News Briefs: Fringe Will End Sooner Than We Thought

DOOMSDAY IS CLOSER THAN WE THOUGHT NEWS

... The series finale of Fringe is something no one in their right mind should be looking forward to, but at least we have until February 1 to hang on to the sci-fi show before it fades away forever. *record scratch* Uh-oh. Looks like the end date has been moved up. A few months after Fringe showrunner J.H. Wyman announced via Twitter that the series finale would air on February 1, Fox has released the official word that Fringe will end on January 18 with back-to-back episodes starting at 8pm. Yes, it's sad that this show will conclude sooner than we thought, but I'm totally on board with a two-hour blowout of consecutive episodes. It'll make that Costco-sized tub of grape licorice make a lot more sense if I have two hours to plow through at my Fringe farewell party. [Fox via press release]

USA CONTINUES TO REDUCE ITS DEFICIT NEWS

... Two days after cancelling Common Law and one day after cancelling Fairly Legal, USA Network has canceled ANOTHER show. The six-episode miniseries Political Animals will not be back for a second season after a lukewarm first run. The show, which starred Sigourney Weaver and followed a D.C. political family, may have been designated a miniseries, but the idea was that if it did well, it would get a series order. Really, it just wasn't a great fit for USA's brand. [TV Line]

BUSINESS TIME

... TLC has renewed Long Island Medium for a fourth season, but you knew that already didn't you because a ghost told you so. [TLC via press release]

... Breaking Bad's creator Vince Gilligan recently answered one of those dumb questions where someone wanted to know what show he'd like to see Breaking Bad do a crossover with, and he said Mythbusters. Ask and ye shall receive, Mr. Gilligan! An upcoming episode of the science show will test out the validity of a few scenes from Breaking Bad's first season, including the dissolving of a body and a bathtub with acid. I want to see them prove whether veggie bacon actually tastes like Band-Aids, like Walt Jr. says. [EW]

... If Becki Newton is part of a TV show, it's going to be pushed back and delayed and cut short and run into all sorts of problems, apparently. Newton's latest comedy The Goodwin Games has been cut down from 13 episodes to 7 for its midseason debut, with Fox citing the bounty of comedies it scheduled for this season. The same thing happened to Newton's last comedy, Love Bites, over at NBC. That series was eventually burned off and left in a ditch on the side of the road. [EW]

CASTING NEWS

... Modern Family has cast Gloria's mom. Elizabeth Pena will play Pilar, the woman whose baby came out of the womb screaming "JAAAAAYYYYYYY," in the 12th episode of the season. [TV Line]

... Breaking Bad's RJ Mitte (Walter White Jr.) will guest-star on an upcoming episode of CBS's Vegas. He'll play the younger brother of Nathan and join his bro in a life of crime. [THR]

... Touch is hosting a 24 reunion, bringing Kiefer Sutherland and Annie Wersching back together on Fox. Wersching will play Dr. Kate Gordon, a therapist who specializes in children. Look for her sometime in the spring. [EW]

... Six Feet Under vet Freddy Rodriguez has landed the lead in NBC's pilot After Hours. He'll play a hospital administrator in the drama about the night shift at an ER ward. [Deadline Hollywood]

PICTURES!

... Hey look, it's the first shot of Jessica De Gouw as The Huntress in The CW's Arrow! [EW]

As long as we get to see the parrallel universe at least once the season (I REALLY miss Bolivia!) I'll be fine!

I already got super excited before the intro when Walkter stepped into the 'other universe' but then ot "only" turned out the be a pocket universe - but what happened after that was all kinds of awesome still :D
Dear Fox,

Why are you so desperate to get rid of FRINGE? It's not like we have anything better to look forward to.

Sincerely,

Fringe Fans
Shame about the mask on The Huntress. Makes it look far too cheesy, as most of the villains on the show have been thusfar.
That's sad. I love Becki Newton. I wish she would go on a sucessful show!
i still cant believe that it is coming to an end.. :/
WHAT?! Political Animals is canceled?!!! WTF USA?? I liked that show. T.T
The League is just one of the funniest shows on TV, but get no love????
I wish Arrow would have given Huntress a more faithful costume like they are doing with Deathstroke. At least they could have made it purple like her comic counterpart. Instead it seems they are just going with plain black leather. After Deadshots costume was so off I had just hoped for something closer to the comics for Huntress.
Hmmm very disappointed about the Goodwin Games, it looked very good. But Becki Newton does seem to be cursed when it comes to pilots. Although Love Bites sucked, so that was going down no matter who starred in it.
Fringe will end even earlier than expected? So what? Good. The show started out mildly interesting with the whole The Pattern mystery. However, like most of J. J.'s shows, the show quickly devolved into a boring, mess that was uninteresting and clearly meandering. The (likely randomly written) story seems to have taken a completely arbitrary left-turn into nowhere and is hard to follow. Supernatural started out as an X-Files style monster-of-the-week episodic show which was only so-so, but got really good when it converted to a Buffy style monster-of-the-season serial. Fringe on the other hand started out with a sort of long-term serial storyline buried under a freak-of-the-week format, but when they switched to a serial, it actually became much worse and less interesting. This goes counter to historical experience. I particularly hate it when shows jump forward in time and make drastic changes to the cast. I did not like Desperate Housewives a whole lot to begin with, but when they jumped forward five years and shuffled most of the secondary cast, it was quite annoying; and they did that TWICE. Fringe did the same thing last season. To be honest, I think J.J. should just give up on television and stick to movies (not that he's much better at those). He did well with Alias; it was great right up until it's final season (5th) when it got lame. Six Degrees was amusing, but had a limited premise to being with. He started out fantastically with Lost until about the second season when it started turning into a steaming pile of crap. He tried to re-create Alias with Undercovers, and we all saw how that turned out. Alacatraz was promising and Person of Interest isn't too bad, but I wouldn't be surprised if it goes (and Alactraz would have gone) the way of all of his other shows: down-hill. Finally, Revolution is exactly like all of his other post-Felicity works: starts out with an interesting mystery, then quickly becomes crap. It's the same thing with Joss Whedon. Whedon and Abrams both had one or two hits, so fans wanted more from them. Unfortunately it turns out that these guys are more lucky, right-time, right-place, flashes-in-the-pan than high-quality, talented writers because they have been consistently putting out mediocre to awful works ever since their hits. Many fans have realized the truth, given up, and moved on, while some remain steadfast (and hopeful) in their fanaticism and keep exposing themselves to disappointment over and over.
FRINGE has been nothing less than an amazing and high quality thrill ride full of emotional and philosophical impact since day 1 (or day 10 to be more exact). Sure, the first part of Season one was problematic, but once they've found their way it only went up, with the ending of Season 2, Season 3 and majority of Season 4 being a peak of the series and modern television.

And what they did with Season 5 is nothing compared to Desperate Housewives where no change was seen except for Gabi's motherhood (that needed 3 more years to be explored to be honest to the basic level). Season 5 has until now flipped FRINGE upside down, created outstanding storylines (and a few average ones), but all in all, the FRINGE-verse is going to go down as a complete Abrams hit.

Alias and LOST were a hit & miss, with both of them being developed in the latter seasons too lazily. With FRINGE, you can see the planned steps, the vision created a long time ago, and a cast that is worthy much more than being forgotten about every EMMY year.
I think the point was made in the first paragraph, repeated various times in the overly-long post. Writing isn't easy, is it? You don't like Fringe then. Most Buffy fans probably wouldn't like it either.

"Started of interesting.... then became a mess." is a strange thing to say about Fringe. It's a woven story line, quite the opposite to a mess. If you don't like it, so be it.

Also, J J has proved himself in more than just a few hits. If you want to hit something negatively, check the basic facts first.

Fringe is a type of show that won't appeal to everyone. But the writing has been of an extremely high standard for TV. And it contained such a deep a textured story line, which is very hard to do. Shows like Supernatural, which has been more popular than Fringe, don't get close to the layered and thought-provoking story lines of Fringe.

And you are considering 'good' as being Buffy-style......... I think if I was a writer of Fringe, I would be happy to know I wasn't being compared to Buffy. It was good at what it did, but not something that shone for it's writing or thought provoking story lines. Fringe is in a different league. As is Homeland. Person of Interest is good, but it's not complex.

People that want Buffy / Person of Interest kind of simple, won't really be the types to fully enjoy Fringe.
More +
No, the first two seasons were the crap part of Fringe. It didn't really get good until the end of season 2. The Pattern was lame. Also, Whedon continues to do good things, your taste is just stuck in the late nineties.
Um, not really. I loved "Buffy", "Angel", "Alias", and "Cloverfield".

It's just that people get so enamored with shows sometimes, that they yearn for more of the same, but fail to realize that just because someone made something great, does not mean that everything they do is going to be equally awesome.

It's normal to check out the other works of someone who made something you like, people do it all the time in music, but unlike with music where most of an artist's songs will have the same general feel, the same cannot be said of television or movies, so not all of their work will be as great.

For example, Eric Kripke made "Supernatural" which is great, but he also made "Revolution" which is utter rubbish.

Of course that's not always going to be the case; for example Greg Garcia made "Yes, Dear", "My Name is Earl", and "Raising Hope", all of which are great shows.
This comment has been removed.
Agreed. Also, what's up with all those people blaming JJ Abrams for writing, plot details, screenplay, CGI, acting, season finales and what not. This guy is not solely responsible for these shows and every single episode.
It's his show; he has to take responsibility for what the other writers and such are doing with it.
you just dont like tv do you
Nope, not really. I watch about 70 shows per week and I like only about half-a-dozen; the rest are either boring or flat-out garbage.

Fringe isn't garbage, but at most I feel indifferent towards it. I discussed this show more in-depth at IMDB, but suffice it to say that it is not a show that can be watched one episode per week over several years (especially if you watch a bunch of other shows). The story is too intricate and needs to be watched as a marathon (which I am considering doing when season five comes to DVD).
Wrong.
Wrong-er.
People seem to misunderstand season 5 of Fringe.

The first 4 seasons was Fringe as we've known it, our characters solving the grand story.

FOX ended fringe, the writers are giving us their planned ending in Season 5, short as it may be, at least we will get to understand what they planned as an end game.

I'm happy we get to see it, and not end up with another Firefly
Thank you!

I understand the many complaints fans have about this season. The Observer/Invader storyline has felt a little rushed. Personally, I think the story would have best been told with 6 full seasons. But I also completely agree with you that this was always going to be the end game. And I will forever be grateful to FOX for allowing Fringe to have a proper conclusion when the ratings were as shockingly as they were consistently abysmal.

BUT

I am absolutely not of the opinion this season has been a disappointment. It frustrates me we're not even halfway through and people seem to be already writing it off. What other show could pull off multiple universes, multiple timelines, plus an audaciously futuristic invasion plot and weave it all into a comprehensive fabric? Season 5 may not have been what many expected, but why is that a detriment? In my opinion, originality should be applauded not punished.

We will never see another show like Fringe again. We should all appreciate it while it lasts.
I agree completely, so far I've liked Season 5.

Yeah it was a little rushed, and I was surprised when we were thrown into the future like that. But once that surprise settled....bring it!

Fringe and it's writers have taken us so many unexpected places, and unlike Lost that tried the same, they are much better at answering questions and making sense of the mysteries. I concur - it'll be a long long time before any other show will even dare do what Fringe has done.
i would put like 20 more likes to your post if i could, fringefanatic
The Huntress makes me happy.

Why the change in Fringe's schedule? Now I have to call my friend and say that I can't attend his wedding because it clashes with Fringe! And I was supposed to be the best man. Priorities, priorities...
This season is a embarrassment for the all fringe series

Ending it on the 18th is not soon enough for me

I choose to see that the series ended on season 4 and

this horrible season never existed (still hope this is nothing more than Peter dream)
FOX killed Fringe. The show really could have been almost as popular as The X-Files and run for a similarly long time, but FOX just had to move it from a timeslot it was doing great in, to Thursdays where it almost died. It was about the time where CSI destroyed everything on Thursdays. At least that's how I remember it. FOX execs are clueless. They haven't learned anything from their numerous past mistakes, they don't care about the network's reputation going down the toilet. Shame Fringe became yet another casualty of their terrible decision making. Oh well. It was fun while it lasted.
No they didn't. They kept it around as the ratings sunk like a stone. They gave it a second season after the first was mediocre, allowing it to blossom into the great show it became.

Hey, it's in its FIFTH SEASON. It will have 100 episodes when its run is finished. That's nothing to sneeze at.
I agree Jeremy. They should have left it on Tuesdays like when it first debuted instead of shuffling it around.
I hope Fringe have planned the finale well......... I would prefer not having everything happen in 2 back to back episodes.
Bittersweet news about Fringe. But it will be nice to watch a two episode finale.

Sad about Political Animals. Really liked that show.
We have had so much fun over the years. Oh Fringe, I will miss you so much!
I am a big fan of this show.
I hoped as much and it's finally appening!

They are closing Fringe sooner than expected!

I was a fan of this show (and i'll watch every single episode), but it has become a burden rather than a plesure.
It sucks that Fox forces you to watch it even though you don't enjoy it anymore, right?
There were guys here...
In black suits...

They made me watch...
THEY MADE ME WATCHHH!!!!

Seriously now, i watched all the episodes cause i was a fan (i still am, i enjoyed most of it, so...) and i wanted to see the end of it.
I usually don't leave any series behind (well, except for Heroes).
NOOOOOO!

I had everything planned! My therapist and I had intricately detailed a Fringe detox plan with very specific target dates. By January 18th I was only supposed to be on the immersion therapy stage, where I confront my Fringelessophobia (the fear of a world without new episodes of Fringe). Now we're going to have to retool the whole thing!

Oh, and I also reserved the Blimp in the Red Universe for my farewell Fringe party on February 1st! And I'm quite certain those non-coffee drinking bastards won't be refunding my deposit (they also screwed me on the conversion rate).

Fanaticism takes its toll, guys.
What do you think about the current season? I'm not hearing good things.
Read my response to lostcause78.
I have to admit I'm bummed about Political Animals. I really enjoyed that show. I mean Sebastian Stan was awesome, so was Weaver, and Barrish. I felt like they had something there. Here's to hoping Sebastian Stan will be a regular on OUAT and appear on other things because not seeing him would be criminal.
Maybe if the idiots at FOX could wake up and realize they got scammed by Simon Cowell into buying American Idol again, they would cancel X Factor and have the time to run, or give better chances to, their scripted programming despite the fact some of those shows may not be worth it in the end, but still....
Five seasons.

100 episodes.

That's not giving Fringe enough of a chance?
It's in reference to the Goodwin Games.
Long Island Medium has been on for Three seasons...really? Man people will fall for anything. P.T. Barnam was right, there's a sucker born every minute. It's called Cold Reading folks, look it up (Hot reading as well).
I'm a huge fan of Fringe, but I think this season isn't respectful to the audience. If I new this season was ging to be like this,I would have prefered ending it last season.
I have to agree. Fringe actually started really going downhill for me with them just closing the connection to the alt universe, after spending so long jumping back and forth between the two. I'm curious to see if the alt universe and what is happening there will even be mentioned in any of the remaining episodes, I doubt it. The whole idea of Walter & the gang being able to move so freely is silly IMO, after telling us how tight security is on multiple occasions.
I'm all for it, i can't wait to see how all of it unravels.
Fringe: to be honest so far this season has been quite weak, so I'm happy that it's going to just end.
It is absolutely pathetic that shows like Fringe get cancelled, and other top quality shows get the axe before a season 2, yet we see crap like Jersey Shore have a season 5, and dont even get me started on shows like Big Brother...............

This is the reason why mainstream TV is a dying breed..

START GETTING RATINGS FROM ONLINE VIEWING FFS...... ITS THE FUTURE ALREADY!
TV stations are not in the business of putting shows on the air. TV stations are in the business of selling advertising. Because of this, they're really, REALLY not interested in how many people are DVRing the show and skipping the commercials, or watching online seeing someone else's commercials.
I'm ok with a faster Fringe ending, as long as they don't cut further in the episode count.

For Etta!
USA better not cancel Necessary Roughness, Psyche, White Collar or Covert Affairs. Royal Pains I watch but could live without.
Nope all those shows (and it's Psych, not Psyche) are safe.
I guess my suicide is going to take place a few days earlier.
Suicide pact? I encase you in Amber, then I encase myself? Or would you prefer the other way around?
LOL this reminds me of Community and the Firefly suicide pact
Why don't you just cross over into a different universe where Fringe gets huge ratings and gets renewed for another couple of years?
I tried! I even went so far as to inject myself with Cortexiphan so I could cross over. But all I got was the stupid ability to fly.
I guess we can call Walter for a little help on that topic. After all nothing is a problem if you have done acid!

• 8:30 pm