News Briefs: Game of Thrones Is the Most Pirated Show of the Season

ARRRRRRRRRRRR NEWS

... Congratulations, Game of Thrones! A lot of people are so addicted to you that they are willing to break the law to watch every one of your episodes. The HBO fantasy series was the most pirated show of the spring by a wide margin, averaging approximately 5.2 million illegal downloads per episode. That's almost the same number of people who watch the show legally—an estimated 5.5 million viewers—and well above the number of people who stand in my yard and watch it through my living room window when I'm tuning in. Rounding out the top 10 pirated shows of the season are The Big Bang Theory (2.9 million), How I Met Your Mother (2.85 million), The Walking Dead (2.7 million), Hannibal (2.1 million), Vikings (1.9 million), Arrow (1.85 million), The Vampire Diaries (1.8 million), Modern Family (1.75 million), and Revenge (1.7 million). [TorrentFreak]

poll

BUSINESS TIME

... Apparently AMC's Mad Men had an up-and-down season creatively, but when it comes to ratings, it was pretty much the same old, same old. Last night's Season 6 finale pulled in an audience of 2.7 million viewers, about the same as last season's (give or take a hundred thousand people), but it was just big enough for AMC to tout it as the highest-rated Mad Men finale ever. Did you know that we here at TV.com review some of these television episodes? It's true! Proof: MaryAnn wrote about Mad Men's season finale. [Variety]

... Lifetime debuted Devious Maids, a.k.a. Los Housewives Desperados, this past weekend and it did rather pedestrian in the ratings. Just 2 million people tuned in to watch the latest from Desperate Housewives creator Marc Cherry. Lifetime's top shows hover around the 3 million mark. [EW]

... Discovery Channel continued to look like a shell of its former self last night with a live broadcast of daredevil tightrope artist Nick Wallenda walking across the Grand Canyon on a two-inch wide high-wire with no harness and only Jesus to guide him along. And lots of people tuned in to watch him fall to his death (he made it safely to the other side)! The broadcast averaged 8.5 million viewers, but at its peak, 13 million viewers took a peak at the program, crushing everything on network television. Now if only Discovery could get a mermaid to walk across a tightrope, it would be ratings super-gold! [Deadline Hollywood]

CASTING NEWS

... Expect a very cranky American person to arrive at Downton Abbey. Legitimately great actor Paul Giamatti will drop by the fourth season of the PBS import as Harold Levinson, brother of Cora and uncle to Mary and Edith. His character is described as a maverick playboy, and will appear in the Season 4 finale next year. (The image above is from the movie Win Win because that movie is awesome.) [TV Line]

... Hunky twins Charlie and Max Carver have been cast in the HBO pilot The Leftovers, the Rapture-themed drama from Lost's Damon Lindelof. The facsimiles, best known for playing the Scavo twins on Desperate Housewives, will play—you guessed it—twins who befriend the main character's daughter. [Deadline Hollywood]

... Boardwalk Empire's Julianne Nicholson has landed the lead role on Sundance Channel's original drama The Descendants. A straight-to-series order for six episodes, The Descendants follows a sheriff who's struggling to prevent a small town and a Native American tribe from tearing each other apart. Nicholson, whose other credits include Law & Order: Criminal Intent and Ally McBeal, will play the sheriff's boozing wife. [Deadline Hollywood]

SAD NEWS

... Gary David Goldberg, the creator of Family Ties and Spin City, passed away on Sunday at the age of 68. The multiple-Emmy winner helped launch the careers of Michael J. Fox and Scrubs creator Bill Lawrence (Lawrence co-created Spin City with Goldberg). Goldberg's other credits in varying capacities included The Bob Newhart Show, Alice, Brooklyn Bridge, and The Tony Randall Show. You'll remember the title card for his production company, Ubu Productions, which I've embedded below. [Zap2It]

Just curious what free to air TV is like in other countries - here in Australia, there were only about 7 free to air channels until pretty recently. now there are 21 but are mostly still variations on the same channel (e.g. ABC1, ABC2, ABC3 and ABC News) meaning it's less competitive. In fact we're still transitioning to digital. And what we have can be pretty swamped with reruns at times, taking good time slots away from some good shows. there's only so many reruns of Two and a Half Men you can put up with each week.
If downloading is illegal in the US, you guys are screwed.
Over here, it's not illegal to download, but it's illegal to offer copyright protected stuff for download.
That is exactly how it works here as well. Which is why people get busted using BitTorrent in the US. While streaming the content and not distributing it is totally fine and won't get you in any trouble.
(this is, of course all completely hypothetical... ) as I said before, a big problem is a pay network having ONE show of interest for a few months out of a year.

I'm sure people will line up to explain in exhaustive boring detail how wrong I am, but I don't see downloading a personal copy as "pirating" (especially in the case of TV shows) you're making no money off of it. now sure, if someone downloads the new Superman flick and starts burning them to DVD and sets up a stand on the corner or at a flea market, yeah.. they're pirating, costing the company money by highjacking and selling their movie.

Personally if it's on a network that I'm not going to pay to watch one show a few months out of the year, I'd (hypothetically, of course) download and watch and save a downloaded copy til I buy the DVD boxset. Now without ever seeing the show, I certainly wouldn't be buying the boxset, so right there, they make money that they never would have seen off my download. not to mention if I loan the DVD to a friend and they get into it and buy their own copy. (Which, hypothetically, has happened with Psych, Big Bang Theory, Dexter, Castle and a few others)

Now hypothetically, I wouldn't bother with it for games unless it's borderline interest and there's no demo (remember those? most games used to have one before they started shoveling out buggy crap at inflated prices and wanted to hide that fact til you were already committed at a premium price) and I'd rather have a legit copy linked with Steam to play with friends and get updates for anyways.

Bt if they want to waste time and money tracking people down for downloading tv shows, go for it. most of the smart ones use a proxy and if they got through that they'd up up led to a wifi for a public place anyways.

(Hypothetically of course.)
Meh, you're mostly right. Though HBO has more than one show: GoT, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Veep, Boardwalk Empire, Newsroom, True Blood, and a bunch of others are still "active" Unfortunately there's not a lot of overlap.

But in general, yeh. Paying a whole year's subscription for what amounts to maybe 3-4 shows/week on AVERAGE is a bit steep.

I subscribe to it though; even 2 shows a week means 8 per month which isn't too bad price-wise. Plus they have alright-movies and HBO Go gives me back-logs of their shows if I missed anything.
downloading is legal where I live, so no problem there. and for those who don't approve of illegal downloading, they must know that the revenues are from advertisement and the sale to the foreign market. It's not as if any of these shows will go broke.
Yep. I refuse to watch commercials plus the itunes 1080p stuff is bluray quality and better then I can receive via satellite.

I really only use my tv subscription to watch live events and tune into CNN and MSNBC occasionally.

Hey, if HBO (and every other major creator/network) would allow me to purchase a subscription to their shows via the internet instead of forcing me to buy a cable tv package and then buying a subscription I can honestly say that I would not pirate their shows. This is not 20 years ago; the internet is by far a bigger medium for broadcasting shows than cable tv and it's time they realized that, Netflix sure as hell did.
First off, it's illegal (or unlawful if you're looking at civil courts), that much is without doubt. Those of you who think that it's acceptable because you don't have access to the particular channel due to being out of the US, not home, or forgot to set your DVR are simply trying to justify illegal acts. Simply because you live outside of the US does not gvie you the right to not pay for content. It's as if I were saying, as a citizen of a state that hasn't legalized marijuana, that I should be able to smoke it without consequence. Fact is, I can't, because it's illegal where I live. I could go to the states where it is legal and enjoy it there, but that's not necessarily feasible all the time, so guess what, I do it in my state but accept the risk and consequences. Also, who gives a crap if the people who own the networks are uber-rich and complete a-holes? Why should that matter? Welcome to capitalism. Let's say you invented something, or better yet, wrote a book or a piece of media. I can almost guarantee you that even when you're very wealthy, you still will want to get paid for your work.

I don't care if you want to download tv shows, I do it as well, but stop kidding yourself. You ARE stealing. It's not a gray area, it's black and white, it's theft. I can't understand how people can overlook that fact.

Also, let's clear something up. Downloading a copyrighted file is not illegal or unlawfuil. It's the distribution of that file that gets you into trouble. Hence why people get nailed on torrents. The fact that you typically need to seed the file while downloading is what trips you up. Perhaps you should try googling alternative methods of acquiring such content. A few options would be: stream it from one of the handful of great streaming websites around. Or, better yet, if you still want to download the copy, I can tell you that the original place you could find content such as this, is still there. These places have never been taken down, harassed, or bothered. It's just that it's basically unknown to the general population. I won't tell you exactly where to go, but there are several services that provide this content from offshore servers that have the same files as you'll find on TPB or other such torrent sites.

Man up and admit it -- it's theft.
Downloading a show is not stealing its copying, the creator arent loosing items, were copying it, quite a large difference, on that note, I would download a car hell yeah.
"Simply because you live outside of the US does not gvie you the right to not pay for content."

I do agree. Only problem: the content is usually not available to buy in the country I live, or not before months or years later. I honestly would be happy to legally download/pay for a subscription to whatever may allow me to legally watch those show. But since I don't live in the US, nor in an English-speaking country, this option just doesn't exist. So yeah, it's nice to be accused of theft when you have absolutely no way of getting the content legally. Believe me, I looked, and I tried.
I completely understand your point -- I truly do, you have no where else to go to devour the content. Still, that being said, you are not forced into doing watching these shows, it's your choice. So, you are being accused of theft (which is probably not the correct word or crime) because you committed theft. Just because something isn't offered where you live doesn't give you the right to go out and steal it :)

The whole point of my statement was to try and convey this notion that folks who download tv shows because they don't want to pay the exorbitant (that's the real crime!) price for cable or don't live in the area the content is offered, have this sense of entitlement -- that they should be able to watch it because they want to -- but in reality they don't have any rights whatsoever to go ahead and take it anyways.

I don't care that you do, i just want people to accept that what they are doing is illegal and you have no entitlement to take something simply because you can't get it otherwise. A very bad example might be that I don't live in Florida and I really like Disney World; It's not offered where I live so I'm going to fly down to Florida and kidnap the actors who play all the characters and fly them back to the state I live in so i can watch them play out Disney characters forever.. because I have the right to visit Disney World even though it's not offered in my state. So yeah, pretty bad and a bit twisted example, but I think the logic holds.

Also, you might try looking into proxy or VPN connections within the US if you want to go legal. That should give you a US IP so you can stream HULU or whatever -- at least in theory it should work.
More +
It does work, and to be completely honest, I use that solution often enough, and my downloading has gone down quite a bit since then.
I do see your point, and I know what I'm doing (when I do it) is illegal. But it doesn't make sense that they want people to pay for a content that isn't available for them to pay for. That's all.
I bet when you was the class monitor in grammar school you always took down the names of those who talked while the teach was gone....yeah everyone always likes your kind..goody two shoes..and a snitch..
Yep, exactly... Not at all, I just want people to take ownership of their actions and stop hiding behind this sense of entitlement -- of which no one has any to works created and sold by someone else. That was my point, not that I care what you end up doing.
Think about your marijuana comparison one more time.
Additional Comment: The reason it is not illegal is due to a case years ago where it was decided that you are allowed to download a copy of content you own already. Now, obviously, none of us own this season GoT at this point in time, so currently any shows that are on DVD would probably be considered illegal if downloaded. However, any content that has been released already for sale and ownership (ie: physical discs or downloadable media via iTunes, etc..) is up for grabs. Long story short, if the media is for sale, download it if you want it. A lawyer would have a hell of a time proving you don't own the content already. On the flip-side, if it hasn't been release (ie: this season of GoT) for sale.. it's certainly not a gray area to the law. It's considered stolen property.

Anyway, enjoy your shows no matter you acquire them. I don't really care. Just don't try and justify the means with an argument such as, "I just want to watch it, so I should be able to"...
Very well said. It's similar to downloading a movie that's still in theaters, that's isn't a gray area of the law either, it's certainly theft. That's why I only download movies after they are for sale on DVD, and because I'm totally against people illegally filming them on theaters, and also because of the better image/audio quality obviously. But when TV shows aren't airing on your country for a long time and everyone are talking a lot about it now? It's almost impossible not to download them, otherwise you'll constantly worried someone is going to spoil the story for you, which probably ends up happening, adding that to the fact that no one will want to talk about it with you when you're finally able to watch it legally and the result is a drastic decrease in the interest to watch it for most people, if they choose to wait that long.

In your previous comment you said:
"the original place you could find content such as this, is still there. These places have never been taken down, harassed, or bothered. It's just that it's basically unknown to the general population. I won't tell you exactly where to go, but there are several services that provide this content from offshore servers that have the same files as you'll find on TPB or other such torrent sites. Just do a little digging to figure it out. Not only is it much faster -- it doesn't rely on crappy P2P connections -- there is no seeding, EVER. This means you are never the distributor of the content, thus you are not committing any illegal or unlawful act."
I used to download all my TV shows and some movies through 'MegaUpload' but then that site was taken down by the FEDs, only to be later proven that the site was totally legal, but the damage was already done. I haven't found any other good and up to date sites like that since. Although honestly I didn't waste many hours trying. It's these kind of sites you are referring to? If yes, I guess I have to search more, because I would prefer it to using torrents any day.
More +
" But when TV shows aren't airing on your country for a long time and everyone are talking a lot about it now? It's almost impossible not to download them, otherwise you'll constantly worried someone is going to spoil the story for you, which probably ends up happening, adding that to the fact that no one will want to talk about it with you when you're finally able to watch it legally and the result is a drastic decrease in the interest to watch it for most people, if they choose to wait that long."

This is exactly my point. You feel like you are entitled. And you are not. It's not free, and simply because you want to keep up with message boards and not be spoiled when you read something about a show doesn't give you carte blanche.

Like I said, I don't care if people download the stuff or stream it all. What I am after is for people to stop hiding behind this feeling of entitlement and own up to the fact they breaking the law. You may not agree with how the law is structured, but it's still the law.
@bruno_fmenedes below.

Not sure why I can't reply to your reply. But yeah, I do agree you.. The label of pirate is a bit harsh. Though I guess I can see the reasoning behind how the content sharing folks have been deemed pirates. Since we are essentially taking what is not ours and distributing the 'booty' to others in our group -- if you're of the P2P sharing kind.

Still, it is harsh, and undeserved. I can certainly see your point. Unfortunately, I think it's here to stay. I'm trying to think of something better.. bootlegging isn't accurate either, since it's not a reproduction as it's source material.

I dunno, maybe it's time for someone to coin a new word..
I never said I'm not breaking the law. I only said that I'm not hurting or stealing anyone, which is what the words "pirate and piracy" are associated with unfortunately. In other words, I'm just saying I and people like me don't deserve to be called "pirates", it's unjust and insulting, because that word has a history behind it that has nothing to do with free-online-sharing of TV shows/movies/music. Was only recently has it started to be used so broadly, for no justifiable reason. So, to conclude, I don't agree with how the law is structured and I know I'm breaking it, but I don't think I'm a "pirate" and that that word, "piracy" and "pirated" are being used in a fair and sensible way by politics and the media, being this post written by TimSpot one good example.
Cam versions of new movies are a joke and a waste of time to watch anyone with a cell phone makes a copy of a movie posts it and it always suks worst quality and sound ever made and they are proud of their dud movies lol..Me I wait for the DVD version...
It's certainly not theft, that area is indeed not gray. It's piracy, it's copyright infringement. But it's most certainly not theft, the law is quite clear about that actually.
You are absolutely correct. My mistake. I suppose I use the word theft to reinforce the idea that you are in fact stealing someone's work without paying the proper price. Piracy is perhaps theft by another name I suppose. The same logic applies either way.

Whats funny is the Media Movie corporation moguls with their Millions of lobby Dollars have convinced (Paid off I mean BRIBED) Congress and Senators and the ISPs that they were losing money hand over fist because of pirating but its far from the truth they actually still make billions of dollars off their new movies and TV shows even if they are pirated, only now they have convinced the powers that be to let them become the internet police our cyber lords and masters and have convinced ISPs to hand over your internet logs so they can watch what you do..and throttle down or cut off your service if they don't like what they see this is to much power in the hands of the greedy 1% .This is wrong on so many accounts its not funny...I don't care how many movies or mp3s people Download its more wrong to become owned by these media giants and have them in my home watching over my shoulder while im on the internet to see what I am doing than it is for folks to download their movies. The trade off is tyrannical and UN American and not worth what we have to give up so these media greed barons can milk us for everything we are worth so they can become richer and richer. Everyone is upset over the NSA spying on our emails and phone calls and yet they think this is ok they all live in a bubble and don't have a clue. Anyone looking over your shoulder waiting for you to do something wrong and doing it in the privacy of your own home is corporate communism. We should vote for candidates who are against this kind of serfdom being forced on freedom loving Americans and those of you who agree with these draconian methods are blind and ignorant...and deserve what you get...
More +
I love the new GoT community page too!
80% of the shows I watch do not air in my country,and mosttimes there are viewing restrictions for those outside of the area. I think networks would make a lot more money if they made the episodes available in the first place.
And if they would take the numbers from pirate sites and their streaming sites into consideration, maybe they would get more accurate ratings on their shows. It is shear idiocy from my point of view not to capitalize on people who would pay when they had the option to, considering the times and how networks are struggling.
One of the reasons downloads seem to be so big now is that there's just so much on TV now, especially during prime time. I'm wondering how many Tuesday shows next season will get high download numbers. I've noticed myself having to record shows at later hours on different channels just to catch everything. And one can't rely upon summer reruns anymore.

You know maybe if broadcasters are really concerned they could air ads asking people not to distribute their material illegally. That wouldn't stop the problem but it could have a significant impact. But then they couldn't sell that ad time. Maybe they just don't care about it.
If I could stream these show as they air without the commercials I'd be all for it. Unfortunately I'll either have to buy a TV and then wait a week for these shows to air and deal with spoilers or keep on seeding.
With everyone talking about The Red Wedding - you pretty much had to d/l the show if you didn't have HBO. I'm no fan of corporate power so I could care less if people d/l'd a show or not. If you want to be a good little capitalist then you can feel free to go right ahead and pay for everything. Unfortunately most people in our current environment - of corporations suppressing wages and shipping our jobs overseas - just can't afford it.
Make your shows available on demand so people can still watch legally without a cable contract. This is why we can't have nice things HBO, like more dragons!
if i want to watch GoT on tv i have to pay a monthly fee to get digital tv and a premium package.
belgium is already quite expensive when it comes to internet subscriptions so i rather get my money's worth rather than having to pay even more for digital tv and a premium package.
If HBO would just release their shows for sale online like everyone else (via iTunes or other retailer) then they wouldn't have this problem. I am not going to order cable, plus a premium package just to watch 10 episodes of 1 show.

As for ad supported tv shows, the networks should be releasing them via torrent themselves WITH the commercials in them! I don't understand why they don't do this already....
Of course they would still have that 'problem'. GoT is an incredibly popular show and therefor gets pirated a lot. Easy online access might help a bit on that front but it would far from eliminate piracy.
i honestly dont see downloading tv shows as illegal. whats the difference between downloading a tv and watching it when you can or DVRing a show and watching it when you can. there really is no difference.
That might be true for network shows like Hannibal or The Big Bang Theory. But HBO is a premium channel. Downloading GoT is illegal and the show loses out on potential higher revenue & budget.

But HBO should still be more proactive and allow people to subscribe to HBO GO without a cable subscription.

International broadcasting rules and regulations also do more harm than good. All shows should have same day world wide release.
HBO doesn't lose out on anything they don't care if you download their shows you see they still make millions of dollars even with the pirates so its all hype and BS coming from the media giants...HBO will not release their shows to be watched because of contracts with yup you guessed it cable and satellite companies...you see they are obsolete now in the age of instant movies on demand and will not yield their power they still want you to pay $100 plus or more a month to them for the privilege of watching their commercial laden crap.
The shows lose out. Writers, actors, behind the scenes production teams.

One of the creators of GoT already mentioned that they couldn't write certain scenes because of budget constraints. They wanted to show more of the dragons, but didn't have the money to do it.

Content production and creativity suffer because of outdated studio rules AND piracy.

I'd rather spend some money than deal with the endless proliferation of reality TV shows.
I live in a country where the only american and british TV show available are NCIS, CSI and Inspector Barnaby. And most of the time, those shows are not subtitled but dubbed.
I would be glad to pay to have an access to internationnal TV shows, whether from UK, US Scandinavia, Israel, Poland and so on... I would thus contribute to the success of the shows I like. My "viewing of the show" would be counted before cancelling a show that attracts 3 millions viewers per episodes from legal watching, but goes up to 5 or 6 millions counting illegal dowload, like Hannibal.
So please, can I pay for my TV shows ?
And could we have and edit button ?
BTW, it's interesting that many of the video clips and pictures used on this site have had watermarks indicating they came from a TV source. I have to presume that this site paid for the rights to use them. If not, that would make TV.com pirates.
I download a lot of stuff, kinda a way of life for me now, have done it since I was a kid. I want to feel bad about it, but honestly? .. I really don't. I will try to get a better system going in the future because it is illegal but... meh, not feeling the pressure to do it atm,
My philosophy is that as they don't show a lot of the stuff I download anywhere in my region, I download them, watch them and if they are really good, I will buy them in solidarity or to support the specific show or artist or whatever. Just don't feel like I want to buy stuff before I have even seen/heard them. For me it is like I am taking a test-drive.
I honestly believe that it is my right as a possible client. I might be just part of that generation that is so used o it, that it thinks that its their right.. I don't know. No one in is even really implementing anything to stop it (at least in Europe) and also I think if governments start doing that, it is a slippery-slope towards censorship.
Okay, rant over.
In France (and I'm guessing in many countries as well), the shows either air a year later or don't at all. And in some cases, believe it or not, you cannot watch the show in English, you have to watch it dubbed in French and trust me, it's just not watchable. I cannot believe that in 2013, as SinspaW said, there is no streaming service that would allow anyone to watch shows for a small fee...
Plus in France TF1 and France 2 show series that are seasons back, i.e CSI. Canal Plus is more recent for series as Viking and Homeland, but of course you have to pay for it. I agree for the dubbing, but you have teletexte for VO.
This, totally. I am in Finland and the show is a year late here as well.
Most of the shows don't even air in The Netherlands, except for those who get the ax after one season. It is utterly ridiculous.
GoT is one of the hardest shows to get. If you don't want to blow ten zillion dollars on a thousand cable channels you'll never watch just to get the premium HBO package, your only other option is to wait a year for the DVD set. Or pirate it.
As others have said - I postivite that the numbers of pirate viewers of the network shows would be ALOT smaller if it didn't include viewers from outside the US.

It really isn't that strange that a Hannibal fan in Sweden or a HIMYM fan in New Zeeland don't wanna wait for like a year to see the latest episode... Specially since you wanna participate in the online discussions afterwards :)

Since HBO have launched international versions, making the episodes of their shows available within 24 hours from their original US airing, one can only hope that other will follow.
Damn, I'm in a tiny minority by not downloading shows or movies illegally on this site, no wonder everybody gets their knickers in a twist when it comes up in conversation!

I watched Nick Wallenda walk Niagra Falls and it was fun, but how many times can we see a guy walk nature's wonder on a tightrope for hours at a time? Once was the answer for me.
All I want is a god damn streaming service that works worldwide. Let me pay a small fee per episode, per season, per show, per whatever, and let me stream live from when they are airing it in the US. Then, I won't pirate. I just can't do with the waiting around when I know it's readily available.
If they stop bugging me with 24 ads per sec maybe I'll watch tv...Until then I'll stick with torrents.
I don't understand, if you don't have HBO isn't that your choice?
Not if you live outside the US :)
then you patiently wait, like we do for BBC shows
...or you use your influence as a consumer and make the distributors know that change is needed (and, of course, support the embryos of change, like the international versions of Netflix and HBO GO)
BTW - at the moment watching trough unofficial streaming sites (as opposed to Bittorrent etc.) is still legal in several European countries.
I personally think that this fairly recent trend, to call the peer-to-peer file sharing as 'piracy', it's completely unjust and and even insulting. I hate that nowadays it seems normal to call such a name, that's associated to robbery/theft, violence in the sea and the act of copyright infringement intentionally committed for financial gain. Does psp sharing hurt anyone or generates profit like the other types of pirates? No! So why call it 'piracy' instead many other possible names?

I understand it's wrong to share something that was obtained illegally. Filming a movie in theater with a camera and then sharing it online is wrong. But the pirate-like part of that, and the one that should be more combated by the authorities, is the act of illegally filming the movie in the theater. But what's wrong about downloading an episode of a TV show you couldn't watch otherwise, either because you aren't at home when it's on and forget/don't know how to program the recorder, or because you live in a country where that show isn't on (or its behind by many months or years), or because you simply don't have a TV at home, or because of some other reason like that?

Personally I don't have a TV in my apartment and only watch a bit of TV at my parents house, when I visit them. So, the only way I have to watch TV shows is by downloading them. If I couldn't download them I would still not buy a TV, I would just read more books. I'm I a 'pirate'?
Television is either ad-supported or subscription-supported. By not viewing it through either of those methods, you are taking the financial reward for programming you enjoy out of the hands of those who use such financial rewards to make more of the programming you enjoy, hence: "piracy". You are taking something that doesn't belong to you for your own personal consumption, piracy doesn't necessarily mean to generate profits. When a single viewer does it, they see themselves as a drop in the bucket, but how much money is taken away from your favorite shows when a million+ drops hit that bucket? Even when you use your DVR to fast forward past commercials, you are still adding some level of value by watching legally because DVRs have viewer tracking which is reported back to the networks who put on your programming.

Your only justification there is that you simply want it, it's convenient and easy and it's something you want. That isn't a justification for an illegal thing.
Another thing I forgot to mention. It's because I can download TV shows and see them that I come to this site often, to read and comment about them. It's also makes it possible for me to talk about it with friends and recommend shows for them to watch. If I stop downloading them, I will also stop coming to this site and stop talking about them with my family and friends. Would that be better for the programming?

Because I will certainly never want to watch a TV show enough that it deserves all the money that it costs to set up a cable system and pay all the monthly bills, that's a fact! 99% of what's on TV everyday is crap and doesn't deserve my money, period! But I will certainly buy the DVD collection of my favorite shows, Friends probably being on top of that list, since it's also a favorite of my brother, because I could download it, otherwise I wouldn't know how much I love to watch it. Do you know how hard it would be to catch all the old episodes of a show like that? And even if I had cable I couldn't watch the 3rd season of Game of Thrones, because it's not on in my country yet. So why throw all that money for nothing? If we could legally download for a fair price any episodes of any TV show, even if it was only a week after it aired on TV for the first time, than I could agree with you that I probably shouldn't illegally download them.

"When a single viewer does it, they see themselves as a drop in the bucket, but how much money is taken away from your favorite shows when a million+ drops hit that bucket?"
ANSWER: Do you know if any money is being taken away from the shows? I just said I would buy cable if I couldn't download it, so how am I taking money away? Or are you implying that if no one "illegally" shared TV shows online those shows would have more profit? If so, how do you know that? Do you have any study to support your claim or that's what makes sense in your head and therefore it must be true? I personally haven't seen studies about that in particular, but I've read independent studies (published by universities, can't remember which), that conclude that there's no evidence/facts/data indicating p2p-sharing of music is slowing the increase of profit in the music industry (yes, the overall profit of the biggest entertainment industry in the world is higher than ever and increasing more and more each year), and I haven't seen or heard about any independent study that concludes the opposite. I could be wrong, but I personally think that people in general eventually give money to the industry when they think a product has real value for them and see it as deserving of their money, because they want to reward the people behind it and because that's a way of saying they want there to be more shows/musics/movies like that in the future. If there wasn't a way to freely-share-online media files, many excellent TV shows/musics/movies wouldn't be known or talked about by almost anyone in the world. The 3 main entertainment industries have never seen such huge profits as they have today, which continue to increase more and more each year, so forgive me for not feeling sorry for them when I'm "illegally" free-downloading the first season of Weeds to see on my laptop.
More +
You are living in a fantasy world, your flawed music illegal downloading claim is easily refuted. Last year's industry revenues were $16.5 billion, in 1999 the revenues were $38 billion. The music industry is a deeply flawed system meant to take money for doing essentially nothing for recording artists at this point, but a lot of artists still are paid through that system so it still matters to them, and illegal downloading clearly takes its toll. That industry now makes more money off ancillary sales - concerts and T-shirts and licensing - than actual album sales.

If people did not use illegal download sites, they could use traditional TV, they could buy home media, they could rent digitally - all of those methods involve some form of compensation for the creators of the content, whether it's ad-sponsored or subscription or direct purchase.

The bottom line is, it's unlawful, it's unjust, it's taking something without permission, and it creates an environment where the viewer is removing motivation to generate more quality content.
The most pirated movie of all time was Avatar and yet the movie industry made over a Billion dollars world wide off the same pirated movie...and yet they lobbied Washington to become our cyber overlords. Its all BS..When money is circulated in Washington DC and lining pockets of the powers that be they always find a way of passing off laws that line the pockets of the 1% while fleecing the pockets and rights of the rest of us and its always a battle cry to save somebody...Follow the money the buck always stops in DC...
"Am I a pirate?"
HBO doesn't appear to offer legal streams of GoT, so if someone misses an episode they have to turn to torrents to find it. However, they do have a number of making-of specials online.
Also, the term "piracy" tends to refer to the selling of the material. It's often misused for downloads but there's no profit involved. Most who download shows are simply using torrents as an online PVR. And aside from anime, it's rare for anyone to be sued, let alone successfully, for downloading a TV show. It's the music and movies, and to a lesser extend games, that tend to get the attention.
YouTube and other streaming sites are also a source for illegal material so torrents can't get all the blame. If it wasn't for torrents people would find some other way.
For the record, I do get HBO. It's part of a package of channels. I've also used torrents to distribute my podcasts legally. (Over 2 million downloads in total.)
Piracy does not need to generate profit, the pirates of the high seas raided others' food and water rations for personal use. If you don't like something you're doing being called "piracy", don't engage in an illegal activity, it's as simple as that.
When it comes to copyright infringement, the typical "pirate" has been someone who would sell illegal copies. This is a far more series problem for the copyright holders than someone who just downloads an episode. To call it all piracy belittles the serious nature of bootlegging. It's a clear crime and it's what's really costing the copyright holders. To download a file which you don't have copyright permission for is illegal, but I wouldn't go so far as to call it piracy.
Piracy and bootlegging are not the same thing, they are 2 different issues. Copyright infringement as the term "piracy" has been around for over a hundred years, it's an accepted term. Making the phrase used to describe it softer won't change the act, only lessen the stigma associated with the act, which is probably what a lot of folks would like - anything to feel more justified in using content without compensating the folks who made it.

Digital downloading like this is illegal copying and distribution or "piracy", whether it's sold or given away in an attempt to get eyes onto a website's advertising, the truth is that a lot of these are still done for profit, it's just convenient for the end-user to ignore that when they generally don't pay a cent - that's a "for profit" angle right there.
The illegal is the cheap DVD release that is done almost instantaneously in Russia somewhere and sold for 10% of the legal price. But here we are talking about the immediacy of viewership in a media (TV, internet) that supposes immediate consumption. Also, people have to know that when you buy your music ,movies, series etc... legally, a percentage of the price is to cover "piracy".I think in France it's ten percent.
I was going by the Canadian site. The US site seems to have them.
GoT isn't surprising. It's on HBO. What I find more surprising and telling is that shows like Arrow and Hannibal are on there. To me, those numbers scream that word of mouth got around and people scrambled to catch up with these awesome new shows that they probably did not expect to last.

As for The Walking Dead, maybe Netflix (and AMC) should think about releasing the entirety of season 3 already on the site instead of waiting until nearly October like they did with season 2. My brother is getting highly impatient waiting for it to show up on Netflix, and if he has to wait much longer, he's going to end up just downloading it illegally.

Sometimes, I think TV networks are so out of touch with reality that it's not even funny.
I have actually thought that it could be a good idea to throw pirated viewers into the rating-numbers, i thought it could do some good for NBC. But it may just be the same. Now i know i don't have to watch out for the next Gary David Goldberg project anymore, may he rest in peace.
Torrents tend not to have the ads in them and ratings are used to sell ad space. So those number not only wouldn't help, they might hurt.
I haven't thought about it that way. It actually makes sense to why it is wrong to pirating series because to me it has always seemed the same as to record a show on your old VCR or TiVo or what you use, but of course you would still get a notice of the ads somehow if you recorded it.
The VCR debate goes back a long way and is in may ways key to the file-sharing argument. Technically, using a VCR could be considered a breach of copyright but the public considered it legal. Law tends to get complicated in this way. Sometimes it's not so much black and white as a matter of degree.
HBO shows are always going to be pirated because people have to pay extra to watch their shows legally.
Piracy exists and will always exist.
If GoT was released on the same day all around the world those numbers would drop but it's the age old dilemma of other countries having to wait weeks, months sometimes even years to have access to a show and until that is changed, piracy will remain a large player in the world of "how we watch TV".
You forgot the age old dilemma of some shows like GoT are only available legally in certain countries if you pay money to a scumbag media tycoon who you wouldn't piss on if he was on fire.
Don't have HBO either, but they get my money eventually when I buy the boxsets.... so they win anyway.
"The HBO fantasy series was the most pirated show of the spring by a wide margin, averaging approximately 5.2 million illegal downloads per episode."

Not going to speak for every juristiction but copyright infringement is unlawful not illegal, breaching the civil code of law not the criminal code of law there is a big difference between the two. Just because the major copyrights holders say it's illegal doesn't make it true, so stop propagating there disinformation.
Unlawful and illegal mean the same thing: forbidden by law.
No they don't.
Breach of the civil code is unlawful.
Breach of the criminal code is illegal.
If you breach the civil code you can be found guilty on the balance of probabilites and penalties are normally limited to fines, in most legal systems it is impossible to imprisoned for doing something unlawful.
If you breach the criminal code guilt must be proved beyond reasonable doubt and the penalties are effectively unlimited.

There have been cases where people have been killed but not found guilty under criminal law, but families of the victim have then won civil cases of wrongful death. If unlawful and illegal were the same thing (as you mistakenly think) then this wouldn't be possible under double jepordary rulings, but as the two laws are under two different systems then the second case can go ahead.

Anyway back to the downloads, it doesn't matter if you agree with the pirates or not we should at least start by being honest about what is happening, the unlawful breach of copyright.
I checked two dictionaries before I posted that reply. They don't agree with you.
Find a better dictionary.
You checked a dictionary to verify this? That says everything about your position in this argument. About your (seemingly endless) stubbornness as well. Put your pride aside and admit the defeat.
LOL to Los Housewives Desperados.
Highly downloaded show = a show where the network needs to think modern about making it digitally available for purchase, everyone knows it's not available on Netflix etc so that will make the decision for many people, personally I want until the whole season is "available" then watch over the space of a couple of days with my wife, if it were available on Netflix (which I have a paid subscription for) I would happily watch it on Netflix, it isn't so I don't.
well for one
stup crying about downloads its there own misstake
if you count the nummer of shows that has stopt only after one season or 3 episodes and you would get 5 dollar for each you would be milionair damn it.

So if they just would stop with all the anti downloading shit,and before you bring on a show on the tv make sure that it is good!

after all the shows that has pullut out,i think people will first sit a season out just to know for sure its getting a season two and than downloading to catch up,thats no crime!
what the stations are doing to us that is a crime,and it bites back haha boeya
Ehhhh... What?
I'm not condoning downloading shows, but I honestly don't see how it's any more illegal than recording them or DVR-ing them. you're not paying for them and you're not watching the ads..

so that makes three people who are on Teen Wolf this season but won't be anymore? I suspect death comes!

I've always found Paul Giamatti kind of off-putting but whatever, I hope he's not around on Downton Abbey too long, doesn't need a bunch of guest stars. there's plenty main cast as it is, despite killing them off willynilly!
Well downloading shows and recording shows are the same thing they are both unlawful breaches of copyright, although the UK has laws allowing you to record from the TV and retain for about 30 days so if anyone still has the Doctor Who Christmas Special stored somewhere they are breaching copyright. I suspect there are similar provsions elsewhere.
I don't know but I'd guess that the DVR service gives you enhanced but still limited rights of retention over what you record and it's those rights that you are paying for.
DVR service is a subscription with the cable company who pays fees to the broadcaster, and also comes with a clause when a subscriber signs up allowing the cable company to track and sell their viewing habits data, which has value to the broadcaster as well.
But if you aren't paying for HBO yet you're downloading shows only available on HBO, you aren't "paying" for them like HBO subscribers.
Love that Showcase on Australian Foxtel shows GoT episodes only 2 hours later than US, rather than the usual stupidity of 8 months or even a couple of years. they clearly understand the rabidness of their fans unlike many other channels. I don't actually understand why there are still such big time differences in TV world when they know people will look online rather than wait? I've also noticed some ebooks are only licensed for sale in some countries but not others. what is the point of this? if i could buy it I would - you won't allow me so I can't buy it, but I still want the ebook!
Correct me if I wrong, but isn't the whole point of downloading torrents to remain anonymous while you download? That being said, how can they tell how many times their show has been illegally downloaded? There are hundreds of different sites and files to choose from as I understand it, so how can you collect the data? Also now that I've said the t-word I'm probably flagged by the feds. For safety I'm turning off my internets.
I know, there are many Web sites, and when you see how many times it has been downloaded, it's how many times the torrent file was downloaded, not the show. Not every Web site releases this information anyway. You have private trackers to add to that as well. I call bs on their estimation. Personally, I had HBO up until last week, but I canceled it because I was never watching it, not even for Game of Thrones. I download my episodes and I buy the blu-rays when they come out because I like the show so much.
if they made it where you could get HBO Go without also paying for the channel; maybe HBO would make more money, Everyone could watch their shows without being illegal. Just one suggestion that just makes too much sense
UBU!
RIP Gary David Goldberg
It's undoubtedly because so few people have HBO. I pirate it but I buy the seasons when they come out so I figure I'm doing my part, I'm not about to get HBO which would cost almost twenty dollars a months just to watch one show. But like I said I do buy the seasons once they come out, it's my favorite show so I want to show my appreciation in some way.
Why download when you can find websites that stream it? They exist.... TRUST ME! Bwahahaha!
slow computer is your answer :)
Stream versus 1080i versions at extremely high bitrate, choice is easy for shows of excellent quality like this, and no I don't torrent my downloads, that's so 90s.
Yeah, I just stream everything. Unless the NSA is monitoring me right now, then no, of course I don't stream or download illegally. Ever.
When you see those numbers for torrented shows you realize who wins. :D Let's see, violent criminals in court or flood the system over nothing. The method then to legally download is really bad where you can't play the file(s) on whatever player / method you choose. I mean once paid for, give us the ability to watch and keep the file how we see fit. The genie is already out of the bottle and never going back anyway.
I pirate it *hangs head in shame* but only because it comes out later in England and I'm too impatient plus I don't have Sky Atlantic because I'm not paying for 300 channels just to watch one show.
I'd rather just read the books again. So I see it as I was never going to be able to watch it any other way so no one really loses out. Plus I will definitely pay when they're available for download, I just really have no desire to wait for whenever that is.
I do the same with Doctor Who and the real Top Gear over here. patience is not my friend
I admire the fact that you call it "The Real Top Gear". I tried American Top Gear once, just couldn't get into it.
I think a lot of it is the fact that some of the cable pay networks have ONE show worth watching and who wants to pay for a premium cable channel to watch one show...
♫drink up me mateys yo-ho♪
Play dead, Ubu.
sit Ubu sit! I still quote that now and then... promo logos stick with me.
Ha! And here I thought my family & I were the only ones. We always do the full "sit Ubu sit! ... good dog. Woof!"
Grrr. Argh.