News Briefs: Are Three Big Stars Leaving Saturday Night Live?

SATURDAY NIGHT DEAD NEWS

... The SNL rumor mill is churning once again, and the latest news to come out of it (or at least reemerge from it) is that the show is losing three of its biggest stars. Kristen Wiig, Jason Sudeikis, and Andy Samberg are all leaving at the conclusion of this season, says some blabbermouth. We've been hearing whispers of Wiig being ready to depart for a while now, but if this latest gossip is true and the entire trio leaves it'll be a huge blow for the sketch show, which is already suffering creatively. [US Magazine]

AWARDS! AWARDS! AWARDS! NEWS

... The Peabody Awards, also known as the Guys Who Are Doing It Right Awards, handed out its batch of entertainment honors today and recognized some good ones. Homeland, Game of Thrones, Treme, Parks and Recreation, Portlandia, and The Colbert Report all won new trophies for their excellence in television. Meanwhile, the Emmys will still nominate Glee for every award it can. [Deadline Hollywood]

SHOWRUNNER SHAKEUP NEWS

... Supernatural is losing one of its bosses. Sera Gamble, who was named showrunner when creator Eric Kripke left after Season 5, will be leaving after the current season. Jeremy Carver, who left Supernatural to run the show at Syfy's Being Human, will return to serve as co-showrunner with Robert Singer. Gamble's great, but I've always preferred Carver's episodes to hers. She likes to go darker, and Carver is more into goofiness—as evidenced by his best episode, "Changing Channels." Carver's wife Anna Fricke will remain showrunner of Being Human. Now when these two shows both have imaginary characters, it'll make more sense. [Deadline Hollywood]

CASTING NEWS

... McLovin' is comin' to TV. Christopher Mintz-Plasse (Superbad) has been cast as one of the leads of CBS's Friend Me, the comedy about two Midwestern friends who move to Los Angeles to work at Groupon. [Deadline Hollywood]

... Expect to see more adorable short people on your TV, as Ryan Seacrest will be joining the NBC family. Seacrest will participate in the network's coverage of the Olympics as well as handle other miscellaneous duties at the network such as crawling into small spaces to retrieve the pens that Brian Williams drops. [Deadline Hollywood]

... Emmanuelle Chriqui will stop by CBS's The Mentalist to bat her eyelashes at Simon Baker. She'll play a new love interest for Patrick Jane who makes her debut in the season finale and returns next season. [TV Line]

... The West Wing's Richard Schiff is guest-starring on NCIS at the end of the season. He'll play a big-time foreign businessman. [TV Guide]

... If things don't work out for Party Down's Ryan Hansen on the Fox pilot El Jefe, he already has back-up. He's double-booked pilots and will play the lead in CBS's comedy from Louis C.K. and Spike Feresten about "young people trying to achieve their creative dreams in these tough financial times." Hansen will play one of the young people trying to achieve his creative dreams in these tough financial times. Hey man, when have to copy and paste something, you might as well make it count! [Deadline Hollywood]

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

They should continue the story line from season 5. Bring back lucifer, have the virus innfect people creating a supernatural vs the walking dead story where the untimate showdown with Sam/lucifer and Dean fighting for life or death and end the show with a bang. Seasons 6 and 7 is bad vs 1-5.
Here I was hoping Supernatural was going to end after this season...It seems to be going the way of Smallville: Just continue to drag on and on well past its sell date.

There hasn't been a great episode since "Weekend at Bobby's" all the way at the beginning of last year...and, realistically, here's the problem:

The show has basically explored almost everything it can with the brothers, all their lying and hiding secrets at this point in the show just undermines them and frustrates the viewer. I think I've actually yelled at the screen "THIS WOULD ALL BE BETTER IF YOU JUST TALKED TO EACH OTHER". Though the reason that's a problem is there's no one interesting left to explore as any of the great smaller characters has introduced been killed off (Rufus, Bobby, Gramps, Ellen & Jo) or been forgotten (Crowley).

Sure they can introduce new characters, but you're just as likely to end up with duds like Dick Roman (most boring villain ever), Frank (who feels like they tried to set up as a "young" Ash, but just doesn't have the same magic), or Garth (just don't buy him as a hunter).

Moral of the story: Put this show out of its misery already, please.
I agree with nearly half of your statement. But...what about 'Death's Door' ??
I personally found it extremely out of character for Bobby to choose to become a ghost. I know he loved the boys like sons, and wants to try help...but he knows he's just as likely to become something they have to DEAL with as he is to become something that can actually help them.

Personally if they were going to kill Bobby I wish they had done it all the way back when he stabbed himself while possessed in the Season 5 episode "Sympathy for the Devil"...Setting aside for the moment that there is no way I buy Bobby would allow himself to be possessed (No way he doesn't the Tattoo to prevent it that Sam and Dean have) killing Bobby then would have been shocking and really ramped up the "SHIT HAS JUST GOTTEN REAL" feeling...the fact that they didn't kill him there I've felt he's been on borrowed time and while it was a solid episode I feel his choice at the end completely undermines it.
Supernatural losing another show-runner? But gaining Robert Singer and Jeremy Carver as showrunners...it actually sounds like a good plan. I wonder why Gamble stepped down? Different ideas for Season 8? Wow looks like we'll be getting a whole other feel to Supernatural. 1-5, 6 & 7, and then 8+. Wonder how obvious the change will be. Good to know Being Human will still have Mrs. Carver to handle it...both great shows
I haven't seen SNL in years, but I can say that any movie that Kristen Wiig has even the tiniest part in, she steals the show. If she does stay, this would almost certainly be her last year.
'handle other miscellaneous duties at the network such as crawling into small spaces to retrieve the pens that Brian Williams drops' - genius!
Considering what happened to Supernatural after Kripke left, I really don't mind Sera Gamble leaving. Here's to a season eight back on track ;)
Supernatural just should've stopped after Kripke left. I mean I never thought I'd be THAT person (you know, the one complaining about actually getting MORE seasons of her favorite show), but really, it hasn't felt quite right to me ever since season 6...
I know what you mean. I'll always watch it and I'll always love it, but I've given up a long time ago of getting back to season three to five quality. It should have ended, but I love it nonetheless and I'll be happy if it gets a season eight.
I have no problem with losing those 3, even if Sudeikis is one of my favorites of the current cast. They all seem like they're phoning it in, like they know they have better-paying gigs to be at but contracts to fulfill. Until the horrible writing staff with head-writer Seth Meyers is the one hitting the bricks though, SNL will continue to be shamed and booed at my house. A creative shakeup could only help, right now the show feels stuck and complacent.
Comedy about Groupon?? BAD idea. Those guys are getting their asses sued off right now.
Even though I really like SNL and if those three leave, next season will suffer,, it was about time! Especially Kristen Wigg!
Not Andy Samberg!!! I love him! :'(
SNL died years ago. None of the comics really care about the show, they're all in it to further their careers.
McLovin' starring in a CBS sitcom? It won't last... yet I'm oddly intrigued.
As far as hosts of things go, Seacrest is just average....especially when you consider what hole he was hired to plug -- Dick Clark's. Ever since then they've just been using him for everything because they have no other ideas. Surely, somewhere out there, there must be someone with the charisma and charm to bump Seacrest off the hill, but they aren't stepping forward.
The wrong three people are leaving SNL: it should be Seth Myers, Fred Armisen and Kenan Thompson.

And Ryan Seacrest & the Olympics. LMFAO!! The most unmanliest dude in Hollywood + Sports. Oh yeah, that's a good match. LOL
hopefully the change in leadership will revive Supernatural. we all know it's been suffering this season and I want it to last forever so new/old blood sounds promising.

in re Ryan Seacrest at the Olympics, I don't really care. He's not obnoxious (even funny at times) and I focus more on the physical feats of the athletes and block out the announcers. except during the soccer games. without them soccer would be almost unbearable. yay Olympics!!

oh, and SNL IS unbearable. Kristen Wiig and Jason Sudeikis are pretty cool when they're not on SNL so I'm cool with them leaving.
a) If you've been watching this season, SNL has NOT been suffering creatively.

b) If a show is actually suffering creatively, a significant change of cast is like to improve that situation, not be a "huge blow" to it.
I have been watching, and it's mostly garbage. One of the only bright spots is Kristen Wiig.

I don't know how losing someone so talented could possibly be good for the creativity of the show.
'Garbage'... well, that's your opinion. For me, Bobby Moynihan and Taran Killam have been standouts this season.

Losing Wiig (though I am a fan) is good for the show because as brilliant a performer as she is, we've seen almost every comedic side of her. SNL is best when it's producing fresh material and new stars - not every recurring character is gold.
Bobby Moynihan is a hack. Taran Killiam is pretty good, I'll give you that. But losing Wiig is like losing a Will Farrell. No matter how you spin it, it's not a good thing.
A "hack"? No explanation to follow up on that? Every reaction-face he does is nothing short of perfect. And that new "drunk uncle" character, just fantastic.

Wiig, while she's on the show, gets a lot of material written for her, a lot of sketches. For how many more years do you want to see the same mannerisms? Her leaving may lead to someone else showing that they are just as good. Every SNL cast has had their superstars, someone will emerge.
those three are my favorite apart from Abby Elliott.. she should leave too (join New Girl as Zooey's sister lol) and then I won't even care about SNL as much, which isn't much now anyway..
If irrelevancy was a cliff, and SNL was a speeding car with a drunk driver behind the wheel trying to navigate the steering wheel with one hand because the other one was occupied constantly changing the radio dial to annoying songs, and Kristen Wiig, Jason Sudeikis, and Andy Samberg were the guardrail beside the cliff, then that car is just about to ....

Where was this needlessly convoluted analogy going?

Oh, yeah, SNL is screwed.
Horse manure. SNL will soldier on with or without Wiig, Sudeikis and Samberg the same way they always have when funnier, smarter actors and better writers have left the show in the past. Kristen Wiig is the only one who will be truly missed as Samberg and Sudeikis have been nearly irrelevant on the show this entire season.
I stopped faithfully watching a few years back, but I check in every few episodes to see if the quality has improved. Sadly, it has not.
SNL has ALWAYS been hit and miss, even in its glory days. That's part of its charm.
I'm surprised Wiig has lasted this long due to the fact of her stardom. Sudekis no doubt is great too and I feel he'll shine more since they don't feature him as much as they should. Samberg's digital shorts are hit or miss with me so I won't be crushed on that.