News Briefs: Jessica Lange Will Haunt American Horror Story Again

GOOD NEWS FOR A GOOD ACTRESS

... When Season 1 of American Horror Story came to an end, it was obvious that creator Ryan Murphy was going to flip the table over for Season 2 and start all over again with a new setting, a new story, and an all-new cast. Well, an almost all-new cast. Jessica Lange, who won multiple awards for her performance as Constance on the series last year, will return for Season 2. Murphy confirmed the news to Bravo's Andy Cohen last night. It's still unknown if Lange will play her Season 1 character or suit up as someone completely new. For fans of freaky old ladies, this is like Secretary's Day come early! [E! Online]

RENEWAL NEWS

... Syfy has ordered a third season of special effects and makeup reality competition series Face Off. The series has been a hit for the network, and I'm not gonna lie: It's pretty darned entertaining. Check it out, if only because one of the judges looks like a slightly more human Predator. [Deadline Hollywood]

DEVELOPMENT DEALS

... ABC Family has ordered a pilot for Bunheads, a drama about the world of dance. This is big news because the series comes from Amy Sherman-Palladino, the creator of Gilmore Girls. Bunheads stars Sutton Foster as a woman who leaves her Las Vegas showgirl job to work at her new mother-in-law's dance school in a small town. For once I'd like to see someone on television move from a small town to another small town. [Deadline Hollywood]

... There's a new music-themed reality show on the horizon, because there aren't enough already. American Supergroup will have musicians team up into bands and compete against each other while living with their new bandmates and hopefully developing life-threatening addictions to prescription pills. This is just in the early development phase and doesn't have a home yet. There's just one thing I don't get: a "supergroup" is a group of already famous musicians teaming up. Isn't this just an over-glorified Battle of the No-Name Bands? [Deadline Hollywood]

CASTING ROUND-UP

... Look out, Emmy hopefuls in the Best Actor in a Comedy category! Tony Shalhoub is coming back to steal all your awards. Shalhoub, who was a routine nominee for his work on Monk, will star in the NBC pilot Friday Night Dinner. The single-camera comedy, from The Office's Greg Daniels, centers on a couple that hosts a family dinner every Friday night. Allison Janney, an Emmy winner from The West Wing, will play Shalhoub's wife. [Deadline Hollywood]

... Kyle Bornheimer has landed the lead role in ABC's comedy pilot White Man Van. Based on the British series of the same name, the single-camera comedy follows a man who takes over his dad's handyman business. Bornheimer hasn't had much luck on television so far, starring in the failed comedies Worst Week, Romantically Challenged, and Perfect Couples. Maybe Summer Glau and Judy Greer can co-star and the entire show can implode, killing everyone involved. [Deadline Hollywood]

... Jessica Lucas (Melrose Place, 90210) has signed on for the lead role in The CW's pilot Cult, the latest project from Josh Schwartz and Stephanie Savage. Lucas will play a PA on a fictional show called Cult that spawns a rash of copycat killings. [Deadline Hollywood]

... The Who's Roger Daltrey will lend his voice to Once Upon a Time as the Caterpillar in an Alice in Wonderland-themed episode. Alice in Wonderland, not a fairy tale. Is this show running out of ideas already? Is Dumbo next? [EW]

... Stephen Lang, who you may know as Taylor from Terra Nova, will appear on multiple episodes of USA's In Plain Sight. I'm just going to take a shot in the dark and assume he'll play a military leader who can do more push-ups than you. Terra Nova is still waiting to hear from Fox whether it will be renewed for a second season. [THR]

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

If you look at Jessica Lange's neck fat in the above picture it looks like it's flipping you off.... ewwwww
Once Upon a Time isn't specifically a fairy tale show; it is first and foremost a DISNEY show. Every Disney princess-y movie is probably waiting in the wings.
I'm glad OUaP isn't sticking solely to fairytales and is also lending some airtime to other very famous stories. Like how Dr. Hopper's dog is a dalmatian named Pongo. I wanna see their take on stories that don't necessarily come from the Grimm or Perrault or whoever people.
Praise Be to Jessica Lange and I look forward to more American Horror Story with her in it! I also am curious to see the Alice in Wonderland episode of Once Upon a Time!

Is it weird to think Jessica Lange is still hot. I mean, she could be my grand mother.. well, not that old, but is it weird?

It's kind of weird isn't it. But still, she can turn a film around and make it a milf. Not many can.
Many of the actors from AHS will be returning but playing different roles.

"Bunheads", really? That seems like a title destined to flop with audiences, it's a bit derogatory and it's just unattractive to say.

Tony Shalhoub and Allison Janney having dinner every week? That could be really entertaining as long as the characters aren't TOO broad. I would definitely watch it though, no matter what.

Oh man, Kyle Bornheimer is just not lead actor material, at least not in anything I've ever seen from him - a competent player, but I don't get why Hollywood keeps trying to make him into something he isn't.
I've heard that that AHS is going to be an anthology series. They will have a different story every season, and it was hinted that there will be no real continuity, which would probably prove beneficial to someone like Ryan Murphy. However, I think a good way to interconnect seasons would be to keep Jessica Lange's Constance. She doesn't have to play a major role every season, but she could at least pop in here or there to remind us that it's the same world. So I'm hoping Lange will play the same character and not someone new. She would be the poster character of the series.
I didn't know how AHS was going to do Season 2 without Jessica Lange, but I do know they weren't going to do it as well. I'd love to say she could do better, but I don't think that. I do think she deserves better. Either way, I'll take her where I can get her.
Uh..Alice in Wonderland not a fairy tale? Seriously? It is a fairy tale. It's in the Grimm tales (if I recall correctly), and Disney has covered it various times. You must have a weird definition of fairy tales, Tim, if you neglect a class one such as Alice in Wonderland. The show isn't running out of ideas. It's simply growing in its mythology, expanding its universe. And I do believe it has potential to be as powerful as LOST was. Such an amazing show. I personally can't wait to see Alice's story.
It's Lewis Carroll, not Grimm. It's fiction, fantasy. Same with Pinocchio.

My mistake. My point being that Alice in Wonderland is totally in league with Once Upon A Time. Right in it's genre. Perfect for the show. Alice in Wonderland will always be a fairy tale to me. I can't wait for OUAT to tackle it.
Great News for American Horror Story; Jessica Lange is perfect for this show, can't wait for season 2
Did you just try to pigeonhole Stephen Lang? He's played other characters than millitary leaders, including David Abrams on Crime Story and the reporter in Manhunter. Some of your readers are older than ten, you know.
Friday Night Dinner is (yet another) remake of one of our (UK) shows. The first series was great and I am eagerly looking forward to Series 2, and if Tony Shaloub's character is anything like the dad in the original then he will spend the majority of the series with no top on, the dad is a partially deaf naturist type!! However it sounds the writing was so good that it was one of the best things on TV last year.
I think Ryan M. might be on to something. I remember talking about Season 2 or 3 of Lost (or BSG or Heroes, etc.) to people and most of them would express they would watch it but didn't want to or weren't able to go back and watch it from the beginning. Seems like Season 2 of AHS will be able to have new viewers that never saw Season 1 and not be too lost. I am sure that if it works, a dozen new shows will stop doing stand alone episodes and start with stand alone seasons.
I think the idea of having Tony Shalhoub at the dinner table made the idea of this show sound a lot less bad
I think we need Jessica Lange character to move next door to a new haunted house so that the Anti Christ story can continue.
Since this is In Plain Sight's last season, Lang may be playing Mary McCormack's father. He left, or went on the run, when she was young, fathered another child or two with someone else that he also left begind, and is still out there somewhere.
I'm down for more AHS. As long as it doesn't go too long like Nip/Tuck, I'll tune in.
I don't think I can ever watch Tony Shalhoub again without hating the character he's playing.

He was just so perfect as Monk that any other character he plays on any other show will just seem like poor writing (and maybe poor acting).
Ryan Murphy is a moron. Take note from your much better co network show in Justified. Leave Lange alone. Either way if she is going to be someone totally new and different which would be dumb, or the same character which would be even more stupid. Leave her with her awards and leave it all in last season and hopefully you can make a decent show next year. Though why you deserved a second season is beyond me.

And Tony Shalloub, NOOOOOO! Run. Don't get involved with NBC, they don't know what they are doing. Plus the show sounds horrible.
love Jessica Lucas, but that show's lame.. why do they keep doing shows that should only last 5 episodes tops? too many shows would make better movies, since they would have ENDINGS

honestly, would be kind of stupid having Jessica Lange play somebody different.. I can understand having the backup ghosts come back to play somebody else, but not one of the main characters
Uh......why can't Alice be a fairy tale? Pinocchio is.

And Dumbo will totally happen. Minus the stereotypically black crows, maybe.
I want to believe in Amy, as Gilmore Girls was one of my favorite shows...but the sitcom she wrote afterward kinda blew.