NBC's 2012-2013 Schedule: Community Moves to Fridays, The Voice Will Air in the Fall

NBC announced its 2012-2013 schedule today, one day ahead of its official Upfront presentation, and because most of the network's renewals and cancellations—not to mention new series pickups—were revealed/leaked/tortured out of those in the know last week, the real news today is where everything has landed.

We'll go through the new schedule on a day-by-day basis in just a second, but before we do, here are the basics: Get ready for a lot of comedy, spread out over four different nights. And you might want to do some facial stretching so you won't pull any muscles when your eyebrows raise and your jaw drops over some of NBC's weirder show pairings/time slot switches. Finally, Community fans should be warned: You're not gonna like what's ahead.

Psst! There's an easier-to-read "at a glance" schedule at the bottom of this page.

The first promo shot for new drama Revolution.

MONDAY

As we expected (but also advised against), The Voice will air in the fall, possibly in addition to its typical midseason run. The show will air three hours a week, with a two-hour block from 8pm to 10pm on Mondays and a follow-up hour on Tuesdays. New drama Revolution, a post-apocalyptic series from J.J. Abrams and Supernatural creator Eric Kripke, finishes out Mondays, airing from 10pm to 11pm.

TUESDAY

Tuesdays will no longer be weighed down by two hours of The Biggest Loser, at least in the fall (the show is expected to return in the midseason). Instead, they'll feature a mix of singing, comedy, and drama, beginning with the week's third hour of The Voice and giving way to new comedies Go On (starring Matthew Perry) and The New Normal (from Glee creator Ryan Murphy) in the 9pm hour. Parenthood stays put at 10pm.

The first promo shot for new comedy Animal Practice.

WEDNESDAY

Humpday belongs mostly to freshmen, as new sitcoms Animal Practice (Weeds' Justin Kirk as a vet who loves pets but hates their owners) and Guys With Kids (about new dads who still like to party, produced by Jimmy Fallon) lead off the night at 8pm and 8:30pm, respectively. Veteran drama Law & Order: SVU moves up an hour to 9pm, followed by new drama Chicago Fire at 10pm.

THURSDAY

NBC's long-running Thursday-night comedy block remains intact—in the sense that there's still a Thursday-night comedy block from 8pm to 10pm. As for the shows that fill it, it's hard to miss the glaring absence of TV.com favorite Community, which is moving to Fridays (more on that in a minute). 30 Rock—which, as you'll recall, is only renewed for 13 episodes—is taking over the 8pm slot, followed by Up All Night at 8:30pm. The 9pm hour sees a return to the old The Office
 and Parks and Recreation one-two punch—though I guess these days it's probably more like a zero-three punch? The Office will get a full 22-episode season, contrary to what was previously reported, and even though it's been widely assumed that both 30 Rock and The Office are headed into their swan-song seasons, NBC chief Bob Greenblatt took care to point out that "We haven't definitely said that to any of them yet." Finally, because NBC has apparently given up altogether on the Thursdays-at-10pm time slot, Rock Center with Brian Williams rounds out the night.

What I have to assume the Community cast members looked like when they found out their show is moving to Fridays.

FRIDAY

Ugh. The shows in NBC's new Friday lineup go together like peanut butter and fish. Whitney kicks things off at 8pm, followed by Community at 8:30pm to form an hour-long comedy block that can't possibly please fans of either show. Grimm stays where it is at 9pm, and Dateline NBC rounds out the evening. Regarding Community's big move, let's ignore the parallels to what NBC did with Chuck and try to look at the bright side: The show made it onto NBC's fall schedule, which means it has a shot at a back-nine episode order. And that means there's a chance of it getting a full season (so far it's only renewed for 13 episodes). Plus Community is the kind of show whose fans will follow it. Right, you guys?

SATURDAY

Reruns!

SUNDAY

Football, football, and more football in the fall. Come the midseason, reality rules the evening, with Fashion Star at 8pm followed by The Celebrity Apprentice at 9pm. Scripted programming returns at 10pm with new drama Do No Harm.

So what's left? New dramas Hannibal and Infamous, as well as new comedies Save Me, 1600 Penn, and Next Caller, have all been held for midseason. Smash, which is already renewed for Season 2, will also return at that time.

Okay, let's hear it! What are your thoughts on NBC's new schedule? If you were an exec at the network, what would you have done?

NBC's fall 2012-2013 schedule

(New programs in ALL CAPS)

MONDAY

7pm - 8:15 pm — Football Night in America

8:15pm - 11:30pm — NBC Sunday Night Football

SUNDAY (post-football/midseason 2013)

8pm - 9pm — Fashion Star

9pm - 10pm — The Celebrity Apprentice

10pm - 11pm — DO NO HARM

So it looks like I'll be spending thursday at 8:30 and friday at 8:00 on nbc instead of thursday at 9:30 and whitney on demand
I absolutely refuse to watch anything new on NBC. They will just cancel anything good anyway. Screw you NBC
I guess I won't be watching on Thursdays, at all.
Why do they always seem to ax the shows I like for example Unforgetable, the gifted man
Thats CBS not NBC

They must have zero faith in their Wednesday nights. That one day is all over the place- You have two freshman comedies, then two crime procedurals. The least that they could do is move Whitney to Wednesdays at 8, that way an existing audience would carryover to Men with Kids.
Honestly, this could be a good thing for Community. I really doubt its tiny but loyal following isn't going to follow it to Friday nights, and at least on Fridays expectations are lower. I certainly don't expect an uptick in the ratings, but I doubt ratings will drop that much in its move to Fridays. Maybe it can stay alive longer. I don't believe there are really any other comedies on on Friday nights. This and Whitney will probably be the only two. So it will have less competition on a Friday night. On Thursday's it was up against The Big Bang Theory. I guess we'll see. But this could be interesting. And if it doesn't make it at least fans got another season (even if it's a short one). It could have been canceled all together. Though if they've renewed it for another season I wouldn't doubt they'll keep it around until there's enough episodes for syndication. And I believe it would still be short with this 13 episode order.
So is Smash gonna stay a midseason show?
Maybe if they don't kill it and it gets a third season it will change to a fall show.

They are trying to kill Community slowly and force bad ratings. Lets hope that doesnt happen.
Dear NBC,

Please do us all a favor: Observe what successful networks are doing and copy them.

Thanks
Exactly. Or, look back in time to what they used to do, when they were the number one network.
So annoyed they are holding Smash until mid-season. Especially after the awesome finale tonight! It should be brought back in the fall. I at least hope they won't wait until Season 2 is about to premiere before they release Season 1 on DVD/Blu-ray. At least if they release it early enough it could give people plenty of time to catch up on the first season before Season 2, hopefully resulting in more viewers.
WHAT THE WHAT?!? Where to begin with these morons at NBC..... People are going to experience music show fatigue, if they haven't already. Numbers are down for AI, were not as expected for The X-Factor, Duets is coming to ABC, and now twice as much The Voice (Fall and Spring) and three hours a week, at that. When they wonder why fewer people are watching this fall, come back and read this. It's TOO much!

Moving on to Monday: how is two hours of singing on The Voice a good lead-in for a sci-fi type show like Revolution??? That's just wrong.

Tuesday: More The Voice?? The rest is okay, depending on how the new shows go.

Wednesday: The one hour comedy block is supposed to compete with ABC's Last Man Standing / whatever they pair it with this year block, I guess? Why not have either SVU or Chicago Fire anchor Thursday night's lineup in the 10PM slot?

Thursday: 30 Rock gets killed in the 8PM slot vs Big Bang et al. Also, why have the extremely low rated Rock Center at 10PM, swap it to Wed. for one of the two dramas there.

Friday: You've got to be EFFING kidding me!!! Having Community follow the most reviled, never should have been renewed show on the network. What a terrible lead-in. These shows couldn't be more dissimilar. This is not coolcoolcool. Just the opposite. The only saving grace is that Community won't have to compete in that killer Thursday 8PM time slot that 30 Rock actually performed worse in than Community did.

This has "still the lowest rated network" all over it.
Community is brilliant!!! Keep watching!!! And count Hulu.com watchers in ratings....pretty please...
i'm still enjoying the office. i guess i must be the only person who was excited to see michael scott exit (even though it unfortunately also meant the loss of holly.)

michael's character was tired IMO. i seriously dislike(d) andy being promoted to manager as i felt we were seeing too much of him. robert california took quite a while for me to warm up to but it happened and now he's leaving? i like david wallace if they kept him around a...also like british chick well enough.

so who are the fuckwits we can strangle for leading us to believe that 30 rock was IN FACT ending next season? great reporting! or should i say copy and pasting?
Auch bad news for com
Wow, NBC actually wants to kill Community!

Well, at least a Community-Fringe pairing is fantastic.
Yes! Pairing Community with Whitney on friday night will finally get both of these shows cancelled.
I will watch exactly zero of these shows. so, meh.
So you commented why?
grimm-community-whitney is a ridiculous line up (especially for grimm, god they will kill the show!).. even more ridiculous is office getting another full season renewal while parks and rec or community.. and the most ridicuolus part of it whitney's existance among this.. among anything.. on tv.. and everywhere else..
I'm actually kinda glad Community is on Fridays. I wasn't able to watch it on Thursdays (NOT because I was watching anything else, just wasn't able to be near a tv at all), but Fridays I will be able to watch it :)
Whoa, wait what?? The Office gets the full 22-episode season but Community gets shafted with only 13?? I have come to the conclusion that even if NBC runs a new show I like I won't watch it since they will just ruin it anyway. Hence why I didn't bother tuning into Awake even though I knew it was most likely a show I would be a fan of.
While the move to Friday does have a lot of downside, the one big upside for me is that I can now watch both my top 2 shows (TBBT and Community) live, rather than watching The Big Bang Theory live and then the DVR version of Community.
Are...you...insane? I hate you NBC. I hope that in 5 years you don't exist.
why 5 years lol
TBS should pick up Community and pair it with Cougar Town. Then Abed can be with Courtney Cox.
What boggles the mind every time is: a network putzes with the schedule: either moving a show to Friday (slot of death) or moving it around 12+ times in a year. Then they act surprised that the show wasn't getting great ratings.

Either they're monumentally stupid, or they think we are.
This could be good for community. Fans will follow this even if it's on at 2am Sunday morning, so it should pick up more viewers on Friday night that might not have been able to watch on Thursdays. here's hoping anyway.
The problem is that there are (A) die-hard fans and (B) casual fans. The chances of a die-hard fan being one of the very-few Nielson viewers out there are rare. Since Nielsons are the only ones that count towards ratings. Meanwhile, while DVR-recordings ARE captured, they are completely ignored.

Hence which niche-markets and cult-favorites get the shaft so often.
Not sure what all the fuss is about regarding these 13 episode comedy seasons. As far as I'm concerned that is plenty and if it means fewer average episodes then so much the better. Here in the UK all the best comedy shows such as The Office, Peep Show etc had/have only 6 episodes per year anyway.
exactly. 13 episode seasons should ensure that the quality of the show remains high, and keeps people watching because they show remains good, and there aren't several thousand breaks in between airing of new episodes. Like Glee and Community only had 13 good episodes each anyway, in their first seasons. Compare that to Justified, which has 13 episodes per season always, airs continuously, and never loses one second of its supreme quality.
Judging by the clips NBC released, Animal Practice looks like it'll be a fun show. The rest of the Fall comedies will most likely crash and burn.

I'm surprised the network made no mention of Mockingbird Lane for mid-season, but I guess that means it's still real early in development.
I can't believe the office gets 22 episode season and 30 rock doesn't! BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
30 Rock should get 22 episodes, y'now cuz it's the last season!

I liked it better when 30 Rock was an outtro to Community, that was EPIC.
Glad to hear that the Office will be getting a full season, but I really think they should wrap things up soon. They should put their affairs in order and I have a nice planned out ending. The show deserves that much.
How fun is it that NBC left this season with only three good shows worth coming back for, and there all put on fridays. Let's hope there is some of the new shows that is worth watching.
Ugh, Friday night is the kiss of death. Although, hopefully the fans will follow. I know I will.
Hey, everyone says "Move it from Thursday nights away from Big Bang!", well, here we go. I'll... Damn It! I work Friday nights!! Well, good thing I have DVR. Too bad my itty bitty consensus doesn't mean squat. Sooo happy about Community being on tv still, but I want to punch something cute over pairing it with Whitney.
Dammit, looks like it's the end of the line for Community
i predict them moving this stuff around if any of the shows fail like they did last year (Playboy Club, Are you there chelsea), and I'm just thinking, at least Community is still on the air.
NO NBC YOU FOOLS

How could you put Community on a FRIDAY with Whitney...of all things. COME ON...and you're following Community with Grimm? Don't get me wrong, I love Grimm but really, how do those even go together.

Return Community to its rightful place on Thursdays and convince the rest of the world that you have some semblance of television acuity
If ANYTHING belongs with Grimm, it's the zombie "The Office".
Fridays? No! You idiots! Sitcoms don't ever do well on Fridays. Way to waste your money and credibility, NBC morons.

Look at their Monday, it's hopeless, that is a schedule guaranteed to change before the midseason.

Tuesday they don't have anything strong enough to carry, leaving The Voice to fight Idol is not going to work, and putting freshman sitcoms on after that is not only not going to help them but it's going to make a weak-showing Parenthood even weaker. And the funny thing is that there's room on Tuesdays for sitcoms, but they have to be stronger than this.

Wednesday, 2 canceled sitcoms and then SVU pretends to be a keystone despite slumping at 9pm last time they tried it and being incredibly inappropriate for that hour. I have no prediction for Chicago Fire, but at least it has the SVU lead-in.

Thursday is a mess, 30 Rock did horribly at 8pm and is pretty smutty for that timeslot these days, and it's only half a season. Up All Night makes more sense at 8:30 but really doesn't feel like the right show to go between 30 Rock and The Office. The Office / Parks & Rec will do what it did this year in that timeslot, it never picked up much from 30 Rock or any other lead-in anyway. And then they just entirely throw their hands in the air to signal they give up by putting the horribly-named Rock Center on their formerly-premiere timeslot. Someone should be demoted for that move.

Friday is easily the worst possible move for every show involved, and I suspect the freshmen comedies will do so poorly that they'll simply move both Whitney and Community to Tuesdays or Wednesdays to help salvage their blundering, and Grimm will end up on Mondays when that day quickly falls apart. Dateline has lost its edge and value, so Friday at 10 is as pointless a timeslot as any.

Sunday apparently NBC is going to let get run over by the other nets, hoping that sports alone will salvage their flagging ratings.

If I were an exec at NBC, I'd burn the network down for the insurance money. Or maybe that's what they're indirectly doing with this horrorshow of a schedule. It's like they're actively trying to best The CW in bad network programming moves.

Here's how I would have gone at it:

Monday - Parenthood, Grimm, Dateline or Rock Center.

Tuesday - Up All Night, one of the new sitcoms, Whitney, one of the new sitcoms, Chicago Fire.

Wednesday - The Voice, maybe 2 new sitcoms of the more naughty type, SVU.

Thursday - Parks & Rec, Community, 30 Rock, The Office, Do No Harm or Revolution depending on which one looks higher quality.

Friday - The Voice results show, Celeb Apprentice, dumping ground for whatever's left.

Saturday - Reruns of the fan-favorite shows, perhaps leave it up to website surfers.

Sunday - Football, dramas or family-friendly reality shows.
Not much I like left on NBC anymore and Community fans damn well better keep watching so we get a full season!
If TBS would take Cougar Town, they'd LOVE Community, right?
OMG YES. MAKE IT HAPPEN TBS! MAKE IT HAPPEN!
I think I will only watch Revolution, I hope Erik Kripke give us something as good as Supernatural
I agree that moving Community to Fridays is not a good sign, but I'd rather have that than no Community at all. If that's what it took for NBC to renew it, then I'm okay with that. Heck, maybe it will even have a better renewal chance in that time slot if it keeps pulling in the same numbers. I'm sure we Community fans would watch it anytime, anywhere.
NBC is the worst. Friday night comedy line up? Ugh.
Every other network would have already canceled not only Community, but Parks, 30 Rock, and The Office (a looooooong time ago).
WTF?! The Voice, a terrible reality show, gets 3 hours in prime time. Meanwhile a very smart, witty comedy, Community, is pushed to Friday nights (which cancelling might have been better....). Shame on you NBC. Maybe I'll throw my support to a more deserving network.
With all the terrible scheduling decisions NBC makes it's no wonder people download from the internet. Admit it, you don't know what you're doing anymore. Just give up and let us vote in time slots fro programs, couldn't hurt the ratings worse than the people you pay to ruin your business for you. We'd do it free of charge.
not supporting or condemning downloading, but really it doesn't matter either way since you have to have a Nielsen ratings box for your viewing habits to be recorded anyway. so basically if 10 million people watch it on tv but only 1 million take part in ratings, only those 1 million will count. everybody should be saying people who take part need to watch it, or complain to Nielsen how we're not getting a say in something that we should.

but yes, NBC has bad decision making skills.
Community may still continue into a 5th season. But it's getting moved to Friday nights
Seriously, Smash again in midseason? I'll have to wait all that! And it's supposedly going to end with a cliffhanger....

That being said, I only watch Smash and Grimm on NBC. I never liked Community or Parks and Rec but I'm happy for the fans that they were renewed. Oh and for the love of God please people stop complaining about Community, so annoying. It's ridiculous to say Community is in a death slot. It's still alive! I swear some people just HAVE to find something to complain about.I think some people here need a dose of reality. Community is a ratings disaster with a low amount of viewers, and that number drops practically every episode. Quite frankly, it's amazing it was renewed at all. NBC these past few years have been pretty amazing toward cult-type shows like Chuck and Community. This is their way of saying thank you for being so loyal to our shows. If Community can some how magically maintain the numbers it has currently on Friday, they'd probably keep. A 1.2-1.4 on a Friday is pretty big hit. If you love Community so much, watch it live. It's as simple as that.

That being said, I still can't believe they decided to renew Whitney and cancel Awake. I must admit Awake ended up being a disappointment for me but it still had great acting and some interesting developments. Whitney, on the other hand was terrible in every sense.
Psh. You're a ratings disaster.
Do people actually watch the Voice? Sorry it's just that Christina is hard to look at when she's so bloated like that. And I'm not just talking about her ego lol.

Bummer about Community. Not a good sign if they're being slammed into Fridays. That's what they did to Chuck for their last season. :( R.I.P. Chuck (2007 - 2012)
so... basically NBC regrets renewing Whitney and Community and wants to kill them off? Should've left Community on Thursdays where it belongs and kicked Up All Night to Fridays because UAN is the weakest Thursday comedy now, and Parks & Recreation DOES NOT BELONG AT 9:30/8:30! it needs to go back to the order of Community, P&R, The Office, and 30 Rock.

and why is Rock Center 1) a show at all and 2) not airing on Saturday nights along with Dateline where they can't take away from actual shows that should be airing?

I officially gave up on The Voice at like week 2 of the solo performances, I won't be watching it anymore. Honestly, Smash should only ever be midseason, it barely moves along as it is and a full season would be too much. I'll check out Revolution, The New Normal, Animal Practice, and Guys With Kids and see if I want to keep going with them.
Well, seeing as how Parks and Rec is a much better show than Community, wouldn't it make more sense to have P&R at 700, then Comminuity a 7:30 to hopefully retain some viewers from the former? Don't get me wrong, I like Community, and the shipping of it to Friday night is pretty telling of NBC and what they think of it, I think Parks and Rec is a much better show all around..and FYI...Rock Center is actually a well done news journalism show hostd by Brian Williams...but I agree, Thursday at 9 is a wierd time slot for it - this season it's on Wednesday at 9...
We should never, NEVER have to utter the plague upon comedy that is Whitney, and Community in the same sentence. Pairing Community with Whitney is like pairing Fringe with Toddlers and Tiaras. IT JUST SHOULDN'T BE DONE! I mean, they didn't even give Community the 8pm time slot. That's how much they think of the best comedy on television.

Go to hell, NBC.
We can't let NBC do that to Community! Someone start a Twitter campaign or something.
I don't have much of a problem with Community going to Fridays. What I do have a problem with is that Whitney is its lead in. Blech.
Whitney is written like it's from a bad high school creative writing assignment. I couldn't believe how amateur & pedestrian it was.
Try watching 2 Broke Girls - also created by Whitney Cummings - uncomfortably unfunny and panders to the lowest common-denominator - I'd watch it on mute thiough just to see Kat Dennings for 30 mintes each week though...
That is the best critique I have read on that show.
I know Friday doesn't get as many people watching it as other days however Community's fan base is mostly people who are in love with the show and will watch it no matter what, not just casually watching it if it happens to be on.
NBC sure as hell isn't doing the show any favors airing it on a night that nobody watches TV. It won't gain any viewers that way.
But I doubt it'll lose that many. Stop panicking, people!
Load More Comments