News Briefs: A Game of Thrones Actor Is Joining FX's The Strain

FYI DON'T INVITE HIM TO ANY OF YOUR WEDDINGS

... David Bradley, who played Walder Frey in Game of Thrones (or perhaps Argus Filch in Harry Potter is more your style?)has replaced John Hurt as Professor Abraham Setrakian in Guillermo del Toro's new FX series The Strain. Setrakian is a holocaust survivor living in the United States. He now runs a pawn shop in Spanish Harlem and miiight just have the answers to the viral outbreak that is the focus of the series. [FX via press release]

BUSINESS TIME

... Man, I really hope the Japanese love NCIS as much as Americans love NCIS, because FOX Japan is attempting to set a new world record for "the longest uninterrupted transmission of a TV series" when it marathons all 234 episodes of the first 10 seasons of NCIS from start to finish. The marathon begins at 11pm on Sunday, December 29 and ends at 5pm on Wednesday, January 8, 2014. Just a heads up Japan, you might want to double check that your DVR settings are on "new episodes only" and not "new and repeat episodes." Unless you have 10 DVRs and reallllllly like DiNozzo, I mean. [CBS via press release]

... WGN America, which will soon be the home of Shane West in period clothing, has partnered with the Weinstein company to produce a Ten Commandments miniseries. It is, naturally, a 10-part series, and will be produced by Bruce Cohen (Silver Linings Playbook). [Deadline]

... Attention ladies (and Tim): Hugh Jackman has been tapped to host TNT's annual holiday special Christmas In Washington! Performing at this year's special are: the Backstreet Boys, Sheryl Crow, Anna Kendrick, Janelle Monáe and Pat Monahan. And of course, nothing says Christmas like Charles Barkley! He'll also appear on the special when it airs Friday, December 20 at 8pm. [TNT via press release]

... Chuck co-creator Chris Fedak is developing the mystery thriller The Woods for Syfy. It centers on young woman who who suffers a lapse in judgement and decides to return to the creepy, wooded mansion her sister disappeared from when they were young. Listen, if my brother disappeared when we were younger, I'd have stolen his Game Boy, poured myself some Kool-Aid, and relaaaaaxed. Just kidding. I'd have been sad ... eventually. But I would never, ever, ever go back to the creepy house he disappeared from. Ever. Guess that's the difference between me and this fictional character. [THR]

... Listen up, twerps. Sundance Channel really, really, really  wants you to watch The Returned. So much so that they're marathon-ing the series four times during the month of December. Four. That means you're going to have to come up with four very good excuses as to why you can't watch it. However, if one of those is, "because dead children are creepy and give me nightmares," then I completely understand that and you're excused. As for the rest of you, please choose from the following marathon dates depending on how much you've already seen:

Sunday, December 1:  Re-airing episodes 1-5 from 3:45pm – 10pm

Sunday, December 8: Re-airing episodes 1-6 from 2:30pm – 10pm

Sunday, December 15: Re-airing episodes 1-7 from 1:15pm – 10pm

Sunday, December 22: Re-airing episodes 1-8 (All of season one) from Noon – 10pm

[Sundance via press release]

... Did you know A&E was making a Bonnie and Clyde miniseries? Well, it premieres December 8, stars Emile Hirsch, William Hurt, Holly Hunter, Sarah Hyland, and Holliday Grainger. Oh, and and here's a pretty nifty promo for it:

CASTING NEWS

... Chi McBride has been upgraded to a series regular on Hawaii Five-0. His first appearance as Captain Lou Grover was this past September. Grover heads up the SWAT unit on Oahu. I'm kind of surprised it took them this long to upgrade him. McBride is a baller. BRB off to watch all of Pushing Daisies again. [CBS via press release]

... Odette Annable has booked a recurring gig on Two and a Half Men as a possible love interest for Ashton Kutcher's Walden. She'll make her debut in the January 2 episode. [TV Line]

REQUIRED READING (FOR AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. FANS)

...  Executive producers Jed Whedon and Maurissa Tancharoen chatted with Collider recently. Some takeaways: they have a pretty solid two-season plan mapped out for Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. And Fitz and Simmons were originally based on the Casey Affleck and Scott Caan characters in Ocean's Eleven. [Collider]

Dec 05, 2013
Odette Annable is too good just to play a love interest, she needs a good part.

Dec 05, 2013
Walder Frey needs to get some Stark revenge, he is vile.
Dec 02, 2013
It's not Fitz and Simmons, it's FitzSimmons! Get it straight, lol!
Nov 25, 2013
oh man, Pushing Daisies! I miss that show too. Chi McBride is always a good time, glad to see him regularly on H50.
Nov 24, 2013
"... David Bradley, who played Walder Frey in Game of Thrones (or perhaps Argus Filch inHarry Potter is more your style?)"

THAT's where I knew the guy from when seeing him in GoT. It was driving me mad.
Nov 23, 2013
So... Sundance in Canada. How about airing The Returned - even once?
Nov 22, 2013
I kind of getting bored with The Returned after episode 4. Perhaps tired of watching the sub titles.
Nov 22, 2013
I would love to spend a vacation watching NCIS from start to finish. And eating cookies.
Nov 22, 2013
Sooo sad to see John Hurt not working on The Strain anymore. I want to be mad at David Bradley, but really was "The Rains of Castamere" not enough reason to love him every bit as much as we absolutely hate him as well??
Nov 22, 2013
Pushing Daisies!! And Tim loves Hugh too! Well, who doesn't love Hugh?
I've only seen one episode of Shield, but those two characters totally reminded me of the brother/sister from Bioshock Infinite.
Nov 22, 2013
"That means you're going to have to come up with four very good excuses as to why you can't watch it."

How about just one? The show is terrible. But OK, if you want that reason broken up into four parts, here you go:

1. The people on the show keep doing things that don't make sense.
2. There are lots of scenes make no sense, and have no other purpose than to make you go "oooh that's mysteriousss".
3. The background music is annoying at first, and then gets more and more annoying until it's all you think about.
4. Camille is a terrible character, and the actress is pretty bad.
Nov 22, 2013
very good, thaks for film.
Nov 22, 2013
Affleck and Caan were fine in Ocean's Eleven, but I still thought I'd never see the day when I'd read about a show basing two characters off of them.
Nov 22, 2013
How the hell does Two and A Half Men keep managing to bag the talented, attractive, respectable actresses? Amber Tamblyn, Judy Greer, Emmanuelle Vaugier(I think) and now Oddette Annable have all been tricked into appearing on this garbage show and those are just the ones off the top of my head. Weren't Jeri Ryan and Tricia Helfer somehow dragged into this too? That doesn't make sense though... How does anyone make Tricia Helfer do something she doesn't want to do? she's bad-ass. I'm confused.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Nov 22, 2013
That, unfortunately, is what I was think.

Interga...what?
Nov 22, 2013
Why wouldn't they want to do it? I would guess that they get something like 50000 bucks for working two hours a day for a week.
Nov 22, 2013
Also, I don't think Odette Annable is that good. She was the least interesting of the female doctors on House, and was at best OK on Breaking In. The show was terrible when it returned without her, but it wasn't because she was gone. By the end of season 1, I was already hoping that whatshisname would get over his crush on her and hook up with that girl from his old high school.
Nov 22, 2013
There already has been a miniseries made about the Ten Commandments called Dekalog and it's only the greatest thing to ever have been on TV. Why even try to emulate it.
Nov 22, 2013
Fitz and Simmons were originally based on the Casey Affleck and Scott Caan characters in Ocean's Eleven. That would've been cool.
Nov 22, 2013
David Bradley better hope Ralph Fiennes doesn't get a guest spot or his pawn shop will be closing early.
Nov 22, 2013
More MOaS comments from that interview...

- So far this show is clearly not about S.H.I.E.L.D., it's not even Coulson, it's like a whisper of a shadow of both.

- They think their characters are relatable? They're all enigmas or annoying, most of them are dull or worse that they're dulled down from what promise they had. And waiting for the guy who flies, are they working together or in any way thinking about each other? Not from what I've seen.

- I feel like neither of them have any clue as to the actual Marvel universe or the MCU, they talk about it as writing and then checking a book, not having any genesis whatsoever in Marvel. That shows on the screen.

- I wonder what they were looking for with these specific characters if this is what they had in mind all along. I originally got the feeling that there was this "let's do Firefly but like this" sense to the origin of this series, but these characters don't seem as solid or as logical together as those on Firefly did. They also don't seem organic to Coulson's tastes at all, so I'm curious how they got there in their heads. Nice to hear they put all of 20 minutes into the conversation though.

- Their first comic-con came after Dr. Horrible, that says a lot to me, they're not "fans", they're that new generation of Hollywood folk who have infected comic-con the last few years.
Nov 22, 2013
My take away from the interview:

They want to make a show they like and want to watch, but what about the Marvel fan community and comic fans in general? They hope they'll like it too?

The "invented" these characters. That answers a question I had about whether they exist in the comics or movies to begin with. Could they not have used any characters from the comics? Are they all invented or from the films? Is Smulders' character strictly from the film or was she a comic character? I'm honestly up to date on the current SHIELD stories.

Then there is this:
“We consciously did not put superheroes on the show. This is a TV show. We have to be realistic about our budget and how fast we have to make the episodes. So, it was a conscious decision to tell those same stories or show that same universe through a different lens and see it from a different angle, and that’s the human angle.”

Contradicted somewhat by this:
“There’s a list of characters that we are allowed to use. Sometimes when we come across others in the comics, we pose that question. If the answer is yes, then we pursue it.”

OK. Which is it? Superheroes or not? If they can use them, which ones? Or, are they supposed to be later surprises. I had a thought they could have a TV on in background with a news report having Iron Man flying off somewhere, or Hulk causing trouble or a Daily Bugle someone reading having a Spider-Man story. These are ways they could touch base with the Marvel Universe on occasion.

They do talk Easter eggs, but I can't think of too many, at least obvious, they have done, if any. If this is what they plan, good. If not, they need to.

They also talk about creating new characters. Why? If they are talking people with powers, why not just draw from the Marvel world instead of getting more convoluted with more characters no one is familiar with? Less is more here. If talking human characters, OK, and it would be logical to have new agents or bureaucratic types, but the hero/villains should be pulled from Marvel's canon, at least to some degree.

There is this too:
“We don’t want people who don’t follow the comics or the films to miss a beat. If there’s something that’s dropped, we want it to be cool on its own. If it isn’t, we want it to at least fill a gap that we need, or just roll past it, so that there’s no one going, 'What are they talking about?'"

Knowing it involves the Marvel universe, the show is lacking a connection in that regard and I think that is what is wrong for those who do follow the comics, or did, and the films, particularly those who are followers of SHIELD and what they do in Marvel's world. Why do a Marvel group of characters if you are not going to Marvel us? That makes no sense. They could just as easily have created a Whedon spy show, which is basically what this is right now, with Marvel and its heroes having nothing to do with it.

Finally - Concerning familiar Whedon faces:
“I feel like, if it’s a Whedon show, not that there’s that expectation, but it’s going to happen.”

There it is, "a Whedon show", not a Marvel one. That may be a big problem here. This would be fine if it were a Whedon original, but taking another creator's project to have a playground for your friend and family acting company is something else.

My feeling is they have little depth of understanding SHIELD from Marvel's history of it and maybe are using the movies as a launching pad for what they think it is. Maybe, too, they do check the comics every now and then.

To be honest, I am liking the show for what it is, as it is getting better and developing but agree with some of the criticisms for what it is not including ones I've made here at times. Based on this interview, it needs to be more about Marvel and less about Whedon. If they go ahead and start incorporating Marvel more into it, all the better, but if it keeps on the way it is, Marvel Comics should step up and have a meeting with all involved, including Loeb, and let them know they should start doing so and let them. I say that not having seen Thor and the tie-in to last episode yet, so...

More +
Nov 22, 2013
I don't even think they have much depth and understanding of what makes a good Whedon show. This is so clearly inferior to anything he's done before.
Nov 22, 2013
If this is a show that those 2 would like and want to watch, that doesn't speak well to their tastes, the show isn't that good.

Smulders' character Maria Hill is from the comics, and at The Hub Victoria Hand is from the comics, that's all I can think of so far though (aside from Nick Fury and the lip service from the movie connections). Interestingly, both Maria Hill and Victoria Hand are characters created in the last decade in the comics, they have less connections and less baggage. Coulson proves that characters don't have to come from the comics to be good, but they do have to come from somewhere with vision and passion.

Seems like the list of characters they can touch are minor villains, heroes, and powerless types - we got Graviton and Scorch as examples, although the latter wasn't chiefly like his comics self.

Only Easter Egg I could even think of was the H.A.M.M.E.R. signage in The Hub. It's actually a big deal if that is an easter egg that leads somewhere, but it felt like it not only wasn't going to, but couldn't if it wanted to due to connections outside the MCU.

Creating new characters means artistic freedom, they can build without worrying about knowing anything about an existing character. It also keeps them from stepping on the movies' toes.

Regarding the "we don't want non-fans to miss a beat" thing, I get where they're coming from, The Avengers movie stood on its own feet without needing to have read any comics, but that movie was really good at getting that feel of that universe right, a universe where superheroes can exist, and so far this show has completely missed that feeling. They should be trying to distill the Marvel sense into a short-form cinematic experience, that's what made Iron Man and Captain America and The Avengers so damned good, and it's really missing from this show.

My biggest criticisms of this show aren't even comics-based though, I just don't feel like it's earning its keep, it's not particularly good, it's not terrible but it's at best middling and at worst mediocre. It's aiming low and simple, written and produced without nearly enough care, and with all the talent behind it and all the promise around it, that's just wasteful.
More +
Nov 22, 2013
Not familiar with Scorch. Watching that episode, all I could think of was the Japanese hero, Sunfire.

The thing with the superhero movies is that it is about the heroes. Here, it's like they are trying to do an Avengers series without the Avengers. Actually, they are doing a SHIELD series without Nick Fury himself, only a brief appearance and a reference or two. It might help to have S.L. Jackson make more regular appearances. If he can do Capital One commercials now, he can do this.
Nov 22, 2013
How the heck did Emile Hirsch manage to look younger in Bonnie and Clyde then he did in the Lords of Dogtown? Great actor...look forward to seeing him in this.
Nov 22, 2013
This has to be the most news in a news brief that I've cared nothing about. Would have been a clean sweep if not for the incredibly stupid Casey Affleck/Scott Caan comparison to Fitz and Simmons, Affleck and Caan were hilarious together in their rivalry, racing a real truck against an R/C truck and the look on their faces when one ran over the other, and the high-speed bickering with attitude. Fitz and Simmons are such a watered down misfire of that, it's like everything on MAoS is watered down by committee-thinking until it's unrecognizable and drab.
Staff
Kinda slow news day...
Nov 23, 2013
Impressive that it could have such an impressive swath of nothing though.
Nov 22, 2013
I still like Fitz and SImmons. They're like these two innocent puppies without a lick of sense. Its kinda adorable
Nov 22, 2013
They are essentially a carbon copy of the techs on NCIS LA, except with even less field ability despite the fact that they operate entirely in the field.