News Briefs: Duck Dynasty Is Frickin' Huge

DUCK NEWS

... Morrissey's call to cease the senseless slaughter of feathered fowl is going unnoticed. A&E's Duck Dynasty debuted its third season last night to record ratings for the network, attracting 8.6 million viewers and a feather-ruffling 3.9 rating in the adult demo in back-to-back episodes. Both are records for the network. A&E's combination of Season 2 repeats and encore airings of the Season 3 premiere also suited the network well. Various episodes of Duck Dynasty grabbed the top six and 14 of the top 27 cable broadcasts for the evening overall. By comparison, ratings champ Modern Family also put up a 3.9 rating in the demo and American Idol posted a 3.8. Duck Dynasty stomped everything else. [A&E via press release]

OTHER BUSINESS MATTERS

... The 3.8 rating American Idol posted was a 10-year low for the series. The end is coming. [EW]

... HBO will air another Louis C.K. stand-up special: Louis C.K.: Oh My God will air Saturday, April 13 at 10pm. The special was recently taped at a show he did in Phoenix. [HBO via press release]

... Bob's Burgers will move to 9:30pm for three weeks beginning this Sunday, March 3. [Fox via press release]

LOTS OF CASTING, AGAIN

... Sons of Anarchy's O.G. is coming back for Season 6. Jimmy Smits, who played new character Nero last season, will appear in all 13 episodes of Season 6. This is good news. [TV Line]

... Scrubs alum John C. McGinley is reuniting with Scrubs head honcho Bill Lawrence on the TBS comedy pilot Ground Floor. McGinley will play a corporate boss in the multi-camera comedy about a driven young man who works with a bunch of carefree coworkers. [Deadline Hollywood]

... Hey old people (myself included)! Tim Conway and Carol Burnett will reunite on TV Land's Hot in Cleveland. Both are set to make a guest appearance on the show, with Conway's character crushing on Burnett's character. Burnett and Conway were famous costars way back on The Carol Burnett Show. [TV Line]

... The West Wing star Allison Janney will appear in a multi-episode arc on Showtime's new drama Masters of Sex. In the series about sexual revolution pioneers William Masters and Virginia Johnson, Janney will play the wife of Beau Bridge's academic director character. [THR]

... Leverage's cat burglar has been let out the bag. Beth Riesgraf will join Jason Isaacs in the CBS medical drama Surgeon General, following the nation's top doc. Riesgraf will play a doctor, duh. [TV Line]

... David Spade and Rachael Harris have boarded ABC's comedy pilot Bad Management. The show follows an egotistical female boss of a luxury store who finds her methods challenged when the owner's son changes the store's focus. Spade will play the son, and Harris will play one of the store's employees. Spade's participation is dependent on whether CBS picks up Rules of Engagement for another season. [EW]

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter if you want to: @TimAtTVDotCom

I can watch scripted shows and I can watch reality shows, but I can't stand to watch scripted reality shows.
I love Rachel Harris , I like David Spade I'll watch. The hot cat burglar from Leverage, I;ll watch.. Bobs Burgers is very funny, I'll watch..

I've seen 2 episodes of The Cleveland show.
I don't get the appeal of Duck Dynasty. It just seems like another stereotypical deep South show that blends in with the rest.
Hallelujah to the end of American Idol being heralded!

Louis CK has another standup special? Crap, I don't have HBO but I gotta see it. Sell it to me Louis for $5!

Noooo, Bob's Burgers doesn't need tampering-with. Wait, Family Guy is also a ratings-grabber, maybe that'll work out. Still, seems unwise given how Bob's Burgers is less potty-esque than the Seth MacFarlverse.

McGinley needs to stop taking jobs as a mean boss guy, he has better range, hopefully Bill Lawrence will ensure that happens, but it doesn't sound like it so far.

Poor Beth Riesgraf, a medical show is now a kiss of death for a pilot.

David Spade is on an ABC sitcom, does that mean Rules of Engagement is finally dead? That's too bad, but this season really does feel like the right time to have pulled the plug a season ago. The concept of this sitcom sounds like a miss just because it's too basic and too dependent on personalities that don't carry shows but enhance them.
Jason Isaacs, one of my favorite actors on TV "ends up" in a medical drama.
That's sad. I'm sad now.
How does David Spade keep getting jobs?! Baffling! And why is Rules of Engagement still on??
I think David Spade has the same agent as Christian Slater who keeps pitching them for any pilot that comes out.
If you haven't watched Duck Dynasty, then you just don't know.... it's not about trashy, uneducated people. Phil Robertson is a very religious man with a Masters degree and was the starting QB ahead of Terry Bradshaw at Louisiana Tech. He created and patented some of the most realistic duck calls in the world and founded Duck Commander. His son Willie is a college educated man who now runs Duck Commander / Buck Commander - and creates television shows / DVDs for their businesses. Uncle Sy is a quirky war veteran who always has a great story to tell. Phil's son Jase is the jester of the group and is the polar opposite of Willie, who seems to take everything too seriously. The grandchildren all say "ma'am" and "sir" and are raised properly, while also being taught about respecting "food" and living off the land (even though they are "soft" and spoiled by Phil's standards). Duck Dynasty is a "lightly scripted" reality show, for some of the silly and entertaining hijinks that take place. But mostly it's about a very GOOD group of family and friends who take care of each other (family values) and every show has a moral of the story ending. You can't help but love these people! Every other reality show should strive to be like this.

It's nothing like the Kartrashians, moonshiners, Honey Boo Boo and all that other reality garbage people seem to be watching.
As a beach guy from So Cal I thought that Duck Dynasty wouldn't be anything that I would have any interest in EVER! But a buddy of mine who shapes surfboards for a living, and who I would never have thought would watch this show, told me how much he loved it. And why? Because it's funny. I mean laugh out loud funny. With his recommendation I told my wife I wanted to check it out based on my friend's encouragement. Now I think she was a little concerned that I might have experienced some kind of brain trauma, but she said, "OK, let's give it a try." And we laughed like it was a world class comedy. I'm still surprised that we liked it as much as we did, but it is FUNNY!! And not, "Look at the weird southerners and rednecks" funny. But clever, and interesting, and just plain fun.

Believe me, a month ago I would have laughed at someone if they had told me that I would even attempt to watch this show, let alone like it. But I do. What I'm saying is it's popular for a reason. And I'm someone who is light years from any demographic that would like a show about the family and friends of people who make duck calls!! So if you haven't seen it give it a try. It surprised me and it may surprise you.
More +
This comment has been removed.
You're right; I've never watched. However, it certainly isn't advertised as being about an education man and a nice family. The ads make it seem like another "redneck" show.
It's not billed that way because it's not about "an educated man." It's about a family, several of whom happen to be well-educated. They only used to have beards during duck season, now their contracts states they have to keep them at all times, for the duration of the show. Their business, Duck Commander, made them all multi-millionaires long before they achieved fame in the TV world. Whether they achieved that because of education or just good business sense is anybody's guess, but it's not such a black and white either/or. They ARE rednecks. They're not trashy, ignorant rednecks. I rarely watch because reality TV isn't my thing at all, but it's about the only reality TV that I can watch if I'm at somebody's house and they're into it. Gold Diggers, Axe Men, Swamp People, all those shows.....they're just nowhere near as funny.
I totally agree with you. Although I have seldom have the oppurtunity to see an episode (being Dutch), it's the only reality show that catches me. It probably is because it looks real and because, as you say, the values they are living by are good. It's something I can be a part of myself, something I can do myself. And this is different from the other shows where I feel that Im supposed to either look up to (I cannot reach that level/be that bitch/etc) or look down on (Ugh, Im happy I'm not tat weird/bad/idiot) in some way.
As a southerner, I implore, beg, and grovel to you to PLEASE stop watching Duck Dynasty, that moonshining show, and for the love of God, Honey Boo Boo. They promote the part of the southern culture that celebrates ignorance and shuns education. It makes it harder on those of us who have not fallen prey to that mindset. If I want to see stupidity and hear people speak very loudly with extremely poor grammar, uttering idiocies, I will walk out my front door. Please, just stop. Stop now. For the love of all that is Holy, stop it. If you keep feeding it, it will continue to grow.
If you lump Duck Dynasty in with the Honey Boo Boo crapola, you're doing a disservice to the former. As noted elsewhere, the Robertson family aren't idiots despite what you may draw from the ads. Phil start making duck calls in a shed and selling them when his family was very poor. His son Willie has expanded and built the business since then. Do they like to have fun/goof around? Hell yes...but there's more to it than beards. Watch it before you dismiss it as this generation's Dukes of Hazzard.
I stopped watching Boo Boo after the terrible Halloween episode. Ducks I didn't even know excisted and won't bother watching.
THANK YOU! One down, way too many yet to go.
You're welcome.
So, for three weeks, FOX is moving Bob's Burgers and taking off American Dad completely to give the terrible Cleveland Show a better slot. Good call, guys.
I share your sentiment, but Cleveland Show has held one of those notoriously unlucky "7" time slots for at least a year now. Three weeks doesn't seem like so long in comparison, as long as it isn't permanent.
Yeah, I know it won't be permanent. FOX just likes to screw with their viewers from time to time.
When is masters of sex coming out!?
Yay! Beth Riesgraf back on my TV.
Duck Dynasty Music Video "Redneck Heroes" - Daniel Epperson

Daniel Epperson has made quite a splash on the country music scene with his new music video for the single "Redneck Heroes"
The song features multiple references about Duck Dynasty and redneck life, check it out and please share on
Facebook Twitter Google+
I haven't seen Duck Dynasty, so my comment may be unfair, but I weep for the future of television. Smits was great on the last season of SoA. It seems like his character is going to return to his gangster roots and may become a real bad ass.
Good for Jimmy Smits Nero was one of the few good things from last season.

And ABC?!?!?! Why do people keep giving David Spade a job unless the show is produced by Adam Sandler I don't see how. Come on ABC, you were doing so well with Happy Endings, B in 23 and to a lesser extent Suburgatory and Neighbors. And then you threw it all away or are in the process of doing so? Why else would you give a show to 90's reject that plays the same freaking character in every single movie or show he is in and stopped being funny two decades ago. WHY
I agree. How is David Spade considered funny?? And don't say SNL cause we all know there are a lot of former players who aren't funny by themselves.
Maybe it is a 21st century philosophical thought experiment. You know like the who tree falling in a forest thing. How is David Spade considered funny? And it is beyond me to answer. You would need to have tremendous philosophical knowledge, or just a horrible sense of humor.
Spot on about David Spade. The only time he was ever funny was when he played off of Chris Farley. He needs to go away, along with Rob Schneider who is even less funny.
This comment has been removed.
It seems like that would be for people to decide, not you. Maybe Spade has managed to brand himself as snarky. Besides, I still remember Spade's "Hollywood Minute" segment where he said he'd seen better plots than Mr. Baseball's on a Happy Meal place mat, and that was at least 20 years ago.
I am part of the people too, so I can help them decide. Besides, this is just my opinion anyway (and the opinion of many others.)
This comment has been removed.
Thanks for making me feel old;-)
Tim Conway and Carol Burnett were very funny in their heyday (sp?)...I don't remember a lot of it because I was so young but I remember laughing a lot and looking forward to The Carol Burnett Show when I was a kid.
I really enjoy(ed) watching reruns of The Carol Burnett Show. I wish TV Land would start airing them, again.

• 9:00 pm