News Briefs: AMC Is Mulling a Breaking Bad Spinoff Starring Saul Goodman

BETTER CALL SAUL NEWS

... Well, I had hoped for a Walt Jr. spinoff featuring the young White cruising across the country in his illegally purchased sports car and blogging about breakfasts, but this will have to do. AMC is reportedly thinking about spinning off Breaking Bad, with wheeling-and-dealing scummy lawyer Saul Goodman (played by the excellent Bob Odenkirk) at the center. The show would be a comedy, and potentially run an hour long. Apparently Breaking Bad creator Vince Gilligan and writer Peter Gould are behind the project (good sign!), and they've been thinking about it for some time now. The idea has been met with skepticism according to my Twitter feed, but count me in as interested because I love Bob Odenkirk and if Saul brings Huell along with him, this could be fun. Would you rather have another docu-drama reality show from AMC instead? [Deadline Hollywood]

RATINGS! BASKETBALL VS. DANCING! AD GUYS AGAINST FANTASY STUDS!

... Last night's championship game of the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament between the Louisville Cardinals and the Michigan Wolverines was up 12-percent over last year, averaging 23.4 million viewers and hitting a 7.5 among adults. The game hurt ABC's Dancing With the Stars, which posted its worst ratings for a performance show ever (a 2.0 rating among adults). Next up for ABC: Playing Basketball With the Stars! [New York Times / Deadline Hollywood]

... The second episode of Game of Thrones' third season and the Season 6 premiere of Mad Men went head to head on Sunday, and it was bad news for Don Draper. Despite premium-cable HBO appearing in approximately one third as many homes as AMC, about 4.3 million watched the 9pm airing of Game of Thrones, compared to the 3.4 who tuned in for Mad Men. Keep on reading, Don! [New York Times]

BUSINESS TIME

... Starz is developing a drama series set during the Vietnam War called Airborne. It's described as a coming-of-age story about a helicopter crew as they get shot at. Gideon Yago, who was once one of those MTV News guys, is writing the script. [Deadline Hollywood]

... A&E has placed an order for 10 episodes of Those Who Kill, a new crime drama starring Chloe Sevigny and James D'Arcy. The show is based on a Danish series about a detective (Sevigny) who tracks down serial killers and suspects that her stepfather may also be a serial killer. D'Arcy will play another detective who gets dragged into Sevigny's character's personal investigation. Look for it in 2014. [A&E via press release]

CASTING NEWS

... CBS's Elementary has found its Irene Adler in Game of Thrones' Natalie Dormer. Dormer, who plays Margaery Tyrell in the HBO drama, will take on the role of Sherlock Holmes' big love interest from his past. Dormer will start her three-episode arc on May 9. [CBS via press release]

... The Sopranos vet Michael Imperioli is joing Showtime's Californication in a major recurring role. He won't be a detective or a gangster for like the first time ever; instead, he'll play an aging television producer who helps out Hank Moody. [Showtime via press release]

... NBC is actually serious about this Chicago Fire spin-off! The show, about cops in Chicago, cast its first two actors for the proposed series. Clint Eastwood's son Scott will play a hunky police officer, and Lost vet Tania Raymonde will play a sexy lady cop. You can get your first look at them in the Season 1 finale of Chicago Fire on May 15. [TV Line / TV Line]

How I long for original script ideas. Is there anything on TV that hasn't been done before?
It's nice to see more attempts at spinoffs. I've long thought that there weren't enough of them; they wrongly get a bad reputation and many have gone on to be some of the greatest shows of all time. I still can't believe the Everybody Loves Raymond spinoff didn't go through and that Frasier could run as long as it did without a spinoff. What a waste! It's nice to see spinoffs that aren't simply "franchised" carbon copies like CSI: Miami or Law and Order: SVU. What's important is that you go to enough lengths to create a well thought through idea (like Frasier) as opposed to lazy-ing it up the creative process and assuming people will watch the show because it's connected to the parent (like Joey).
Sure, I'm skeptical but I'm all for it. Saul Goodman is outstanding and I want more of the character; by the end we will have not gotten enough. It's not as if we have anything to lose by making this show. Bob Odenkirk is a guy who has made you go "this guy has way too much talent just to be guest starring on things".
Love Bob Odenkirk. Love Saul Goodman. Hate this idea for a show.
It's always better leaving people wanting more. When BB ends, that should be the true end of it. That said, I'd still watch a Saul spinoff in spite of the franchise milking.
Fat, jumpsuit, self-parody Las Vegas era Elvis was still Elvis. & I'd have liked to see that too
I want Breaking Bad to be its own thing, I want it closed down.

Can't you just create a show where Odenkirk is a lawyer, hangs out with David Cross, and it has no ties to Breaking Bad? Or just another season of Mr. Show or something?
I thought Chicago Fire got cancelled.
Any series with Bob Odenkirk as the lead is going to be hilarious and awesome! Airborne and Those That Kill have some serious potential.
TYPO Heads up: "Michael Imperioli is joing Showtime's Californication" Imperioli is joining? Still sounds good to me. I worried the series was finished after that season finale.

Saul Goodman show sounds awesome. Hopefully they can convince Kevin Nealon to take up a part, because those two guys onscreen together would be mind-blowing.

If lukewarm tapioca ratings are what NBC really desires, I have the perfect solution: Chicago Fire spinoff, starring JAY LENO.
I'd rather have a few more seasons of Breaking Bad.
I hope the Saul show isn't prior to him meeting Walter. We could see some characters returning.
I think it would be bad if he had any characters returning. Closure should be had for BB; then have Saul move on.
C'mon don't tell me your satisfied with 5 seasons of BB and are happy with never seeing any one from the show ever again.
Now I'm not saying that id like major characters to be a big part of the show, but it would be great to have a few episodes with walter jr (who's almost in college) or one of jesse's buddies getting caught up in something stupid and seeking help from Saul. From the article here its meant to be a comedy, and id love to see a character in a non dramatic way. I also believe it would be a good way to keep the ratings high.
Sure, I do wish the show had more seasons but this is the type of show where you want the fate of the characters contained on one show (except for Saul, who will headline the spinoff). Whatever happens to Walt, etc. needs to be final and bringing anyone other than Saul to the spinoff could potentially undo or mess with whatever ending Vince has planned.
Very sceptical but since Gilligan is behind it, it could sure be awesome. But then again, it makes me mad that AMC didn't put the money into 6-7 more BB episodes to have a full last season airing within one year. Instead they're on the money train cutting their main show and going for spin-offs.
For those of you who (still!) haven't seen it, check out the videos at bettercallsaul.com to see how such a spin-off could feel like.
AMC basically put all their money on one program- Mad Men and shafted everything else. Walking Dead may be coming back but never with the same people behind the scenes (they've had trouble with the budget cuts).
That NBC news is Hilarious!!! They are so desperate they are taking a crappy - I mean really crappy - show that managed to get middling ratings at best and spinning off of it. Enjoy that long trip down the drain NBC! Keep making up reviews as well, love the EVERYBODYS TALKING ABOUT ads for Hannibal this week. Those ads should say EVERYBODY'S NAPPING about that snoozer.
hannibal was actually the best thing NBC did this season.. only you were napping I guess..
Everyone is napping. "Hannibal" is booooring. For as expensive as that show is for NBC to produce - the licensing alone - it better hope and pray the numbers improve. You can try to dress up those opening night numbers anyway you want they weren't good. A network show that wasn't intended as a summer run premieres in April and not September for one reason alone - it isn't that good.
here are some examples of "how everyone is not napping": imdb score is 8.4 / 10, and the written reviews there are pretty good as well.. the review in here was also quite good.. and on wikipedia page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hannibal_(TV_series), you can see that, many other critics also welcomed the show in a positive way..
actually I have seen and heard from quite many people that Hannibal was pretty interesting and good, and that actually is my reference point, not the numbers.. it was chilly and creepy and that is all they needed for it to be entertaining.. nothing boring about it.. and it is NBC we are talking about, a network that changed the airing time of last two episodes of a show that has been going pretty decent in its original timeslot.. a network that changed so much of a show that the leading characters left the show.. a network that has done so many wrong things that it became a joke.. so there can be no single reasonable explanation for NBC to air it now or then, or any other action it took..
pfff ... who care ...

All I want is a six-pack...
I only had to read the headline to say "hellz yeah". The Saul Goodman character is awesome and we've already witnessed in "Breaking Bad" how involved he can get with his clients so it wouldn't have to be just another lawyer show.
I say just have Bob Odenkirk and Vince Gilligan work together on something completely new. Even if it's a similar character, that's fine with me. I just don't want a comedy (or really another show in general) in the same fictional world as "Breaking Bad". I like this show too much to associate something else with it that may or may not be great. That may be me being crazy, but that's how I feel.

"Chicago Fire" is getting a spin-off? I thought that that show was on its way to being cancelled. Wow. Watch "Hannibal" people!!
Tried Hannibal and it was good for putting me to sleep. The first few acts were just very very boring. Boring exposition is not any way to start a new show.
Um...I keep thinking, isn't this seriously a spoiler to Breaking Bad. Yes, I would expect that Saul is one of the most likely to manage to survive, but still...
It could be in the past. But yeah, Saul is one of those characters even breaking Bad wouldn't kill I think :-)
I think less wouldn't and more couldn't. Like a cockroach (it the best positive way possible, I love Saul, and hell, I'm a lawyer too).
Good point, who knows though, maybe the spin off takes place before he meets Walt
... Seriously? I'm a huge Breaking Bad fan, and do like Saul (even though he's nowhere even close to being my favorite character), but I'm not really sure how this would be. I'm kind of reminded of another spin-off of a successful show that Vince Gilligan was also involved with: The Lone Gunmen. Like The Lone Gunmen, this is a show that will center on a character who probably best works as a supporting character, and will be so radically different from the parent show that, even if I do end up enjoying the show (as I did with The Lone Gunmen), it probably won't sell to the same type of audience as Breaking Bad, and will likely suffer from low ratings and get canceled after one season. I may check it out and hope for the best, but I'm expecting pretty bad results, at least in terms of commercial success, if not quality-wise.
You could say the same when a serious drama like The Practice spun off Alan Shore into Boston Legal.
That's a good point. I actually didn't think of that because it has been a long time since I've seen Boston Legal, and I've actually never seen The Practice. Though I'd imagine a big part of BL's success is the fact that it was still a courtroom show with a decent amount of drama mixed into the comedy. So I guess there is always a chance this could be successful, I I still think a big part of its success depends on how they handle the comedic elements, so that it doesn't push away too many of Breaking Bad's fanbase like The Lone Gunmen did.
It will have to be it's own show. When Frasier started a lot of execs asked them "hey why don't you have Norm and Cliff come by often or Sam and Woody". And producers said no and wanted it to stand on its own so much that they moved Frasier Crane completely far away from Boston to Seattle on the other side of the country so it would have a different tone and not simply be an extension of Cheers. They didn't want anything much at all from Cheers to be referred to or anything to remind the audience of Cheers. That's why they meet at a coffee shop with chairs (no stools). Even Frasier's humor is dramatically different from Cheers. They are dramatically different sitcoms and yet they are connected. Frasier basically was a fully formed idea on its own and did not really need to rely on its connection to Cheers to succeed. I think this is a good template for spinoffs. It would probably be best not to try to piggyback the show on parent Breaking Bad.

What's odd about Boston Legal is it is completely different from The Practice in tone, but by the end of the last season of The Practice it had almost completely transformed into Boston Legal (and adapted its tone). Denny, etc was there on the show and humor was starting to seep in (although that started when Spader arrived earlier that year). So its sort of as if the spinoff started early.
More +
Seeing as Saul is a shady lawyer and the way the breaking bad writers use their story arcs, i think it will be more drama than comedy with probably 2-3 clients for a season (instead of a new case every week) so there may be more character development.
If it turns into a case of the week series then i would worry.
i'd give it 3 episodes and decide then
I could easily see Badger getting into trouble and going to Saul for help and Saul finding some shady way out of it. I could also see Saul trying to process some get rich quick scheme and then failing at the end.
No,no,no...this contradicts Saul as whole,with what you are saying. Saul is great,when it comes to money and f-ing up with the system. Hell,he even gave advice on how to do things. See,if they do before BB,then it's like depends on what happens with him in BB. If they do before,yes I agree,I could see him planing something and failing,but I'd still rather see,that they gave up on this idea of spin-off.
"Playing Basketball With the Stars"..Tim, DON'T GIVE THEM IDEAS!!!.
Oh, and after Googling Natalie Dormer, I think she's quite attractive if she doesn't do this stupid mouth-pout thing that she seems to do in all her photoshoots and poses. Her role as Margaery in GOT is the only thing I know her from.
Ooooohhh... I'm very intrigued by the Saul Goodman Breaking Bad spinoff.

I'm always skeptical about ideas like this, and I guess that skepticism exists for this, too. But Vince Gilligan in particular (along with many of the BB writers) seems like the kind of guy I'd have to put my trust in regarding TV -- based on Breaking Bad itself and the many audio commentaries and interviews I've heard from Gilligan (The X-Files was awesome too). Also, Bob Odenkirk is generally very funny.

I'm also not sure if I'll be able to take hour-long Saul -- maybe he's one of those characters that's best in small doses. I'm interested to see how my reaction to that will be.

If Gilligan, Odenkirk, and AMC go through with this, here's hoping for the best!
The idea on her own doesn't sound so good to me but the fact Gilligan is involved make it promising.
A Chicago Fire spin-off? Really? But the original show is so awful!
I think Saul could work as a comedy. I think it will likely be episodic, and not serialized. Bob Odenkirk has comedic chops on HIMYM and most recently The Office. What would be better is if it's the Saul and Badger show.
I feel the same way as most other people here...I think it would work and could be mildly entertaining to absolutely hilarious, but I also feel like all things breaking bad should stay within breaking bad, keeping its memory as the best show on TV pure and untainted...which sounds kind of silly now that I've written it down, but there it is.
I agree on this one!
It does sound a little silly, but I couldn't agree more. Even a good spin-off feels wrong to me. I think we can safely assume the main show will be going out with a massive bang in a few months, and being able to stay in that universe afterwards would take away from that in my opinion. Fans would be thinking about Walter and Jesse while watching the spin-off.

Good as it might turn out to be, I'm hoping it doesn't get made.
Nah,don't do it. I love Saul,but Saul belongs to Breaking Bad. Walter White is the reason Saul is in BB and I just can't see any other client of Saul being that good. Sure it would have some "great" frauds,but that is already been done in BB. Don't fall into trap of milking cow till it's dry. It will only ruin BB reputation of baddest show on tv.
Scott Eastwood! I love him! I might have to watch this spinoff after all...
I would potentially watch a basketball with the stars assuming it included actual stars that I know. remember that annual MTV deal where they played kickball and other sports I think.
Quick ratings question:

This was Saturday's Doctor Who results:

7th - 0.970 million viewers
2nd - 0.546 million adults 18-49 (0.4 rating)

SyFy's Battledogs movie did a bit better with:
4th - 1.520 million viewers
1st - 0.635 million adults 18-49 (0.5 rating)

I know it's Saturday, but does that seem really low to anyone else anyway? Even though it came in second for the usual demo, that still seems low. I thought this show was huger than that - at least better than a cheapo CGI SyFy movie.

I do not know what the ratings are for later airings on other nights for the week, but does anyone know if they might be better? Maybe people are choosing to watch it at a better, but later, time. I'd be curious to know.

Dr. Who's live BBC America ratings can't really matter because people can watch it whenever they want there are many reairings, its not an original airing regardless, and it airs on Saturdays. The low numbers could be bad for the new kid "Orphan Black". How is the brilliant "Orphan Black" doing after the Doctor?
The Orphan Black ratings were not provided for some reason.

Usually, first run ratings are what matters most to advertisers and networks, so despite re-airings, it's usually the first I noted they take more seriously, if I'm not mistaken. That's why I was wondering about the later airings of Saturday's episode to know if the ratings would be the same, better, or worse, and if the network truly takes Saturdays lower expectations into consideration and waits to see what those later results are.

My main point, though, is I thought people loved Who enough that the ratings for the first American airing of this show would be way higher than I noted - at least 2 million overall. I would certainly expect that they would be far higher than one of SyFy's movies.
I think they moved both shows from where they aired the first week of both - both moved back an hour this week - maybe that screwed up things a tad? I think the first week the recent Christmas episode re-aired and was first followed by the new Dr. Who then Orphan Black. It was one of those last series Dr. Who marathons on BBCAmerica before the new episode aired.

Still strange that the numbers were as you found. Thanks.
I love Saul Goodman, but I'm torn. Having Vince Gilligan involved is reassuring, but AMC hasn't really made a good show-ordering decision in 3 years (though, considering how The Walking Dead's been going it may be even longer than that). Can't we just let a great thing die in peace rather than gussy up its corpse and drag it out on the town?
AMC just can't resist the temptation to milk every last penny out of all of their commodities. Taken on the whole, they're really a pretty lame network.
Yup. It's pretty impressive how they've squandered all the goodwill they built up 5 or 6 years ago with Mad Men and Breaking Bad. AMC just seems like such a douchebro, and nothing they've done has convinced me to keep watching after BB and TWD end.
It could work, although to be honest I would rather see something else from them. But Breaking Bad's so good at being funny yet barely ever tries to be so maybe this will be good. Although it would be weird without Walt and Jesse, they're the funniest characters on the show when they try to be.
This could be good we all know that Vince Gilligan is a comedic genius based on all the great X-Files & Lone Gunmen episodes he has written so this could be a good who knows.
wow I totally forgot about the lone gunmen. thanks for that.
yeah no problem. lone gunmen was a short lived show but it was still great
BREAKING BAD SPOILER ALERT!

Saul doesn't die.....
The only time I laugh in Breaking Bad is when Saul is there, he's awesome. If they do it right, this could be a great spinoff.