News Briefs: Chuck's Ratings Aren't Looking So Good

BIG NEWS

... What's the worst-rated show in primetime among the major networks? It's NBC's Chuck, which hasn't settled in too nicely to its new Friday time slot. Last week's episode, the second of the show's fifth and final season, registered a measly 0.9 rating with 3.10 million viewers. Those are particularly bad numbers when you consider that the season premiere drew a 1.0 rating and 3.42 million viewers but faced stiff competition from Game 7 of the World Series. Chuck was supposed to rebound in Week 2; instead, it lost even more of its audience. What happened to the Subway-eating fans? [TV By the Numbers]

... The People's Choice Awards has announced its nominees for 2012, and Glee tops the list with seven nominations. The Vampire Diaries is second with four nominations, leading me to believe that these so-called "people" are actually 17-year-old girls. Voting is now open, and you can hit the link to check out the nominees at TV Line. [TV Line]

... Regis may be leaving, but Kelly ain't! Kelly Ripa has signed a five-year deal to continue hosting Live! With Regis and Kelly, meaning she'll be waking up early every Monday through Friday until at least 2017. Regis's final episode is November 18, so get that "Goodbye, Regis!" quilt finished and mail it off quick! [Deadline Hollywood]

... Rapper Heavy D passed away today at the age of 44. Mr. D wrote the theme songs for In Living Color and MADtv and appeared on The Tracy Morgan Show and Law & Order: Special Victims Unit. R.I.P. buddy. [TMZ]

... ABC Family has ordered a pilot for Village People and pegged former Beverly Hills, 90210 actress Jennie Garth to star. The comedy follows a high-powered single woman who adopts a baby from a teen mother, and the cop, cowboy, construction worker, Indian, biker, and army guy who live with her. I may or may not have made up that last part, and I apologize for grabbing at the low-hanging fruits. [Deadline Hollywood]

... TLC has ordered a show called D.U.I., which is like COPS, but with specific focus on drunk drivers. Look for the first half-dozen episodes to start swerving back and forth next month. [TLC, via press release]

CASTING NEWS

... TNT has announced a few guest stars for the next season of Franklin & Bash. The legal drama will welcome Jane Seymour as the MILF who birthed Bash (Mark Paul Gosselaar), Peter Weller (Robocop) as an aging rock star, and Beau Bridges, who will reprise his role as the DILF who co-created Franklin (Breckin Meyer). [TV Line]

... Emilie de Ravin is taking advantage of knowing the right people and will guest-star on ABC's Once Upon a Time. The Aussie actress, best known for playing Claire "MY BABY" Littleton on Lost, will portray Belle of Beauty and the Beast fame. Look for her in Episode 12. Alan Dale, who played Charles Widmore on Lost, is also dropping by as a guest star. [TV Guide]

... Miguel Ferrer (Robocop) will recur on CBS's NCIS: LA as the assistant director of NCIS. [Deadline Hollywood]

... Two and a Half Men has cast Walden's mom! Mimi Rogers will appear in at least two episodes as Ashton Kutcher's character's mother, a noted primatologist. [Deadline Hollywood]

... Wilmer Valderrama, Ashton Kutcher's old pal from That '70s Show, is dropping by Suburgatory. He'll play a new-age guru who provides spiritual and sexual healing to the ladies of the 'burbs. Valderrama also stars in NBC's Awake, which is supposed to premiere in 2012. [TV Guide]

JUST STOP IT ALREADY NEWS

... Jim and Michelle Duggar, the stars of TLC's 19 Kids and Counting, are about to give the people who designed the show's logo another round of revisions: Michelle is pregnant again. The new Baby Duggar will increase the couple's brood to an even 20 kids. Do you think her gynecologist wears a wet suit at this point? [People]

When a show with a small but loyal fanbase maintains the same timeslot for 4 years, then gets moved to one of the worst timeslots possible, of course it's going to have terrible ratings.
meanwhile Eddie Murphy quit the oscars just to play Donkey on on ABC's Once Upon a Time !
I love Chuck but two episodes in and I'm already annoyed. You'd think that bringing in Carrie-Anne Moss would boost the ratings but clearly there's something wrong with the recipe, and what's wrong with the recipe is Morgan as the intersect. His oafishness was endearing in the first 4 seasons but his incompetence in season 5 is just annoying.

What disappoints me the most is the fact that this is the last season of the show and it's off to such a bad start. I hope it picks up.
I have never liked Morgan. I can't stand those characters who do stupid things and then "Oh, I'm sorry, shucks". I would have probably killed him along time ago.
I like Chuck but even as a fan, I must admit that this season is not so good. Like I said right after last season, that focusing on Morgan is a bad idea. I like the three main actors, Zach Levi, Yvonne Strahovski and Adam Baldwin, and I really hope that they get more gigs after Chuck.

I'm a fan of 19 Kids and I don't care how "Jesus Campy" it is. I'm so happy for Michelle Duggar and I hope nothing but good health.
NBC might as well run the episodes. They likely have enough product placement sponsorship to cover the costs and may have already sold all the ad space so they don't need to worry about ratings. Besides, they'll break the 100 episode mark this year which will help with syndication revenues. And it was NBC that chose to move the show to a Friday; they likely wouldn't have done that if they really cared about the ratings and I doubt they really have anything else to put in it's slot. Still, this season has the feeling of an anti-climax. Last season probably should have been it's last.
actually liked the first episode of this season on chuck much better than what i was expecting.. hope all will b fixed next episode apart from morgan the other parts were an improvement from last seasons end
Chuck's ratings don't matter for renewal, as it's the last season. Odd how all the fans disappeared though.

And good god lady, get a hobby.
It's interesting that you referenced Robocop for Miguel Ferrer and Peter Weller rather than their TV work, especially Ferrer, who was on Crossing Jordan, since this is a TV site. And it would have been interesting to see what Grimm's second episode ratings were in the Chuck item.
Have to agree, so far this season of Chuck has been pretty disappointing, the only interesting bit was finding out the intersect is eroding Morgan's mind, and that wasnt until the end of the 2nd episode.

Let's hope it's just a slow start and not a taste of what's to come.
If I were writing the final season of Chuck I would have gone all out with a huge, gigantic, epic thirteen-episode-long storyline that bashed status quos in the head and served up shocking twists every hour. I mean, why not? You almost never get this kind of chance in Hollywood; the chance to make a real true ending well in advance. I know this Morgan thing isn't gonna last, and it's ruining his character to boot.....why are they still wasting time? They only have eleven episodes left!
Looking forward to Emilie de Ravin in Once Upon a Time. Sounds like a perfect fit; and I'm curious to see the Beast (hopefully we will? and not as the prince!).

Not surprised about Chuck - but it's the last season so I guess we fans don't have to worry about it being cancelled? xD
with chuck I'm not surprised at all. I don't like it with Morgan having the intersect.

All the cool moves Chuck had with the intersect, the fun with it is now gone.

Now Morgan is on his way of loosing his mind, so what are they planning to do?

I keep hoping, Morgan puts on the intersect glasses and then it is removed from his head back in to the glasses so Chuck can put it back on. Hope that happens soon!
The mistake the Chuck writers keep making is taking the show somewhere the fans don't want to go and then pulling a "PSYCHE!" Chuck lost the Intersect..."PSYCHE!" The Buy More is blown to smithereens..."PSYCHE!" Ellie and Awesome are moving to Africa..."PSYCHE!" Casey is a civilian..."PSYCHE!" Sarah is moving to Rome with Superman..."PSYCHE!" Sarah and Chuck are quitting the spy business..."PSYCHE!" And now Morgan is the Intersect is the worst "PSYCHE!" of all. I mean, I'm sure they'll do what they always do and go "Just kidding! Here we're taking the Intersect out of Morgan and putting it back in Chuck where you all want it to be. But we had you going for a minute there, didn't we?" The problem with that is the diehard fans keep watching even though they don't like where things are going (or appear to be going). But less diehard fans just stop watching, they don't wait to see if the writers are going to put things back the way the fans want them. And Morgan as the Intersect was a direction so many fans didn't want to see the show go in, they just didn't bother to tune in again for season 5. I did even though I don't want Morgan to be the Intersect, but I had a hard time restraining myself from changing the channel during the last episode. Had they played it for laughs for a few episodes and then put it back in Chuck, fine. But trying to do this dramatic story with it has just made Morgan insufferable. I hope they put it back in Chuck quick, and it looks like that's what they'll do in the next episode.
yeah season four had so many unnecessary twists thrown into it that it left me feeling that they don't want to go off into dangerous territory with their characters. I mean it would have been interesting to see chuck trek to Africa to save his brother in law and sister. It would have been great if Volkov had shown his true insanity and taken out some one close to chuck, I mean the show needed to evolve and it only became Immature.

I'm a fan and it's a hard truth to take in but season four left me truly wanting more involving intricate adventures and a darker turn to chuck's world.
I absolutely LOVED "Chuck" and stayed with it up until just after the mid-point in season 4, where they'd found Mom, brought her back to be with the family, Chuck & Sarah were in love and getting married, and all of our other beloved characters were in situations where we could reasonable be sure they'd be having happily ever after lives. The episode had been shot before the producers knew if they were getting the full season order or not, and so they wrote it to serve either as a stepping stone in the story or as a series finale - and it worked exceptionally well as a series finale. Then they got more episodes and suddenly all this stuff that had been so nicely put together had to get shookup again, and it wasn't handled well. I think I saw maybe 2 or 3 episodes after it came back from the mid-season break, but it just wasn't the same show anymore :(
Mama Duggart must have the body of a superwoman. Wow. I for one wish her all the best!
When you run a daycare or babysitting service, the law requires that there is one adult for every 4 children...20 kids and 2 parents...does not compute!
yes, obviously the Duggars aren't a daycare facility but I think we all know what Spam meant. It's irresponsible of the parent to bring an excess amount of children into the world that they can't possibly care for. Leaving the younger ones to the older children is wrong. Those older children deserve to be kids too not surrogate parents for their siblings. Watching your brothers and sisters once in awhile while Mom and Dad are out is one thing but that is not the case. And considering the woman and her last child almost died you'd think she'd give pause to another child. not to mention the fact that this world is overpopulated as it is!!!! People are the biggest cause of all of our environmental issues.

PS, maybe if the woman left the house more instead of staying inside she'd realize that she (and her daughters) have more options in the world than just "have 20 children and stay home".
The fact that she had so far 18? healthy kids means nothing? I know women who had very late (8-9) months miscarriages with their first child, should they just give up? Sure they are extreme but I guess the Duggars children have it better than many other in the world.
yes "daycare" or "babysitting service" not a family unit.
Yes but that's how many people it takes to properly take care of a number of children (physically and mentally). Hence why it's the law for daycares. The Duggars are only 2 parents; they can't properly care for 20 children on their own. They relay on their older children to parent to the extreme.
Heh, my parents have 5 kids and horror! We have all been alone with only one parent present and sometimes without any of them! What are we to do? Get rid of the youngest?
20 is a whole lot different than 5 LOL.
With Chuck, i'm about one or two more crappy episodes away from pretending that this season and the last five minutes of last season never happened. I think that they could have left Chuck on a high note last season and called it good.
Don't really care about the ratings as it is the final season, so we will get an ending at least. What the ratings do reflect however is the quality of this season so far, it really isn't what it used to be. Hope it will have a good ending at least.
I think Michelle Duggar's gynecologist is on speed-dial at this point. My vagina hurts for her...
Heavy D was also on Bones, season 1. He ran the Chinese restaurant that they ate at before the Diner showed up in season 2.
1- I really think that most of Chuck fans are not from the US.

2- i really liked every episode of Chuck till the beginning of this season at least .. i really disliked it, i don't know why but it kinda felt wrong :S
Kind of sad that the american ratings for Chuck don't reflect its world wide following. On the pirate bay its in the Top 100 downloads. That's pretty f***ing great for a TV show.
if only some of those pirates would actually watch the show legitimately perhaps.
With all the product placement in tv shows these days, producers still get their advertising hits.
I can't, they do not broadcast Chuck here... Also no Terra Nova, No breaking bad, no Homeland, nothing! Only stupid talent shows like The Voice or X factor. I am like a Somalian TV pirate, I do not want to do it but I have no choice!

But I just watched the second episode of chuck and the magic is gone. The great story line in season 2 was the best they had. Then the show slowly declined. The story is completely unbelievable now. Strahovski is still looking great though :)
I think Terra Nova is on Sky (spits) which is no good for us Murdoch boycotters.
NBC wouldn't cancel a final season would they?

I am sorry by 20 kids..........that's just disgusting. and bordering on child abuse. Her reproductive system must be severely damaged by now. Its only a matter of time until she miscarries or a baby is born with serious birth defects. I'm sure we'll all find it a hilarious show to watch then.
My issue with 20 kids is not what happens to HER body, but how on earth she can give the kind of attention you need to provide to a child for it to be emotionally healthy.

That is child abuse just as much. neglect.
Not to mention the effects it has on the environment. Also how they are raising their girls to want to only be wives and having tons of babies too.
Does it really matter how low the ratings are on Chuck? What are they going to cancel a show in it's final season??
People have stopped watching Chuck because they have finally realised how terrible the acting is.
I enjoyed Chuck the first season, but even then it was a limited concept. Basically give a bumbling geek the Intersect, and watch Chuck blunder to success. After the first season they've been stretching to change their formula. But giving Morgan the intersect is just plain stupid. I've been skimming through the episodes and am thankful that the previews for next week make it look like Morgan will hopefully lose the intersect. But the first two episodes have been awful, not only is Morgan the intersect they lose all their money. GRRR

In all honestly the limited scope of Chuck makes me concerned for New Girl. How long can she be zany and it be original and funny. The guys either just accept it or move out.
if you remember back to Dharma and Greg, not that long at all (though it seemed like that show was on forever!).
well its called the friday death slot for a reason plus isn't it up against Fringe? I watch everything online so I don't know.
I have always thought that Chuck was boring!
seriously, i tried to watch the first season multiple times and it kept putting me to sleep
This is what happens when you move a show from Monday to Fridays.
Two words: Friday and Morgan.

But like someone said, it's the last season anyway.
Damn Joe Frazier and Heavy D in the same week, what a bummer. R.I.P
you put a show on friday night, you;re signing its death warrant, and in any case chuck is on its last season. i always loved chuck but i think it makes sense, they;ve done almost all they could do. chuck liked sarah, sarah didnt like chuck, sarah liked chuck but denied it while chuck chased other girls, sarah liked shaw, chuck liked sarah, chuck and sarah finally got together, they got married, and everyone else;s lives are at a good point; ellie and awesome have a baby, casey has his daughter whose dating morgan. i just hope chuck ends on a good note.

and on another note, those damn duggars need to be sterilized... like yesterday
Firstly, this is Chuck's final season, so who cares about the ratings! It's not like it's fighting to get renewed again.

Secondly, to all of you who have a problem with Morgan being the Intersect - THAT'S THE POINT! You aren't supposed to like him being the Intersect! He's not suited for the role and it's playing havoc with his brain, even the characters on the show can see that. It's called dramatic tension, people!

Personally, I rather liked the first two episodes of this season. I particularly loved the conclusion of the first episode with the "GUYS, DON'T LEAVE ME, I HAVE A PLAN!" video and the second episode's conclusion with "who's Luke Skywalker?". Say what you want about the episodes but they've set up that Morgan is in dire trouble and Chuck is the only one who can save him. Sounds like an entertaining season ahead to me...
Nobody is watching Chuck because we have jobs on Friday night. Or maybe that's just me. Either way, the show didn't become what I wanted anyway so meh, to it and it's final season. Chuck should have lost the intersect by the end of the third season and then spent the entire fourth season learning how to be a bad ass spy on his own. I get that he's supposed to be loveable and clumsy, but he still could have been taught some cool moves as well.

I agree, Morgan sux as the intersect. His character isnt funny. I am watching this season because I have been a loyal Chuck fan. But if Morgan remains the intersect, I am glad this is the final season.
A 5 year contract seems like a long time for Live with Kelly. They don't know how it's going to do without Regis. I don't know; I dont' watch it haha.

The Duggars are disgusting. Just because you CAN get pregnant doesn't mean you should. They are worse than rabbits. The older kids have to parent the younger ones. You'd think she'd stop considering her and her last baby almost died...
Also, Yvonne's new haircut downgraded her hotness level.

I never thought it was possible but there it is...
The storyline of Chuck got very weird. The Chuck and Sarah thing ended up being hurried and now the writers are trying their best to come up with something good to delay their happily ever after.

Keep trying. Maybe you're on to something now from what the teasers have shown...
Nobody's watching Chuck because nobody likes Morgan as the intersect. I'm glad it's the last season, it was good season 1 and has gone down in good each season.. I love Suburgatory, but i really don't like Wilmer Valderrama.. and good for Emilie de Ravin, she might be best known for playing Claire but i'll always remember her from Roswell :p
Listen, its the final season for Chuck. NBC knew that Friday was kind of the dead zone anyway so they decided to park the final season there. At least fans are getting a final season and will hopefully get a decent ending to the show. Granted, the Morgan storyline has gotten off to a slow start but now things seem to be picking up a bit more.
Well, first off, Chuck's ratings were never that good in previous seasons. NBC then decided that maybe it'll get better on Friday? Stupid.

Secondly, the two episodes so far this season have been really boring. I agree with everyone previous: Morgan as the intersect suuuuucks. I also find almost every character to be getting annoying.

I was planning on watching this season to the end due to it being the final season, but I'm starting to lose my will in doing so. I don't even get excited anymore when Yvonne (Sarah) breaks out the lingerie :(
Depriving us (male) fans the excitement of seeing Yvonne Strahovski in lingerie, is the greatest Chuck related tragedy of them all.
Not being able to enjoy Yvonne like this will truly be a great loss to humanity when the show ends. But if I remember correctly - which I'm pretty sure I do since the image is burned in my memory forever - Yvonne did already showcase one lingerie ensemble in the first episode of this season. So luckily we're not completely deprived of her beauty, yet.
Chuck lost me after season 2. Now he is a wimpy, pu##y whipped guy! "I want to buy you the house you deserve!" Give me a break! Kill it and put it out of its misery! And the time slot has nothing to do with it, its just not good!
You're right, a husband wanting to do something nice like give his wife her dream house is just ridiculous. What the hell kind of example is that to set? He should be beating her every night and passing her around to his friends.

Honestly.
Fonzie set a television benchmark when he "jumped the shark" on water-skis. Henceforth, when any television show did something of equal spectacular stupidity, it was referred to as jumping the shark. Making Morgan the intersect was so unbelievably moronic, it should become the new benchmark. I decree "jumping the shark" be replaced by "intersecting the Morgan".
I'm totally using that from now on...a "jumping the shark" for a new generation! :o)
Of course Chuck's ratings are down. For one they put it on friday which is death for most shows. 2, what the heck happened to ondemand, it is going up against Nikita which is hopefully getting to the meat of the story and Chuck is winding down. And 3 the show is called Chuck, not Morgan I could barely stand Morgan's character in the previous season I don't want to see him as the intersect. Simple fix either de-intersect Morgan and re-intersect chuck or intersect Chuck and they both can go super spy on people. That was a horrible move by the writing staff. Morgan is good as a sidekick and good as backup and comedy relief for Casey. But as the intersect I just can't buy it. Oh and since I mentioned Buy, get rid of the morons at the Buy More. Lester and Jeff, I have never liked those characters and they keep getting worse and creepier every season.
I have been a loyal viewer of Chuck since the beginning. But after these first two lackluster episodes I am finished with the series. I honestly hope NBC pulls the plug on it and the rest of the season does NOT air on TV. Giving Morgan the Intersect was the biggest mistake the writers have made. The only way I will start watching again (if NBC doesn't pull the plug) is when I read on here that the Intersect was removed from Morgan and was back in Chuck.
I second that agreement. I'm just continuing to watch cause it's the last season. But Morgan as the Intersect is just awful.
I agree with him not being the intersect any more, and Morgan as a main role sucks, but who cares about ratings, this is the last season. Also all shows on NBC have terrible ratings, which has been happening for the entire exsistence of Chuck. Nbc's ruling parie's suck.
I think Chuck is losing it fans mainly because he's not the intersect anymore. Morgan was ok even though annoying as the friend but for him to be the intersect, I lost all interest.