News Briefs: AMC and Seth Rogen Are Adapting the Comic Series Preacher

THIS IS THE BEGINNING

... AMC and Sony Pictures Television have decided to make at least a few dreams come true today by announcing that they've reached an agreement to bring Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon's twisted '90s comic book series Preacher to life as a drama written and executive-produced by Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg (This Is the End). The story follows Reverend Jesse Custer, a preacher from Texas who's lost his faith after learning God has left heaven and is shirking all his responsibilities. Custer takes it upon himself to track Him down and set things straight (hey, so that's where the good idea for a Supernatural spin-off went). Breaking Bad's Sam Catlin will round out the main creative team as executive producer and showrunner. [AMC via press release]

BUSINESS TIME

... If you're looking to catch up on The Americans—FX's excellent drama about Russian wig aficionados trying to make it in America—before Season 2 premieres on February 26, Amazon has just secured exclusive online rights to the series. The company also recently acquired the rights to stream HannibalVeronica Mars, and Downton Abbey in their war against the big bad Netflix, which means I'm currently doing the math to figure out if I can afford another subscription service and still feed myself. [Variety]

... TLC has ordered 35 new episodes of Sex Sent Me to the ER, which premiered on December 28, 2013 as a four-part series. The network has been airing encores on Saturdays at 10pm, and they've been averaging 1.9 million viewers. Guys, I think you're doing it wrong. [TLC via press release]

... Sherlock may soon be getting the Lego treatment in the wake of a fan proposal that's amassed 10,000 supporters. The company regularly reviews such ideas, and is officially considering the production a Sherlock set as one of six finalists in its winter 2014 development cycle. That's one Lego I probably wouldn't mind stepping on, but wouldn't step on because it's too cute. Well, as cute as any Lego can be, I guess. [THR]

... Lifetime has given a 10-episode series order to Un-Real, an hour-long pilot from Marti Noxon (Buffy the Vampire SlayerPrivate Practice) starring Shiri Appleby (Life Unexpected). The dark comedy was inspired by Sarah Gertrude Shapiro’s short film Sequin Raze, and explores the behind-the-scenes chaos at a reality dating series. Appleby plays Rachel, a young woman whose job is to manipulate the contestants in order to get the ridiculous footage her producer (Rules of Engagement's Megyn Pricewants. [Deadline]

CASTING NEWS

... Now that The Michael J. Fox Show is a rotting corpse in the graveyard of failed TV sitcoms, Michael J. Fox is free to return to The Good Wife. So it's good news that he's coincidentally just signed a deal to reprise his role as Louis Canning for several episodes this season.  [TV Line]

... The Walking Dead's Lauren Cohan, who is also The Vampire Diarie's Lauren Cohan and Chuck's Lauren Cohan, is lending her voice to FX's Archer for multiple episodes. She'll play Juliana Calderon, the wife of a Central American dictator voiced by Fred Armisen. Juliana is a described as a socialite who is used to getting whatever she wants, and apparently what she wants now is Archer. Cohan's first episode is slated to air Monday, March 31. [EW]

... Happy Endings' Zachary Knighton has just signed on to star in Fox's new pilot Weird Loners, a single-camera comedy from Michael Weithorn (King of Queens). The show follows four people who are afraid of relationships and who unexpectedly end up living together in a townhouse in Queens. Knighton will play Stosh Lewandowski, because someone involved in the show apparently has some unresolved Veronica Mars feelings. Stosh is a sales rep and a womanizer, and he's basically homeless. But wait, there's more! Knighton is also set to guest-star on NBC's Parenthood as Evan Knight, a teacher at the school Kristina founded. He's also a potential love interest for Erika Christensen's Julia. And to that I say: BOOOOOO. BOOOO, EVAN KNIGHT. [TV Line]

... Jay Baruchel is returning to TV in Man Seeking Woman, a new FX comedy pilot that's based on Simon Rich's book The Last Girlfriend on Earth. He'll play Josh Greenberg, a romantic dude who reenters the dating scene after his girlfriend dumps him, only to find that it's basically hell. Rich, a writer on Saturday Night Live, penned the script, and is producing alongside Lorne Michaels. [THR]

... Kimberly Williams-Paisley, who just ended her arc as a big pregnancy faker on Nashville, will soon be appearing in a multi-episode role on Two and a Half Men. She'll play Gretchen, a new love interest for Jon Cryer's Alan. Look for her first appearance on Thursday, March 6. [Deadline]

... Scandal is introducing Fitz and Mellie's children, Jerry and Karen, in the second half of Season 3, and the probably highly sought-after roles have gone Dylan Minnette (Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.) and Madeline Carroll (Grey's Anatomy). Good for them. [TV Line]

... Right on the heels of casting The Original's Daniella Pineda's yesterday, NBC's new drama pilot Odyssey has added Peter Facinelli (Nurse Jackie). He'll play Peter, a disillusioned corporate attorney who's now working in business intelligence and ends up getting pulled into an international military conspiracy. [THR]

"TRUST ME, I'M A DOCTOR AND I WATCHED HOUSE" NEWS

... A German doctor was immediately able to identify a mysterious illness after realizing he'd seen something similar on an episode of House. Every time I tell people I know something because of television they tell me I need to get a real job. Well, jokes on you, jokey jokers, because I'm going to go re-watch all of House and start saving lives on the reg. Booyah! [EW]

Sweet, didn't realize that Hannibal was on Prime. I need another serial killer show in my life after finishing up Dexter. And by that I mean, limping through season 7 all while regretting every minute of it. Seriously between Hannah, Louis, Quinn, and a completely altered characterization of Dexter, season 7 was a joyless experience and I'm not even going to attempt 8. For me, Dexter ended at the close of season 5 with his musing about whether or not he could ever truly leave behind the darkness. Cause sometimes an ambiguous ending is the best ending. Especially when the show is all about ambiguous morals.

But anyway, I really digressed there. I'm gonna go watch me some Hannibal now :)
I really wished the Kings would just signed up M J Fox as a main cast or at least recurring guest star and expand the role Louis Canning. He did the job really well and would really be a wonderful addition to TGW ! I will watch preacher and Un-real.
I'll give preacher a try
I was thinking that anyone who'd attempt Preacher would turn it into garbage, but with Seth Rogan...it only might be garbage. I wish it luck. If he pulls this off, maybe his next trick could be making a Street Fighter movie--nah; nobody could do that...
Why is Seth Rogen a good thing? I only know him as an actor that I don't like.
Yeah, I don't love him either, but he seems like just enough nerd to actually get Preacher, and hopefully he's just enough of a guy to keep in as much crassness and dickishness as AMC will alllow. He's usually good at that, at least. At the very least, he's pretty smart, so I can hope that he took this on to not suck at it like pretty much anyone else would. He only gets a 'might.'
Preacher sounds like a good idea and could be entertaining I guess.

Un-Real sounds like it could be fun.

Weird Loners sounds lame, another sitcom with slutty people having a new date in each episode, but afraid to settle down or something. I expect a lot of unfunny and unoriginal sex jokes.
The comic may be ok. Not familiar with it but if it has writing with 'realistic' swearing and nipples they're gonna be absent on AMC. The latter I'm not so bothered about (mine are redundant, well mostly) but unrealistic toned down language in crises bugs me for 'mature audience' / cable shows ala The Walking Dead.
More MJF in TGW should prove more of a treat.
All the new comedy and dramedy show announcements tend to just make me roll my eyes back like an attacking shark, wishing to clear the lot. Why don't the exec's just higher teams of stand up comics for writers, as they're all situational these days?
I don't remember if there are nipples in the comic (I'm thinking probably not), but there's stuff like this:

I think it's more difficult to avoid showing nipples in a TV show than in a comic book. I mean, more difficult to avoid it without making it look ridiculous.

I'm pretty sure that they can say "fuck" on AMC, but I still doubt that AMC is the right place for this. I think they will be too cautious.
IIRC 'Hank' off've Breaking Bad said in interview they were only allowed may be 2 "Fucks" an episode before it got 'silented' out.
That page (and thanks for taking the time) makes it look more like it'd fit on Showtime or even Starz better - what with all the male butt on display. Though I'm guessing it's also not the violence you're concerned over but, more importantly, the overall tone and nuance of the comic that'll get lost.
Maggie on Archer!?! Oh I can not WAIT! Wow... my kindle automatically capitalized "wait", how did it know?? Did I Swype all frantically and hard?
amazon competing with netflix makes me regret buying things through them and yahoo similarly doing the same with SNL makes me regret using them for news and as a search engine. eff em both.

who was lauren cohan on chuck?

happy endings' Dave was the best (virtually everyone else became obnoxious caricatures) but I don't look forward to seeing him as a jerk or as an obstacle between joel and julia. will give his new show a chance though none the less.

I'll give anything with Jay Baruchel a chance. just not actually seen him in a show so not sure how that will go...
"who was lauren cohan on chuck?"

The daughter of the big bad played by Timothy Dalton. She appeared to be some innocent nobody at first, but after a while she had taken over the evil company and was doing evil things with it.
thanks. I honestly couldn't remember. I might have been burning out on the series big time by that point. still watching it though. I do now recall the character for sure. at least Timmy D was a plus at that point
I thought that they decided to do Preacher months ago.

I still kind of hope that this will fail at the pilot stage, because I love the Preacher story, and I don't expect them to be able to do it well. It's going to be extremely hard just to find the right actors. I think Christophe Waltz would be a very good Starr, if he's available and willing. I also think Michael Rosenbaum would be great 15 years from now. I'm sure that there are several people who could do Tulip or Cassidy well enough. But I can't think of anyone that I would like to see as Jesse Custer or The Saint of Killers.

It's funny that people have tried at least three times to make a Preacher movie, and every time, the fans have hated the idea, and the project has eventually been abandoned. It really doesn't work as a movie. This needs to be a TV show.

There are a few good things about AMC: They have other shows (e.g. BB and TWD) that have a pace and tone that's similar to what this show needs. You absolutely can't make this into a show with the pace and tone of Arrow. That would make me vomit. Another good thing about AMC is that an episode there feels like it's made without commercial breaks in mind, rather than as a collection of separate blocks made to fit between commercial breaks.

There isn't a lot of sex scenes in Preacher, but there is some sexual content. Starr's bizzarro sex with prostitutes and the party at Jesus de Sade's place absolutely have to be included*. I doubt that AMC is really willing to do this sort of thing. They don't even show boobs, do they? There should definitely be boobs in this show.
This site has some interesting suggestions for the cast (of a Preacher movie...which shouldn't be encouraged, because that's an awful idea): http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/CBMAssassin/news/?a=22111

I don't doubt that Daniel Day Lewis would make a good Starr, and I have actually considered Sean Patrick Flannery as Cassidy. Guy Pearce is however far too old to play Jesse.

I have to say "absolutely not" to Lennie James as Hoover. This should be an unknown, someone who doesn't stand out as much as LJ would (LJ's voice and way of talking is far to distinct), someone who can play a shy wimp without too much effort.

Sam Elliot as The Saint of Killers is an interesting choice. I don't know if it's a good one, but it's interesting. What do you guys think?
You forgot supernaturals Lauren cohan
now that justified is ending, walton goggins for jesse custer, maybe.
Shouldn't it be someone younger and prettier?
I watched "The Americans" on HULU last year. So I am not happy about this Amazon news.
Preacher will never get made unless its on HBO, SHOWTIME or STARZ. AMC is too wholesome and they can't deliver the shock and awe of Preacher.

Religious fanatics will eat the show alive and kill it
Come on, Denmark, please stop trying to make Legos into anything more than the classic toys they were (and still are).
Be still my heart. Please, please, please do not screw up Preacher!
Un-Real actually sounds like fun.
I really like Shiri Appleby, so I will check out her pilot.
Ugh, it might be an unpopular stand but I really liked my Good Wife without Canning. That's the only reason I hoped his sitcom would last.
forget House, shouldn't a doctor be able to (nearly) immediately identify an illness because THEY'RE A DOCTOR? seriously...

am I the only one who isn't taking Preacher seriously since Seth Rogen and guy who did This Is The End are behind it? kind of makes me less interested in the show in general.

no thanks to that Lifetime show. are we really to the point where we have a scripted show about what happens behind the scenes of a reality show?

on a sort of related note, the Julia/Joel storyline of Parenthood is totally cliche and horrible and they need to rectify it ASAP.

when I read the Scandal news, I noticed the Agents of SHIELD mention first and then saw Fitz so I had no idea what was going on at first lol
There are varying degrees of doctors out there in the real world. Not all of them are geniuses.

My stepfather, who is a doctor, also liked to point out that it's always said doctors "practice" medicine, because no one has mastered it.
My father was an attorney, and he used to say the same thing about lawyers practicing law...
EXCUSE ME!
She's Supernatural's Lauren Cohan!
I'm kind of worried that it's Seth Rogen that's exec producing Preacher. His movies/ tv shows usually lack depth and almost never have a cohesive story structure. His only other adaptation is "the Green Hornet" and we all know how that did. He does fine for comedies, but I don't think he is the best choice for this.
I'm hoping he's not in it. He should not
Seth Rogen, well that ruins it entirely. I think Rogen is funny, but he really doesn't show the range or sensibilities to bring something like Preacher to the screen.

Also, Yay to the return of Michael J Fox to The Good Wife!
Lego Sherlock looks cool.

For a moment there I've read Weird Boners instead of Weird Loners. :)) I'm glad to see that the actors from Happy Endings have found other gigs, although some of the projects don't sound ok.
Preacher!?!? Really?!?! I'm multiple orgasming right now.. If they do it right... It will be the best thing ever.. Highly recommend everyone to read this comic!
Yeah, good plan, get your hopes up really high, that won't end in routine disappointment at all. It's not like EVERY OTHER COMIC BOOK ADAPTATION EVER hasn't come up short or anything, even the best ones.
I still have dreadful nightmares because of Joseph Gordon Levitt attempting an adaption of Sandman. I hope so much the project will die...
Wow! Now I'm depressed. As if the mention of Rogan wasn't enough!
I'm going to have to watch House again to cheer me up.
Oh, ps, not trying to douche you there, just trying to toughen you up because it will likely suck, and if it doesn't suck it'll likely get quick-canceled (The Dresden Files wasn't even a note-perfect adaptation but it was fun and killed for that).
It doesn't work as a movie. But as a show? Yes! And it's in the right network, AMC. Walking Dead isn't as good as the comic, but it can be really good.. They did Sin City and 300 from comics and i truly loved it. Yeah maybe it sucks, but you gotta have hope in life!
This one is a biiiiig stretch though, it's got to find an audience, be good, be true, be compromised enough to work on tv, and stick around to tell a drawn-out story - that's asking a lot. I hope it works out for you, but to me this is maybe twice as likely to work as NBC's Constantine, which is to say, very very unlikely.
AHAHA! Lego sherlock would be so cool, I really hope it happens
Who was it that posted a while back about Preacher being a great idea for a show? I thought it was going to be a show then found out it wasn't and was disappointed but now I am happy since it will be a show. I haven't read the comics but the story sounds great. I think it was Marburg66 or Grumpclown or someone. I don't know why this is bugging me but someone brought this up a while back (who was it) and I'm thrilled "their" idea for a show is going to be made. It sounds great.
Maybe me? I know we have talked about Preacher before.
I suggested Preacher and Modesty Blaise as two comic books that could be very good TV shows, if done right. But I think I also mentioned that it would be pretty hard to do them right, especially Preacher.

This was a month after tv.com reported that Preacher may be coming to AMC, and years after it was very close to becoming an HBO show, so my suggestion wasn't exactly an original idea.
it may not of been your idea but you were the one I was thinking of when asking who posted about Preacher;-)
Yes!! I was you;-) I remember the article also mentioned Modesty Blaise and I think some others where mentioned. Preacher sounded really interesting.
You know when something is at the tip of your tongue but you can't remember it and then later you remember....well, that's kind of what happened here but I didn't remember so Thank You!
@Vicky8675309 (or who ever you claim to be) yeah I guessed that, but it's not quite as funny!
lol @TrevPlatt
It was supposed to be "It was you!"...lol;-)
That's what I was remembering too... forget the drivel I posted below, I can remember the original post now, my introduction to Preacher, it sounded (still sounds) awesome.

Also, "I was you;-)" does @tnetnnba realise you stole his identity? Yeah, I've heard about you Texans! ;)
Are you maybe thinking of News Briefs from back in November?
I was thinking the same as you until I started looking into it, then I found that old news briefs and now I'm not so sure.

It's still a cool idea though - but Seth Rogen? I'm never too sure when it comes to him.
is there pot smoking in Preacher? lol
The movies of Rogen that I watched were enjoyable. However I skipped many of his movies because the plot didn't interest me.
I liked Pineapple Express and This is the End...there are probably a few others but I'm drawing a blank
He is, for want of a better term, a bit bi-polar, not in the literal sense, but his work is either great or it's crappy clichés, hopefully he'll bring his serious side for this one.
WTH, Kaitlin? You left a significantly huge plot point out on the Preacher premise. That whole part about him being possessed by Genesis, the hybrid offspring of an angel and demon that upsets all of creation? Or the fun part about his best friend being a hilarious Irish vampire would have been a good thing to mention too. Not everything has to be another outlet for everyone's dismay over the Supernatural spinoff!
Green Hornet's Seth Rogan?

Those Legos look nothing like Jonny Lee Miller or Lucy Liu.
They look Stephen Mangan and Tamsin Greig.

I on one hand think TV Shows is a great source to gather knowledge! Not to take everything serious without of course double checking but no matter.
I was excited to see Zachary Knighton's name and Parenthood together because I really miss Happy Endings. But damn, I don't want to hate him and the only outcome that is acceptable is Joel and Julia living happily ever after.
I'm up for the Preacher series.This could be another show to get addicted to if they do it justice and stick to the comic book!Can't wait to hear more about this.
REALLY want to see if they cast the Saint!
If Saint of Killers is not in the series,there is no show for me!But I think the producers will stick to the source material with some tweaking to fit a cinematic world,like they're already doing on The Walking Dead.
How could he not be? He may not be a "huge part of the story" as Sanity_Bleeds put it, in terms of the number of pages he appears on, but I would say that he's hugely important to the story. Not just because of you-know-what, but because of several important appearances he made before that.

I think the saint of killers is very hard to cast. I've been thinking about it for 15 years or so. Every single time I've see an American actor in his 50s, I have asked myself if he would be a good saint of killers, and the answer has always been no. The least awful choice I can think of right now is Todd's uncle from Breaking Bad. But maybe there's someone who's unknown to me who would do a great job.
The Saint isn't a huge part of the story overall, but he is a HUGE part of the finale, the part that has made it virtually impossible to get this series into production thus far.
As long as the producers official confirm that The Saint WILL be used in the series,then I'll be happy!Need to hear more about the producers plans for the show and see where they're going with it!
While there is no way AMC will be able to include all the stuff covered in the Preacher comics, if it does go to series it will be huge in scale. And it would be a dream come true for me.

On the flip side if they screw it up, it'll be a nightmare for me
I was praying HBO would have been the one to make it. I loved Preacher! I'm worried about screwing it up, abd I hope Seth didn't screw it
HBO would be most fans choice, but AMC might be good. I much prefer them to Showtime getting it
Oh the pitfalls of anticipation!

What's your reaction to Seth Rogen being attached to the project?
Unless he casts himself in one of the main roles, I dont have a problem - he would be suited as one of the lesser angels though
I've never read the actual comics, but Rogen always gives me pause because I never know which side of him is going to be involved - the funny, conscientious professional or the trying-to-recapture-his-youth, impulsive wrecking ball. Let's hope he's on song for this one.
I don't think anyone has a Veronica Mars hang up. Stosh is a common nickname for Stanislaw and it only makes sense that someone named Stosh would have a Polish last name.
"Knighton is also set to guest-star on NBC's Parenthood as Evan Knight, a teacher at the school Kristina founded. He's also a potential love interest for Erika Christensen's Julia."

The problem with casting news these days? They come with a whole bunch of spoilers. So Kristina and Adam are actually going to go ahead with the preposterous idea of setting up a school - they had only just begun to speculate about it in the most recent episode. And still more Julia and Joel heartbreak. *Sobs*
Must have Lego Sherlock..... Must have Lego Sherlock....
That Lego hair is amazing.