News Briefs: Katherine Heigl Is One Step Closer to Returning to TV

SHE'S BAAAAAAAAACK!

... NBC has signed a pact with Katherine Heigl, buying the rights to an untitled drama that she's starring in and producing. The former Grey's Anatomy star would play—and please pardon me while I stifle some chuckles—"a CIA analyst whose job it is to debrief and strategize with the president on the most pressing global and national matters." Given NBC's love affair with stars who are past their prime (Heigl's pouty Grey's Anatomy antics turned a lot of people off), I think we can lock this series up for NBC's 2014 fall season. [TV Line]

BUSINESS TIME

... Remember when NBC Universal's new cable project the Esquire Network was set up to take over G4 in like two weeks? Well, NBCU has changed its mind. Instead, the Esquire Network will take over the Style Network and G4 will continue to live on. The abrupt decision comes about as late as it can in the process, given the male-oriented Esquire Network's impending debut, which is scheduled for September 23. Imagine the office of the Style Network today, knowing that massive layoffs are coming. Surprise! [THR]

... HBO will debut Ja'Mie: Private School Girl on November 24. The comedy is a spin-off of Summer Heights High and stars Australian comic Chris Lilley as the lead character. [HBO via press release]

... The Victoria's Secret Fashion Show returns to CBS on December 10! Time to order that 80-inch super-HD TV screen with a drool guard. [CBS via press release]

... Late-breaking news! WEtv has renewed L.A. Hair for a third season! Look for 12 new episodes sometime in 2014. [WEtv via press release]

CASTING NEWS

... Cher and the yucca plant that she calls hair have signed on to become a mentor on NBC's The Voice. She'll give advice to Blake Shelton's team and bore them with stories from the old days. [TV Line]

..Matt Davis of The Vampire Diaries (or Cult if you're super cool) has successfully exited The CW's gravitational pull and landed a real job. Haha J/K, guys. But seriously, he's freed himself from the clutches of the teenish network and has booked a gig on the very grown-up channel CBS with a recurring role on CSI. I'll let TV Line handle the character description because it sounds pretty silly: "[Davis] will play a smart, athletic, and competitive son of a decorated fireman. While on the surface outgoing, he is deep down a bit of a loner, with the soul of a poet and the mind of a mathematician." Ummm, what? [TV Line]

... Elton John will perform at this year's Emmy Awards, paying tribute to the late great Liberace. He will do so by changing nothing about himself except for maybe not wearing glasses. The Emmys air September 22 on CBS. [CBS via press release]

... Private Practice's Paul Adelstein will recur in the third season of Scandal. The details are still super-secret, because this is Scandal! [TV Line]

SCHEDULING ALERT

... The season finale of So You Think You Can Dance will be interrupted by President Obama's speech on much less important matters (something called Syria), but after he gets done jabbering about that stuff, SYTYCD will come back on and get to the good stuff: naming the person who best thinks they can dance. [Fox via press release]

REQUIRED READING

... Want to know how Game of Thrones makes its dragons? With geese and tennis balls! [Wired]

Sucks that this Esquire move to take over G4 has been in the works for so long that they cancelled AOTS and Xplay. Now what are they going to do with G4?
Chris Lilley is back!?! Yesssss!!! Except I didn't really care for that character, but can't wait nonetheless.
I spent most of last Saturday afternoon spraying roundup at weeds that look like Cher's hair. Almost as bad as Miley's.

G4 as it originally was has long been dead. Sure, for a long time they still had Attack of the Show! and some others but for almost a decade now it's basically been a mens network. And that has apparently failed. So they tried to make it into a metrosexual, high end mens network? Which will probably fail as well. But instead of pushing this inevitably unsuccessful concept on a deadnetwork they put it on one (Style) that is constantly in the press, is available on Directv, and until now always appeared to be doing well? Doesn't make any sense. Now they'll be wanting to replace not one but two networks in the future.

Katharine Heigl's biggest mistake was burning bridges with Judd Apatow. That was the peak of her career, starring in Knocked Up. After that she was forced into obnoxious, stereotypical romantic comedies like Jen Aniston (Aniston always fails at those unless it's a Vince Vaughn movie and her best hope is movies like Horrible Bosses).
Katherine Heigl used up all her good will. Loved her in Roswell and later Greys.
BUT her antics and attitudes in leaving Greys and a film 'career' that wasn't left me not liking her.. Won't be following her new TV career.
What NBCU/Comcast needs to do with G4 is turn it into their FX/AMC equivalent. They've been playing it safe for far too long, and need to start coming out with more "edgy" programming to build an audience. Video game shows are obviously not sustainable and there is nothing like it in their current portfolio.

Give David Cross and Aziz Ansari their own shows, grab a few animated shows (30 and 15 minute), steal some projects from HBO/Showtime and tame them slightly by recent cable standards, run some higher-tier NBCU movies, and maybe syndicate some of those more risque shows slightly modified (Dexter, Six Feet Under, Curb Your Enthusiasm), grab some British imports, and baby, you got a stew goin'.
AHAHAHAHAHAHA! I had totally forgotten that Esquire hadn't taken over G4, that's hilarious. Style Network, really? "Sorry ladies, you'll have to look elsewhere, it's date-rapists only from now on!" What's happening to all that great programming Esquire had planned for their glorious network? Heh heh heh, no, seriously, didn't they have a whopping 2 shows?
I wonder if Davis will be a recurring villain or if he will be taking up some of the slack for George Eads in the lab while he is suspended following that incident with one of the writers.

Good to hear about G4 sticking around, hopefully they will start bringing back X-Play and Attack of the Show along with convention coverage. Sucks for the Style Network and its employees but maybe there is room on Esquire or some of the other networks for the shows.

While I never saw Grey's Anatomy, I have heard of Heigl's antics on the set. I also remember when she bad mouthed Knocked Up after it kind of gave her a movie career. I hope she is not turning into another Shannen Doherty, causing problems on set and then leaving.
Ok, awful truth time...Kat Heigl is not a great actress, she is an actress of one role - Izzie Stevens. That is a character she played in all her D-list comedies. So yeah, that one time Emmy really got into her head this weird idea that she is an A-lister.
I rather watch Katherine Heigel in movies not tv.
I'd rather she not be seen in either.
Haha that description of Davis' CSI character...Super cheesy!

I'm in the minority here, but I can see Heigl as this CIA analyst. I don't have strong feelings about her probably because i've stopped watching Grey's Anatomy a loooong time ago. This one sounds interesting.
Katherine Heigl left a great and promising role in Greys anatomy to pursue her film acting career. Instead of doing taboo roles she took the safe route and did romantic comedies which mostly flopped at box office and in critics books. If you ask me she should have kept her nose down and stay on tv.
Amen!
So NBCU/G4 gutted their network for nothing? X-Play, Attack of the Show, E3 coverage, ComicCon coverage and all of the regular personalities that made those shows what they were - all shown the door for naught. What are they saving at the network anyway? 2 year old X-Play reruns about dated games that go for $1.99 in the bargain bin? Or are they planning on bringing back some of these shows (or creating new ones) at some point?
I think Matt Davis would be awesome in CSI. And bonus on some more eye candy for us girls!
I'm glad for Matt Davis he deserves to be in better shows than Cult
He deserves to be in way better shows than CSI! I can't watch that even for Matt.
I never really understood the concept of G4. Why create a network for gamers when most of the time, gamers will be playing games. It's like going for a nich audience that are far more likely to spend their free time not watching the network. Plus with Youtube and people uploading their games and cheats, it's rather useless to watch that stuff on TV. It's why MTV doesn't air music videos anymore.
well all the hardcore gamers i know (myself included) usually beat a game fairly quickly due to obsession. So in between game releases we like to fill our time digesting gamer entertainment where ever we can get it. so yes, we will be online but we also want to have that other source that television provides as well. G4 wasn't about cheats it was about news, reviews, and sometimes behind the scenes with the creators. BRING BACK X-PLAY PLEASE!!!!
also...that would be like saying, "Hey you like television right? Why aren't you watching it right now instead of commenting on this website ABOUT television?" double standard? Also MTV still does play music videos, just in the morning.
On one hand, you even left out an important bit. Lots of gamers will either be spending much of their free time playing games OR doing stuff on the computer (reading reviews, watching YouTube, etc.). So why offer a channel for something a gamer will turn to the TV for anyway.

On the other hand, one could question the wisdom of ANY channel devoted to time-consuming past-times. I know some people that spend every free moment either with family or playing golf... with little to no TV in between. And I imagine the number of golf fans that don't play the game are relatively low except for the really big competitions. So who does a 24-hour golf channel really benefit? The golfer stuck inside on the occasional rainy Sunday morning?
This comment has been removed.
"Imagine the office of the Style Network today, knowing that massive layoffs are coming. Surprise!"

Now imagine everybody who used to work with G4 joining them in the same depressing bar and wondering if this isn't all just something the CEO's doing for fun.
This year I missed G4 coverage of San Diego Comic Con. It ended up belong the only time I watched the network, but still... Now that they are sticking with it, it would be nice if they go for coverage next year.
To be honest, G4's SDCC coverage can go jump in a lake. Their presence negatively affected the actually convention, between their giant pointless booth on the floor and their flotilla of noisy generators and equipment trucks and craft service areas right outside of hall H they made themselves more important than the actual convention. G4 made Comic-Con worse by simply being there, they were an interference which is bad journalism, and they acted like they deserved more than anybody else at the show. Nobody at SDCC deserves preferential treatment unless they penned a friggin' comic book before 1985, everybody else should have to work for it equally from small-fries like me to George Lucas or anybody else. I've seen Stan Lee being humble and friendly in the hallways upstairs, and I've seen G4 douches getting uppity about their seats in big panels, which would you rather put up with? Yeah, I know they bring it to the masses who can't make it, but there are better ways to do it without ruining the show. To me, G4 will always be right behind Twilight at SDCC.
The "bringing it to the masses" aspect is what I liked about it, since I can never go, but not knowing the behind the scenes stuff is interesting, I guess.
If they could find a way to bring it to the masses without negatively impacting it for actual con-goers, I wouldn't be so harsh. They also puked their talent into a lot of panels and events that had no reason to have G4 people in them when they were here which bugged me.
Yeah, John Barrowman is a Comic-Con darling thanks to his role as Captain Jack, the 51st century time-traveling bisexual con man turned hero, on Doctor Who and then Torchwood. He is a notorious ass-grabber, especially at SDCC. ;-)
One thing that was funny to me, if you are still checking this thread, is that they had John Barrowman as a co-host. I never knew he was gay, as I don't personally follow the guy, so seeing him react and kind of flirt with some of the male con-goers surprised me.
"Cher and the yucca plant that she calls hair..."

Hahahaha LOL....I lost ma breath! Baaahahahaha I'm still laughing! OMG! That's the funniest thing ever! PMSL
Yea, Tim's posts are always full of sass ^

Some of his reviews for Under the Dome are hilarious. here I'll quote this for you -
"Can we leave her down there for one more episode? At least give her the chance to get really bad diarrhea or slip on a banana peel a few times."
i wasn't being sarcastic! I'm actually laughing! And that picture of her! OMG!
Wasn't G4 supposed to make the network change back in April?
DON'T MAKE FUN OF CHER!
Shoo gurrl, I'mma tell you sumtin sweet honey child....if tha Cher's weave be lookin like a plant, then tha Cher will be made fun of, yes! Ooh lord have mercy on dat weave!
Why?
so what's going to happen to the Style shows? I only ever watch Tia & Tamera, and I would hope they get moved to E! or something, I don't understand why the show was on Style anyway.. and why some of E!'s shows are about style, but on E! so I understand the overlap stuff.. but still. G4 isn't interesting anymore anyway, I haven't watched it except maybe the first week after they took over TechTV. I don't forsee myself watching anything on Esquire either.
Since when has any cable network stuck to its original theme? The only ones still seeming to do so are Food, Cooking, and Travel.
Travel is more about food, just happens to be food when you're traveling.. but still should be on a food themed network.
Some are going bye, but the bulk are getting moved to other networks.
Public schools are so random!
Maybe I'm wrong but I swear if there would have been a spinoff with Alaric and Lexie of TVD it would have been great. I don't know, sounds good to me. haha.