News Briefs: CBS Has Not Forgotten Unforgettable

ATTRACTIVE REDHEADS WITH AMAZING MEMORIES NEWS

... Attractive-redhead-with an-amazing-memory Carrie Wells may continue solving cases with her amazing memory and attractiveness. CBS is currently in discussions to bring back its procedural Unforgettable after canceling the show this past spring. The idea would be to bring it back for a 13-episode summer run next year. Unforgettable was a bubble show, and after it was canceled by CBS it was shopped to TNT and Lifetime, both of which expressed interest. [Deadline Hollywood]

BUSINESS TIME

... FX has ordered a pilot for Bronx Warrants, a comedy from producer Denis Leary. The show would follow a group of warrant detectives who chase down perps with outstanding warrants and get paid on a case-by-case basis, making them essentially bounty hunters. Let's work on that title, Denis. [Deadline Hollywood]

... More Comic-Con news: Dexter has been added to Thursday's bill. Along with Michael C. Hall and Jennifer Carpenter, new cast member Yvonne Strahovski will attend the Q&A.; But you know what I'm excited for? The first trailer for Season 2 of Homeland, which will premiere immediately after the Dexter panel. Shameless will also attend the 'Con, on Saturday in the Indigo Ballroom. [Showtime via press release]

... MTV is airing a special "Retro Mania" block weekdays from 9am to noon, featuring episodes of Laguna Beach, The Hills, and Daria. Festivities begin with Laguna Beach on June 25. MTV might want to update its dictionaries, though, as The Hills ended two years ago and doesn't quite fit the "retro" bill. [THR]

... A & E's surprisingly entertaining Duck Dynasty will be back for a second season of redneck fun. The network has ordered 26 new episodes of the reality show, which follows the Robertson family in Louisiana as they maintain their very successful duck-call business. [A & E via press release]

... Tim Roth (Lie to Me, Mr. Orange) has officially signed on to Knifeman, a new TV project from brilliant weirdo David Cronenberg. The drama, which was previously announced... oh... many months ago I think, follows a self-taught surgeon who is obsessed with figuring out how the human body works. The series does not yet have a home, but production house Media Rights Capital has already ordered a full season of it, so it should end up somewhere. [Deadline Hollywood]

... Remember that TNT pilot Scent of the Missing I've been telling you about intermittently over the last year or so? The one about a bunch of female K-9 unit officers and their dogs? Starring Tricia Helfer and Summer Glau? The one we all thought would never actually work as a TV show? Well it didn't work as a TV show. TNT has passed on it. Will someone please make some Summer Glau jokes? Because I certainly can't. [Deadline Hollywood]

... Bristol Palin's new Lifetime reality show Bristol Palin: Life's a Tripp debuted last night and its numbers were nothing but suck. The first episode drew a paltry 726,000 viewers, well below what Lifetime expects from a series premiere. The show followed—I mean follows, I'm getting ahead of myself here haha but not TOO far ahead of myself—Sarah Palin's daughter and her toddler son Tripp as they do whatever it is she does nowadays. It's probably a bit early for Tripp to learn that his mother is a talentless coattail rider, but he's going to find out eventually. Yes Tripp, your mommy lost more than 50 percent of her Dance Moms lead-in! Coochie-coo! [Deadline Hollywood]

... TBS is sticking with its strategy of recycling the hits. The network, which once made a very wise investment in picking up The Big Bang Theory's reruns for $1.5 million per episode, has scooped up off-network syndication rights to 2 Broke Girls for $1.7 million per episode, setting a new record. Look for it in 2015 once the show has amassed enough episode to even be in syndication. And yes, the show will almost certainly be around until at least 2015. [TBS via press release]

CASTING NEWS

... Emilie de Ravin is buying drinks next time you see her. The former Lost star ("my baaaaaby!") has been bumped up to regular-cast-member status on ABC's Once Upon a Time for the upcoming second season. In the story-book drama, the Aussie actress plays Belle from the Beauty and the Beast fairy tale. Congratulations, Emilie! I always thought you were the third cutest chick on Lost after Kate and Hurley. [TV Line]

... NBC is thinking about cutting Ann Curry from the Today show. What's your favorite kind of curry? And who is your favorite Ann(e)? Yellow Thai and Raggedy for me! [NY Times]

... 90210's Lauren London is joining BET's The Game for Season 6. She'll play a former child actor who's starring in a new show. [TV Line]

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

I really wanted to like Unforgettable and watched every episode, the characters were good (if a little broad in one episode and oddly well rounded in others).. It just failed in sloppy writing and weak use of a rather interesting plot device.

The rewinds could have been awesome but they all relied on showing you things the 2nd time you didn't see the first time, reversing that would have made them far harder to write but infinitely more entertaining and rewarding. It's like getting to the final chapter of a book and saying 'Oh! That thing you assumed was true, wasn't... but this was'. I find misdirects that confound your expectations much more preferable to omission... being clever by simple omission isn't really being clever at all (Unless your watching LOST.. but we all know that couldn't carry a crappy final season).

Also that final episode was atrociously weak and hackneyed (if you weren't at least 30minutes ahead of the story-line you can't have watched a dramatic tv show before and was horribly frustrating to watch characters willfully ignore the obvious to force the drama) and typified the slapdash approach.
Come on MTV, how about a retro for people who actually remember your tv shows like "The Maxx", "Beavis and Butthead" and I'm still trying to figure out the plot of "Aeon Flux"...
Tim Roth plays a good crazy person, I might actually watch that....
What's your favorite kind of curry?

The only curry you need it Tim Curry :)
So happy to hear the news about Emilie de Ravin - LOOOOVE her ever since I saw her in Lost and I really like her character in OUaT! :)
Knifeman sounds like a horror flick, not a TV drama.

TNT's show really sounds like something you'd find on Lifetime, and the joke title of "Smelly Bitches" (they're scent dogs, folks!) writes itself.

TBS is insane - CLINICALLY INSANE! - to pay that much for syndication rights to 2 Broke Girls. Big Bang Theory is a top earner for CBS, it brings in huge ratings, it has plenty of episodes to carry it, yet it barely makes sense to pay that much per episode despite the show airing constantly in network syndicated reruns these days. 2 Broke Girls is doing alright for a new series but is hardly a super hit, and has a paltry 29 episodes, and for all we know vagina jokes aren't going to be in season next year and it'll be canceled - they are taking a huge risk, and paying more per episode is a bad precedent for something less than fully tested and going great.
Poor summer, I think she is awesome and I want her on tv please!!!!, and unforgettable wasn't that bad :/
I'm pretty stoked to hear that Unforgettable might be returning.
Finally some good news, cause I was still reeling after the cancellation of Unforgettable. Which is my fave show this season. Instead of the summer of 2013, they should put in the midseason in case the show in it's timeslot "Vegas" does poorly and gets cancelled and Unforgettable can get it's Tuesday 10pm spot back.
- Yvonne Strahovski on Dexter? I'm surprised, but pleasantly so. I'm crossing my fingers for a deranged female serial killer story line.

- I'm pretty happy that Scent of the Missing was killed off. It should have been given the Most Likely to Fail Award immediately when someone came up with the idea. The show just sounded like a terrible idea. A waste of Summer Glau's talents, I say. How many episodes, let alone seasons, would we be willing to watch cute bitches running around wagging their tails and solving crime? (I'm talking about the dogs of course, not Glau and Helfer.) Now we'll just have to watch out for Glau's next project.

- More Emilie de Ravin? Yes, please.
I liked Unforgettable and had been sorry to hear it was cancelled. When I learned that TNT and Lifetime had been in talks to possibly pick it up, I thought that could be nice, but it wasn't something I felt like trying to encourage others to get involved in helping to save the show.

I don't recall seeing much buzz about "save Unforgettable" campaigns, people creating websites devoted to trying to save it, encouraging fans to participate in a show of support by making donations to the Make-a-Wish foundation, or the show making it out of the first round of your "most missed cancelled shows" tournament. Not only did "The Secret Circle" WIN the "most missed show" tourney, but all of those other "save the show" activities were done trying to get it saved, and what happens?

As of June 5th, we learn that not only is CW absolutely not considering rescinding the cancellation, but that Warner Brothers has NO interest in selling the show to anyone else AND they've cancelled plans to make a DVD of the first season. You can still buy the individual episodes at iTunes but there won't be any blooper reels or other fun stuff that make DVD sets so cool to get.

So, while I'll be glad to get to see more "Unforgettable," the networks should look at this and recognize that it's this kind of jerking fans around that causes us to be hesitant to give our loyalty to shows - especially shows with longer-term arcs. We never know when the plug will get pulled or, if it does, if we'll get a *real* conclusion to the story.
CW sounds like its having some retaliatory vendetta against Secret Circle. What did they do to piss them off???

I missed three episodes starting with "Beneath". I eventually started taping the rest and have the last 12, but can't watch until I see the three I missed, as I prefer to be complete that way. I was hoping they would at least rerun it this summer and I could catch up, but I guess not? That's real strange how they seem to be completely dismissing/dissing this show when they could have renewed it and possibly had the summer to grab new viewers with repeats.

If not repeats, I was hoping to get it through Netflix on DVD and now you say they aren't doing that either? That's awful.
You can live-stream it from Amazon, and apparently iTunes, but I don't know of any other way to catch up.

Personally, I think the idea of creating a 13-episode summer show out of it, like CBS is apparently doing with Unforgettable, would have been great, but I guess it's just a really, really expensive show to make.
There was a buzz when the show "Harry's Law" was given the axe last month. A nationwide facebook campaign. The reason for the show's cancellation is cause NBC saw that it aimed at a much older demographic, and not the younger. So a lot of people are ticked off and are fighting to get it back on tv by making them listen to the viewers.
If MTV wants something RETRO, have a channel with music videos only like it should be. Good news about Emilie De Ravin. Ann Curry is great so that doesn't sound good. I love a yellow curry with pineapple and shrimp.
Leary coming back?? That' very good news!!
Favorite Annie? Is Edison from Community, easy. Fave Curry? Lamb Madras.

Oh Summer, what next you poor thing? Is it any coinncdence that Alpha's is back in a month and Summer's Alpha-ability (at getting shows cancelled) kicks into fifth gear? I was actually looking forward to that show too. No, seriously. Summer Glau AND Tricia Helfer on screen together would be awsome. I'm now having visions of River Tam v Number Six in a jello-rumble... good times.

CBS must still be reading my TV.com comments*. It was only a couple of days ago that I was complaining about shows getting cancelled instead of being moved to summer to fill the void current infested by "faux-'reality'-docu-bullshit". Let's hope this plan from CBS catches on.

*There is no evidence that CBS has EVER read any of my TV.com comments. Yet.

Happy for Emilie de Ravin, but I hope they don't treat her like they did Meghan Ory, she was great but only used about three times in the first season. Hmmm, Emilie de Ravin and Meghan Ory in a jello-rumble... OK time to click Submit.
I hope you DO realise that repeating M.Tim Surette bad joke about the Alpha-ability and aknowledging at the same time that Alphas was renewed makes no sense, not to mention that you sounds like M.Tim Surette's personal pet.
Wow. That was unexpected. I thought the the little Alpha's joke was just a nod to a TV.com inside joke, I didn't realise it was so heinuos that I'd be described as "Tim's pet". For the record I'm noones pet, I judge each article on it's merits, in this case - NEWS BRIEFS. Not a scathing article on the politics behind TV production or a reveiw of the latest Game of Thrones (or should I say The Vampire Diaries, seeing that's one that Tim doesn't write?), it;s just the bloody news briefs.

I'll do you a deal, the next time I actually see a comment from you that isn't negative, bland, derogatory, insulting, boring, depressing, unoriginal or anything other than useless, I'll write a little "well done" under it. I wouldn't advise you to hold your breath.
May I ask you a simple question M. Tim Surette : how can judge a pilot whereas you didn't WATCH it?

Do you have some kind of clairvoyance power or does your year of experience in tv business allow you to sniff a good show from a bad one just by its title.

If so, you could have had a role in "Scent of the Missing" ;)
poppy will be hot & sweaty for the summer.
Poor Summer. Firefly, Serenity AND The 4400 were so spectacular for her. Did anyone see that Big Bang episode she was in? hilarious.
Maybe if "Scent of the Missing" had Glau in a dog suit like "Wilfred" with Helfer as her handler? Or was that actually what they were going to do?

Helfer: Did you find him, girl, huh, did ya?

Glau: Yeah, yeah, stop shoving his underwear in my face! Timmy's over in that well.

Helfer: Timmy! Timmy, it's OK, we're here to help! Just hang on! Can you hear me? Timmy?!

Glau: What are looking at? I'm not climbing down there. Dogs don't climb. My job's done. Get Officer O'Riley's cat if you want a climber! Good luck getting him in the water though.

Helfer: Timmy! Help is coming sweetie! Hang on!

Looks at Glau: What are you doing?

Glau wagging tail: Look! He had a cute rubber ball! I wonder if he fell in chasing it? If I had a biscuit for all the s**t I got into chasing balls...

Helfer exasperated: Not now - Just sit!

Back to the well: Timmy!

Coffee fueled boredom...
so basically MTV is stealing The N's idea for The 90s Are All That? I guess that's not really stealing since they're partners or whatever.. but the only good show was Daria, and that's what the DVDs are for!

I don't see why everybody rags on Summer Glau's show getting cancelled like it's her fault. it's only her fault she joins such crap shows.

and awesome news for Emilie de Ravin
i wasn't a fan of rescue me but i'll try bronx warrants maybe? fx news makes me miss terriers. Yvonne Strahovski doesn't make me miss chuck. mtv news makes me miss music television in a time when the artists didn't thoroughly suck. tim roth news makes me miss lie to me. Summer Glau makes me miss the sarah connor chronicles.

emilie news doesn't make me miss lost. i did however think she was joining some other show though?
Kate? Really? Way cuter than Kate. But so were Kiele Sanchez, Sonya Walger and probably half of the women on the show.
If that's Retro, what does MTV call the days when they use to play music full time? Ancient History??
No Summer Glau jokes but you did an easy Hurley one? Whaaaa...
"The first trailer for Season 2 of Homeland, which will premiere immediately after the Dexter panel."

AYEEEEEEEEEE!!! Please tell me you guys are going to post that trailer ASAP!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I really liked Emilie de Ravin as Belle and I'm glad she's going to be a regular cast memeber. I was rooting for a Belle/Rumpelstiltskin reunion for half the season, but when Rumpel' finally saw his one true love again, all he cared about was that damn magical purple cloud! (Yeah, yeah, magic is power. Whatever!) I mean, he was reunited with the only women who ever truly loved him, whom he thought was dead, and he can't pull his head out of his ass for one minute. Get your priorities straight, Rumpel'!
Awww... please bring back Unforgettable. It's such a great show.
It is?..... sarcasm