News Briefs: MTV Cancels The Inbetweeners

BUSINESS TIME

... As expected, MTV will not be asking for a second round of its scripted comedy The Inbetweeners. The show was a remake of the British series of the same name, but suffered from crummy ratings and never really stood a chance. [Deadline Hollywood]

... ABC has asked for more episodes of Malibu Country and Last Man Standing, its Friday pairing of torture comedy. Both shows will add five episodes to their 13-episode orders, and because they both started later than most, the orders will fill out their seasons. [ABC via press release]

... Fox has rescheduled Touch again. Instead of returning February 1, the show will push back to February 8 and air back-to-back episodes. The show was originally slotted to return this fall, but was bumped to early February. [Fox via press release]

... Syfy has ordered three more reality programs, crushing our hopes that its reality experiment wouldn't work. Darnit! Ghost Mine (January 16) follows a group of miners who team up with paranormal investigators to get scared by things that aren't ghosts. Stranded (February 27) takes amateur paranormal investigators and puts them is seriously haunted houses (except they probably aren't actually haunted). Notorious Hauntings takes a closer look at some of history's most famous paranormal legends like Dracula. [Syfy via press release]

CASTING NEWS

... Former House star Lisa Edelstein will guest-star on Showtime's House of Lies as a political consultant who has a run-in with Marty. What kind of run-in? Violent? Sexy? Both? Probably both. [Showtime via press release]

... After stuffing his sneakers in his mouth with his feet still in them by calling his show "filth," Two and a Half Men star Angus T. Jones will reportedly leave the series after this season, putting the entire show's future in jeopardy until it finds another anyone to replace him. [TMZ]

... Southland went shopping at the Former Teen Idol Shoppe and has booked One Tree Hill's Chad Michael Murray for a few episodes. He'll play Dave Mendoza (Mendoza? Really?), a loose-cannon cop who probably likes to throw his badge across the room just to show how loose he can be. [TV Line]

... MTV's Teen Wolf has added Charlie and Max Carver to its cast. The hunky twins were recently seen on Desperate Housewives as the Scavo Twins. [Deadline Hollywood]

... Smallville and V alum Laura Vandervoort (meow!) will guest-star on CSI: NY as a pretty lady. To be more specific, she'll play a woman fresh out of prison who's looking to get revenge on her no-good boyfriend. [TV Line]

I liked the Inbetweeners. It was like a male version of Awkward. I also liked Skins and I Just Want My Pants Back and RJ Berger. It seems like MTV cancels all of their scripted shows but keeps garbage like the Jersey Shore on for years.
I wonder who Charlie and Max Carver will be on Teen Wolf? Just more hunks, can't go wrong.
The Inbetweeners was actually pretty damn funny, I'll be looking into the British version soon. Best show on MTV since Warren the Ape. That Two.5 kid was a complete turd, I hope his fall from grace is short and sweet.
Hopefully MTV will leave British shows alone now after the disastrous Skins and Inbetweeners adaptions. Come on, it can't be that hard to create shows about youth in America?
I don't get the hatred for Last Man Standing, and I consider myself somewhat of a comedy snob. Not the best on TV, sure, but as far as "nothing-else-on" shows go, this is one of the best.
Oh nooo, I really don't know why - but I liked the US Version of the Inbetweeners!! The characters/actors were really likeable and different to their original versions, even if they acted out the same script and scenes.
Hey! stop it with the Last Man Standing put downs. Tim Allen is a natural treasure.
Did you see the last episode? That was like South Park levels of racial humour. Good for Last Man Standing.
Angus Jones really wasn't on 2.5 Men anymore except as a semi-regular cameo, and his character wasn't necessary to the overall plot anymore as he was no longer a hook into staying in the house. That said, trying to force the show to fit the title won't work either.
Only a week further back for Touch !, why hurry Fox?, still time to bring back Lone Star, I just watched the first two (and only) episodes shown. It was really good, how could it possibly be cancelled so soon?
C'mon Tim get Fox to at least show the rest of the episode that were in the can.
I figure the inbetweeners wouldn't last but I have to admit I enjoyed it. I watched the original series and didn't actually like or enjoy any of the characters, they were all kind of mean spirited and I couldn't get into it. And while the remake have weak starting episodes around the middle of the season it really hit it's stride and was enjoyable.
I like the UK Inbetweeners better, but I agree the MTV version was getting better. In the beginning, they were doing mostly straigtforward remakes of episodes from the original. In the middle of the season they started adding some original ideas.
Fingers crossed for Cuddy hanky panky! I love House of Lies, though admittedly sex is one of the reasons.

I wouldn't consider Last Man Standing torture even if only for three reasons; Kaitlyn Dever (Loretta) who is also cute even if really damn young, Molly Ephraim and Nancy Travis who are damn fine and damn fine respectively ( i miss the old older daughter who was also damn fine). also tim allen still has some jokes. malibu country i watch because sometimes there's just nothing better and as a consolation prize reba and sara have boobs (has reba had facial work done? she's a bit odd looking) and again the daughter's cute, even if really damn young.

tried csi:ny recently due to a lack of anything else and it was horrible. and I watch csi vegas.
so no cancellation for malibu country.. ok, it is official, I do not get it..
Ok even though I can't stand reality TV, I actually enjoy watching these paranormal reality shows. They're the only type of "reality" TV that I can tolerate. So I'm looking forward to Notorious Hauntings. It looks interesting...
Since there isn't a *thumbs down* option please accept this in it's place. to clarify: there's no exception that makes any reality programming okay. especially not something "paranormal".
I liked The Inbetweeners :( maybe I should watch the UK version
No seriously, watch it. It is absolutely brilliant, and you will be ashamed of the farce MTV made and tried to pass off as anything near as genius as the original.
Did you watch the MTV version past the pilot? What was so bad about it aside from some occasional vomit humor?
*starts searching*
yes, you should watch the UK version. it was really great. I actually got turned onto it by a Tim Surette post some time ago and was really glad for it.
Thanks guys I'll find it
I really thought the Inbetweeners was cancelled months ago.
Oh and I am not sure if this has been said. According to my TV, Chevy Chase left Community to star in Old Navy commercials.
I like Chad Michael Murray on Gilmore Girls as Tristen. He was so fun to hate. Well my friends loved him. I have never seen an episode of One Tree Hill, but it could be interesting and fun to see him on Southland. I can't wait for the new season.
Angus was so normal a little while ago, talking about how if the show ended he'd be okay and just go to college. I hope he does that when he leaves. Or finds a show that isn't filth to star on. His comments may have been out of line, but he wasn't wrong.
Somewhere (probably Finland) Taccado is popping a bottle of champagne.
Didn't they mention people outside of US cannot receive the prize?
ha ha! whoa! not so fast Taccado dead pool score is not enough to win !
Wait! Do you know someone with a higher score? Is it you? Taccado will be crushed! He was saving that champagne for 10 years!
Actually, it was a bottle of vodka and I had only saved it for one week. That's the maximum time a bottle can remain unopened. But yeah, I'm crushed. DraicKin5 did superbly. Luckily, any reason - victory or loss - is good enough for a drink.

Nevertheless, the mini-renewal of Malibu Country and jasjamjaz getting a -2 in her column does make me feel a certain degree of schadenfreude.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go fend off possible White Walkers. Winter is here.
Well Angus, You got what you wanted. Welcome to the unemployment line.
Good never watched the US Inbetweeners because I could tell from the previews that it sucked. If anyone wants to watch a good show check out the UK Inbetweeners the first two seasons are on Netflix and the show is fantastic!
MTV needs to stop trying to remake British shows. They absolutely destroyed Skins, and Inbetweeners was barely any better. What are they going to butcher next? Peep Show?
No, the lesson that needs to be finally learned is AMERICANS DON'T GET BRITISH SHOWS. They're all about old ladies sitting around offering each other tea. We don't understand them, they're not funny, it's "soccer" not "football", and we like shows to have greater than $5 budgets. EVERYONE needs to stop remaking British shows. The only reason British shows work at all is because 50% of their total television time is devoted to showing nekkid people. Even their makeover shows insist on showing the people to be remade completely nude. They have whole shows dedicated to people who don't like their body or have questions about their body, all of which require showing 18-year-olds completely naked. We can't do that, and we're not into cardboard Daleks, so British shows just aren't going to work here.
You must be subnorrmal. Seriously.
A- Football is football. You can call it soccer if you want, but football is football regardless of what americans call it.
B- Some of the best tv is british. Misfits? Luther? Sherlock? the Fades, Being human (up to season 3) Forage out from under your rock and explore good tv, man.
I live in the UK & can't for the life of me thinkmofmthe show where "old ladies sit around offering tea" Last of the Summer wine maybe? And please explain to me why a game is called football when the ball is held in the hand 95% of the time? At least in football in the UK if the ball touches the hand it's a foul (handball)

And I don't see what Soccer or Football has to do with the translation of UK shows to the US & vice versa
I have to disagree I watch Shameless, The Inbetweeners and the first group of Skins on the UK and they were very relatable to me as an American. Sure there are subtle differences in cultures but barley any. The only show I think America got right was The Office I think it is way better than the UK version I might get criticized for that but it's the truth
Well poster before me said pretty much everything there is to say here, but I just wanted you to know that the "like" you see there is mine. I accidentally pressed it and I can't for some reason take it back. Believe me, I tried. So that's that.
Wow. Just ... Wow. "The only reason British shows work at all is because 50% of their total television time is devoted to showing *nekkid* people."

First of all, I immediately question the judgement of anybody who uses the word "nekkid". Secondly, please don't lump all Americans into your myopic point of view. I'm Canadian, but I know MANY Americans (and Canadians) who love British shows. Not because of the 50% of time devoted to naked people (which is a hilariously incorrect percentage, by the way), but because they're, I don't know, GOOD!

What shows have you been watching that have $5 budgets? Sherlock, Black Mirror, Doctor Who, Misfits, Skins, Life on Mars, Torchwood, and yes, The Inbetweeners (just to name a few) are all very good British shows that anyone who appreciates quality television would "get". Quality is a universal language.

And it's "football" not "soccer". Respect where the game came from.
Way to show off your cultural tolerance.
$5 budgets? You've clearly never seen the original Skins or Inbetweeners. Aside from that, shows don't have to have big budgets to be good. Look at Workaholics. It's one thing to have a different opinion. It's completely different to show your ignorance of good television. Enjoy the rest of the season of Two and a Half Men. I hear it's going to be the last one, but I'm guessing you have them all on DVD anyway.
I agree. The latest shows I've been going through on netflix have all been british, and hysterical at that. Sherlock-while not a comedy obviously-is incredible, Primevil is great, Peep Show is hysterically funny and Spaced might be one of the single funniest programs I have EVER seen.

What the lesson ACTUALLY is here is that different cultures have different sense of humor. Right, Alcalde is completely wrong (no argument from me here) but if you take one countries sense of humor and try to apply it to another country, 97% of the time they just aren't gonna get it. It's sad but it's true. That's where he's kind of right, but not because the shows themselves are bad but because Americans love mindless entertainment and not having to think, outside of that very small core group of actually intelligent people.

Alcalde is right for the wrong reasons. The shows are outstanding, it's the people they're being broadcast to who are stupid. A shame, because they're missing out on some absolutely top notch programming. But hey, to each their own I suppose. If they want to be willfully ignorant and close minded, let 'em. Better entertainment for us, right?

Plus, look at it this way. We have the American "The Office", which took 2 seasons to even get mediocre. The british office had 14 episodes. How did people sit through 30 something shows to get interested in it by it's 3rd season? UK Office is far superior. It's quality over quantity. And this is coming from a guy who the American Office is almost tailor made for, and I HATE it. But it might be because I hate Steve Carrel.

Well, back to netflix I guess. Gotta catch up on 'dem BBC shows.
More +