News Briefs: ABC Asks for More Castle

ABC OPENS UP ITS CASKETT

... Castle fans, this one's for you. ABC has asked for an extra episode of the semi-romantic procedural to add to the current season, bringing the total to 24 episodes. The show just aired its thirteenth episode last night, and the bonus episode means one extra paycheck for its stars, one less repeat we'll have to suffer through, and one tiny price hike on the DVD set. [TV Line]

RATINGS FOR THE DOGS AND RATINGS THAT DOGGED IT

... Animal Planet's Puppy Bowl IX set a personal record on Sunday, netting 12.4 million unique viewers over the course of its day-long run. That's up from last year's 8.7 million viewers. The infamous Super Bowl blackout boosted ratings 54 percent as viewers tired of watching Shannon Sharpe argue with himself by taking every possible stance on a subject did some channel-surfing and realized that puppies said more about football than the broadcasters did once their planned coverage was interrupted. [THR]

... Note to self: Don't debut a show the day after the Super Bowl. The hungover and rioting masses did not tune into David E. Kelley's new TNT medical drama Monday Mornings. Only 1.34 million viewers showed up once same-day DVR numbers were factored in. The second episode of Dallas's second season didn't do much better, hitting a series low. [Deadline Hollywood]

BUSINESS TIME

... NBC is rolling out the past and has ordered a pilot for the remake of Ironside, the '60s drama about a police detective who continues to be a badass after he's put in a wheelchair by an on-the-job shooting. The handsome Blair Underwood (The Event) will star. This sounds like a great way to bring in that 18-49 year old demographic! [EW]

... ABC has ordered a multi-camera comedy pilot starring John Leguizamo. The show would be loosely based on Leguizamo's life as a husband and father living in New York. Ooh! I hope they include that time he played Violator the fatso clown in Spawn! [Deadline Hollywood]

... HBO has signed a development deal with George R.R. Martin, author of the "Song of Ice and Fire" novels that Game of Thrones is based on. Martin is also an executive producer of the HBO fantasy drama, and usually writes one episode per season. Disgruntled "Song of Ice and Fire" fan: "He could have used the time he spent signing the contract writing the next book, sheesh!" [Deadline Hollywood]

CASTING NEWS

... Friends co-stars Matthew Perry and Courteney Cox will reunite on NBC's Go On when the latter guest-stars. Cox will play a woman who Anne sets up with Ryan in an April episode. [THR]

... Charles Michael Davis (The Game) has landed a role in The CW's The Originals, the proposed spin-off of The Vampire Diaries. Davis will play Marcel, a vampire protégé of Klaus. The Originals will be introduced as a backdoor pilot in the April 25 episode of The Vampire Diaries. If The CW likes what it sees, it will order The Originals to series for next season. [Deadline Hollywood]

... CBS's summer series Under the Dome, based on the Stephen King novel, has cast True Blood's Aisha Hinds. Hinds, who played Lafayette's weird witch doctor friend in the HBO vampire drama, will play a Los Angeles-based lawyer who gets stuck in the small town of Chester's Mill when a mysterious shield surrounds it, trapping its inhabitants inside. [TV Line]

... Grey's Anatomy's Brooke Smith will pop up on Showtime's Ray Donovan in a recurring role. She'll play a nurse taking care of the title character's ill brother. Ray Donovan, about a Hollywoof "fixer," debuts on June 30. [THR]

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

Hey
As much as I like Go On, I'd much rather see the two of them show up on Episode. They could do something like what the Seinfeld cast did on Curb.
I like that they are bringing Chandler and Monica back together, but Go On is unwatchable so I don't care to see it.
Monica and Chandler together again that will be cool.I'm really hoping for CW to pick The Originals
A Hollywoof fixer, eh?
Game of Thrones :D
Matthew Perry and Courteney Cox together again? I'm hoping for several jokes about Monica and Chandler.
So Excited to see Chandler and Monica Together again Can't wait till that episode airs.
Courtney has been in a couple of reunion or mini-reunion episodes.

On "Cougar Town" it was a GREAT "Scrubs" reunion. Really, about as well as you could hope for... especially the last scene before the credits.

On "Dirt" it was so-so. She and Jennifer Anniston played adversaries and (I think) frenched at one point.
Well deserved Castle (and Castle's fans), well deserved. In the first and even second season I was worried if the show will not continue on due to not too much attention to it. But the series is going on very strong on its light humors side, family drama, team dynamic and suspense.
eventhough i never had a doubt about its success
i'm loving the preent story
I think I'm the only viewer that doesn't enjoy shows reuniting former castmates - I'll always see them as their original team, which interrupts the present show. But everyone else seems to get excited when former castmates reunite.

Most shows don't stuck around long after the main characters finally hooked up. So Castle getting one extra show, makes me wonder if they're making room for a proper finale?

I'm consider watching Under the Dome, since it's CBS, who aren't as quick to cancel shows like NBC & Fox.
The "cancellation" is/was kind of my fear too. Usually when I hear that "Studio/Network asks for 1 or 2 extra episodes" it's because it's the last season and they're going to give a proper series finale.

On the other hand, once or twice it was because they wanted to have a holiday episode to air... but Castle already had their XMas episode this year.
The Puppy Bowl was a disappointment this year. I had it on in the background of doing other things. The stupidest thing was Animal Planet taping puppy cheers from hosts of their other shows and editing them in here and there. One group was from a Bigfoot show and another guy was some hillbilly hunter or something and they were taped standing on location in the woods without any apparent TV or even simulating a Puppy Bowl party of any kind. It actually pushed you out of the show in a way, or ruined the flow of play, because it was so dumb. Then they had hedgehog cheerleaders, which were never on the field with the puppies. Not sure if that was the first time they had them, but it would have been fun seeing the puppy players chase the "cheerleaders". They could probably have saved time and money inserting past Kitty Half Time shows, as I couldn't really tell the difference from those or this year's. Anyone know if they ever tried putting the kittens in with the puppies like two actual opposing teams? I'd like to see that. Next year is the 10th season and they plan a a surprise. Maybe that will be it! I've written too much about this, haven't I?

I am really surprised Dallas is not dong much better. I am liking it, and Larry Hagman is a kick to watch. You can see he's enjoying himself, and doing a fine job, despite his age and apparent frailty. I thought Larry Hagman's death would bring viewers, and Dallas fans of the past in particular, wanting to see his last work and curious to see how he would be written out. Maybe it's just that it's on Mondays with too much competition. SyFy shows are bombing on Mondays.

Courtney Cox is probably more of a publicity stunt to boost ratings, as the show is failing.

Brooke Smith was on Grey's for all of five minutes a long while back. What has she done since? I don't even remember her and had to click the link.
YAY CASTLE!!!!....I haven't been fond of any new/upcoming shows, but I suppose we'll wait and watch the first 5 episodes and then decide but I like Blair Underwood! Also like John Leguizamo...but that kinda sounds like a mistake which means I'll most likely watch and be shocked should it get cancelled.

The Originals...sigh... i hate that this is most likely going to happen. And ppl named Marcel r usually annoying as *expletive*...no offense to anyone whose parents named them that.
What's the "development deal" that HBO struck with George R.R. Martin? They've already got Game of Thrones. Isn't that going to be including the storylines from the whole book series?
Maybe we'll get a show (or series of TV movies) about Dunk & Egg or Robert's Rebellion? Or maybe about some of the other books Martin has written besides ASoIaF.
Puppy Bowl. Hollywoof. Heh.
Hopefully the extra episode of Castle will give a little more focus to the season beyond "their relationship", which hasn't even been all that focused lately.

Who is watching the Puppy Bowl?!? Who are these 12 million people, are we counting flippers who just jump back to the game after Beyonce stops pretending she's singing (not a "lipsyncing" claim, she just barely sang anything, mostly just stomped around and struck poses)?

Note to self: don't debut medical shows in January, Monday Mornings ate it hard, and so did Do No Harm last week.

Blair Underwood cannot carry Ironside, especially Blair Underwood in a wheelchair. But he's just not a mystery-solver type of actor. Oh NBC, you really don't understand anything about making TV anymore.

Oh ABC, you really don't understand anything about making TV anymore (in response to John Leguizamo being given a 3-camera sitcom).

Oh Courtney Cox, you really don't understan... alright, that joke's dead. Cute casting though, but it seems like the Friends cast is always doing this on each other's shows.
Excited for the Matthew Perry and Courteney Cox reunion.
I'm just glad the show hasn't been cancelled! :D
Speaking of backdoor pilots, I miss The Finder and Michael Clarke Duncan.
As much as I generally dislike the procedural element... Nathan Fillion as Castle. The man is funny. And awesome. Is every episode golden? Maybe not. But I haven't seen an episode yet where I didn't laugh out loud at least once because of some ridiculous Nathan Fillion move. Is it "Breaking Bad" (golden drama) or "Arrested Development" (golden comedy (the original 3 seasons, who knows what the Netflix outings will bring))? No. But Lord help me, it's funny. And sometimes just laughing is enough. Nathan Fillion, proof that a man can be equal to his reputation.
I feel like castle has actually gotten better with time. It's had some episodes that strayed from it's norm a great deal that added interest for me. The episode for where they're followed by a film crew is the only that comes immediately to mind but there were others.