NCIS Star Pauley Perrette Randomly Assaulted In Horrifying Street Attack

NCIS actress Pauley Perrette says that she was the victim of a frightening physical attack that occurred Thursday in her Los Angeles neighborhood, according to a tweet she posted late last night.

Perrette wrote that she was walking down her street in Hollywood when she was "jumped by a VERY psychotic homeless man." The man, whom Perrette says was apprehended shortly after the assault, grabbed her, pinned her arm, and repeatedly punched her in the face while saying he was going to kill her.

Fortunately, she was able to talk him down and he let her go. She texted some friends, who were able to locate the assailant and lead police to him.

"I am shaken and traumatized," Perrette wrote. "We need full mental health care. We need housing and help for the homeless. We need to support our cops."

Here's Perrette's tweet:

The LAPD confirmed to ABC News that the call came in around 5pm on Thursday, and the suspect was arrested and booked. Perrette said he was being charged with felony assault.

Nov 16, 2015
BTW, if you didn't know, Pauley Perrette studied criminal science, sociology, psychology, and forensics, so she's got some insight into these things, she isn't ignorant.
Nov 14, 2015
I feel terrible for Pauly Perrette. At the same time I am very happy she got through the ordeal uninjured. I certainly wish her all the best. She has been a strong advocate for the homeless for many years. I hope this terrible incident does not have a negative effect on her advocacy.
Nov 14, 2015
It didn't say exactly where this happened. Was it day or night? Sounds pretty awful. Guy walked right by her, eh--tragic. I've been in that area a lot and I'm always aware of my surroundings there. It's Hollywood and it's scarier than you would think.
Nov 16, 2015
Based on another article I read, as well as her statements above, It was I believe Franklin somewhere between Highland and Argyle; you know that area, not far from Yucca corridor. When I was a kid, you know that area was really bad, so bad that they installed an intersection block on Yucca to halt drive-bys so you are forced to make a right turn at the intersection, so much street crime there that people stopped noticing drive bys. The area has high end houses on one side of the intersection and flop houses and crack houses on the other side, it's very diverse and hip. There's also a lot of transit hubs where you can pick up 4 or 5 different buses on the same intersection, those bring in a ton of homeless and crime.

The thing is that there are 2 sides to the area, people came to my rescue when my car caught fire at Fountain and Gardner yet they don't want to even let their dog help stop an attempted murder because they want to live in a bubble that their living in the area automatically makes it safe. I had to get out after 17 years, I was born there but I won't die there. Jack McBrayer used to visit John Lutz from 30 Rock in my crappy building all the time, even filmed a viral video on that block; Glenn Danzig lived at the end of my block, David Cross and Flea and all types of celebs live around Franklin Ave, Hollywood/Los Feliz is a place to be but it's not safe, it's got an unearned veneer of normal safety.
More +
Nov 14, 2015
"the call came in around 5pm on Thursday"
And that someone walked right passed her does awful but if it is a neighbourhood that has lots of homeless people with other problems then you can understand someone not wanting to look too closely
Staff
Nov 13, 2015
I grew up in Hollywood. Side streets are a crazy scary places.
Nov 13, 2015
This comment has been removed.
Nov 14, 2015
Wow, I don't watch the show, the network for that matter, but I was still shaken by this story.
Nov 13, 2015
Many homeless people are mentally ill. We don't care about the mentally ill as much as we use to. They need to be institutionalized but that will cost the society more money than it's willing to pay.
It's sad but the truth. So they start to self medicate with drugs or alcohol and that only exacerbates their problems. Like she said in her tweet. The homeless need housing and help. That doesn't make what happened to her any less serious. But this could have happened (and does) to anyone. I hope she's ok. Ncis is not my favorite shows but she's definitely one of the highlights.
Nov 15, 2015
That's not at all true. Every time someone tries to do something for the mentally ill like getting them institutionalized the ACLU jumps into action suing those helping stating that the homeless have every right to live on the streets. The courts so far have ruled in favor of the ACLU in every single case.
Nov 13, 2015
Glad they caught the attacker. And kudos to Perrette for the positive comment about the police... a difficult thing to do in Hollywood.
Nov 13, 2015
Anybody who attacks Abby is asking to die.
Nov 13, 2015
What a terrifying experience that must have been. I hope she is okay.
Nov 13, 2015
Way to go Pauley, keeping your head level even in a situation like this can and most likely will save your life.
She should find out who that ass was that walked past her without bothering, those fucks are as bad as the psychos. They are some sort of psychopaths too.
Nov 13, 2015
Oh my word! I'm glad she's okay.
Nov 13, 2015
What a scary experience for her! I hope she never has to go through anything like that again.
Nov 13, 2015
Damn. I don't like NCIS either but dude needs some perspective.
Nov 13, 2015
Not funny, and Abby is the one good thing about the show. You'd have to be truly insane to attack HER.
Nov 13, 2015
Unfortunately, as a former resident, I'm not remotely surprised. I'm glad she survived, but it's not the last time this will happen.

I lived in Los Feliz/Hollywood for half my life, it's a haven for the disturbed homeless and it's been rampant since before I was born. A woman was stabbed to death at Hollywood & Highland for taking a picture of a homeless guy's funny sign not too long ago. There is a willful ignorance from some residents about the real problems up there, a pretense that everything can be friendlied away.

Homeless aren't the only problem either, the area is in the hills so there are coyotes stalking at night, and just like the homeless some people think they can smile and run outreach programs to solves the threats.

The truth is that until we deal with the real causes, with the homeless that means reversing Reagan's cuts funding to mental health facilities, coyotes it's about global warming causing drought which drives them deeper into the urban areas, these sorts of things will continue to be a severe problem. There aren't enough police, and there never can be.
Nov 15, 2015
Let me get this straight, you're blaming this incident on Ronald Reagan's policies from the late 1960's? Isn't it more relevant that every time someone tries to do something about the mentally ill and the homeless the ACLU sues and wins stating that it's the right of both of those groups to live on the streets? Or are you so blinded by ideology that you're willing to go back 50 years to find your villain?
Nov 16, 2015
Read a little on the effects then and now to see how they've lasted. As for the ACLU's suits, they sue for these people to live SOMEWHERE even if it's the streets when cities simply say "you can't be here, you have to just evaporate off the planet" -- it's not like the cities are giving them permanent shelter when these suits come up. Live outside your own ideology to recognize that the problem isn't being solved by just telling them to go away - none of us benefit if we don't do a better job helping those in need, and we've seen clearly the negative impact when we choose not to.
Nov 13, 2015
That was Governor Reagan of course, not President Reagan, so that cut back impacted California, not the nation. I agree that it probably contributed to the problem but it is a universal problem and there are other contributing factors. As you note it was a problem before Reagan's funding cuts.
I don't have much faith in mental health facilities... mental illness is a tough one to handle.

Nov 16, 2015
It was both Governor Reagan and President Reagan, he cut in California and after he became president he cut nationally to devastating, long-lasting effect. I even have family who suffered under this, and were no safer once they came out. Crime rose staggeringly from Reagan's cuts to mental health, whether or not you believe in those facilities (and keep in mind that they were in a much better state before those cuts), the proof is in the pudding, the numbers bear out that the cuts had a significant negative impact on our society.
Nov 13, 2015
First of all, anyone can get attacked by a psychopath anytime anywhere, even in the most secure parts of Germany, but even I heard some terrible stuff from people who live or lived there for some time, so Hollywood is a dangerous place it seems. And you're right, not dealing with a problem is not going to solve it, as usual.
Nov 15, 2015
People used to see Hollywood as a seedy area for a while, but somehow over the years there was this view that it was gentrified from an influx of certain types of residents moving in. Yet nothing actually changed in the behavior or policing or treatment of the problems, just a new coat of paint and some smiling, ignorant folks thinking just their living there was doing the area a favor.
Nov 13, 2015
Yes!! you said it right concerning Reagan's policies concerning all that.
Nov 13, 2015
It's AWFUL that he attacked her BUT jail/prison will not help him (+ a conviction will prove a complication when he is better)

And back to entertainment posts before I get slaughtered for my opinion.
Nov 15, 2015
"Also "We need to not walk alone". I hope this is just shock talking (or she is talking philosophically) because everyone has the right walk alone without harassment."

Everybody does have the right to walk alone. But "right" isn't the same thing as "safe."
Nov 13, 2015
I'm thinking that her situation brought to mind the "Safety in Numbers" theory/idiom:

from Wikipedia: "Safety in numbers is the hypothesis that, by being part of a large physical group or mass, an individual is less likely to be the victim of a mishap, accident, attack, or other bad event."