News Briefs: NBC Is Trying to Make Jessica Simpson a Star Again

REMEMBER HER? NEWS

... NBC is developing a sitcom starring Jessica Simpson, a relic who once dominated the headlines of ditzy gossip magazines. Simpson would play a version of herself in a "Curb Your Enthusiasm-style look at her life." NBC has asked for a pilot presentation, meaning the network will film bits and pieces to get a feel for the show before NBC makes a decision. Producer Ben Silverman, the same man who joyrode NBC for a short while before driving it off a cliff, said he sees a Lucille Ball quality in Simpson, meaning that Ball apparently had bigger tits than I remember because THERE IS NO WAY THAT COMPARISON SHOULD EVER BE MADE THANK YOU. [TV Guide]

BUSINESS DECISIONS THAT AFFECT YOU

... In the grand tradition of basic cable-networks sticking one person with a name with another person with another name, TNT has ordered the pilot previously known as King and Maxwell to series. The drama follows a pair of private investigators, played by Jon Tenney and Rebecca Romijn, and is based on characters created by author David Baldacci. It's also worth noting that Ryan Hurst, Sons of Anarchy's Opie, is also in the cast, so yay! [Deadline Hollywood]

... ABC has shuffled Happy Endings and Don't Trust the B---- in Apt. 23 again, removing both from their 10pm Sunday-night slots. It was a stupid idea to begin with, and the series-low ratings the Sunday airings received confirmed as much. The shows will still air in their normal Tuesday-night time periods (both shows have been airing twice a week). Replacing the comedies on Sunday night will be Shark Tank repeats. None of this ever made sense, and I suspect it never will. [Deadline Hollywood]

... TNT has passed on its pilot Trooper, starring Mira Sorvino as a mom who decides to become a state trooper. If it sounds familiar, it should: The project was originally on CBS's development plate and in contention for this year's schedule. [Deadline Hollywood]

RATINGS (EVEN THOUGH THEY DON'T TOTALLY MATTER)

... Yesterday marked the debut of The CW's The Carrie Diaries, and... it didn't do too great. The Sex and the City prequel averaged 1.6 million viewers and pulled in a 0.6 rating in the adult demo. Compare that to Arrow's impressive premiere (4 million, 1.3 rating) last October, and you'll understand why CW execs didn't tip their baristas this morning. [EW]

CASTING NEWS

... Private Practice's Audra McDonald will guest-star on The Good Wife. She'll play Alicia's old nemesis from law school, and the two will go against each other in the courtroom in this sitcom storyline. [THR]

... Somebody handsome named Scott Foley (Grey's Anatomy, I'm told) will join the cast of ABC's Scandal toward the end of the current season. No word on who he'll play yet, but he'll be handsome you can bet your sweet ass on that. [TV Line]

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

NBC are always good for a laugh.
Smells like an instant crash and burn given the network and the person!
The Jessica Simpson deal will either never see the light of day or will die a fast and painful death. We're talking about NBC here and then to top it off you're talking about NBC in combination with a person who has falling off the map some time ago, it rarely works out...especially on NBC!
Good move NBC, she has been dearly missed...
What is happening to the really good show Wedding Band?
While Jessica Simpson looks very good in a bikini I have always missed the part that is actually funny about her. I have seen very little of her that warrents her starring in a comedy unless it is her name which must hold enough power to have some folks watch her in the first episode.
My hat off to her writers they are in for quite a big job.
Gee ABC, who would have thought randomly moving your sitcoms to a slot that makes absolutely no sense with virtually no promotion telling viewers where it is and with a dour lead-in would fail? Oh, besides everybody, I mean. You better not screw over these shows, they're actually funny stuff and you need to balance your funny ledger after Reba and Tim Allen's new shows.

Jessica Simpson really needs to find a different niche, the current isn't working for her, and she's not a cute teen pop star anymore. Will this be it? No. I mean, I could analyze it until I'm blue in the face, but the answer is just going to be "no" every time, I'm confident. She's not a talented actress or even a passable bimbo, she's stiff and awkward and trades on sexuality she doesn't actually possess (I mean personality-wise). Ben Silverman is a hack who will be shooting himself in the foot here, and I plan to enjoy the circus of failure as he attempts to cover up this blunder during its failure.

Fritz, no! How could you leave us? And partnered with Rebecca Romijn no less, that seems so awkward (she's a good actress, but a different style). Oh well, I'll still watch.

Mira Sorvino is great, but that doesn't sound like the right project for her. She needs new representation and management, her career deserves better, she's an Oscar winner for corn's sake.

The CW has awful, mediocre ratings any time of year, but midseason especially seems like a disastrous time to launch anything on a network that is watched by 0.3% of the population despite being FREE.
speaking of Scott Foley , wasnt he supposed to be in a comedy with becki newton ?
what happened to that show ?
You can't really compare anyone to Lucille Ball. Back then, when women were still not fully equal, she was both respected AND funny. She was insanely famous and popular as a result. She was kind of a pioneer in that effect.

Today... I don't know who would fit that bill. For starters, there are tons of female actresses and comedians... many of which are respected. Not to mention that the gender-gap is nothing like it was back then. Jessica Simpson though: I wouldn't put on the list. She's hot and funny, but not in the same league.

So, it's kind of like saying "Who's the Jackie Robinson of the 2000's" You really can't make that comparison with anyone today.
That's why NBC is on the bottom
There are 4 episodes of 666 Park Avenue left to air. ABC pulls it and wastes two weeks that could have been two more episodes to be done away with, then they are going to waste another, at least, for a reality show that's a repeat? 666 Park Avenue's ratings were far better than these decisions warrant. Also, why not try moving up Revenge to its spot and put 666 Park Avenue at 9pm eastern just after Once Upon a Time? In the meantime, that gives ABC time to decide what show to put in its place or possibly have one more ready to go. Another thing is, why didn't they put those two comedies on before Once Upon a Time followed by Once... then Revenge???

Unbelievable.
Putting 666 between OUAT and "Revenge" is a bad idea. Networks rely on lead-ins. The idea is that enough people stay on the network watching show A then stay for show B. If the ratings for show A go down then the ratings for show B drop a little too. Plus, 9PM on Sunday is semi-prime time real-estate.

Don't get me wrong, I want them to air the remaining episodes of 666. But if it's going to happen at all it will be on a Saturday... or filler in the middle of the week if one of their other shows gets cancelled.
I kind of think thematically, so OUaT, being fantasy, followed by 666 being supernatural and possibly darker, makes more sense to me. Plus I thought 666 may, hopefully, hold on to a few of OUaT's audience and maybe catch an audience waiting to watch Revenge. Maybe 666 on before OUaT then Revenge? I actually though 666 was getting better and sort of finding itself. It still wasn't great, but it was a bad time to pull it without trying another night or time or something.
I get that... fantasy followed by fantasy. Thematically it works and you'd think they'd share an audience.

But if the ratings were as bad as I've heard... then the lead-in issue remains. If the Network is losing lots of viewers after OUAT and before Revenge... they're not going to be happy. Because then besides having a weak 9AM slot... their 10PM slot will be affected.
Actually, I read somewhere that the 4 remaining episodes of 666 aren't gonna air until the summer.
Oh Jessica. How can we miss you if you won't go away?
Does anyone remember that sitcom she tried to do wayyyyyyy back when? The pilot? I thought it was pretty funny.
I am not sure what is wrong with NBC. I mean really, who in their right mind would give Jessica Simpson a sitcom. At this point they are really daring people to not watch their messed up channel. They get to barely better than average comedies in Go On and The New Normal, and they think they can continue with Whitney, which is horrible, and Guys With Kids. And yet Community is still being screwed over. I hate NBC, Jimmy Fallon needs to tell them to kiss his arse and go to CBS or try something with Fox. Because they are going to inevitably screw him over.
I hate NBC so much. They are wasting money that could go toward Community's six seasons and a movie on a bleeping Jessica Simpson pilot. What the what?!
Of all the concurrent realities I could have existed in, I had to end up living in the one with the NBC/Jessica Simpson relationship.
How do I get to the place where Jericho is on hiatus and on deck for season six?
I'd rather exist there.
Thumbs up for a Jericho shout-out!
Thanks for the support, but I need an exit strategy more than a thumbs up. I'm convinced that if we could all collectively put our heads together, we could find a way to get me where I belong...In return, I could go find out what happened with Jericho within seasons 3-5 by watching reruns & then report back through a trans-dimensional blog or something. That's gotta have some value, yeah?
I would throw all the help I could behind this idea if we could first confirm that Awake was still an ongoing series, too.
If any episode of any tv show ever can help you with this it should be the Fringe series finale on Friday.
Funnily enough, I thought Walt could prolly help quite a bit in that regard, but since he's a fictional character on a rival network, I figured it'd be better to attempt to solicit help towards my goal from real people. :|
Scott Foley was awesome in The Unit. Basically - everyone was awesome in The Unit.
At least David Duchovny knows what to look at...
Scott has done some solid work yet people I talk to think he's only done Scrub sand Greys

The Unit was one of my favorite shows. And that's just one example.
HERESY. Lucille Ball was a national treasure and a gift to TV in its infancy years. Even if you ascribe some level of talent to Jessica Simpson (not easy to do), there is still ABSOLUTELY NO JUSTIFICATION for that comparison. 100% behind you, Tim.
"NBC is trying to make Jessica Simpson a star again"

It didn't happen the first three times, maybe they should just give up already? Nawww, what am I saying?! It's NBC, their slogan is "We steal other networks' garbage and somehow make it worse".
Hey, let's give them credit. They're perfectly capable of making their own garbage, too. *cough* "The Event" *cough cough*
Was The Event a Lost ripoff? Either way, it was pretty terrible.
It was a ripoff of oh so many things. It really didn't have much resemblance to Lost. Now Persons Unknown, on the other hand, the NBC summer series... But while it was a failure, at least it was an epic failure.