News Briefs: Netflix Orders a Cartoon About a Horse, With Voices from Will Arnett and Aaron Paul

TAKE MY MONEY, NETFLIX

... Netflix put its stamp on 2013 with its revolutionary way of distributing original programming in large chunks, crushing stock expectations, putting out one of the best new shows of the season, making an entire series out of a few notes scribbled on toilet paper, reassembling one of comedy's greatest series, and making Kevin Spacey speak directly into a camera. But its greatest achievement is yet to come, and it involves a horse that likes whiskey. Television's new darling has picked up BoJack Horseman, an animated series following a washed-up horse actor voiced by Will Arnett (Arrested Development). By his side is his former TV sidekick (voiced by Breaking Bad's Aaron Paul), as well as his feline agent and ex (voiced by Amy Sedaris). Holy shit. Look for this next year. [Vulture

BUSINESS TIME

... Sundance Channel, with help from international distributor and indie studio Entertainment One, is developing an adaptation of the Israeli series Reaching for Heaven. The drama follows the fallout that hits a family when one of the parents suddenly becomes extremely religious. And to make it extra spicy, it will be set in Las Vegas. [Sundance Channel via press release]

... A&E is rebranding BIO Channel into something called FYI. According to a press release from A&E, FYI will be "a contemporary lifestyle network reflecting how people actually live their lives today." If that's the case, then it's going to be a bunch of shirtless dudes in their pajama pants sitting on the couch with Pringles crumbs in their belly buttons, because that's how I'm livin'. [A&E via press release]

... Sons of Anarchy wrapped up its sixth season last night. Some loved it. Some hated it. I felt like this about it. But regardless of how much people enjoyed it, many people tuned in for it. "A Mother's Work" was the most-watched finale in the history of the series, with 5.2 million viewers. [FX via press release]

... Rob Reiner is developing Basket Case for Spike. Based on the novel by Carl Hiaasen, the comedic drama follows an investigative reporter who has trouble with authority and corruption and is demoted to the obituary desk, where he gets a fresh look at the deaths in the city of Miami. [Deadline Hollywood]

CASTING NEWS

... The Bridge has promoted Matthew Lillard and Emily Rios to series regulars for the FX drama's second season. The two play a pair of reporters in the bordertown show about weirdos, serial killers with convoluted plans, and a leather jacket with a horse embroidered on it in Texas and Mexico. [Deadline Hollywood]

... Arrow has cast eternal bad guy Robert Knepper as William Tockman, also known in the comic world as "Clock King." He's a villain who got his name by planning out his crimes down to the very second. Apparently he was created during the great creative drought of the comic world. Look for him in Episode 14. [TV Line]

... Guy Pearce (Memento) will guest-star on NBC's Sean Saves the World as a potential love interest for Sean (Sean Hayes). I guess Pearce forgot to read that giant tattoo on his chest that says "DON'T GUEST-STAR ON SEAN SAVES THE WORLD." (Disclaimer: This joke was recycled from my Twitter account.) [TV Line]

... NYPD Blue's Gail O'Grady will guest-star on ABC's Revenge. She'll play Conrad's first wife. [E! Online]

REQUIRED READING

... It's a man's world, for better and for much, much worse. And Buzzfeed has put together a list of 16 female characters who unjustly caught grief from fans mostly because they were ladies. [BuzzFeed]

Am I the only one who doesn't completely hate Sean Saves The World? The episode featuring the dancing competition cracked me up. I have high hopes for this. I don't know why, I justo do.
I will never understand the hate for Sansa (at least post Ned's arrest). She has only ever done what she needed to do in order to survive. What many people on the internet don't understand is that there are several ways to be a strong woman, not everyone is going to be badass like Arya.
The Bridge... seriously, did anyone find the last two episodes of that show interesting, talk about dragging out an ending that took place 2 episodes before and really could of been a few episodes before that to keep the show interesting. Doubt i will tune in for the 2nd season.

Hey Tim, that holy shit about the horseman show, was that excitement, bewilderment or sarcasm? it is hard to read sarcasm and i would hope that couldn't get you that excited.

The Arrow thing could be interesting, reminds me of the old batman cartoon about the time keeper guy, i cannot recall his name.

I guess its time to watch Sons, I tend to record the whole season and than watch it, I am a rebal like that LOL

I was hoping it would be a cartoon zebra...with HOOVES....

Also, Matthew Lillard has a grey beard now? Dayamn.
The hands instead of hooves is kind of creepy isn't it? At least that's the first thing I thought!
I assume you also are referring to Zebras in America?
This comment has been removed.
So Bio Channel has finally run out of old Biography episodes to air.

I hate it when they call it a "rebranding" when what they're really doing is changing the channel altogether, often from one that is interesting to one that has nothing interest at all. And yet they still charge for the channel.

I didn't like Sansa in the books, but seeing her portrayed and having a great actress add some depth of character and facial expressions that made it easier to see what Sansa was feeling has helped and now I defend Sansa to everyone!

Andrea drove me crazy - torn between wanting a peaceful life and wanting to do the right thing, she never really chose either side until it was too late (and that kind of indecisiveness bothers me in anyone, male or female). I really like Michonne, but I didn't at first. When we first met her, she seemed too quiet to be sane. Turns out she's just quiet and instead of being insane, she's fiercely loyal to whoever is loyal to her (I'm behind a season so shhh if this changes).

Norrie...I liked her character enough but the actress's portrayal of her bothered me a bit. Granted, most of the actors in the show were less than stellar, so she's certainly not the only person I would have recast had my opinion been asked. I didn't like the sister either (don't recall her name). But I liked Curly Red Hair enough (I'm absolutely terrible with names I'm sorry).

I'm only in season 1 of Arrow but I like Laurel. So far (don't correct me if this changes since I haven't seen season 2!) she's the kind of person who stands up for the little guy (as an attorney), she was loyal to Tommy and committed to their relationship (until he got weird and broke it off). She's not awful - she's actually good - and I like her. (I also really liked Ruby 1.0 in Supernatural, so maybe that has something to do with it?
"Oh Wilbur."
Clock King sounds stupid but Knepper is great as villain so i have high hopes.
if netflix cancelled the idea of a cartoon , and made Will Arnett wear a horse mask , it would be much funnier .. just like Wilfred

and make Sarah Jessica Parker guest star a cameo ..
On Buzzfeed's article, I remember reading Anna Gunn'a New York Times article awhile back, and my response remains the same in regards to female characters on television - the fact that there is a noticeable amount of people the feel such strong hatred, particularly towards prominent female characters in television shows, highlights that there is a significant problem in the way in which these character are being written.

I understand that there are a lot of people of the internet that complain for the sake of complaining, or do so as an attempt to instigate others (trolls), but the sheer amount of hate these women characters in particular receive should surely raise concerns. This isn't just people insulting women for the fun of it. I consider myself an education and understanding television viewer, and even I hate Skyler White.

I'm actually happy to say that of all the shows I watch off of the list, I didn't agree with any others than Skyler. I always thought that viewers have been too harsh on Dana (Homeland), Andrea (The Walking Dead), and Sansa (Game of Thrones). I don't deny their characters, and the way in which the are used within the plot of their respective series, are very problematic, but I definitely don't dislike them because of this. As for Norrie (Under The Dome), and Fauxmanda (Revenge), there are far far worse characters on their shows. I mean, Linda anyone?

Anyway, my personal taste aside, the fact that there seems to be a unhealthy trend of fan hatred towards female characters (especially in comparison to men) on television is worrisome and really needs to change. As Kate Arthur rightly says at the end of the Buzzfeed article, 'here’s to more attempts at well-rounded, provocative female TV characters in 2014'. My sentiments exactly.
I think the one character in that list that I dislike because it truly disturbs the show that I like is Laurel from Arrow, and even in that case, i don't feel HATE. It's just one more element to analyze for me on what works or doesn't work for a story. I don't know what to do with all this, because I do not consider if it is a woman or a man when I don't like an actor, but maybe others do?. I think you are probably right when you say that female characters are written a lot worse. Because we are still relying a lot more in the male leads without fully realizing?
Guy Pearce will guest star on NBC's Sean Saves The World? This has to be the most bizarre news I've heard all... ever.
Well I'm more likely to check out BoJack Horseman because it's on Netflix rather than FOX or Comedy Central purely because of the revolutionary way the channel distributes original programming. It's pretty much the only reason I checked out House of Cards and Orange is The New Black in the first place (which I absolutely don't regret) and why I plan to watch Hemlock Grove despite bad reviews.
So it will be the William Tockman version of Clock King. I was always partial to Temple Fugate the version of Clock King from the DCAU.

With "How I Met your Mother" coming to an end I find myself wishing that Neil Patrick Harris will appear on Arrow as the live action Music Meister
I smell high-concept blithering for BoJack Horseman. Sometimes you can assemble all the right talent and the concept just drags it down to hell.

OMG, an actual Green Arrow villain on Arrow! Clock King kinda sucks, but the casting hopefully will make up for that. It'd be nice if the writing did, but that's not likely to happen.
I think writing for Arrow is mainly going well... let's have some hope!
Staff
CLOCK KING IS AWESOME. SHUT UP.
Whatever you have to tell yourself to sleep at night, Noel.
Netflix has failed to offer an original program that can hold my interest and this effing cartoon with not change that. At least there's the Marvel series'.

not crazy about dramas but maybe I'll try Reaching for Heaven. That other Sundance show whose name I already forgot was good. damnit, brain, why hast thou forsaken me!?!?

I'm currently desperate for TV, maybe I'll try Basket Case when it rolls around.

Awesome The Bridge news. I love both Lillard and Rios.

Awesome Arrow news. I love Knepper. Too bad Mob City was too crappy to sit through.

Guy Pearce on Sean Saves the World is sad, sad news. I'm gonna call Pearce's character in Memento "Memento" like some people call Raylan Givens' character on Justified "Justified" just because I can't recall his characters name. Whatever the case his tattoos were absolutely one of the best parts of the story and as someone who's not-so-slowly losing his mind I've wondered if they wouldn't be a good idea in my own case.

rectify! the sundance show was rectify...
May I ask why Orange Is The New Black didn't hold your interest?
I just didn't find any of the characters either realistic enough or compelling enough. or even the whole prison for that matter. I get that apparently it was all based on real events and therefore a real low-security lockup or something and I just don't find that compelling. not when shows like OZ have existed.
While watching Rick and Morty for the first time today, I was randomly though that Netflix would be a good home for some kind of adult cartoon. I'll obviously have to see this before getting too excited about it, but it does sound like it could be good, and I like the choice of actors.
The more I think of the idea, the more I love it. :P
What is someone as talented as Guy Pearce doing on a show like Sean Saves the World? He needs to fire his agent ASAP.