News Briefs: ABC Family Sets Return Dates for Bunheads and Pretty Little Liars

TIME TO UPDATE YOUR TEEN-SHOW CALENDAR

... Oh you know you have a Teen-Show Calendar, don't try to pretend you don't. Mine has baby goats on it. ABC Family has announced the return dates for its winter shows, and they start on January 7. And they end on January 8, so that's easy! Look for Season 2 of Switched at Birth and the return of Bunheads to air back-to-back on January 7. The next night, it's the continuation of Season 3 of Pretty Little Liars and the start of The Lying Game's Season 2. Brace yourself, Twitter! [ABC Family via press release]

GOOD NEWS AND ALMOST-GOOD NEWS FOR SHOWS

... Fox has ordered two more episodes each of New Girl and Raising Hope, bringing their season totals to 24 episodes. That matches the recent add-on for The Mindy Project. Ben and Kate, meanwhile, is still stuck at 19 episodes because Fox doesn't love it as much as the other shows. Hey Ben and Kate, sorry to break it to you, but you were adopted. [Deadline Hollywood]

... ABC has ordered two more episodes of Shark Tank. Okay, let's move on. [EW]

... The CW has ordered three more scripts of its new dramas (comedies in disguise, actually) Beauty and the Beast and Emily Owens, M.D. because I'm guessing they ran out of toilet paper? Haha JK LOL, but seriously, neither of these shows are very good. [Deadline Hollywood]

IN DEVELOPMENT NEWS

... Jane Fonda (Barbarella 4ever) has signed on for her first regular series gig, the ABC project Now What?. She'll star as a mother who moves in with her daughter after the daughter writes a blog post titled, "Dear Mom, Here's Why I Hate You." Well doesn't that sound terrible!? [LA Times]

LOTS OF CASTING NEWS

... Showtime's House of Lies has boosted its cast with Lorenz Tate (Menace II Society's O-Dog 4ever) and Nia Long (Third Watch). Tate will play the younger brother to series star Marty (Don Cheadle), and Long will play another consultant and rival to Marty. [THR]

... Annie Wersching (24) will recur on TNT's Dallas reboot. She'll play a "sexy transportation commissioner" which sound like the lamest Halloween costume ever. [TV Line]

... Matt Dallas, star of ABC Family's Kyle XY, is returning to the network to join the cast of Baby Daddy. Here's the description for his character: "typical perfect guy who is rugged but sensitive, dedicated but laid back." That description sounds great but crappy. [THR]

... LOUIS C.K. IS HOSTING THE NOVEMBER 3 EPISODE OF SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE SORRY FOR SHOUTING BUT THIS IS REALLY EXCITING! Musical guest: fun. [NBC via press release]

... Michael J. Fox is returning to The Good Wife to reprise his role as Louis Canning. Look for him in early 2013. [TV Line]

... Good news, bad news here. Bad news first: Titus Welliver will no longer appear opposite Eric Dane in TNT's pilot The Last Ship, a drama about a naval destroyer that survives a nuclear holocaust. Good news: He's being replaced by Adam Baldwin of Chuck and Firefly fame. [Deadline Hollywood]

Jesus this is od, where is te new ino?
Switched, Liars, and Lying are boring. Bunheads is actually cute and fun (as are most small-town shows). I didn't think I'd like it but it's been pretty good (I was behind on season two of Game of Thrones while watching it, so the references were actually more amusing). Baby Daddy isn't bad; Melissa and Joey remains cute and quirky. New Girl is stale and Zooey's novelty wore off a long time ago, while Hope remains to be cute (I find that most of the shows I like are the ones that I expected not to like). Emily Owens is just another boring Grey's Anatomy and Beauty and the Beast is a boring cross between Nikita and any given chick-show. The original was more interesting. Like nearly all of the shows on premium cable (HBO, Showtime, Starz), House of Lies is boring trash that wastes time with gratuitous drugs, swearing, violence, and nudity (DLVS). I dread the end of summer because it means all the worst shows return, the good shows do not, and a whole heap of garbage with the occasional, very rare gem get piled on, thus wasting a massive amount of time.
Screww baby daddy. The only shows worth watching on abc family are PLL, the lying game, and Melissa and Joey. Otther than that everything else sucks. What they should do is take Matt Dallas and the star of baby daddy and bring back Kyle XY to give it a proper finale.
Beauty and the Beast is actually really really god. I love it.
Yah Bunheads and switch at birth will be back Jan 7th. I wish they be back sooner but January is better then next summer.
Staff
Yay, Bunheads! (That's the extent of my thoughtful commentary on this news.)
They want more of Beauty and the Beast, Really. I want less and less of that thing and I only managed to sit through about 5 minutes of it. The CW must not have anything in its back pocket to take the slot of this disaster. This is why they should have kept Secret Circle around as a mid season replacement at the very least.
Does this mean Jane Fonda won't be on The Newsroom anymore?
ehh... it's not like she was a regular. I'm confident that she should be available for minor guest starring still.
I'm happy to hear Emily Owens M.D. is getting more episodes. I like this show.
ADAM BALDWIN, FTW!!! I hope that show gets to have a run, it sounds interesting.
And Emily Owens is such a cute show so far. It pairs well with Hart of Dixie!
Pretty little liars was so great tonight. I'm so surprised on how great it was, honestly. I love the show dearly, I DO, but it can sometimes drag. But not tonight's episode! Holy shiz, I loved it and I for one can't wait till January for it to return along with bunheads!
Menace II Society: When Jada Pinkett still had flattering hair. And yeah, Lorenz Tate is awesome, as is House of Lies.
All I heard was Louis CK on SNL. Can't wait!
HOW ARE THESE SHOWS SURVIVING?!

Beauty and the Beast, Guys with Kids and The Mob Doctor should never have been made in the first place (am I right TSC fans?). And not only do these shows annoyingly exist, but they also refuse to have the good grace of quickly disappearing so we can all start forgetting that fact. Not to mention the Dead Pool ramifications of their continued survival (die Mob Doctor. Just DIE!).

Usually the bad does get weeded out (with scripted television, anyway), but every year it seems another "Whitney" slips through the cracks and Satan laughs his ass off (Lucifer loves horrible sitcoms with laughs tracks. And Singing Competition shows .... That guy is a real dick). It appears the standard of what pilots get picked up and made into a show has dipped in recent years. How else can you possibly explain Men at Work?

*Shudder*

So, what will this years "Whitney" be? And how many Dead Pools will it completely screw over? Only God's Dead Pool knows. All I know is Kristen Kreuk playing a hard-nosed detective is even more preposterous than The Mob Doctor's premise. Seriously, how are these shows surviving?!
I think the problem here is that you're trying to inject logic into this situation, a concept apparently so foreign to TV producers that you might as well send them hunting for unicorns, because the results will be the same.

In unrelated news, as of the posting of this comment, the CW has begun development on a new supernatural drama entitled "Unicorn Hunters".
I agree with you entirely. For one thing, Secret Circle should have at least been given a mid season replacement status so it could have been used to make up for shows that failed like Beauty and the Beast is in abundance.

Beauty and the Beast had potential to be good if only they had stuck with the original premise of actually having a beast (rather than a guy with a hulk complex) and recast it with people who can act.

To this day I cannot believe that Whitney made it to a second season. Sure, she is not that bad to look at but the acting and story is horrible. Mob Doctor was a stupid premise from the beginning and Fox only put it on the air to fill the medical drama gap left by House. Meanwhile a show like Lie to Me gets cancelled.
NBC should cancel Guys with Kids and Whitney and uncancel Animal Practice and pair it with Community.
I think the only reason Matt Dallas got on Baby Daddy is because he has a connection: his Kyle XY co-star is the lead guy. I now know how Hollywood works.