News Briefs: Cougar Town Crashes in Its Return

PENNY CAN'T NEWS

... Cougar Town made its much-fussed-about return last night, and all you people who clamored for it didn't do a great job of watching it. But you did do a great job of not watching it, so you have that going for you. Only 4.88 million viewers tuned in for the Season 3 debut, which was good for a 1.8 adult demo rating. It didn't help that yesterday was Valentine's Day and people were too busy doing whatever it is couples do. Nor is the show's new time slot beneficial: it's sandwiched between multi-cam red-state fave Last Man Standing and found-footage horror series The River. Things were even worse for The River in its second week. The series earned a 1.7 rating among adults. [TV By the Numbers]

ORDER UP

... A&E; has ordered Be the Boss, a spin-off of CBS's Undercover Boss. The reality series features two employees competing for a promotion to a management position at a company's new franchise. But here's the feel-good twist! The winner of the competition will be rewarded with ownership of the new store. The loser will be made janitor of the new store. Well, not really. But if I had my way... [THR]

... If you're the one person out there who can stand Jenny McCarthy, I have good news. VH1 has hired her to host The Jenny McCarthy Show, a talk show in the vein of E!'s Chelsea Lately. [THR]

... CBS has ordered a new reality dating show called 3. Based on an Israeli series, 3 follows three women as they try dating. That's it. Three women. Who date. Nothing captures the honesty of dating like a woman prowling bars with a camera crew in tow. [Deadline Hollywood]

... TBS has ordered 35 more episodes of Tyler Perry's For Better Or Worse. Is there a South Korean sweatshop that's churning out scripts for this show or something? [Deadline Hollywood]

... Discovery has ordered a third season of Gold Rush, better known as the show The Soup likes to make fun of because of its endless "Glory Hole" and "loads" references. Somehow this show about men who dig for gold is consistently number one in the 18-49 demo on Friday nights, beating anything on cable OR network. [THR]

CASTING ROUNDUP

... Kal Penn (Kumar!) has been cast in ABC's comedy pilot Prairie Dogs. He'll play an office slave who has his identity stolen, and the thief creates a much more interesting life with his name. Then he tracks down the thief so the thief can help him improve his own life. God I hate this show because it's so difficult to explain. The elevator pitch for the series must have taken at least three trips. [Deadline Hollywood]

... Katie Cassidy (Supernatural, Gossip Girl) will star in The CW's Arrow, the new superhero drama based on The Green Arrow. She'll play Laurel, better known to comic fans as the Black Canary. On a scale of 1 to 10 in attractiveness, Cassidy is a one. Million. Mrowr! [Deadline Hollywood]

... Malcolm Barrett (Better Off Ted, that phone commercial where he's playing that bar basketball game) has joined Fox's comedy pilot Rebounding. The show follows a dude who is recovering with the help of his pickup basketball friends after the death of his fiancée. The story says that Barrett will play two of the basketball-playing friends, which might be the most racist thing I've ever heard. [Deadline Hollywood]

... Ali Larter and Fox often share a sentence, with the words "is a" in between. But now there's a new sentence to write: Larter, who played Niki and like four of her twins on Heroes, has joined the Fox drama The Asset. She'll play a CIA agent who goes undercover as a photojournalist. Sorry about the first two sentences in this blurb. It's probably the worst attempt at being clever ever. God, I'm a failure. *crying sound* [EW]

... One Tree Hill alum Sophia Bush has been cast in the CBS comedy pilot Partners. The show follows two buddies whose relationship is tested when one proposes to his girlfriend. Bush will play the girlfriend. [TV Line]

UNCASTING ROUNDUP

... ESPN's Monday Night Football will be a man down next year. Ron "Jaws" Jaworski is being taken out of the booth, leaving chatter duties solely to Mike Tirico and John Gruden. As sports people might say, this is a total airball for poor Jaws. [Pro Football Talk]

... Saved the worst for last: Paget Brewster is leaving Criminal Minds at the end of the season. She's been looking to leave the show and do other projects for some time now, and even shot a pilot last year for NBC. [Deadline Hollywood]

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

May 11, 2012
NO!!! Not again! Emily Prentiss is my favorite character on Criminal Minds....I hate this back and forth stuff!
Feb 23, 2012
My best friend's mom makes $77 an hour on the computer. She has been out of job for 9 months but last month her check was $7487 just working on the computer for a few hours. Read about it here NuttyRich. c0m
Feb 18, 2012
I had really gotten in to "Cougar Town" last year, but sadly I can watch one thing ("NCIS") and record another on DVR ("Glee"), so it got left out in the cold. Really poor scheduling.
Feb 17, 2012
I really hope Cougar Town doesn't get cancelled because of this. Abed would be devastated! Ok, me too.
Feb 17, 2012
Sucks to have Cougar Town crash and burn. Everything about its premiere date was mishandled by ABC though.

Kal Penn seems too "genuine" to make a comedy like that work, but it could be interesting maybe. Title needs to go though.

Perhaps this time they can have Paget's character leave the show in a less ridiculously dramatic fashion.
Feb 17, 2012
I'm sorry, I respect Paget Brewster and her presence on the show despite the fact that I loathed her character but that was just ridiculous. I sort of suspected something like this would happen but it doesn't change the fact that it's ridiculous and this is why I was one of the rare fans who didn't rally for their return. Once the decision was made it should have been adhered.Because if they had the balls to can both actresses than they should have stood by their decision no matter how stupid it was, and as for the actresses...no way would I have returned to make up for their mistakes...especially since the show is in it's seventh season now...realistically not much longevity left to it anyways, cut your losses and head to something with more promise and longevity.. I feel most sorry for the writers who have to constantly readjust to all of this and make allowances for things. I mean it's bordering on Soap Opera like no matter how they choose to write her out now.I respect Paget and her decision but she never should have agreed to come back.Best of luck to her though.
Feb 18, 2012
Criminal Minds has plenty of longevity left. It's #11 in the ratings and not showing decline, so it's hard to imagine it won't be around at least another three years.
Feb 17, 2012
Paget Brewster was forced to come back this season because of contract, so she didn't agree to come back.
Paget NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
Feb 16, 2012
Seriously, The Middle is a much better pairing with Last Man Standing.

Wednesday - Suburgatory, Modern Family, Cougar Town, Happy Endings
Feb 16, 2012
After all the sturm und drang last year of losing JJ and Emily, then having Emily "killed" only to get her back this year when the threat to her life ended and she could come back from the "dead," we're STILL going to end up losing her???

I get that Ms. Brewster needs to do what she thinks is best for her, but as one of the fans that helped raise the ruckus that got CBS to reconsider the firings of Ms. Brewster and AJ Cook, it feels a bit like a slap in the face to have her just up and decide to leave.
Feb 16, 2012
With the delay that Cougar Town got in it's return this season, I don't think the network had any plans to renew it. The numbers only support that. So it would seem clear that this is the last season for the show.

It also looks as if this is the last season for The River. Despite the low writing quality of the show, it's the sort of show that doesn't appeal to everyone.
Feb 16, 2012
Seems like bad news for Cougar Town, which I'm a big fan of. Hopefully next week, when it's not a flipping 'special' occasion, the figures will improve, but I do think, just like most people, that the time slot is a stinker. Hopefully Fox is reviewing the schedules at this very moment... Yeah, I doubt it too.

All of the news in the 'Order Up' section is a bad sign for humanity. 'For Better Or Worse', which I'd never heard of, has a 3.3 rating on IMDb... seems like a classic!

I wonder if Brewster leaving Criminal Minds (again) means that Rachel Nicholls will get to come back. I really liked her character when they first introduced her, it was the first time the show made any attempt at character development since Spencer Reed discovered he was ill. It's just a shame that the writers practically left her by the wayside when (I assume) they discovered that Brewster was returning and Nicholls would be sacked.

As much as I like Kal Penn, Ali Larter and Sophia Bush (and I REALLY like Sophia Bush) none of those shows sound like the next big thing. I suppose Larters' 'The Asset' could have some real potential depending on the creator/head writer and the rest of the cast. The fact it's on Fox means it could go either way.
Feb 16, 2012
Great news i want to see Katy Cassidy in Arrow and Sophia Bush in a comedy series i think both series will be great as for Cougar Town i hope it goes up in the next episode because maybe Valentines Day reduced its ratings by alot.
Feb 16, 2012
Yeah, I have to say the network screwed the pooch on Cougar Town. It has a great base following and was doing just fine. Way to go.
Feb 16, 2012
First ABC abandons Cougar town to the mercy of mid seasons, then they bring it back nine months? and only because on of their stupidest shows got cancel (no shit sherlock) later after its season 2 finale, they bring it back on valentine's day nevertheless (all shows had their season's lowest ratings) and they are surprised it crashed in ratings. BoooHoo ABC is probably the worst network; it has some of the best shows, but treats most of them like shit. Good news for Katie Cassidy ,,, but I do think it's time for her to leave the ill viewed network CW and follow Sophia's Bush footsteps.
Feb 16, 2012
The producers of The River promised to scare the s**t out of us. I am still waiting.
Feb 16, 2012
Maybe Brewster is just eager to leave a show before it dies under her - she had a history of being a show-killer before Criminal Minds. I will admit, though, that I'll miss Emily Prentiss.

And I'll agree with the comment below: Whitaker's spinoff was a tragic mistake from conception to abortion.
Feb 16, 2012
BLARGH @ Paget Brewster.Sigh. And here I was so excited when she was invited back. Okay, with less screen time, but still :( MEH.
Feb 16, 2012
"The story says that Barrett will play two of the basketball-playing friends, which might be the most racist thing I've ever heard." Haha, I laughed joyfully after reading this line.

I'm kind of a fan of Malcolm Barrett's. Unfortunately, this pilot sounds... uhhh... bad.

I guess I can say the same for Kal Penn.
Feb 16, 2012
So let me get this right, CBS fired Paget Brewster from Criminal Minds as part of what I called the "Let's sack a bunch of people so we can afford to pay Forest Whitaker to star in a show that will fail miserably" debacle. Then they tripped over themselves to re-hire her when CMSB flopped and now they're sacking her again. Why not just leave Prentiss dead to begin with?

Feb 17, 2012
I'm actually kind of glad I stopped watching the show early in season 6. The back and forth casting of JJ and Prentiss seems really annoying and stupid.
Feb 17, 2012
They're not sacking her...this time she's choosing to leave on her own. Basically it's the "you can't fire me because I quit". Honestly makes me lost a bit of respect for both sides, because they never should have fired her to begin with, and she was the most vocal about their decision but decided to come back anyways...only to leave again? Now the overall presentation of the show itself is suffering because of their behind the scenes drama. Contract negotiations and hold outs and firings and rehirings....I mean in this past year they fired AJ and Paget, outraged fans, Paget went on a vocal tirade, hired Rachel Nichols who recieved backlash like no other from fans, only to rehire both AJ and Paget, fire Rachel Nichols (via web...the poor girl found out she was fired while on vacation through freaking Twitter), then the long grueling contract negotiations of Thomas Gibson and Shemar Moore, in which the former held out until the last possible second. Too much crap.
Feb 16, 2012
comedys on fox are never a good idea. even if their good, alot of them dont make it past 1 season. look at new girl, its the best new comedy this year but it only brings in a little under 7 million views. fox is cursed for comedies unless its animated
Feb 16, 2012
i have an idea. maybe people didnt watch cougar town because its a horribly unfunny show with ugly middle aged women. the only people who would like this show are ugly fat virgins
Feb 16, 2012
Wow, the troll, double-post combo. Everyone who dismissed you as a troll with your first comment totally forgot in the next one when you actually had something to say. Oh, wait, no, it's the other way. You actually managed to invalidate your opinion before you stated it by opening with insults. You may as well have not posted the second time. Next time, post the one that adds to the conversation and hold the other one back for a bit. You can post it later if it still seems like a good idea, but avoiding a double-post means some of us won't notice you were the same troll. Also, there will be that period in between where some people actually take you seriously and you actually contribute to the conversation. The vast majority of people reading this right now are thinking, you dumbass, don't feed the troll, but I've decided I have a different philosophy. Nurture the troll. Teach the troll. I went to training at work where they told me everyone can be taught. So today, I'm trying to not be prejudiced against trolls. Please take my advice in the spirit in which it was intended.
Feb 16, 2012
To be fair to Cougar Town and its would be watchers, that lineup is a terrible fit. Those three shows have almost nothing in common and probably not a lot of overlapping fan base. Even as a channel-agnostic, I'd say that day is a terrible fit. On Wednesday they could have put it in place of The Middle. On Thursday I'd watch it after the big bang theory. On Monday I'd watch it after How I met your mother. Tuesday the only thing you can do is use it to fill the other half hour after you decide Glee sucks.
Feb 16, 2012
Tim, you make me laugh out loud at least once per news brief! Keep the good humor man.