New Buffy Movie, No Joss Whedon

... S***storm coming in three... two... one... Warner Bros. has announced that it's rebooting the original 1992 Buffy the Vampire Slayer movie that starred Kristy Swanson and served as a backbone for the wildly popular cult series of the same name. However, the new movie will not feature the franchise's lifeblood Joss Whedon, who ascended to the status of Lord Creator in many fans' eyes as screenwriter for the film and showrunner for the series. Instead, a young writer named Whit Anderson will pen the movie. Go ahead and speculate on all things Buffy in the comments section, below. [LA Times]

... Jorge Garcia, who played Hurley in Lost, is headed to another island. Garcia will star in J.J. Abrams' upcoming drama Alcatraz, about the famous island prison in the San Francisco Bay. The show will feature some sci-fi elements, with FBI agents trying to figure out why Alcatraz prisoners and guards reappear in the present day after being missing for 30 years. Garcia will play Dr. Diego Soto, a hippie dude who happens to be the world's foremost expert on the prison. [Deadline Hollywood]

... Do you watch ABC? Then you are a girl, according to this New York Magazine article. The network is attempting to inject some testosterone into its female-heavy viewership with a project in development based on comedian Jay Mohr's autobiography "No Wonder My Parents Drank." Mohr will star in the comedy about *surprise!* a guy raising kids. [Vulture]

... Cartoon Network has canceled Unnatural History, the network's first hour-long live-action show. That's what you get, stupid network that names itself one thing and then does a completely different thing! [Deadline Hollywood]

... You loved Planet Earth. You loved Life. Next, you will love History of the World, the just-announced documentary series from the BBC and Discovery Channel. As the title doesn't imply, we'll see humanity evolve over 20,000 years in a series of eight episodes. No word on whether Mel Brooks will be involved. [New York Times]

... Julia Louis-Dreyfus will star in Showtime's Veep, playing a senator who happens to land in the post of Vice President. No word on when this will be out. [Deadline Hollywood]

... For some reason Fox announced its mid-season schedule right after I walked out the door on Friday to drown my sorrows with another typical weekend of crying on the couch while sipping on bottle of Midori. So I'm sorry if you already know about this. But here's the big deal: Fox is moving Fringe to Fridays. What the fffffffffffffff!? Fringe on Fridays? First Supernatural, now Fringe? Is my taste in television shows that bad? Ugh! Oh and some show called American Idol is moving to Wednesdays and Thursdays, if you've ever heard of it, Running Wilde might be dead, Breaking In has been slotted for Wednesdays, and Mixed Signals will air on Tuesdays. [LA Times]

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

A "new" Buffy? That's gonna be interesting. Who knows.. if my expectations are as low as they can get maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised? B... Fringe on Fridays? That's just cruel, FOX.
If I were ruler of the universe, Buffy would be continued only as Josh sees fit, when he sees fit. But I am not ruler. So I whine with a lot of other people and ask only that they make there stupid movie and leave the slayer out of it. Which slayer you ask? Buffy. Sure they can make any movie about any other slayer they want. But leave Buffy out of it unless Josh is doing it. Please.
RE: JavierMontano http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2010/12/01/report-joss-whedon-was-offered-the-buffy-reboot/ Stop complaining!

Obviously the point of him turning it down was a hint, as in "no, it isn't the right time and I (who made BtVS what it is) am not ready to reboot it yet. Think of an original idea yourselves..." and yet they are still rebooting it. Just because Joss turned it down doesn't mean we shouldn't be upset they are rebooting BtVS. If anything it means we should be more upset. Get a grip.
Where you can go along with world trends on ~~( www.Mygoodbag.com )~~~.There are so many fashion items you need and all the big brand you love. Like: Louis Vuitton Chanel Gucci Burberry Chloe Hermes Prada Fendi etc.
I don't understand how Joss could have ruined Buffy when he created the entire character and concept! Also, I do think think that Dakota could possibly make a good Buffy... but I am sure there is a better Buffy out there if they look hard enough.
Stop complaining!
Eh, I wouldn't be excited even if Joss Whedon was involved. Whedon is the one who ruined Buffy to begin with.
Buffy without Whedon & SMG?? Man I can't wait to miss that :)
No! I love Dakota Fanning as an actress but she is so not a Buffy. I agree that a new Buffy movie would be awesome though, but Dakota is so not a Buffy!

CAN'T WAIT FOR THE NEW BUFFY MOVIE!!!!
A new Buffy movie would be cool. How about Dakota Fanning for Buffy? She's the perfect age (16) and is an incredible actress.
I DVR my shows, so I'm okay with Fringe moving to Fridays, just as long as it doesn't end up as repeats on Saturday afternoons. I love Fringe and wish it had more followers.
OK, I usually don't get upset when something I don't like is popular. If it brings joy to others, who am I to say it shouldn't be on the air? If I don't like it I can simply choose not to watch it and let the people who like it watch it all they want. Now, that being said... I am so f@*%ng sick and tired of extremely well put-together shows like Fringe being bumped out of the way for uninspired trash like American Idol. Why shows like Idol, So You Think You Can Prance and Dancing With The D-List have gained so much popularity I will NEVER understand. Some people say about today's shows: "Well, they just don't make 'em like they used to." Untrue! The truth: They're just not giving the good ones a chance. There are some shows being produced that are as good as anything that has came before them. Unfortunately, networks like Fox (the absolute worst when it comes to nurturing good shows) are more interested in the low cost-high return cash cow that is "reality TV". But, it's a business, it's all about ratings and advertising value, so it's not really shocking at all. I don't know, maybe Fringe will be one of the rare success stories where a good show eventually gets picked up by another network that actually has an idea of what to do with it. Anyways, if I offended anyone I apologize, I just had to get that off of my chest as I'm so disappointed to see yet another fabulous show on it's way out at the hands of the realitymeisters at Fux... sorry Fox. That is all.
I don't like the idea of a Jossless Buffy but i'll probably watch it just to see what it's like.
boo WB, boo! what are they dumb? Well let me spell it out for you........................... B A D I D E A!!!!!!
I too am sick of dumb reality shows taking over from real shows with a plot, and doubly sick of my favorite well-written shows being canceled so often, but I have to confess that I love Dancing with the Stars and So You Think You Can Dance. Every other reality show is crap, but those two I really enjoy. Most of the dancers (and a few of the "stars') really are talented and amazing, plus the feature performances are very well produced. American Idol has had its day, and I think it should be over now.
Friday night...aka "where Fox sends good shows to die."
Bad idea! a very very bad idea!
Great shows like Fringe suffer, while other shows like Fastlane, Terminator, Drive, and Firefly pay the ultimate price because of IDIOTS watching STUPID reality talent shows like American Idol, America's Got Talent, Dancing with the Stars, and Jersey Shore. Reality shows starring people that everyone forgets about a year later. Can't you people see that these networks are using you??? They make shows like Idol and Jersey Shore because they are cheap to produce, they don't have to pay a ton of real actors or use any special effects, and you sheep eat it up like its candy while the network executives laugh in your faces saying "How cheap a show can we produce and still get these idiots to watch?" Wake up people. Turn off crap like Idol, Jersey Shore, and Dancing with the Stars, and watch real tv like Lost, Fringe, Human Target, How I Met Your Mother, The Big Bang Theory or just any REAL SHOW.
SURPRISE SURPRISE, FOX moving Fringe to Fridays. This is why I hate FOX. They have GREAT shows all the time, but then they either cancel them if they're not a runaway hit in the first 2 episodes or they move their best shows to Fridays and then cancel them. Anyone remember Fastlane? A slam bang action show that got moved to Fridays and then canceled on a cliffhanger. Remember Drive? Another great action drama that was intriguing but got canned after 6 episodes. Firefly, Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles, and Human Target may be next... I'm so sick of FOX cancelling and destroying amazing shows just when they are really getting good just to open up another Timeslot for the borefest that is American Idol, or for bull crap like hell's kitchen.
if they made a reboot but did'nt make it just like the other movie like if they included Willow Xander Angel and Anya and got as much of the original cast back and got joss whedon in just to consult on certain things then the movie wouldn't be too bad
It's time to be together against this stupid project! Joins the group "NO to the Warner's Buffy the vampire slayer movie!": http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_168899736464729
Okay listen up folks. If you are a fan of the 1992 Buffy the Vampire Slayer film starring Kirsty Swanson and Luke Perry, then by all means go watch the reboot movie. If you are a fan of the 1996 tv show starring Sarah Michelle Gellar STAY AWAY FROM THIS FILM. There will be NO Giles, Xander, Willow, Angel, Spike, Drusilla or Cordelia in this film. It will be B.I.N.O.> Buffy In Name Only.
this movie wont work without sarah who can they possible get to fill the shoes of buffy.i have no ideal if its gone b good or not .i cant judge it until i see it.and i hate how joss talks.he act like his the best writer ever and he aint.he should be the last one to talk when he is rewritten wonderwoman and batman.and his trying to do terminator.joss needs to get over himself.but i will say why are people jus taking shows brad took charemd,sera took supernatural,now this.all i can do is wish for the best.
Fringe is amazing, don't understand why people won't give it a chance.
Guys, keep watching Fringe LIVE when it moves to Fridays, and the show will live for at least season 4.
Buffy the Vampire Slayer without Joss Whedon?!?! What the heck is up with that? "Instead, a young writer named Whit Anderson will pen the movie." Who is Whit Anderson anyway - I've never heard this name before. Well, I won't be watching this version of the movie. And now FOX is moving Fringe to Fridays mid-season!! Again, what the heck is up with that? Both of these developments are annoying.
Ugh, we're gonna get the exact same rubbish they tried to make in the movies. I don't know where the support for this film is gonna come from when the Buffy fans don't see JW directing this crap.
KILL MEEEEE!!!! I think we need to organize a rally and picket Warner Bros. Angry mob anyone? NO BUFFY MOVIE! NO BUFFY MOVIE!
@nairhar101 Yeah, season 1 was pretty awful. The only good thing I can remember, was SMG with a skirt :$ Maybe a couple of episodes...but in general it was pretty bad. Season 2 and 3 were perfect. Season 4 OK, season 5 great, 6 and 7 OK
I have a feeling I'm going to get hated for saying this just as much as I would if I said something negative about Twilight to a Twi-hard, but... Why are they remaking Buffy? I watched the first season and I thought it was one of the most awful things I had ever seen. Possessed puppets? Grasshopper substitute teachers? Possessed computer/alien/monsters? Seriously? It was pretty bad... Maybe it got better as the show went on, though. I don't know...
i am going right away to drowning my sorrows in ben & jerry's half baked ice cream, because i'm just not taking these buffy news very well..
No Joss Whedon....oh dear.
I loved the Star Trek reboot so I won't give up on the Buffy movie since not all reboots suck but I would be happier if Joss, Sarah, David, Nicholas, Alyson, etc were involved with it.
I say do the Buffy reboot. I loved the show and if the movie sucks then in my mind nothing will have changed: Buffy ended with season 8 (the comics, which I haven't read yet) and the movie just didn't happen. I mean, after all, it was just a matter of time til they would reboot. Unoriginal? Yes. Interested? A little bit. My curiosity wins. Just can't help but wonder what they'll do with it..
Oh no,I hope the movie doesn't happen..
Fringe to the bone yard??!! What the H? It's one of the best shows on, I can't believe it, what's wrong with Fox? Is American Idol really attracting that many viewers? 'Cuz from what I've seen it's just a bunch of whiny losers singing out of breath and mostly out of tune some stupid songs!!! :@
That sucks for Fringe. And Buffy is Doomed...DOOMED!!!
umm... Buffy without Joss is NOT Buffy. Not interested.
They moved Fringe for American Idol?? I don't understand...
Buffy Better Be Done Right!!!! All I have to say about that one. Some of these other shows etc... sound disappointing. Don't care what day anything is on, and History of the World might be interesting.
When did Fridays get such a bad rap? The X-Files started out on Fridays and Battlestar Galactica was always a Friday night show. My roommates and I used to look forward to X-Files every week, it was the perfect way to kick off the weekend. When Fox moved it to Sundays it was never the same and I soon stopped watching it. BSG was also a great show to watch then go out on Fridays, that or I saved it for Saturday morning. I think Fringe might make a perfect Friday night show.
Whedon's response: http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2010/11/22/joss-whedon-responds-to-buffy-news-with-strong-mixed-emotions/#idc-cover
I thought this was a joke when I first heard it. Is there no one left that has an original idea? Way to trash something fantastic.
Buffy without Whedon is NOT BUFFY!
The thing about the Star Trek reboot that made it work on some level was that in many ways it wasn't a reboot. They used a time travel angle to alter continuity and create a new separate universe so both series can stand. At the time, It was a novel way of refreshing the series with out throwing away the previous movies and series. They all still exist in a different continuity that is referenced by the presence of older Spock While time travel is possible in the Buffyverse, it just does not seem like the right way of doing things. For one, it has been done so it would just be copying from Star Trek. Buffy is a beloved franchise that really has never ended thanks to the Buffy and Angel comic series. This is not a Battlestar Galactica situation where the series ended decades earlier and was dated when it was made making it ripe for reimagining. Buffy was novel and ahead of its time and still stands up to todays standards. Just leave it alone. Expand the universe if you wish but do not destroy what has come before it. There were characters in the background that could be ripe for a series or movie if introduced correctly. Faith and Giles could be poised to strike out on their own. Wood from the last season could be interesting as the son of a slayer. Maybe have a prequel focus on his being raised and trained after Spike kills his mother. Then there is Anne, who is a girl with out a name of her own, who uses Buffy's former alias to help people in LA and sometimes has to deal with the supernatural. There are any number of ideas that can be done without a reboot.
(1) I was never a huge fan of the original Buffy so I can't say it's a huge loss to me, personally. Not really shocking that Whedon isn't involved, either. He's been repeatedly abused. (2) Unnatural History was by far not the best TV show ever but it was entertaining on a certain level and had potential. At the very least Italia Ricci made it watchable if the plot for an episode got boring. I didn't expect the ratings to be through the roof but I would have expected it to at least get a second season. (3) I'm not sure what to make of Fringe being moved. With the number of people using Tivo, Hulu, etc, the actual day of the week a show airs on is less important in terms of viewing it. Of course this can skew viewing statistics. Fridays are pretty dead at the moment though. For years Numb3rs and Ghost Whisperer held their own on Fridays with decent ratings. If the fans follow Fringe to Fridays then there shouldn't be a problem. The more worrisome thing is whether we'll end up with a show that gets buried on Fridays as the plot fizzles. A number of acclaimed shows have spontaneously combusted in recent years.
Fringe will absolutely survive the Friday curse. It's a quality show with some loyal fans, including myself.
I hope fringe will survive the Friday curse.
The new Buffy is bullcrap. Not even going to watch it. I'm loyal to Wheadon! You can't remake a classic.
I never really jumped all the way into Buffy...(though I would have loved to...if you know what I mean) but I speculate that young writer Whit Anderson will soon be unable to leave his home out of fear of being staked by a horde of maniacal fanboys.
Load More Comments