News Briefs: For the Love Of God Please Stop Watching Honey Boo Boo

THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT

... LISTEN UP! Whoever out there is watching TLC's Here Comes Honey Boo Boo, JUST STOP. What is your problem? Do you enjoy providing statistical evidence for why other countries should hate us? What do you have against the potential greatness of the human race? Have you been hypnotized by the telepathic monster that lives in Honey Boo Boo's belly fat? WHY!? More than 3.1 million viewers tuned in to Here Comes Honey Boo Boo: A Very Boo Halloween, making it the highest-rated episode of the hit series to date and almost guaranteeing that we'll be getting 27 more seasons of the show until camera lenses no longer go wide enough to capture all of HBB's adult girth. [TLC via press release]

... Meanwhile, The Bachelor returned last night and earned its lowest premiere ratings ever with 7.4 million viewers and a 2.1 rating in the adult demo. That was still good enough to earn second place for the night, but down four percent from last season. NBC's new series Deception, which I trashed, debuted to 5.6 million viewers and a 2.0 rating. [The Wrap]

BUSINESS TIME FOR FOX

... Fox has finally done what I've been telling netwoks to do all along and that's put more investments into single-season miniseries, or as execs are calling them, in the ever expanding library of corporate-approved babble: "long-form events." The idea is to air big-budget 10- or 12-episode series with top-tier talent attached. First up is Wayward Pines from a director we all used to care about, M. Night Shyamalan. The project, described as in the vein of Twin Peaks, is based on a novel and follows an FBI agent who investigates the disappearance of two other agents. Also in the mix is Blood Brothers, detailing West Point cadets ripped apart by the Civil War. Look for Fox's LFEs (long-form events) in 2014. [Fox via press release]

... Remember when Fox was attempting to revive the sketch show In Living Color? Well it isn't trying anymore. [Vulture]

... Fox's late-night animation block, called Animation Domination High-Def (as in "Are you HIGH?" "DEFnitly!" I think), will premiere Saturday July 27 at 11pm. The hour-and-a-half block will feature 15-minute episodes from Axe Cop, High School! USA!, and a project from standups Kenny and Keith Lucas. [Fox via press release]

CASTING NEWS

... Finalist for "Hottest Woman Tim Can Think Of 2008-present" Sarah Shahi has booked a recurring role on CBS's Person of Interest. She'll play an operative named Shaw who specializes in catching terrorists before they can terrorize, in multiple episodes. Look for her first appearance in the February 21 episode "Relevance," which creator Jonathan Nolan will direct. [Deadline Hollywood]

... MTV's Awkward. has cast Anthony Michael Hall (The Breakfast Club, The Dead Zone, Community's bully) in Season 3. He'll play a sadistic creative-writing teacher at Palos Hills. Also joining the cast is Glee's Nolan Funk, as a preppy transfer student. [EW]

... The world's pre-teens will beg their parents to stay up late on February 9, as Saturday Night Live will get Bieber Fever. Floppy-haired dandy Justin Bieber will play host and musical guest on NBC's sketch-comedy series. [Billboard]

... Fox's The Mindy Project will bring on guest-star Seth Rogen next month for the February 19 episode. He'll play Mindy's old flame and first kiss, and the two may rekindle their childhood spit-swapping. [Fox via press release]

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

This is the only show in existence that I hate so much that I think that anyone who likes it is an idiot.
Ditto!! I'm from Oklahoma too, and feel the very same way. SHAME, SHAME, SHAME on TLC for airing this show and most of all, THINKING we would want to watch it!!! I got so sick of shows like this one and others. I hooked my tv up to a converter box. NOW I DON'T HAVE TO WATCH ALL THE TRASH ANYMORE!!!!
Thank you for addressing this waste of television show! It makes me ashamed to be white!! I have been born and raised in Oklahoma, but I consider families like theirs to be "white trash", and cannot believe that in 2013 southern states are being made to look like they are all like this family. If you have ANY decency as a white person... PLEASE do as he says and STOP WATCHING THIS TRASH!!
Thanks for bringing the pain to honey boo boo:) Well written
I do my part. I NEVER watch "Honey Boo Boo", "Toddlers & Tiaras", "Teen Moms", "The Batchelor", "Real Housewives" or any of that other dreck.
I actually took TLC off my television set.
i find it ironic that this show gets so many negative reviews but yet still gets good ratings
Wayward Pines sounds like AMC's The Killing, which I loved so a serial mini doesn't seem too bad. I also loved The Mob Doctor, it got better and better with every episode. As for HBB I turned it on last night for about 5 minutes to see what all the hoopla was about and was extremely saddened by the mayonnaise and sammwich debacle. Putrid plain and simple.
i think it's based on a book called pines by blake crouch. if it is then that book was pretty good and the ending really made you think.
I will definitely check that out, thanks JF.
AMH is very cool!
I just don't understand how shows like Honey Boo Boo stay on the air while awesome new shows like The Mob Doctor get cancelled after less than one season. I just don't get it. Yes - JUST STOP WATCHING HONEY BOO BOO! There are other real TV shows out there...
the fact is that reality costs a lot less than scripted. that's why they stay on the air while the good scripted shows don't. as a certain rapper said "it's all about the benjamins baby."
Lol! Even Duchovny has limits.
I actually like Boo Boo but the Halloween episode just felt wrong. You don't pee everywhere, you don't sleep in unmade beds, you just don't.....do that. It wasn't dirty funny, it was just tragic. I probably won't keep watching.
Tim, I just want you to know that I have never watched so much as a trailer for Honey Boo Boo. It ain't me, Bro.
Oh and I forgot about HBB. Hell, I don't even watch The Soup because I don't want to spend that much time hating the crap I hate. Honestly, I'd prefer people stop watching TLC completely. I know they're just whores selling out to actually make money for their network, but I don't care. They're called *The Learning Channel*. They should've changed their name to "Sorry, But We're Whores Now" as soon as they put LA Ink up.
I've loved Sarah Shahi since Life (still the best show to happen to her and Damian Lewis, imo), so seeing her head to a show that's actually working out is the best news I've heard all year.

Sure, it's a been short year, but it's really good news. Keep her there forever, and don't make her a criminal. Actually...she can be a criminal as long as she stays until the show's done. That could actually work.
With the addition of Sarah Shahi to the cast I'll probably go back and give Person of Interest a second try. I loved her in Life and I'll be honest I find her very easy on the eyes.
wasn't Nolan Funk on Warehouse 13? He played Claudia's boyfriend for a while.
If you're going to ask viewers to stop watching Honey Boo Boo, ask them to stop watching the KarTRASHians first.
Yeah I do agree but at least they have some semblance of intelligence and dignity, not much but it doesn't make me want to kill myself like HBB does
The Kardashians show isn't nearly as bad. At least they're all adults and their children are barely in it. Both shows are bad but Honey Boo Boo is morally reprehensible.
Tim, holy crap the Fox Mulder vomiting is tremendous. My sister coerced me into watching Honey Boo Boo, I think it's popular because it's like saying "how did it come to this???" The family members seem actually pretty bright but entirely lost in the environment in which they live which has dragged them down to these depths. "What do smart people do in a horrible environment? They live horribly and act out." At least the viewership was a mere 1 percent of this country... perhaps that's the real "one percent" that people should be rallying against!

Ugh, I'm not charmed by Axe Cop as it is, an animated form of that nonsense will not go over well for me.

Damn, Anthony Michael Hall went from '80s nerd kid to captain asshole on everything, why can't the poor guy play someone who's not a dick anymore?

Bieber on SNL? Sure, why not, he's clearly shown his ability to act in all that nothing he's acted in. Maybe he'll puke onstage again.
Think I am gonna be sick!
This instrument can teach, it can illuminate; yes, and it can even inspire. But it can do so only to the extent that humans are determined to use it to those ends. -Edward R. Murrow
This review is so funny

.... almost guaranteeing that we'll be getting 27 more seasons of the show until camera lenses no longer go wide enough to capture all of HBB's adult girth.

hahaha
For the Love Of God Please Stop Talking About Honey Boo Boo.
As long as networks are willing, no, eager, to show the deliberate exploitation of an innocent child, people better be talking about it and against it. That such a show should exist with the majority who watch silent about it is one of the most damning indictments of our society possible.
Hi,
I am not from America, yet I have heard much about that Honey Boo and her Jabba-the-hut-mother, I don´t know why, even in europe people are making fun of it!
I have never seen it, nor want I. And I really have to confess that some shows in our TV are maybe equally bullshit. But here at this lowpoint I can´t seem to understand why anyone would watch this show und totally lose worthy minutes of their lives...
Who is watching Honey Boo Boo? Better yet, why?!
hahahahahaha....I love reading Tim's reviews.

"... LISTEN UP! Whoever out there is watching TLC's Here Comes Honey Boo Boo, JUST STOP. What is your problem? Do you enjoy providing statistical evidence for why other countries should hate us? What do you have against the potential greatness of the human race? Have you been hypnotized by the telepathic monster that lives in Honey Boo Boo's belly fat? WHY!? More than 3.1 million viewers tuned in to Here Comes Honey Boo Boo: A Very Boo Halloween, making it the highest-rated episode of the hit series to date and almost guaranteeing that we'll be getting 27 more seasons of the show until camera lenses no longer go wide enough to capture all of HBB's adult girth. "

how do you not laugh,when you read this?? :D and also this:

"....NBC's new series Deception, which I trashed...."

I guess same people watch HBB that also watch that show,where kids are doing pagent contests. Those are horrible parents,making money on their children like that and making them wear make-up and all that sh*t.
So it seems I 'm the only one thinking Shahi is bad news for POI. Well I hope she'll prove me wrong(or the writers)...
I don't like this addition either, she seems too sun-shiny for this show, and I hope they're not introducing her simply for the sake of giving Reese a romantic interest ~ he already has Zoe and besides, it's too early in the show to even begin considering such a thing. And this actress in particular, is definitely not PoI material. I remain skeptical but will wait and see. So far the series has had excellent casting, so we owe the casting directors the benefit of a doubt at least.
Huh, I guess it all depends on your introduction to the actress. But "sunshiney"? Naaah.

Could just be that I know her best as the VERY sarcastic and acerbic, ex-druggie Detective Dani Reese, which IMO is her best role to date. She held her own as the straight (wo)man to Damian Lewis, in a way that didn't involve turning into a blubbering wreck (does Claire Daines REALLY deserve those Emmys?). Sure, Sarah Shahi may look all cheery in the press photos, but that's why people like her do this little thing called "acting". And she's definitely proved that she can play characters as hard as nails, and then some.

Hey, for all we know she could go the opposite direction and become a pocket Jessica Chastain. *Waterboard* *Waterboard* "If you lie to me, I will hurt you. You can help yourself by being fullsome in your responses."
I do understand what that little thing called acting is, thank you very much. You need to learn to be more polite when discussing with people who happen to not share your opinion. That happens a lot in life, if you bear a grudge against all of us you're going to end up with a bad ulcer...

I used to watch "Life" up until it ended and I'm still not convinced she is PoI material, her character and interpretation there seemed a little generic to me. I don't know if it was her fault or the writer's/director's, either way like I said, I'll keep an open mind and give the casting directors the benefit of a doubt that they have earned.
I don't see why... she's a solid actress. Sure, she's a cute ex-cheerleader but she also proved on the TV Series "Life" that she has some acting chops. She was quite solid on that.

On "Fairly Legal" it was just above average but I think it had to do more with the writing and content than her acting. But her "Life" role was probably closer in tone than what she would be on POI.

And this wouldn't be the first time POI had a recurring character played by a (relatively) small-time TV series actress who is TEH HOTNESS
Yep.

I don't blame her for Fairly Legal (seriously, Meryl frakking Streep couldn't have made that character tolerable) or for her short and rather pointless turn as a love interest in Chicago Fire. But dear god was she good in Life.

If the writers can follow through with the whole "She a badass" thing and not make her need to be rescued by Reese and co every episode (it's a CBS show, so I'm worried), well, Shahi's proved that she can play some kickass characters.
Sarah Shahi on Person of Interest is a great combo! That news made my day.
Honey Boo Boo....*shudders*....remember when we only had to worry about the Kardashians trashing-up our air waves? Simpler times. We didn't appreciate how good we had it back then.
One thing I like about POI is the way it handles the relationship between the different "heroes" of the show (Reese, Finch, Carter, Fusco) - It is very clear all the time what they are against and there are not "fights over nothing" between them. No soap opera here. I think the casting of actors also has made it posible to create this particular feeling of good vs evil, and I think Sarah Shahi will make an excellent addition to the heroes band. Sorry guys, the hotness doesn´t affect me, but I hear you :)
i hate honey boo boo...spoiled brat
you are among the ones,who watched it!!! :P
well fox did have drive
I learned about HBB from Southpark anyway I think KUWKardashians is a lot worse than HBB.
Creepy (and occasionally disgorging) Duchovny is one of the greatest gags this site has ever done. Tim, I tip my hat to you. And thanks must also go out to TV(dot)com member, sakuramankai, for inspiring Tim onto this wonderfully mad escapade.

I know people who watch Honey Boo Boo. They're everywhere. At my college. At my work. In my (thank god extended) family. Some of them aren't even ashamed to admit it. They claim it's funny. They claim it's a harmless reality show that's good for a laugh. I pray for their immortal souls.

SARAH SHAHI ON POI! And I hear her role will most likely extend to the 3rd season! Two of my favorite things coming together. I don't think I will be standing up for a while.
A noble effort, but I'm afraid you're wasting your time, FF. People who watch Honey Boo Boo either don't have souls or have long since abandoned them.
Haha! I had a feeling my weird Aunt Sylvia was soulless!
I fully agree with David Duchovny's reaction. I've loved Sarah Shahi ever since seeing her on Alias back in the day. Not that POI needs to get any better, it's great as it is, but more known, talented guest stars ( who are also stunningly beautiful - that never hurts) and Jonathan Nolan's continued involvement despite him being busy working with his famous brother and probably on some solo projects, promises more great things to come.

oh look, another SNL episode I will NEVER watch. way to go!

Honey Boo Boo is a don't don't
This comment has been removed.
No way, Really??
Hey, don't be cute. They made a spelling mistake, OK?
Disgusted Duchovny!

Very happy about Sarah Shani on Person of Interest. So is she gonna be the person that the machine somehow instructs to prevent the treats it was built to prevent?

Honey Boo Boo ratings, Biebs hosting SNL - it's a bad start for 2013...
Seeing as the title of the first episode she appears in is "Relevance", I would say it's a good bet we're going to finally see how the "relevant" cases identified by the Machine are handled.

I'm curious to see if the Machine also uses the Dewey Decimal System to communicate social security numbers to the Relevant Division (that's what I call them). Obviously thwarting terrorism is an international operation, so there must be some cases when the terrorists in question don't have a social security number at all. Maybe the Machine uses morse code to communicate a name or a specific place.

My interest is definitely piqued!

(P.S. Disgorging Duchovny! :D)
However, wasn't it suggested some time in season 1 that the machine just influences the outcome by somehow manipulating normal existing agencies such as Homeland Security, CIA, FBI or whatever? I thought that it just basically creates a file Terrorist_plot.rar on some FBI agent computer's desktop and lets people handle the rest.

Or was this just a thought that transformed into a truth in my own head? Or is there a special division/agency which deals with the machine selected terrorists?
You raise a a good point. The amount of people who know about the Machine is meant to be kept to a minimum. Now I'm thinking there is a special/agancy that deals with the "relevant" cases, possibly run by Sarah Shahi, and to your earlier theory, maybe they have no idea how they get their information. Classified informant bullshit and whatnot.
Exactly! I don't completely remember, either!

So many tantalizing questions. But I'm hoping for a special division/agency.
yes, the show will be finally progressing! I was afraid they did create that amazing machine just to leave us with Carter and Fusco pursuing common killers . oh yes, I do like them and it is good to save ordinary people, but this has to go forward too! :) Plus, something is telling me that a lot more people are going to be knowing about the machine through time...
Now I can't wait for that "Relevant" episode even more! :)

But I'm kinda hoping it's just one Sarah Shani, otherwise it would mean that a lot of people know about the machine, which doesn't seem likely. I'm hoping there's just the Shani character in CIA who alone gets these tasks and is influenced by the machine. Maybe she even tries suspecting something and then Finch and Reese have to deal with that.
Oh so THAT'S why Fox animation blocks never appealed to me. I'm just not in the target demographic.
Thanks for explaining it, Tim.
This sub-human creature is just another example of why some species eat their young. She is the poster child for abortion.
I agree; Bieber's the worst!
Honey Boo Boo, you just got Spewchovny-bombed.
Tim please never stop...you really make my day reading your stuff...You are one funny dude...the Mulder barfing had me laughing until my side hurt.....you crazy guy....
awwww :( I was wondering about where the progress stood for "In Living Color's" reboot... :(
Wow. So much vitriol directed at a child. So much vitriol directed at a child just for being low-class and overweight - two things she can't help. Just wow. Does it make you feel intellectual and discerning to make fun of marginalized people like that?
You are a friggin idiot. The vitriol is not directed at HBB. It's directed at the money making machine that is using her and the horrible audience that is enabling it all.
Akyriel, Surette referenced HBB's obesity twice, neither time blaming her for it. It's a prime reason for the show, so mentioning it is not bullying. But the repeated "YOU"s in the paragraph make it abundantly clear that the ones he holds responsible are the viewers. Jeremy, you're probably right, but I do think SQ is an idiot, and I needed to be clear because I don't think subtlety would work with someone with such poor reading skills. Personally, I don't blame HBB, or any other child at that age, for their physical condition. Those who brought them into the world, and their caretakers, however, are fully accountable. Her mom, everyone in the production crew and the executives of the TLC should all be in family court awaiting sentencing. And riku157, the reaction to such blatant and callous exploitation of a child SHOULD be harsh.
Someone photoshopped David Duchovny vomiting ON A CHILD, and you're okay with that. Really.

Making fun of an overweight person does not become acceptable when you tell them, "Oh, I'm not criticizing YOU, I'm criticizing your mother and the people around you and everybody who likes you." Imagine Alana in 10 years stumbling across the comment that someday she'll be too fat to fit on camera. Tell me how that's okay.

It's funny how everybody thinks the show itself is exploitation of a child, but the pages upon pages of cruel "joking" commentary by bloggers such as this one isn't also exploitative.
I'd just like to make a few points here.
The Photoshop of David Duchovny isn't actually vomiting 'on' the child.

In reading ALL of the comments I haven't read anywhere of anyone making fun of this child, the comments may not be acceptable to you but they aren't 'making fun' of her as you state.

Nowhere has anyone stated including the writer that they are criticizing anybody BUT the child's carers, the producers, production team & the station/s that show it as well as the audience who are allowing this show to continue & as you like to state 'exploit' this child. A small personal point here, I read just recently that HBB's mother stated that she was increasing her daughters intake of sweets, fried foods etc so that she wouldn't be able to lose any weight as she knew that the show relied on her daughter's weight & if she lost weight they'd lose the show. Mother of the Year perhaps??

Lastly, in what way, shape or form is somebody's point of view in a blog be considered 'exploitive'??
@ElisaDiaz

I do believe the show is exploitative and I don't like it; I think it exists just to let people make fun of this family. However, I'm even more against those who use the show itself as an excuse to mock the people in it. You can get away with saying absolutely vile things about this family as long as you say "I'm just critiquing the show!"

A lot of these critics, I find, aren't truly concerned about the exploitation aspect of it. They're just fundamentally disgusted by overweight, uneducated people being on their television.
I don´t know about you, but I am not against overweighted people on tv shows or anywhere, and I am not defending Tim. I am against this type of show and I want to be free to tell people that I am. Are you defending children's rights or the type of show?

I might be a little bit cold but I didn´t read it in the way you describe. I don´t find Tim as funny as other people do around here, and the vomiting was (for me) on his line of funny, not mine, but I read it about the show concept, not about the girl. Why would anybody laugh about a child? And then again, why would anybody watch a show that exploits an overweight child so that her parents can make money out of it? Since so many people feel sensitive about this, I do hope that Tim comes forward and clarifies anyways, since it has become even worse than it was after stanking's comments - I have to say, he's a little too direct, but I don´t see him as a bully neither. So at the end, maybe we can agree that this is just a case of bad taste images.
More +
agree on the exploitation of children, defenitely
I wouldn't go as far as to call her an idiot, problems with reading comprehension or not. That's just unnecessary. The rest of your comment I agree with.
Surette kind of made it a personal attack against the kid and calling her fat. If he was after the parents and TLC, he should have been more clear. Lots of kids are fat, but shouldn't be bullied by that fact.

I think it was Jennifer Lawrence on the Tonight Show who said she watches this show "to feel better about herself". Maybe others are watching for the same reason or to laugh at her instead of with her, which is sad in itself.

I don't watch crap like this, but don't make the kid fully responsible for it. Maybe, hopefully, whatever money they are making will do some good for her someday, but not having watched, who knows if it will only make her more spoiled and such in the long run.
People forget this kid isn't a hologram, she's a kid. It's sad.
I agree, @ElisaDiaz
I don´t think kids should be exploited in tv - cause she isn´t a hologram, or an actor, she is a real kid - and yes, it is really sad to see the use they (parents, tv producters) give of her and how people cannot help themselves and participate of it.
Her family is famous for nothing and is making a ton of money. I'd hardly call her or them "marginalized."
It was pretty harsh.
I sure hope Fox's decision to do mini-series pays off for them. I've been wanting to see some on Network TV for a while now and if they choose the right subject material I think viewers will be receptive to it.
Also, seriously, stop watching Honey Boo Boo. What's wrong with you?
Ok POI just went from great series to greatest series. Sarah Shahi as a badass, yes please.
Let's see here. Sarah Shahi is one of my favorite people. Person of Interest is one of my favorite shows. Shahi is awesome. POI is awesome. This news is going to give me some odd wet dreams tonight.
Get out of my head!