News Briefs: Community's Ratings Jumped Way Up With Its Return

FOUR SEASONS AND A CHRISTMAS SPECIAL!

... Community returned from hiatus yesterday and its ratings flopped. Oh wait, sorry, I'm just used to writing that. Actually, the first episode back for Community set a season high for ratings with a 2.2 in the adult demo, even though only 4.75 million viewers tuned in. What's even more telling is that Community was the number-one show of the night among 18-34 year olds, even beating American Idol in that demo. So does that mean Community is getting a fourth season? I'm starting to believe! [TV By the Numbers]

PICKUPS AND PUTDOWNS

... CBS has ordered a pilot for The Job, a reality series in which contestants will play for a dream job at a company. They will then be forever known as "that guy who got his jon from a frickin' reality show and kept me from getting a promotion" at the company for the rest of their career there. Oh, should I mention it's hosted by Lisa Ling? Nah. [Deadline Hollywood]

... A&E; has ordered the reality show Barter Kings, which will follow guys who trade stuff with each other without ever using cash in transactions. At this rate, we'll soon have a program about people who are thinking about shopping. [TV Guide]

... Gossip Girl is very likely to be renewed for a final reduced-episode season, says a source who told a source who wrote it on a napkin and handed it to another source. [The Wrap]

... Bravo has benched Love Broker, a show about a woman who plays matchmaker to New Yorkers, after two episodes. Why? Because it's a show about a woman who plays matchmaker! Seriously, why do execs think people want to watch this stuff? [TV Guide]

... Oprah's cable network OWN continues to get totally owned, and has canceled The Rosie Show. The talk show, hosted by Rosie O'Donnell, debuted in October and stated suffering from bad ratings in October. You read that right. [TV Line]

CASTING ROUNDUP

... Scott Bakula has joined NBC's Table For Three, a comedy pilot about a med school graduate who discovers her dad is now dating the mean girl she went to high school with. Bakula will play the dad, which works for him since he's fresh off a role in Men of a Certain Age in which he dated a much younger woman, lucky dog. [Deadline Hollywood]

... Dennis Miller has booked a role on ABC's comedy pilot Awesometown, about a guy (Outsourced's Ben Rappaport) who catches his wife cheating and moves in with his friends. Miller will play the lead character's boss. I'm not sure there's one thing in this show that sounds interesting. [TV Line]

... Rapper T.I. has joined the Starz drama Boss for a season-long guest role. He'll play a former gangbanger, obviously. (Hollywood's fault, not mine!) [Deadline Hollywood]

... Parenthood's John Corbett is the lucky guy who gets the worst name of the fall season: The Widow Detective. Corbett will play the lead in The Widow Detective, CBS' cop drama about a man who has different relationships with the families of three of his partners that died in the line of duty. With one he'll be the widow's new lover, with another he'll play surrogate husband, and with the other he'll take on the roles of father. Nope, not creepy at all. [EW]

... Mercedes Ruehl recently landed a role on HBO's Luck. Well that's not gonna happen now that it's been quickly canceled. Instead, she'll do something completely different and join Fox's comedy pilot El Jefe, about a man who gets kicked out of his parents' house and moves in with his longtime nanny (Ruehl). [Deadline Hollywood]

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

Hooray for Community! Let's just hope NBC realizes the gem that it is before they axe it prematurely. They'll never compete with shows like TBBT, but then again what will? They just have to live with it until the show ends or something. Dang man, it kinda makes me hate CBS for putting out so much garbage that people just eat right up.. (with the exception of The Vampire Diaries!)
Once Big Bang Theory returns Community will sink again in the face of competition from a show that's actually funny.
TBBT and Community are both funny. Don't be a smug jerk. I love both shows (community more but I'll get to that). For the record TBBT and Community are COMPLETELY different shows. TBBT is mainstream (made for anyone to watch), good at its formula, advertised heavily in its beginning and since, no prior viewing required, stays happily in its boundaries and is made to be a money juggernaut. Community is a quiet achieving piece of art. Quiet as in: It's rarely advertised well and therefore hasn't been discovered a quarter as much as TBBT on an all-ready huge channel with a million promos. While TBBT is great in that it's new viewer friendly and easy to watch I would never LOVE that show because it doesn't have enough depth. Due to its formula and need-to-be-viewer-friendly the characters never change. The only time they don't reset each episode is for large arcs which end up resetting over again anyway. It just isn't as good when you watch an episode again because the jokes aren't funny anymore and there's nothing to add. Community rewards viewers. It's daring, crazy, has a million references and 20 million more character-based jokes. While it has a formula it's constantly changing the boundaries and testing its limits. A big difference between TBBT and this is Community has that depth. The show revolved from a nit-pick of weird misfits including one snarky selfish ex-lawyer hitting on a hot blonde in his fake study group to a group of contrastingly different people that love and care for each other in a very real way like you might love your family. Every character is flawed and every character has a trait that makes you stop and say, "this person is a good person, just one who can't show it normally.". It can sometimes sacrifice jokes for meaning and this is why it doesn't fit to new viewers. I hope you give it another chance because it's a great show that people just don't understand.
More +
If NBC advertised Community, talked about Community, did anything that might actually get Community noticed in the same way TBBT is advertised, talked about and supported, then viewers would flock. It's all in what is big and shiny and pretty. TBBT is everywhere now. There's posters to tell us when to watch, interviews to tell us that everything is awesome and everyone is awesome, and there's a freaking LUAGHTER REEL to tell the audience when to laugh...without that, the majority of the audience would be baffled. Because without that sound we've become so accustomed to, what actually makes the scene funny?

Now, I like TBBT, I used to LOVE it, but my tastes are changing as time goes on. Laughter reels in the twenty first century? When we've already established it's unnecessary?
Amen! Wow you said it, seriously. The canned laughter is a big kicker in my opinion. It's a cue to laugh for the drones when they don't know something was supposed to be "funny." NBC needs to clean house in their advertising department, honestly.. You're totally spot-on with that one!
Ha. Big Bang Theory is far from funny, and very much less than clever. Although you are probably right about it affecting Community's ratings, numbers have NEVER actually been a true indication of quality in anything. Better yet, it's more of a reflection of who is actually capable of critically thinking for themselves. The masses always watch what they're told to watch, and listen to what they're told to listen, etc. The fact that millions of more people watch TBBT is merely indicative of there simply being millions of idiots out there. Disclaimer: that doesn't mean that 100% of people who like that show specifically are all dumb. Just most of them. And frankly, the same is true for every other show out there. Millions of people watch Jersey Shore for eff sakes, now does that make it quality? No way!
I like both shows for what they are. I love Community more because it gives more depth but TBBT is great at what it's purpose is and I don't mind the laugh track at all. Both shows leave me laughing hysterically though Community sometimes chooses to make my heart warm instead. It's a shame they're against each other because I believe there is a shared audience that only knows about TBBT but I personally think if we have to bag crappy shows I nominate Two and a Half Men. I HATE THAT SHOW! THAT show is bad, I don't see how anyone can watch the RUBBISH. All the episodes I've seen are badly delivered sex jokes. Wow how original.
Thank you CBS for rerunning Big Bang Theory and proving that Community can beat Idol in the key demo! The enemy of my enemy is my frienemy!

In other news, Dennis Miller has become a bitter, angry jerk, truly one of the forgotten tragedies of September 11th. He should make a great TV boss, but his acting sucks so he'll just be mediocre along with the rest of the show.
Community good ratings=satisfaction and vindication for me, maybe not as many recognize the genius that is the show but it is a step in the right direction. #sixseasonsandamovie!
Heck yes!
I'm just worried because it wasn't the very BEST episode of Community, so any new viewers - and I'm sure there were some - may have been put off.

And does one strong episode really matter if there was so much going for it this time? TBBT wasn't on, NBC actually promoted it, it was a big return event, awesome trailers etc...

I hate to sound like a buzzkill, but I just can't get my hopes up over one episode with high views. It won't count unless they can follow it up with similar success fot the last few episodes, not at NBC.
And I'm one of those viewers (kind of). I keep trying to get into the show every so often, but it never seems very funny at all. I'm old enough to expect a show with Chevy Chase to be built around Chevy Chase, and none of these people are close to how funny Chevy used to be (including himself).
This show can kill you if you jump into a random episode. You could try watching it from the start I guess but the first few episodes are setting it up for it's amazing episodes later on so if you do don't judge them. I got into the show late... In Australia... My brother had shown be a clip and I thought it looked really interesting... I looked it up 2 years after he showed me the clip and found a huge array of clips and got to love the show off them before getting S1 and S2. Many of it's jokes can be very character based and for an outside viewer look plain crazy, weird, stupid and offensive in some cases purely because they don't get the context.
I disagree wholeheartedly.

Perhaps you should watch from the start. A lot of people say that the first few episodes are weak, but I would argue that they're pretty much just introducing us to the characters, and easing us into the weirdness - it's like The Mighty Boosh: If you don't ease yourself into that show, it's just going to confuse the living daylights out of you. Community really is a gem, but a lot of people have certain expectations for a show, and when it's not what they thought, it seems...stale, somehow. So I'd recommend going from the start, easing yourself in. It's worth it.

Unless it's just not the kind of comedy you generally enjoy. In which case, this comment is irrelevant.
I did watch from the start, but once the vastly superior BBT moved in opposite it that was that. I have loved some episodes like the D&D one and paintball. And I just find Abed to be weird, not funny. If I want to see a funny Middle Eastern-looking guy, I'd rather watch Aziz Ansari on Parks & Rec, the outright funniest sitcom on Thursday nights (NBC or CBS)
That's great to hear about Community. Hopefully it wasn't just a one time thing because of the hype caused by the hiatus, and will continue to be that strong for the rest of the season.
I watch Boss. I listen to T.I. However, for whatever reason, I hate these two coming together.
I'm 100% sure the name Awesometown has already been used. The Lonely Island has a failed sketch comedy pilot on FOX called that. It's on Youtube. I advise ABC to change the title, or you will see something on here soon about it.
One more year at Greendale? Yes please, sign me up.
Even with John Corbett as the lead, Widow Detective sounds mind-numbingly boring. Eh, I'll still give it a shot. Enough with the cop shows already!

I've always liked T.I., so I'm interested in how he'll do against Kelsey Grammer on Boss.
I don't care if Gossip Girl gets renewed but if they cancel Hart of Dixie and renew GG I'm going to be pissed. HOD is such a fun show to watch, GG makes me cringe now.
COMMUNITY!!! FTW!!!!
The Widow Detective? That just gave me the creeps. Are they sure that isn't another name for Sister Wives? And Bravo's show about a female matchmaker...don't they already have a show about a female matchmaker? Oy these people!
I still think the Widow Detective should star Angela Lansbury.
or craig ferguson with a wig and a fancy dress
#SIXSEASONSANDAMOVIE!!!

New hashtag: #I'mstartingtobelieve

WE DID IT! I'd like to thank all the fans out there who raised Community awareness during the interminable hiatus. Community is here to stay, baby! Let me be the first to start the chant: GREENDALE! GREENDALE! GREENDALE! GRE . . . . Wait, the depressingly pessimistic voice inside my head is saying this is only one episode and we probably shouldn't get our hopes up too high . . . . Screw that! GREENDALE! GREENDALE! . . .
Big Bang Theory was preempted by basketball. That may be a good thing, as those who watch that may have tuned in to Community and may have liked it and may continue to do so. Or it may be a bad thing when BBT returns. Or it may be a good thing, as those who liked it may still do so, but through DVR, VCR, On Demand, Hulu, and whatever. Or that may be a bad thing, as I know not if networks care about that or, if so, how much they do. Or it may be agood thing, as more people who watched and liked it may decide they'll wait for the DVD thereby bumping up sales. Or it may be a bad thing, as people may not think it worth it and sales will not be enough to warrant continuation of the show or a "Family Guy"/"Futurama" type miracle return.
I did my part. Made everyone I know watch an episode or two during the hiatus (and it was universally well received). Incidentally, Advanced Dungeons and Dragons and Remedial Chaos Theory both make good first episodes.