News Briefs: Dallas and Falling Skies Are Getting Post-Episode Talk Shows

IS THIS A NEW TREND? NEWS

... When AMC announced that it would air a live talk show called Talking Dead to discuss episodes of The Walking Dead immediately after they aired, we rolled our eyes. But then you know what? The show was actually kinda good! And apparently TNT has been paying attention, because it's decided to roll out a copycat similar format for two of its summer series, Dallas and Falling Skies. Big difference, though: These will be web only. Cameron Mathison will host the Dallas post show, called Dallas Round-Up, and nerd king and clown-sweater aficionado Wil Wheaton will emcee the Falling Skies chat, named 2nd Watch (boo, no Talking Skies?). Both will run for 15 minutes. [TNT via press release]

BUSINESS TIME

... FX is mining Australian comics for more comedies. The network has picked up 13 episodes of Legit, created by Jim Jeffries. The half-hour comedy will star Jeffries as a comedian who is trying to go legit, and no, I don't know what that means either. FX already has one Australian star, in Wilfred's Jason Gann. [FX via press release]

... You asked for HBO to be available on its own without a cable subscription via a web-only option, and HBO said... NO. The premium cable channel addressed an internet movement by fans of the network who've been campaigning for the opportunity to pay for HBO without going through a cable company. Due to carriage fees and all that, it doesn't make any business sense for HBO to entertain that option, so you'll have to just go back to downloading the shows illegally and stealing HBO GO passwords from richer people. [NY Times]

... Roseanne Barr's failed NBC pilot Downwardly Mobile, in which she would have played the matriarch of a trailer park, might still have some life in it. Barr says NBC hasn't completely abandoned the project, and that it could be retooled and given another shot at NBC's schedule. Great! Because NBC is really lacking in comedies right now! (Pssst! I'm being sarcastic.) [Politicker]

... But wait! There's more! Television has not abandoned Bridesmaids' Rebel Wilson's pilot Super Fun Night. The comedy, about a trio of goofy ladies on a quest to make Friday nights fun, was passed on by CBS for this season but could be given a second chance at ABC. The show would move from a multi-camera to a single-camera format and fit in nicely with Don’t Trust the B---- and Happy Endings. [Deadline Hollywood]

... TLC has announced a premiere date for its new show Four Houses: July 2! The network has also announced what the show is about because I had no idea: It's a reality competition show in which homeowners check out each other's digs and try to impress each other. Winners will be featured in Better Homes and Gardens, and winners and losers will be featured on some TLC show called Four Houses. [TLC via press release]

CASTING NEWS

... Conan O'Brien has announced which guests will join him for his stint in Chicago: Andy Samberg, Jack McBrayer, Adam Sandler, and Johnny Galecki will play along with the Big Red Machine in Chi-Town next week. [Red Eye Chicago]

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

I'm curious to see the after shows of Dallas and Falling Skies.

HBO is stupid, more people would be able to watch their show if it was available without paying for cable and just pay HBO for online service.
Conan's line up sucks. I had to google two of their names. At least his monologue should be entertaining enough.
I'm not surprised Roseanne's show needs retooling, it just had the feel of a One and Done. You can't just hang a familiar cast on a new setting and expect ratings - look at Bill Cosby's sitcom after The Cosby Show.

Where did CBS think they had room for another sitcom anyway??? ABC on the other hand feels like a better fit. Of course, CBS doesn't have a lot of female-oriented sitcoms, it might have been wise to hang onto that - ABC has tons and is doing alright in ratings from it.
Super Fun Night needs a better name, like "It's Friday, B!tches!" THAT would go well with Don't Trust the B---- and Happy Endings.
Hm? Wil Wheaton? I'm sold.
Good news about 2nd Watch - More Falling skies stuff can only be good news and Wil Wheaton is awesome.
Completely forgot about Barr's show. it was supposed to have John Goodman too. Does anyone know of a list of this year's failed pilots? Kept reading here and elsewhere of shows in development, but not the shows passed on.
Some Brit shows have had shows-about-the-shows for a while (Doctor Who comes to mind). It's not a new concept.
Doctor Who Confidential and others are just a behind the scenes things aren't they? not really a post-episode discussion.
There's a focus on behind-the-scenes, but also some discussion of the story arc and often talk about the reaction to the previous episode.
!. About shows that talk about shows:

(Not an exact quote) "Based on the Talking Dead"...I don't know, maybe it's because I'm part of the Canadian minority that frequents this site, but on MTV Canada there was a horrible show that followed a horrible show...The Hills Aftershow. I think my point is that in no way is The Talking Dead (or any show that talks about a show) an original idea....just sayin'. (Note the apostrophe it proves that I'm hip....right?......)

2. About searching Australia for more comedic talent:

I think that mining a geographical location for comedic talent based on the success of one show's actor (and let's face it...Wilfred is awesome) is about as good an idea as slathering sushi with mayo. I'm not saying that it's a bad idea, I'm just saying come up with an idea for a show before you find a person for a show. And yes I am aware that Wilfred was not an original idea...or rather it was...it just didn't come from an (North) American mind.

3. I grew up with Rosanne Barr. Am I the only one that never thought she was worth watching? I feel kinda bad saying this, but I kinda hope her show fails...sorry Rosanne.

4 Off topic (for this article) but can you believe it took those usually brilliant people on the east side of the Atlantic this long to bring an end to Skins? That being said, I can't wait to see what they do with the three episodes they bring out next year. And not that anyone will read this, but yes I do realize that by dropping the Rosanne comment I admitted to the fact that I'm probably too old to be watching skins....but hey, good television is good television. Also I tend to stick with a show that I enjoyed in the beginning until it's reaches its inevitable conclusion (Eureka for example).
I guess next week is a rare do-not-miss for Conan. I only watch his show when for certain guests - McBrayer, Sandler, Samberg are some of them. And Tracy Morgan of course.
That's why I kiss-up to friends with HBO. "Of course I'd love to watch true blood on your big screen with you. My place? Oh, no, the neighbors are too loud. I'll bring the chips and salsa."
The TV model is just as outdated as the movie model. Instead of adapting to the internet they try and fight it. HBO has become "hip" but they scoff at the idea of giving watchers a better method of getting their content. I'll just continue what I've been doing, downloading their shows.