News Briefs: Claire Holt Joins The CW's Vampire Diaries Spin-off

LET'S START WITH CASTING NEWS TODAY

... The CW's spin-off of The Vampire Diaries is keeping its originals for The Originals. Claire Holt has signed on to reprise her role as Rebekah, Klaus's vampy sister. She joins Joseph Morgan, Daniel Gillies, and Phoebe Tonkin as the core four. [Deadline Hollywood]

... Private Practice star KaDee Strickland has joined NBC's pilot Bloodline. The drama follows a girl caught between a pair of feuding families in the modern suburbs. Strickland will play the girl's mom. Oh, and she's destined to be killed by her daughter. [TV Guide]

... Nick Gomez, who played sneaky con Tomas on The Walking Dead, will next appear on Dexter. He'll play a hitman who tangles with Deb. [TV Line]

... CBS's drama pilot Hostages is putting together quite the formidable cast. Dylan McDermott, recently seen chopping people up and masturbating in American Horror Story, has landed the male lead in the series opposite Toni Collette, who plays a surgeon who's ordered to operate on the president but ends up getting wrapped in a crazy conspiracy that somehow involves the kidnapping of her family. McDermott will play an FBI agent. Whether or not he masturbates on office furniture is TBD but I'm leaning yes. [Deadline Hollywood]

... That dancing maniac Jennifer Beals has signed on to the ABC drama pilot Venice. She'll play the matriarch of a family in this modern-day take on Romeo & Juliet. [Deadline Hollywood]

... Virginia Madsen has joined NBC's update on the classic tale of the Hatfields and the McCoys, cleverly titled Hatfields & McCoys. She'll play the momma of the McCoys. [TV Guide]

I'D LIKE TO SEE THIS SHOW NEWS

... AMC is developing an adaptation of the Dan Simmons novel The Terror, a very scary book! Set in 1847, the show would follow a Royal Navy expedition as it explores the arctic, but instead finds a very scary monster that wants to eat everyone! This sounds very scary and I want it now! [Deadline Hollywood]

BUSINESS TIME

... ABC Family has scooped up two more reality shows, Dancing Fools and The Vineyard. There are no details on Dancing Fools except that it's an unscripted comedy hosted by Baby Daddy star Melissa Peterman, but given the title Dancing Fools I'm going to take a guess and say it will feature people wearing dunce caps. The Vineyard stinks of MTV, with a group of 20-somethings living in Martha's Vineyard and groping each other near a pile of empty Corona Light bottles and discarded capri pants. Both shows are set for a summer debut. [ABC Family via press release]

... Prepare to kill yourselves, because VH1 has ordered Wicked Single, a reality show that follows young Bostonites looking for love. Of course it airs March 17, St. Patrick's Day, so grab your green Red Sox cap, put it on backwards, and drive off a cliff. [VH1 via press release]

... Everyone else is using this line, so I may as well too. The Jeff Probst Show has been voted off the island after one season. [Deadline Hollywood]

... Ryan Seacrest has teamed with A & E for a docu-series titled Montecito. Set in the California town, it will follow rich ladies who might be getting more than dancing lessons from their ballroom dancing coaches if you know what I mean. (I mean boning.) Look for six episodes later this year. [THR]

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter if you want to: @TimAtTVDotCom

Finally a h2o reunion now clarie can be as big as Phoebe is
Your punch lines have some kick to them. Me likey.
now with Claire joining the cast, I might give it a try!!
With Claire and Phoebe now slated to appear on The Originals, I'm hoping that they get to have some scenes together so that we can have an H20 REUNION!!! Oh and they need to add Cariba Heine to the mix.
Removing all the Originals from TVD will kill it. I guess they are doing it to open up roles for new characters when TVD goes to college but it feels like that will be the death of the show especially if plot lines revolve around frat parties and life on a college campus. They're all vampires its not exactly a coming of age story
their is always a bad guy waiting in the shadows, or in this case a Bad Witch aka Bonnie the TVD will go on, just like CSI went on without Grissom, CSI is just as good!!
I've never seen a TV news list I cared about less.
Rebekah being the female lead in a show is just the best! She needs to be on my TV for many years to come.
I will likely pay people to watch the VD spin-off to improve ratings just to keep Joseph Morgan/Klaus and Daniel Gillies/Elijah on my TV.
"CBS's drama pilot Hostages is putting together quite the formidable cast. Dylan McDermott, recently seen chopping people up and masturbating in American Horror Story, has landed the male lead in the series opposite Toni Collette, who plays a surgeon who's ordered to operate on the president but ends up getting wrapped in a crazy conspiracy that somehow involves the kidnapping of her family. McDermott will play an FBI agent. Whether or not he masturbates on office furniture is TBD but I'm leaning yes. "

That was a perfect choice for a Spooky Mulder picture. :)
Holy crap Claire Holt is from that show on Teennick H20 (don't judge me lol)!
So was Phoebe Tonkin :P
way to go Clare!!! now I can't wait for the spin-off to happen, hope real soon! I don't give a damn about TVD...
Personally I think the spinoff sounds like a bad idea. I just think they should kill Klaus and continue to give Rebekah more of a personality on TVD. Since Rebekah is one of my favorites on TVD, this will also lessen my interest in that show. The only thing I'm curious about is how they're going to make Klaus a main character on a show? It's interesting because it doesn't seem to make sense. I'm wondering what these characters are going to DO on the show. They don't seem to have any goals in their lives, and there's currently no threat to them.
Originally there was supposed to be a "companion show" to the Vampire Diaries, set in the same world, centering around a university and mysterious goings-on. That's what I wanted to happen. A whole show about a family that hates each other and can't die? I also don't see where they go with that. The original companion concept had the advantage of being able to fill out the Vampire Diaries universe, expand the mythology, etc. This just seems like Vampire Diaries 2.0 minus any purely "good" characters or the love triangle. I'll admit I was disappointed when I heard about this idea.
I'm suffering from the same conundrum. I love Rebekah so much and want Claire to star in her own show but I also know her leaving will make me MUCH less interested in TVD seeing as her beautiful face is the main reason I can't wait to watch. It also means less Stebekah which equals sadface.
Well, I completely agree with you!!! Rebekah is one of my favourites too, and the last 2 seasons of TVD lived intensely every scene she had...however, disappointment and treachery followed her like a plague everywhere - every single character betraying her...and i guess nothing better can happen from now on, I don't trust any of them to treat her the way she needs. A new show with her,Klaus and Elijah as main characters can be the fresh start we most probably won't have the chance to ever see in TVD. Who knows what this show can bring? I say let's be positive 'bout it!
After the success of Hatfields & McCoys miniseries it was a matter of time before they remake it in our days
simmons "terror" is brilliant! please, please don`t let them mess it up!
Bloodlines... Venice... Hatfields & McCoys...

The trend this year seems to be feuding families. Joy.
If they revive Kol and he joins the show as well it may become a better show than The Vampire Diaries. I mean, it's possible even without him but I want him back.
Why? He was super boring.
He was a background character among all the other Originals plus the main cast in few episodes, so had little to say or do to be developed. In his recent episodes, he was written to stand out more, but killed off before any possible further development. I think he had potential to be the Damon equivalent of the Originals, plus he would have appealed to that young, and female, demographic CW likes and wants so much. He may have had potential and importance to Originals history and could have been a source for more stories based on him. Unfortunately, we may never know unless he is somehow resurrected. That, or he could be brought back in flashbacks, which seems most likely now anyway.
You know you're old when Jennifer Beals is now playing a MATRIARCH!!!!!!!!
ARGGGGGHHHH!
She's older than Jasmine Guy was when she played the grandmother of a 20-year-old actress on TVD. She looks impossibly good for her age though.
What took so long to sign Holt up? Seems like a no-brainer. Now resurrect Kol, as I think killing him was a huge mistake. Curious to see how Tonkin is going to fit in to this. It seems an odd decision to have her. She's barely been on TVD and has had no scenes with Holt that I know of, but have not seen the latest episode.
It's a casting decision... she's young, beautiful, talented and becoming popular (the only real standout in the Secret Circle). It makes sense to have Tonkin... whether it makes sense to have her VD character in this show is another question.
Now that the originals has both Claire Holt and Joseph Morgan it will be amazing!!! Poor tvd...it may suffer now
If they get Matt as well then they may have the more appealing cast in my opinion.
Matt's the most boring character on TVD....now that Jeremy has *something* going on.
I want my Matt and Rebekah relationship. Do not take that from me.
haha sorry I have to agree with tnetennba, Matt holds no interest for me....sometimes I forgot he's part of the cast! (sorry!!) I think if the originals move to their own show, maybe it'll finally give Matt the opportunity for some actual character development and plotlines. However for now, he is pretty boring. Also loving Rebekah and Stefan atm! but matt and rebekah were cute back in the day ;)
"The Originals" is stacking up quite a nice cast. Now, let the shows be like the first two seasons of "Angel" and let them interact with each other, because who needs to see these wonderful people disappearing completely from TVD?
*raising fists over head* Claire Holt! (I don't know her, but I couldn't let this opportunity pass.)
I bet Probst made CBS give him a talk show in order to keep him on Survivor. He's a pretty weird guy so it's no surprise his show was canceled.
Yay! Yay! Yay for The Originals. :) Not saying I'd rather have her there than on TVD, but if she's part of the core cast, she won't be written off like she might be from TVD, so YAY! Ok, I haven't really been paying attention, 'cause I'm a spaz. . . but I didn't know that Elijah was for sure gonna be part of the cast either, so super yay!!

Seriously, I'm fine with the actress and all, but I can't see a point to Phoebe Tonkin's character being around with these others, and I wish they'd forget about it. Eew, and she better not get all relationshippy with Klaus. Gross.
wow you read my mind,... I don't have anything against Tonkin but I just do not see the point of her,... but maybe they have something exciting for her,... and that better not be a love interest for Klaus,... the moment that happens I'm out,... Klaus can have two options,... be with Caroline or be alone,... ;))
I wouldn't mind if she were recurring or something on either show, she doesn't have to fall off the face of the earth, but seriously, how can they justify having her in every episode interacting with the Originals? I can't imagine why they'd be interested in a young werewolf who pretty much tricked Klaus into killing all of his hybrids, and I can't imagine why she'd want to spend time with them either. And her character is not likeable, since she betrayed Tyler and was willing to sacrifice a bunch of hybrids who considered her a friend just to find/resurrect her parents. She was almost as responsible for Tyler's mom's death as Klaus. So yeah, I don't see a friendship between her and the Originals. . . and she wouldn't be a formidable enemy to them, either. They could kill her in a second. Which seems to only leave some sort of attraction to tie them together. Which eeww!

As to your last sentence, I kind of agree. I'm not exactly rooting for Klaus and Caroline to set up house or anything, but their flirtation is something "special". You get the feeling that Klaus doesn't run around getting a big crush every twenty years or something. It seems like for him, his feelings for Caroline are one one of a kind . I want him to continue to pine for her, and I want there to be some cross-overs so we can continue to see his love for her, whether or not she ever reciprocates it. I don't want to see him fall for anyone else, because that would imply that this major crush he's had over the past couple years wasn't anything special for him. So I want him alone or with Caroline too. . . though mostly alone WANTING Caroline. If he manages to steal a kiss from her at some point. . . Or if Tyler gets murdered and he HAS to comfort her. . . ;) Oh my god, they're so cute on screen together!

Hmm, I was just thinking, maybe the reason for Klaus to hang out with Phoebe could be something FOR Caroline? Like a favor she asks him to do? That might be a way that he could put up with her without KILLING or LIKING her, and a reason for him to think of/mention Caroline more often? Or maybe she could be posessed by some super powerful being so that she actually IS a formidable enemy for them? I don't know, but the writers better not have visions of relationships between Phoebe and Klaus dancing through their heads!
More +
I was going to thumb-up your comment, until I saw the last line. I hate the idea of Klaus and Caroline. It makes less sense to me than anything else on that show.
Haha, that's really saying something. Less sense than ANYTHING ELSE. ;) Hahahaha.
really ? why? ( I am really interested to know,... i am not whining )
I understand,... the fact is as @madelynn1984 stated very perfectly I prefer him loving Caroline without getting her,... because she is the only person that brings out his caring and loving side,... though I will never agree to a relationship like this in real life,... there is something very romantic about a man who is lost cause and a woman trying to bring him out of his self-loathing and self-destructive ways,...
You can't put the two of them together without writing her as a person who's OK with her boyfriend being not just a murderer, but one of the worst mass murderers in history, a psychopath who thinks humans are so far beneath him that he has absolutely no regard for human life or human suffering. I still like Caroline, but this would completely ruin the character.
Dan SImmons' book is a complete ripoff of the non-fiction book "The Franklin Conspiracy", in the same way The Da Vinci Code ripped off Holy Blood, Holy Grail.
"so grab your green Red Sox cap, put it on backwards, and drive off a cliff."

best. line. ever.
I'll miss Rebekah in TVD. Now the whole show will rest on Caroline's shoulders.
YES! Now I know it's gonna be awesome. Bex is my fav character