Southland", and talk about producing retreads. James Garner himself failed at his attempt to resurrect 'Maverick', in the 80s. You can't capture lightning in a bottle, and release it at will. If you want Rockford, buy the DVDs.
I think to make this work, the net has to land a casting coup. Biggest mountain to climb will be finding the right actor to fill Jim Rockford's loafers. Think big, NBC. My thought? Mel Gibson. Millions of eyeballs would watch him do episodic TV. Heck, he even stepped into a James Garner role already with "Maverick" (nailed it, too!). Further, Lethal Weapon's Martin Riggs even lived on the beach in a mobile home. Too many coincidences. Cast MG as Rockford and I'm watching.
I think that making a Rockford Files remake is not a good idea. James Garner is the one and only James Scott Rockford. Other remakes of TV shows into new shows or even movies have proven a terrible idea in my mind. Let's remember the original James Rockford, Private Investigator and just buy the DVD's.
They pretty much already remade this show on an NBC/Universal Network. It's called "Burn Notice".
Remaking a classic show like this is insane. Look what happened to Bionic Woman and Knight Rider. Both were AWFUL by the way. Do something original or don't do anything at all. Oh and James Garner is in poor health and confined to a wheelchair so I doubt he'd be able to participate.
Only if you give Bruce Campbell the lead. After James Garner he's the only one that could play Rockford with any justice.
Interesting.
Yeah They had this show, Cop goes to Jail unrightfully accused , gets out, solves cases, it was Fantastic, it was called LIFE and they cancelled it.
Remakes of classic old TV shows never do well either as TV series or as movies. Heres a thought:....why not do something ORIGINAL??????????????
I agree with skyvolt2000! Buy the rights to Veronica Mars and bring it back on the air.
Why not buy the rights to Veronica Mars and bring it back?
I'd rather see a Fall Guy, Simon and Simon, or Spenser for Hire remake personally
Why not also remake Twin Peaks and Northern Exposure.
I can't stomach the thought of seeing such a beloved classic show like The Rockford Files getting a redo. David Shore is the last person who should be involved in this project, seeing as how he's taken the character of Greg House from flawed genius to oversexed frat boy in less than one year. NBC should be ashamed of themselves for constantly redoing classic shows that end up looking like garbage. It just goes to show that networks are more content relying on remakes rather than putting some heads together and coming up with something fresh.
This sounds like a really bad idea. The Rockford Files is a time capsule of the '70s. To me, James Garner and Stuart Margolin are Jim Rockford and Angel Martin. Besides, weren't Magnum P.I. and Simon & Simon kind of remakes of The Rockford Files?
well, why stop there why don't we redo all the 70's shows like Simon and Simon, Hart to Hart, Spenser for hire,Magnum pi,Columbo,Mannix and many,many more. why be original when it's so easy to redo something that we already liked. just the same i'll watch it.
Remake "Harry O"
I do not know, usually remakes are not good, very few remakes are successful and with a show like the Rockford Files which is one of all time best show, let's wait.
Jim Garner going to star I hope
Those are big shoes to fill. And what will they do? Put Rockford in 2010? I don't buy it already.
i'll have to wait and see
Let's remake Citizen Kane
oh great... back to the PI show!
They already remade the Rockford Files. It's called Burn Notice.
Is there something wrong with an original idea? And why can't we get one for a change??!!

They have "Philanthropist" and don't seem willing to take a chance on it, but they will sell out for an easy remake or some other stupid reality show.

None of this takes talent or imagination...
I can't wait.
You can tell that the world no longer has any new ideas when we start redoing shows over and over again...
Why mess with perfection? Something original and well written would be nice. Wait a minute...they did that: Life. And look at what happened: it was replaced with 'Leno'. I'm not even going to bother watching NBC. At all.
Well David Shore better realize what he's messing with. He better do a good job with this. NBC's other attempt (Bionic Woman and Knight Rider) were a complete joke. The Rockford Files is a TV Classic. I would suggest to David Shore that he try to get James Garner to play "Rocky". That would be a smart move and would bring in viewer and give the show immidiate creddibility. Shore's name alone doesn't give it credibility. I would also suggest he disgus the new version with Stephen J. Cannell the creator of the original. But he probably won't do any of those thing and it will end up being just like most of NBC's shows right now GARBAGE. Check this out if you like the original "The Rockford Files": http://stores.homestead.com/TJWVideoltdcom/-strse-282/The-Rockford-Files-cln--Season/Detail.bok