News Briefs: Comedy Central Schedules John Oliver's Daily Show Takeover

THE BRITISH ARE COMING

... The Daily Show correspondent John Oliver—yes, Professor Duncan himself—will be taking over for Jon Stewart as host of The Daily Show while Stewart engages in some summer hobby of making thought-provoking human-interest films. Look for Oliver to occupy Stewart's chair for eight weeks beginning on June 10, when his guests for the first week include Seth Rogen, Armando Iannucci, and Mavis Staples. Stewart, who is using the time off to direct the feature film Rosewater, will return September 3. [Comedy Central via press release]

BUSINESS TIME

... Grimm's first Tuesday night was a good one. The supernatural procedural debuted in its new time slot last night and pulled in 5.77 million viewers and a 1.9 rating among the 18-49ers. That's better than the so-called "super hit" Revolution, which drew 5.49 million viewers and a 1.8 rating in the same demo the night before for a series low. [TV By the Numbers]

... The Young and the Restless leads this year's Daytime Emmy Awards nominations with 23, helping CBS become the most nominated network with 50. The Young and the Restless will battle The Bold and the Beautiful, General Hospital, Days of Our Lives, and One Life to Live for Outstanding Drama Series. Great! That's all the time I have for Daytime Emmy Awards, so if you want to see all the nominations, follow the link. [TV Guide]

... Add Meredith Vieira to the list of people giving a daytime talk show a shot. The Today and The View vet is filming a pilot for a chatter show that is being produced by NBCUniversal with an aim at syndication in 2014. [Deadline Hollywood

... CNN has renewed Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown for a second season, a reminder that Anthony Bourdain has a show on CNN. [Deadline Hollywood]

... Adult Swim has acquired the off-network rights to Fox's Bob's Burgers. The first three seasons of the underrated and underappreciated show will start airing on Adult Swim this summer. Anything to get more eyeballs for Bob's is good by me. [Deadline Hollywood]

CASTING NEWS

... Tom Berenger will guest-star in the first three episodes of TNT's Major Crimes, the spinoff of The Closer starring Mary McDonnell. Hatfield & McCoys' Beregner, a film vet with Platoon and Major League in his credits, will play Captain Sharon Raydor's (McDonnell) estranged husband who ditched lawyering for gambling. Major Crimes returns for Season 2 in June. Previously, Berenger almost joined Fox's pilot Gang Related, but left after the first table read. [TNT via press release]

... JAG's Catherine Bell has booked a multi-episode arc on TNT's upcoming drama King & Maxwell. The drama stars Rebecca Romijn and Jon Tenney as private eyes. Bell will play the former flame of Tenney's character. Sorry, I bet you were hoping she'd play the former flame of Romijn's character, weren't you? [EW]

... British actor Gary Carr is joining PBS's Downton Abbey in Season 4. "Big deal," you say. Well, Carr is BLACK so whoa, yeah, people are kind of making a big deal out of this. But now that I think about it, why is it a big deal? Let's stop making a big deal out of small deals, people. Black people existed in England in the 1920s! Sheesh. Anyway, he'll play Jazz singer Jack Ross. [EW]

I like John Oliver more than Jon Stewart. Keep Oliver!
Good news about Grimm & Bob's Burgers.
Bob's Burgers is a good show that gets lost amongst The Simpsons and the Seth MacFarlane shows.
And Bob's Burgers continues its' upward climb.
TNT, what is your obsession with duo procedurals? King and Maxwell? Franklin & Bash? Rizzoli & Isles? Perception? Am I the only one who noticed this?

Also, props to Adult Swim. Bob's Burger is a gem.
I am so happy for Bob and his Burgers!
I didnt realize it only took 8 weeks to direct a film. Is it usually that quick? #TheDailyShow
The actual filming part usually is yes. It's the whole pre production and post production part that takes long, and that part doesn't need to move around and freeze all your time.
Well the hell are you hashtagging to?
They're hashtagging for the sake of it. Happens on Facebook all the time.
This fall on TNT: King & Maxwell & Rizzoli & Isles & Franklin & Bash.
is it weird that I'm kind of outraged you called it PBS' Downton Abbey?
Catherine Bell was the one in Bruce Almighty, right? Gotta check out that show...
She was also on the TV series "JAG" for like 9 years. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0004738/?ref_=tt_cl_t3

She's still looking good, but back then... wow.
John Oliver is great, I can't understand why Comedy Central doesn't do more of his "John Oliver's New York Stand Up Show" series, it's the best. That said, how does 8 weeks get us to September? That's August, I guess we also suffer a month's worth of reruns.

Adult Swim has Bob's Burgers? That'll be confusing, it's like everybody from the AS gang leaves to do a big network show only to have it return to AS. Surprised Comedy Central didn't pick it up, seems like they need a Doctor Katz type of show right now.

I met Catherine Bell at the Souplantation in Beverly Hills, it's right down the street from CBS Television City, she's a might darker complexion in person than on TV, still stunning though. I was at that Souplantation just today for lunch, only they moved it 1 space over in the mall it's in. The point of that story is that actors on JAG are just like you or me.
Are you saying Bob's Burgers was on Adult Swim, left for FOX, and is now returning to Adult Swim is confusing? When was it on Adult Swim to begin with? Wasn't it always on FOX?

AS is doing what they did for Family Guy and MacFarlane's other shows. Somewhat ironically, FOX is sort of doing its own Adult Swim this summer.
My apologies, I can see how it reads that way, but it's not meant to. The show, Bob's Burgers, started on Fox. I meant only that the talent from the show - voices and writers - a lot of them came from other Adult Swim stuff.

I'll be surprised if Fox's ADHD makes a dent, but hopefully it works out and puts Adult Swim back on its A-game, they've been kinda lazy lately.
I always prefer to see [as] get the rights to animated fare versus CC. [as] just seems to treat its shows with more respect, a prime example being *always* showing the full closing credits, something that's become a true rarity on virtually every other network, at least in the US. They even occasionally *restore* some original scenes to first-run Family Guy episodes that Fox made the show substitute for less "offensive" bits.

So I'm glad to see BB land on [as]. (And yes, I'm having fun doing all these initialisms.) It's just one more reason to keep them close by as my late-night buddy. [as]'s re-running of old Family Guy episodes was one of the two main reasons why Fox resurrected the show. Hopefully, the same type of thing will happen with BB and spur some new viewers to watch new episodes on Fox that hadn't been watching it before. Anything that brings up the Belchers' numbers on Fox would be great.

I'm not sure I agree with your assessment of them being all that lazy lately. I thoroughly enjoyed the semi-recent Newsreaders and have been pleasantly surprised with the very recent Your Pretty Face Is Going to Hell. Loiter Squad, however, has seen a sharp decline in quality in its second season, and that's saying something given how half-assed its first season was. I don't think that one has earned the right to survive to a third. But I don't blame that on [as] as much I do its writers and performers.

Okay, enough of my blather.
More +
Well, at least I'm confident that TVB will be back at all. Seeing an actual snippet from an upcoming episode in that recent ad really made my day. The message board at [as] indicated that they're all ready to air; they moved back the premiere just as a scheduling thing, not a production delay.
Commenting is at least one level too short, that's for sure.

Yeah, I wasn't actually trying to list every show, just turned out that every show has been on the back burner. Squidbillies is dirt cheap, it uses old tech to animate and intentionally looks bad, the writing doesn't seem like it needs a ton of time to germinate, and yet it's currently in limbo.

I don't trust AS to give us accurate dates anymore, they say Venture Bros in a month and then change their minds at the zero hour, so frustrating. I hope we'll get content soon, but I'm not expecting anything.

Tell me that their current slate of animation and how it's handled doesn't come off as lazy though. I don't think it can be said with a straight face when you look at the facts.
(This site needs to allow more threading depth. Replying to JTK's comment below.)

Yeah, I was indeed going to mention that they're now taking taking the cheaper, quicker route of live-action fare versus animated stuff but felt I had already rambled enough.

You omitted Squidbillies, which had a short season of six episodes...last August. Why they take so long to produce so few episodes is a mystery. I understand the long production time with Superjail!, given the insane visual density of that but the Squids can't be nearly as difficult to crank out.

Couple of things worth mentioning: From what I can tell, Superjail! is indeed supposed to return with a fourth season, but that'll probably be at least a year or so from now. The best news is that I've actually *already* seen one ad -- but only one ad and only one airing of it -- for the new season of The Venture Bros. (featuring The Monarch, Dr. Mrs. The Monarch and one of her two midget minions). I don't know why the hell it's taken them THREE YEARS to come out with new episodes but it looks like they're finally ready to go. They're slated to begin airing exactly one month from today and I can't wait. I'm puzzled by [as] not bombarding us with ads for its return, but I expect/hope that will change soon.
More +
I see your first point and mainly agree with all of it, AS is a better home for this sort of fare, they treat it better (although their scheduling choices aren't always ideal), they don't disrespect their fare by cramming more and more ads onto it, forcing opening credits to play over closing ones.

As to them being lazy, name a single animated show they've nurtured into series in the last year. Your choices include Black Dynamite, and... Black Dynamite. Some day they'll get around to also airing "Tight Bros" maybe. Metalocalypse's and Aqua Teen's last episodes were July and August. Boondocks' and Venture Bros' last episodes were each 3 years ago, Venture Bros getting a special last Halloween at least. China IL's and Frankenholes' last eps were 14 months ago. The only animated original shows to air since have been Superjail which now has no future, and Robot Chicken. Everything since has been live-action fare, which to me screams lazy and cheap, they're not nurturing the content they were designed for anymore.
As much as I like Oliver, I don't think I'll be watching much this summer. The non-Stewart parts of Daily Show are often very unfunny or annoying, like the "special reports" or when one of the "correspondents" responds. While I admit Oliver is the funniest of those, I don't think he'll deliver the cutting commentary Stewart provides, but it might be alright.
Well, when Colbert filled in for Jon in previous years, he wasn't very good either, far worse than he was as a correspondent. Look how far he's come since then. Oliver may also end up surprising us. I'm looking forward to his stint. Not only do I think his talent deserves a chance at bigger and better things, I also think he's far less likely to get on a soapbox as Jon is increasingly (and lamentably) prone to doing.
Catherine Bell AND Rebecca Romijn? Let's pretend that I'm watching this because they're quite talented actresses. (Let the record reflect that I do indeed hold these two actresses in high esteem professionally speaking.)
And they're also attractive, home run!