Networks cancel 7th Heaven, Arrested

The Camdens will bid farewell to viewers in May when the WB Network's top-rated family drama 7th Heaven ends its run after 10 seasons in what sources said was largely a cost-cutting move.

The Bluth clan of Fox's ratings-challenged Arrested Development is also headed for the exit after Fox cut the third-season order on the Emmy-winning comedy to 13 episodes.

Also getting the ax at Fox is Arrested's companion on Monday, the freshman comedy Kitchen Confidential, whose order will not be extended beyond the initial 13 episodes.

7th Heaven, whose debut on August 26, 1996, marked the first-ever Monday broadcast of the then-fledging WB Network, will bow out as the longest-running family drama on television.

After 10 seasons, the show is still a top draw for WB, averaging 5.1 million viewers this season to date. Creatively, the show also will go out in style, creator Brenda Hampton said.

"I think this is the best season we've ever had, and we're planning a very exciting and heartwarming conclusion to the series," she said. "On the show, we talk about choosing your feelings, and we chose to feel happy and blessed to have been on the air for so long."

There is talk about a potential 7th Heaven spinoff, but Hampton admits that would be hard to do.

"[7th Heaven] is a family show," she said. "I think the success of the show is that the family is intact with the mom, the dad and the children, so it is a very difficult show to spin off."

Sources indicated that the reasons to take 7th Heaven off the air were primarily financial. As series age, they get more and more expensive, with the price tag especially high for a show with a large cast like 7th Heaven. The cancellation of the long-running series also comes during a process of extensive cost-cutting across all Warner Bros. divisions.

As for the demise of Arrested, it comes just as the acclaimed comedy came back this week after a hiatus to make room for Fox's baseball coverage. The two back-to-back episodes averaged a paltry 4 million viewers Monday, sending Fox to fifth place in the 8 p.m. hour and putting a dent on the ratings of its lead-out, the rookie drama Prison Break.

There is a possibility that the show will be shopped around, but its high cost is expected to be prohibitive for a cable network. Fox said Thursday that it will pull Arrested Development and Kitchen Confidential off the schedule for the remaining three Mondays of the November sweep, replacing them with a rerun of the previous episode of Prison Break leading into an original episode of the serialized drama. Arrested and Kitchen are set to return to their time slots with original episodes December 5, following the fall finale of Prison Break on November 28.

well, fox always cut good shows. They cut firefly remember. At least they have Prison Break. If they cut that off i'll piss my TV
I wish i could say i told you so but...Fox has a history of cutting shows that begin to have a cult following. It was just a matter of time before they gave the ax to these shows. They did it with Keen Eddie by sticking that show after American Junior now its Arrested Development & Kitchen Confidental. Although Prison Break is a good show, Kitchen Confidental was starting to get good. They shold just move them to FX. Eventually, they'll realize their mistake like they did with Family Guy and order more episodes!
i love 7th heaven they shouldnt cancel it....
its like my favorite show on tv....
No you cant cancel 7th heaven. I love this show.. You just made me very sad..

Please do not take 7th Heaven off, because my step sister, cousin, and I made it our monday night thing. We all get together on monday nights even if it is a rerun. Now we have other friends and family that are watching as well. I have watched almost every show out there. Mondays and tuesdays our girls nights. Gilmore girls is the tusedays nights. We can give you some show Idea's if you need them but don't take the show.

I hate to do this but I think you will lose alot of us for monday night viewing. A new show can not replace 7th Heaven. So please let us see How Ruthie turns out before cutting us off.

Kathy Mack
while I will not shed a single tear for 7th heaven, being one of the most hypocrite, slimy and disgusting tv series I've ever witnessed in my entire life, I will mourn for AD, a clever, funny and off-beat comedy series. remember the good-grief episode with all the charlie brown references? god, that is good TV!
I love 7th Heaven. Without it there is no reason for me to even have a TV. I love it so much. I always knew it would eventually have to end but i didnt want it to end now though.I am very fortunate that 7th Heaven was able to air as long as it did. I just hope that all the cast stays in touch with eachother and my dream has always been to meet them. I hope the series finale will be spectacular. I am sure it will be though because every episode is great. To all the cast; you guys worked really hard and did an amazing job. thank you so much!

7th Heaven Fan Forever and Always
Now, where can I watch Mackenzie Rosman and Beverley Mitchell? We'll never get to see Savannah grow up! Sam and David are so cute! This bites ice!
Why 7th Heaven? All the good shows are coming to an end. Without this show, I have no reason to watch TV on Monday nights. Please please please reconsider.
They cant end it... Their arnt any real shows only stupid reality shows that are so fake. But 7th Heaven had a real story line and talked about drugs and things to help people I wish this wasnt true its my favorite show besides Gilmore Girls and this is its last year too...
someone should call the WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMBLUANCE!!
________
| *cry* |_o_
| |---\-
=(*)-----(*)-'
That ****s! How can you take away the one show I watch on WB? You guys only care about your money! How many good shows have been thrown away by you guys? Hmmmm, I think you and I both know there's too many to count! Now I'm telling you that your rightings will go to h*** after this! You seriously need to think about your priorities and if you go through with this your going to see a big boycott from me! And thanks for being such uncaring jerks!
I'm surprised Kitchen Confidential gets axed. I never watched it but it received a lot of praise in the press. Were the ratings bad then?
Wow. Moving the show to the Monday death zone, airing 3 episodes then pulling it for 6 weeks, THEN using low ratings for canning the show??

Wow, when Arrested ends there's literally nothing left for me to watch on the big networks...
Okay this bites.How can they cancel,end or whatever you want to what they are doing to 7th heaven.I don't want Tyler hoechlin to leave the tv screen he is to cute to leave it.But I'm not like all the other people on thewb.com who is about to do a cartwheel or go bilistic and make millions of pitions because it is ending.I will miss all of the cast encluding Jessica who yes has already sort of left the show but it was just fun with all the drama she brought.I know this is going to be sad and bitter sweet but I guess all shows must come to an end.I just think they are ending it in to good of a season is couldn't they like do a 11th season and do like 5 to 6 eppy's to end the show.But I guess they can't that's okay as long as there are reruns on the wb and there always is on abc family.I will miss all the cast liked I mentioned but I will miss all the cuties and hotties which are David,Tyler,George,Geoff,Carlos.I won't miss Rose's character though or Hailey duff's character at all.Well this is me giving 7th heaven my official farewell and goodbye.I will miss you all

7th heaven major fan
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHhhhhhhhhhhhhh

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Fox should be ashamed of the way that they have treated this show from the very beginning. Anyone who has followed this show knows that it is the funniest, smartest & most original sitcom since Seinfeld. If Fox is indeed giving up on it, I hope another network has the sense to pick it and promote it in the way that a multi-Emmy winning show deserves.
I'm sorry to see it go! 7th Heaven was one of my favorite shows when I was younger, and I wish they could keep it around longer. The cast is talented, so I know we'll be seeing more of them. I understand WB's reasoning, so I'm not as upset as I should be. XOXO-Natasha
I'm happy it ends...
I never watched 7th Heaven, so I have no opinion on that, but the cancellation of Kitchen Confidential, a show that should never have aired, is no surprise, and Arrested Development was a mildly entertaining show that had its moments, and its moment is over.

Although it doesn't particularly upset me, the cancellation of Arrested is a bit puzzling, as Fox has several shows that are much worse -- American Dad, the going downhill fast Family Guy, the incredibly awful War at Home, the O.C., and an hour or so pantload full of "reality" TV. At least they have (so far) left alone their few good shows -- House, Bones, Malcolm, and at times King of the Hill.
Damn! Don't cancel Kitchen Confidential!! Give it some time bastards!
FOX ****!
aaah! 7th heaven is gone...my life is over! NOT that show ****ed from the beginning yay for cancelation!
7th Heaven has gone on for long enough. I watched it until...Sam and David were born, then it just got too....old. I know, families can be as large as the Camdens, but it was getting kind of stupid, with all the room they made in the house for Martin, and the family members, like Matt, helping elderly people, which was nice the first few times, and pregnant-abandoned women, that was nice too, but still...So good bye 7th Heaven, I don't know what will come on at 8/7 c on The WB anymore...Something not so predictable, I hope. Besides, Ruthie, look at her, she was a cute little 5-6 year old when it started, it is time to move on, she is like 15 now.

Arrested Development...I saw one episode, I believe, it had one man saying something about someone telling this man that his uncle was his father, but they told him that his father was actually his uncle? Sorry if I got that wrong, it has been a while, and I only saw it once, the guy did say it a little fast, but after that, I wanted to watch it, but I could never catch it on TV, wish it could stay on. This is off topic, but I was just going to tell you all, something that could happen, it happened to me: Ok, so back in 2004, I was flipping channels and came across the WB, it was a Tuesday night, between 8-9/7-8 c. I stopped to see what was on. It had two ladies, and one man standing in front of a wooden wall, it looked interesting, I hadn't ever seen this show, so I watched it until a commercial break, but I didn't realize at the time that I was on the WB, and I couldn't find it again after the commercial break, I am not a fan of commercials, so I went on flipping channels. Then, October 2004 came and this show came to ABC Family, it aired right after Full House. I had a routine of watching Full House while doing my homework and for one day, I didn't change the channel to see what was on next, then, a show came on, I watched 1.5 episodes of it, and fell MADLY IN LOVE WITH IT! The show was Gilmore Girls and I watched it everyday after school. Then, in one episode I recognized the same episode, the same part of which I had seen just a few montsh before. Now, is that not weird? I had watched the same show months before, and liked it, but couldn't find it again, until it came to ABC Family, then I saw it again, and am now totally obsessed with it! Ok, that is just what could happen if FOX will let Arrested Deveopment go to a new network.
How could they cancel Arrested??????? Just when I started watching too. Oh well, I'd say that there's a pretty good chance that some other network will pick it up, hopefully HBO or NBC. If it were on HBO, they could do a whole lot more w/ less complaining about being "appropriate" or not. Look at what happend to Seinfeld, FOX took it after NBC. Maybe that's what'll happen, FOX would regret dropping such a great show, and all of a sudden, Arrested would become one of the most popular shows on television.
NOOO they can not take 7th heaven off i will so cry
FOX never really was behind this show. I never saw any ads to help promote this show. If they were behind it, I would have seen something to show for it. :-P FOX you, FOX
I was 14 when the show started I’ll just have turned 23 next May I knew one it would end day, actually thought this should be the last season, but I guess in away I thought it wouldn’t end. Im thankfully for the 10 seasons we did get though, I mean who would thought that the show would go so long. I hope it goes out with a bang
This so toatally ****! I love 7th Heaven!
They should move Arrested and Kitchen over to FX. FX rocks. They have all the cutting edge shows now anyway. I bet that they would find an audience there. I don't know how they expect to get good ratings when they put a show on without any promotion, put it on hiatus for sports, then gripe when no one watches it when it's put back on with no fore-warning. All putting repeats of Prison Break in it's place is going to do is let people watch 2 episodes of the show back to back every other week. The odd weeks they are going to lose viewers. NBC has made the same mistake with Law and Order CI on Fridays. People watch original programing, not episodes that they just saw a few days before. It's called Tivo folks.
At worst, they should just broadcast Arrrested and Kitchen Confidential in the summers, that seems to be the place to earn ratings now anyway. There are just too many stations out there to get huge ratings anymore. Stupid TV execs.... They'll all get fired in a few weeks because no one watched them either.
I see why most of the shows listed above could go, but 7th Heaven will probably cost you many viewers. Me for one, I don't get into blood and guts. So, The Camdens, which is my family's personal favorite, will be missed. My teens enjoy it as well....
I won't miss them.
10 years for 7th Heaven is one big achievement, I hope they will leave with a bang....

I'm sorry for Arrested Devlopment To be fair, FOX gave this show a try, knowing FOX which is so popular with cancelling shows abruptly, the ratings were just too low.....
Not ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT, FOX you SOB's...excuse my language...I'm just so angered by FOX's decision. It's so unfair when the best comedy on TV is gets cancelled. I also think that 7th Heaven had a long successful run. And for a young network, to have one of its first shows last 10 years is really outstanding. My family, along many other families will always remember this show.
I am too sad that 7th Heaven is ending. But it really is time for the show to come to a closing.
The people at Fox, along with the idiots that can't understand simple wit and humor, will get what's coming to them. Sorry Arrested Development is not as hillbilly simple to understand as the fools of Blue Collar Comedy.
First the WB cancels Summerland, now 7th Heaven? I'm in utter outrage, they are crazy!!! I'm gonna go cry now.
First the WB cancels Summerland, now 7th Heaven? I'm on utter outrage, they are crazy!!! I'm gonna go cry now.
Arrested Development is the the best comedy on television. I'm shocked it's being taken off making room for yet more garbage. And 7th Heaven. Another great, family oriented show being taken off. I'm so done with television. Thank God for cable.

If Fox got their act together and did proper marketing - spent some money on promotion - Arrested Development would be a success. Most people have never heard of the show! That's FOX's problem, not the problem of the hardworking actors. I wish people would turn FOX off in protest until someone over there wakes up and gets the guts to stick with something as funny as AD. Invest a little money. How were people supposed to know about it? Word of mouth I guess. They never gave it a chance.
Forgot to add, FOX YOU, FOX.
Oh it kills me! I was having a good day yesterday until I found this out. Arrested Development and Kitchen Confidential had life and personality. Can anyone tell me what television is coming to when Thw War at Home and Freddie get full seasons and gems like AD get cancelled? What have you people been watching? Yuck.
they should spin off the featherbottom character and do it like mrs. doughtfire. it would be hilarious and make a lot of money. if you don't think so look at the series bosom buddy.
no! its not fair. not arrested development, i love that show. who cares about 7th heaven, 10 years is good enough.i'm mad now.