News Briefs: CBS Is Pulling Mike & Molly's Season Finale Due to a Tornado Storyline

... In light of the tornadoes that've ripped across the Midwest, killing people and causing millions of dollars in damage, CBS has made a last-minute decision to pull tonight's season finale of Mike & Molly because it featured a storyline involving tornadoes. A repeat will air in its place, and the finale will be rescheduled to "an appropriate date." [EW]

BUSINESS TIME

... The remaining episodes of ABC's canceled 666 Park Avenue are coming back to haunt you! The last four hours of the series, starring Terry O'Quinn as the devilish owner of a scary New York apartment building, will air on Saturdays beginning June 22, putting the finale on schedule for a July 13 airdate. Saturday the 13th! Spooky! [TV Line]

... NBC has ordered a scripted series about an unscripted series. And it's set in the cold to premiere in the heat. In Siberia, 16 reality show contestants head to a remote meteor site in Russia when strange things starts to happen. The series, which was already in production, will debut on July 1 at 10pm. If it does well, maybe NBC will make a Celebrity Siberia version. [NBC via press release]

... IFC's high-larious Comedy Bang Bang will return for its 20-episode second season on Friday, July 12. And check out this impressive list of guest-stars: Jessica Alba, Aziz Ansari, David Cross, Zach Galifianakis, Jim Gaffigan, Pee-Wee Herman, Bill Hader, Gillian Jacobs, and Rashida Jones. Shall I go on? Okay, Andy Richter, Andy Samberg, Zoe Saldana, Cobie Smulders, Sarah Silverman, Casey Wilson, Adam DeVine, Nat Faxon, Jack McBrayer, and Jim Rash. And if that wasn't enough, Adam Scott, Lance Reddick, and Jim Rash. More? FINE! Bob Odenkirk, Kristen Schaal, and Paul F. Tompkins! And just to put it way over the top... WEIRD AL YANKOVIC. That's the mic-dropper. I'm out! [IFC via press release]

... Season 3 of Showtime's Web Therapy will debut July 23 at 11pm, Showtime would like you to know. This show also has guest-stars, but they're just Steve Carell, Billy Crystal, Chelsea Handler, and Megan Mullally. Not a single Lance Reddick in sight. [Showtime via press release]

... The next series in the Star Wars franchise will be Star Wars Rebels, it will be animated, it will air on The Disney Channel, and it will take place between Episodes III and IV. Is it just me or is the Star Wars franchise Benjamin Buttoning and aiming at a younger and younger demographic as it ages? In a few years, it will just be baby Yoda and some Teletubbies. [NY Times]

CASTING/CREWING NEWS

... Mia Maestro (the Twilight films, Alias) has landed the lead role opposite Corey Stoll in FX's pilot The Strain. The series, an adaptation of Guillermo Del Toro's vampire novels, follows an official for the Center for Disease Control as he investigates a virus that causes its host to exhibit symptoms of vampirism. [Deadline Hollywood]

... The X Factor has ended our long national nightmare of not knowing next season's judges will be! Joining Simon Cowell and Demi Lovato at the table this fall will be the previously rumored Kelly Rowland of Destiny's Child and singer Paulina Rubio. Now we can continue curing cancer and solving global hunger. Phew. [Fox via press release]

... Life of Pi director Ang Lee won't be directing the FX pilot Tyrant as initially planned. Citing exhaustion and a busy schedule, Lee has pulled out of helming the series from Homeland producer Howard Gordon. Tyrant, which will still shoot, is a drama about an American family living in the Middle East. [Deadline Hollywood]

They showed Mike & Molly's season finale last night on Canada.
Wow, this is weird...this same thing has happened before for at least a few other mass tragedies. There have been other shows before that had to pull the latest episodes because it had close ties/links into a new mass tragedy.
One thing I could not understand: so this Siberia thing that is already in production is a reality show or a tv series? which is the former and which is the latter.. the "scripted"-"unscripted" thing becomes kinda confusing sometimes for us, non-natives:)
fox did a whole night of hurricane stories last year and i'm sure a hurricane happened around that time. but of course we are talking about fox here.
::In light of the tornadoes that've ripped across the Midwest, killing people and causing millions of dollars in damage,::

come on really? this has got to be one of the most ridiculous reasons for delaying a SEASON FINALE i have ever heard of. i sympathize for the victims, don't get me wrong but tornados happen all the time. they might of well had delayed the entire season cause it involved trying to get pregnant and people every day can't get pregnant and have miscarriages and they should be sympathetic towards that. no difference.
That's the official reason to make CBS look good. The most likely reason is that ratings will be down due to a lot of people not having access to TVs.
First and foremost, thoughts and prayers to the victims of this disaster.

Second, this may be the most buzz Mike and Molly has gotten all season. I am landing in the middle here....I don't really see a problem with delaying the season finale, but I also don't think doing so earns much in the way of praise/sympathy points from the network, nor do I think that delaying the episode eases the plight of the people affected by the tornado. The main argument I am gleaning from these comments is the line between respectful observance and over-sensitivity, and either way, a decision has already been made in this case.
I also don't think the network really deserves praise, nor think they are being good human beings.

They're probably just being worried about being perceived as heartless AND don't want to deal with the inevitable flack that would follow. Because if they aired it, you know you are going to have tons of angry callers / hate mail / boycotts / etc.

So they make themselves look sympathetic and avoid a headache.

Though ultimately, I think it's probably for the best. It's hard to enjoy yourself when you realize that thing you're watching is something a person 100 miles away is going through right now.
if they didn't want to air something that may make them seem heartless then they should of canceled the entire season cause it involved trying to get pregnant and that may seem heartless to the hundreds of people that try and can't get pregnant. of course I'm being sarcastic.
There's a difference between a national/regional tragedy, and something that affects people.

Lots of people can't conceive. Lots of people are raped. Lots of people lose a loved one in a car accident. These are common plot-lines. Obviously it's going to upset someone.

You're ALWAYS going to have a storyline that hits home for a group of people. Heck, that scene in the Police Academy movies where the guy gets his heady stuck up a horse's butt... I'm sure someone out there lost a family member to that because the suffocated in there.

But with a disaster like this... it's different. I'm not saying they *must* re-schedule or else be evil jerks but I can understand the demand. But, a lot of people see tragedy as something more and some things are "too soon".

Case in point: 9/11. Yes we have movies now. If you lost a loved one (or thought you lost a loved one) would you want a movie about it the following morning on primetime TV?
My random curiousity about Mike & Molly (I don't watch it but it is my mother's favorite show), I just randomly assumed it was set in New York or New Jersey. My point being, I know every once in a great while a tornado occurs here in the northeast, but not often enough to have even actually been a storyline...
The families affected for this tragedy have my sympathy.

I'm fine with postponing a show. It's a big flippin' deal of a natural disaster. Sure, it's no tsunami but as far as recent natural disasters go in the continental USA it's a big deal.

So I'm OK with postponing it.

As for the suggestions below of "why not just a disclaimer" it's kind of a mixed bag. A disclaimer seems (to some) that they considered it might be inappropriate but decided it doesn't matter.

By postponing it they're earning some good will. It's not just the estimated 100 dead, but LOTS and LOTS of families who's homes are ruined / towns wrecked / etc. Between their friends and families worrying about them and just the average person... perhaps best not to dwell on it.

I mean... after 9/11 the entire country was pretty depressed and afraid. I'm pretty sure a network would cancel an episode about bombing the WTC or something a couple of days after.
stunned by the lack of common decency exhibited in some of these posts - with the likely death toll from the tornadoes in one town alone to exceed 100 and most of them children from a couple of schools, regardless of why they have done it, the decision to reschedule a TV show episode of any description containing tornadoes (let alone a comedy show) is the right thing to do - I live on the other side of the world from OK and know no-one who lives there and even I can see that......glad the guys who made the decision have more sensitivity than their viewers whether that decision based on the right thing to do or money/ratings.....
Are tv guys psychic i mean castle got 1 episode switched because of the boston bombing and now this...
You think that's bad. Read up on "The Lone Gunmen"

It was a TV series that spun off from the X-Files. Lovable (older) conspiracy geeks investigating stuff.

The pilot aired 6 months before 9/11 and featured someone trying to crash an airliner into the WTC. And involved the government trying to spark a war or something.

So, all in all, that was creepy.
There were a few things that happened as a reaction to 911. Some movies such as The Towering Inferno were pulled out of rotation. And Microsoft pulled it's Flight Simulator program because it had the WTC in it. Flying between the towers became about the second most popular thing to do after flying under the Golden Gate Bridge.
Different conversation... his was "the writers must be psychic for the various shows to have episodes air so similar to real-life events as-they-happen" Which I admit, is sometimes creepy.

Your's is... reacting to these big events means pulling them from various media.

So: life imitating art, versus people reacting to life.
Crystyn's comment also mentioned an episode being switched out because of the parallels between its content and real-life events. So both comments relate to the same conversation.
This comment has been removed.
I can't believe some of the posts on here. I don't care when they decide to air Mike and Molly's episode (or any other episode of that matter), because yes--there are more important things to focus on right now. Like finding those missing children.

I don't even live in the U.S. and I'm saying this.
CBS pulled the episode, but it still aired in Canada... so by the time they decide to air it in the US, most people won't care, for... certain reasons... I never understood why they just pull the episode entirely, I think having a disclaimer would be a better idea but that's just me.

Siberia sounds interesting, too bad it's NBC and has probably already been cancelled.

is the Star Wars show actually going to be on Disney Channel? because that seems awfully weird since they've basically made it a tween girl network, Disney XD would make more sense.

I was interested in The Strain already, Mia Maestro doesn't hurt.

I think The X Factor is a better show than American Idol, but I don't think any of those new judges should be there, or Demi.. I liked the rumor of Faith Hill better than any reality of choices.
I wish everyone in OK (and elsewhere that's had bad storms/flooding) the best. We're thinking of you.

Yoda as a baby = "George Lucas' Star Wars Babies" (like Jim Henson's The Muppet Babies
Comedy Bang Bang is great... but Bunk was even better and was undeservingly cancelled. Why IFC?
Ohh, Mia Maestro... The Strain seems to be taking form quite nicely.
Gosh, I had completely forgotten about 666 Park Avenue! And I don't care anymore.
I understand why the show was cancelled even though I liked most of it.. It lacked in many departments of the story and the characters development. The remaining episodes, especially episodes 11 and 12 are excellent so worth a watch
Oh, I was enjoying it all right, especially the Kandinsky story line. But ever since they interrupted things, I stopped caring and now it's like an old show I long stopped caring. It's amazing the effect a little interruption (following a catastrophic cancellation, evidently) can have.
ABC did its magic again!
So given the reaction the networks have to airing episodes that have anything to do with r/l events, I would suggest the writers start using lots of galactic alien attacks in all shows to be on the safe side. In all seriousness, yes, everyone sympathizes with the tornado victims but where does the hyper sensitivity stop? Do we ban footage of the damage on news casts to protect the children?
I totally understand where you're coming from, but down here... the news is still going. They are releasing names of those found in the debris as they find them. We aren't going to be watching anything anytime soon, none of the broadcast networks are going to be airing anything else. If there's any other reason beyond sensitivity... it's because some of us actually won't be able to see it aired anyway.

I know you don't care. But... it's just a little bit more perspective, I guess.
TIM, Star Wars Rebels will be airing its premiere 1-hour episode on Disney Channel, but the series will be airing regularly on Disney XD. Also, probably should mention it's aiming for fall of 2014.

I suspected when I saw the description on Mike & Molly it was not going to air. I doubt I'll be with it next season, so I'm not sorry that it went out on a fairly positive note for me in last week's episode (the guys all end up on the roof). Still, it's become too much of a generic "married couple" sitcom for my tastes so it's out, and I doubt the DVR will pick up this rescheduled episode.

Siberia is a fake reality show, because NBC wants to make sure they jump on the "shows canceled years ago" train.
I guess the live-action Star Wars is unofficially dead.
The live-action Star Wars series Lucas had scripts written for is on the back burner, it proved too expensive to produce. Lucasfilm, a Disney company, however says that OTHER live action Star Wars series are not out of the conversation.
or just get the Mike & Molly ep. online. don't quite understand this pulling of shows thing but okay. I think we all know networks base it more about ratings and not trying to be all noble. Very sad what happened and my sympathies go out to all affected.
They pull these shows because it seems in poor taste, people who know of the tragedy see it is exploitative, and people who are living in the aftermath of this tragedy have raw nerves right now. Airing an episode this close to an event is a lose-lose scenario, they're damned if they do and damned if they don't.
I totally agree but to complete your chain of thoughts think about this: isn't the cancellation exploiting the tragedy too? Doesn't the network - by acting against one of its products - count on the growing respect of the people negatively affected by the news coverage of the tragedy? And the people who are living in the aftermath of the tornados are too much in misery to be affected by a bad sitcom. So the execs try to make the lose-lose become a win-win and considering the buzz those decisions bring along they will most probably succeed. That is immoral and heinous. Profiting from the death of children. Pfui!
So I'm against any cancellation of that kind for those reasons. But this leaves us with philosophical questions about the morality of News Corps exploiting the misery of people on one hand and their mission to bring us news of the world we live in on the other.
See? It's SO EASY to just quietly pull content. ;-) (I'd reply to your post below but it's not reply-able because it's max-depth.)
No, I don't think that conclusion holds up. The network isn't beating its chest over how kind and benevolent they are acting towards the victims, they are quietly removing something from schedule. It happens too often to garner respect, and as you can see here, there is backlash.

As for the people in those situations, many of them turn to tv to take their minds off their pain, sometimes it's their only respite. Once you've dug out, there's often days, even weeks, before there's anything else to do.

And consider the cost of shelving an episode in the prime timeslot of May sweeps, they spent a lot of money producing the episode and creating marketing for the finale's release, that's money down the drain, they're not winning the war on costs that way.

I think you're looking for a reason to blame the network for doing something that every other network has had to do in the past.
Well I do hate networks ... but this time I assure you I wasn't just looking for a reason to blame them. *sigh*
This is maybe too serious to be lazy to elaborate my thoughts and I'm surprised you were able to grab anything from my wobbly comment. Sorry, I am going to do the same the networks and film studios are so fond of - I pulled it.
This comment has been removed.
well said
always keeping the victims in mind but please tell me what good have those missing children in a cancelled episode of a series? are they being found sooner by cancelling or something? off course it's awwfull, and hope every single oe of them can be reunited with their families.(currently in the netherlands for work, just heard that a father killed of his two little sons just before killing himself, boys were missing for 2 weeks but here nothing is being cancelled or anything)
Not showing the episode shows sensitivity to the people who are suffering from this tragedy. I don't think I'D want to see a comedy portraying a tornado on the same day more than 50 people died from one. I have admit I'm surprised by how many people are protesting CBS' decision. Have we become that removed from empathy?
comedy bang bang come-dy bang bang comedy bang bang come-dy bang bang
I know that it's not being broadcast everywhere, so maybe details aren't available where you are. But two elementary schools were hit by the tornado during school hours. Both of them were pretty much flattened. Latest news had 30 children still missing... and they stopped calling it a Search & Rescue mission 2 hours ago.

I hope they don't make you guys wait too long for your finale... but I also hope you guys keep the victims in your thoughts.
I just hope CBS will let us know when it will air or what day it see's as "appropriate". But with tornado's a possibility the rest of the spring, summer and into the fall it maybe next season before we see this show. Bad decision CBS. As was said by others....if you find the content offensive don't watch. I know networks are sensitive to what happens in the world but they need to stop walking on egg shells for fear of offending someone or group.
common tim, talk to your bosses haha maybe you can make it happen lol
uhm is this being broadcasted by another station? on the netz there is a new mike and molly, don't really trust it, but if some of you want to make the gamble it is out there...
It was scheduled to air on CityTV in Canada, although I didn't watch it so I can't say if it did.
Give me a break!! I don't think the people in the Midwest...without houses...or power...will be seeing this footage ayways...
tottaly agree! damn then better cancel all the action series from now on then, cause there's always somebody getting shot. dear networks, we are adults, not little wining kids or something, let us decide if its inapropiate or not to watch!
They need to stop canceling shows over random things, if people dont want to watch, they dont have to