News Briefs: Alcatraz Earns the Season's Second-Highest Ratings for a New Drama

RATINGS

... Alcatraz premiered to great ratings last night, notching a 3.3 rating in the adult demo for its two-hour premiere. That made it the second-most popular new drama premiere of the season, tying with Revenge but behind Once Upon a Time's super-impressive 3.9. Alcatraz also bested Terra Nova's debut (3.1), making Fox's impending decision regarding Terra Nova's future that much easier. [TV By the Numbers]

... Napoleon Dynamite also debuted over the weekend and really benefited from having the late NFL game and its 40 million viewers as a lead-in. The Fox animated series aired two new episodes, one at 8:30pm and one at 9:30pm, and they grabbed 9.51 million viewers (4.6 rating) and 7.15 million viewers (3.6), respectively. Sweet. But can the show maintain that pace? [TV By the Numbers]

RENEWALS, CANCELLATIONS, AND SUPERSIZINGS

... The BBC has confirmed that Sherlock will return for a third season. In related news, the Sherlock Holmes movies will continue being pumped out as long as people pay to see them. [Daily Mail]

... Oxygen has renewed reality competition series/Glee farm system The Glee Project for a second season. My dreams of joining the program are still alive! [Deadline Hollywood]

... TLC has canceled its reality show Hook, Line & Sisters, about a fishing family with two hot daughters. [Alaska Dispatch]

... AMC says the third season of The Walking Dead will consist of 16 episodes, up from the 13 planned for Season 2. Great! That means three extra episodes' worth of the survivors debating about looking for someone! Haha, just kidding TWD fans. Also, Mad Men will premiere with a two-hour episode. That means 60 extra minutes of trying to stay awake. Haha, I'm not kidding Mad Men fans. [Deadline Hollywood]

... Syfy is really ramping up the episode count for its hit Warehouse 13. The network has requested seven additional episodes for Season 4, bringing the count up to 20. [Deadline Hollywood]

DEVELOPMENT DEALS

... NBC has picked up three more pilots: The Frontier follows pioneers as they head West in 1840, Midnight Sun is a mystery about missing members of a commune in Alaska, and Do No Harm is a medical drama about a surgeon who battles with an alter-ego. All of them will be canceled by their second episode. Sorry, I couldn't resist. [Deadline Hollywood]

... ABC has ordered a pilot for Gilded Lillys, a period piece set in 1895. Shonda Rhimes, the creator of Grey's Anatomy and half of ABC's other shows, will executive produce. The drama will be set in New York City's first luxury hotel. [Deadline Hollywood]

... CBS has ordered pilots for two new potential shows. Baby Big Shot is a legal drama about a street-wise woman. Elementary is described as a modern-day take on Sherlock Holmes. "That's great, because I really don't have enough Sherlock Holmes in my life right now," I say while sitting in my Sherlock Holmes Snuggie and sipping milk from my Sherlock Holmes Big Gulp cup. [Deadline Hollywood]

... Some dumb Canadians are trying to make a TV show out of the viral video sensation The Honey Badger. I want to make something clear: Not all Canadians are stupid, just these guys. [THR]

... Hey guys! Here's the news you've been for! Lifetime is working on a Dance Moms spin-off called Dance Moms: Miami! [Deadline Hollywood]

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

Finally AMC does something in regards to TWD that doesn't piss me off! About damn time, i was hoping to read they'd also fired all of their writers from season two and sent them back to middle school.
Gret Job TIM!!! Now I can almost understand your Canadian comment stemming from a lack of sleep(do you have a staffer that sleeps FOR you?), but when da Canadian/merican war breaks out eh, I'll be watching for the headline of your demise by Arch_Angel placing you in the chair, eyelids taped open, and the dvr set for ohhhh let's say some REAL american pie!! The KARDASHIAN'S !!!
I love that Warehouse 13 will have a longer season and that Sherlock gets a third season! My inner-geek is dancing a jig, right now.
ND was simply boring and unfunny! Who gets excited over vanilla like this???
Glad to hear Warehouse 13 gets more time to be entertaining. Maybe it's Syfy realizing they don't actually have any shows left that aren't unwatchable reality shows, and certainly don't have any sci-fi, so they figured they'd throw more fake sci-fi at us. At least W13 is entertaining fake sci-fi.
TLC makes a show about a fishing family with 2 hot daughters and no comment. But because somethings done by Canadians THERE dumb! Are you freaking kidding?
You should probably use the gramatically correct, "THEY'RE" in this instance, to avoid looking dumb, yourself.
*grammatically*
Glad to see such good numbers for Alcatraz. I hope it sticks around a while.

Extra Walking Dead, Mad Men, and Warehouse 13 is always a good thing!
Wow, Tim....not all Canadians are stupid...thanks for that. You're the best.

The Honey Badger is at least funny unlike, say, 2 Broke Girls and Whitney created by...wait, what? Americans!
ugh there's just no creativity in the world of tv anymore. And when a show is creative, it gets cancelled. Gilded Lillys sounds like Melrose Place but in a hotel with moth-eaten outfits and chamber pots. And enough with the medical dramas and the crime procedurals already! (rant over)
Oh Tim, you're really rating the recent flaws of The Walking Dead above the strengths of Mad Men? That kind of humour could only be called absurdist. Before you try out for (or use your considerable influence) the Glee Project, why not tell us what kind of cameo/recurring/new lead singing character you'd like to play on Glee next season. We can all live your dream!
Am glad Sherlock will have return!.. I NEED ANSWERS!

How did he fake his hown death? we saw him jump! we saw "his" body, Watson recorgnized his pancaked dead body!!..

Oh well, the theories on how he did it will keep me till the third series/season start!!
The Tardis caught him halfway down? Sorry, i couldn't resist...
well Watson actually didn't get a good look-people were crowding him out.

I'm guessing Molly hooked Sherlock up with a cadaver (we never found out how she helped him-I assume it's related to his faked death).

Yepp, Molly is involved. For the recognition and death certificate - the body on the pavement landed on his face - so could have been Moriarty.

BUT HOW DID HE FAKE THE JUMP ? It was him on the roof, Watson watched all the time ... I hope they got a good explanation!
Oh thank goodness for Sherlock. The ending of this season was amazing. It must continue. Benedict and Martin are on the cusp of blowing up HUGE, so I'm very glad they'll be back. Downey Jr is NOT my Sherlock.
my neither
I'm really happy to see that Sherlock (the BBC version, not the crappy Hollywood-movies) will be back. I wasn't surprised (it had great ratings, after all) and for everyone who read the books, we already knew The Reichenbach Fall wasn't his last case.

On another note: Do No Harm sounds like Dr. Jackyll and Mr. Hyde, I'm glad someone else thinks Mad Men is boring as hell and why does Syfy increase the quantity of Warehouse 13 when they could have used the money to improve the quality instead?
I'm so freaking ecstatic hearing that Sherlock is going ahead with season 3. Its one of the best shows ever. Well, I will be watching The Frontier and Elementary (as long as it matches the British 'Sherlock's quality), one can never have too much Sherlock Holmes, just saying. And I love westerns.

I liked Alcatraz and its sci-fi conspiracy, but nothing has hooked me even after two episodes, except that the villains are far more interesting than the main protagonists, which might not work well for the show. But I hope it makes it to season 2 as it has lots of potential.
Um, why have I not heard of Hook, Line & Sisters earlier? The Frontier and Midnight Sun sound interesting, so I'm not going to bother getting too invested in those NBC shows. And I looove Honey Badger, but don't see it really going anywhere.
FOX's animation block benefited from the game. Simpson's had 15.5 million people when it barely breaks 5 and Family Guy had 8.5. In normal viewing Napoleon would likely get half what it did at best. For that reason, this week's ratings shouldn't count as anything normal.
I was interested in Gilded Lillys until I read Shonda Rhimes is involved.
Thank you for clearing that up, Tim! I would also like to make something clear: Not all Americans are stupid, just the creators of Work It . . . and the ABC execs who greenlighted the show . . . and anybody who actually liked it. I'm glad we cleared that up!

Some may label me just another stupid Canadian after reading this, but I actually enjoyed the premier of Terra Nova MORE than Alcatraz. Now before you compare me to the Honey Badger guys, I'm not saying Terra Nova is a good show (far from it), but at least we could all laugh at its ridiculousness. Alcatraz IS pretty ridiculous, but I'm not laughing.

First NBC decides to make a vampire show (about 5 years after they became cool again), and now they're making a Western (after the resurgence of the genre due to Hell on Wheels). Next thing you know they'll try a Zombie show, too (oh wait, Fox is already).
what what what NBC and a vampire show ? Fox and a zombie show ? They are so desperate ...

Tip of the hat from me for saying the thing about TN and Alcatraz - you are right, TN was amusing if anything while Alcatraz was boring if anything.
In your list of stupid Americans, I believe you left out a key group: NBC executives.

NBC jokes will never get old, haha.
Canadians make ONE bad show idea and you jump all over us. How many could we count this year alone that Y'all Americans made. :-) At least we make it all better by lending you hot leading ladies. Oh and Vancouver to film like every show on tv..
Agreed. But, I'm pretty sure 'Arch_Angel88' is Canadian, your comment is directed at the wrong person.
Yeah, I'm not sure how Curly could think I'm American after reading my comment.
It wasnt directed at you just agreed with you so put it under your comment as a reply.
I totally agree that Alcatraz was disappointing. Not a single one of those characters is interesting and the whole thing kind of feels like Lost 2.0, but without all the people I liked. Also, this may sound shallow, but I don't want to watch a fat dope and a somewhat dim woman traipse around pretending they have on screen chemistry as partners when it's really painful to watch them work together. I'm not even sure I see what the big deal is about the people returning. Just arrest 'em for the crimes they commit now and say, "wow, you look like a guy from Alcatraz, what a huge coincidence. Oh well, off to jail with you." It's not like it would really matter whether they were in jail now or in 1963. And if they're actually some sort of conspiracy, I still don't see what sort of threat they would pose that would require a secret organization to track them down. They're still just a load of criminals from the 60s. Who cares what they're doing? Again, just arrest them.
you dont get anything about the concept of cop procedurals, do you? "what is the big deal about people returning?" really? I guess you keep on finding people in your neighbourhood that look like exactly how they were 50 years ago, geez, nothing interesting in there..
Well that was no surprise about Alcatraz. I mean look at what Rob brought in. There is always a have to see contingent. Whether that will be maintained, I am thinking no. Same with Napoleon Dynamite I am not sure it will have a lasting appeal. I really need to watch the movie in order to see if the jokes and stuff make better sense.

Just finished tThe Reichenbach Fall and it was freaking brilliant. I wish american tv could be that good. Though saying that Justified starts again tonight. Which makes me happy. And I wish they would stop making the movies. Or at least switch over to Sherlock and make those into movies and at an hour and a half it basically is.

AMC, as long as it isn't 3 episodes of waiting at a farm or a gas station or wherever they want to stick them for too long. I am ok with it. Another half of a season waiting around for a zombie and needlessly risking Glen's life. Or increasing what lori has to say. And if they poorly adjust to the baby. I am done. Bring on the Zombieland show.

Syfy, love Warehouse 13. Bring back Eureka though. Aholes.

And wow I am shocked that all of the NBC shows sound horrible. This shocks me because all of them sound better than The Firm and Are you there Chelsea but still sound horrible. Just showing you how NBC is still committed to last place. You really have to give it to them for consistency. Yup Consistently crappy shows.

And CBS, NO, bad CBS, We have Sherlock and that is all we need. Now if you can bring this Elementary to fruition with the same quality of Sherlock every week then I am all for it. However you are going to have to do equally if not better than Benedict Cumberbatch in order to do so. So that means it can't be any american actor. And I mean at all. None of their usual people will be good enough. So it is all going to reside on who they choose. I have read all of Conan Doyle's stories and the only one that comes close is Sherlock.

Alcatraz left me cold, after all the hype. I wish they will stop using big name exec producers in their adverts to get me to watch stuff. The female lead is trying too hard and is badly(poorly) cast . The police consultant on the show should be fired he has poor grasp of police procedure. sigh
Happy to see Syfy order more episodes of Warehouse 13...I just wish they would change their mind about cancelling Eureka.
Sherlock is f'ing brilliant. Can't wait for season 3.
The honey badger doesnt give a shit