News Briefs: NBC May Start Its Fall Season in August

Alright, wise guy, we're moving you to August!

WEIRD NBC SCHEDULING NEWS

... NBC poops on TV tradition. The network is considering starting its fall season in August, with new comedy Go On and the second season of Grimm the likely candidates to premiere before Labor Day. BUT WHY? Why would NBC do this? Stop yelling and I'll tell you! NBC is airing the 2012 Summer Olympics and hopes to ride the ensuing viewership wave immediately into new programming. It's an interesting idea, but I just don't see it working. [Deadline Hollywood]

... Community's final three episodes will now air on the same night, May 17, and will be billed as a 90-minute Season 3 finale. That's during sweeps week, so if you want a positive takeaway from this news, it's that NBC wants to put up good numbers it can sell against, and Community does particularly well in the 18-34 demographic. This can only mean one thing: RENEWAL IS IMMINENT! You heard it here twenty-first, folks. [NBC via press release]

BUSINESS TIME

... TruTV has announced a slate of new series and projects in development. It's TruTV, so I'll sift through the shows and filter out the unimportant stuff. Actually, that's all of them so I'll refine my parameters and filter out the stuff that doesn't sound crazy. Killer Karaoke will feature people who sing while enduring Jackass-esque physical challenges. I smell an Emmy! Other projects include an internet video clip show hosted by Shaquille O'Neal and a game show where right answers earn contestants a flight to party in Vegas and wrong answers make the flight bumpier. Five wrong answers in a row and the pilot jumps out of the plane with the only parachute, I'm assuming. [Deadline Hollywood]

... ABC has ordered a summer series called The Glass House. The Big Brother-type show will tap into the power of the internet and social media. Contestants who live in the house can connect to the outside world through the interwebs, learning valuable information about other contestants. Viewers can also tell contestants what to wear and what to eat and will dictate who gets voted out of the house. Well this will be interesting. How long before viewers demand that one contestant eats another and wears their face? [TV Guide]

... Hulu is about to make the whole concept of streaming television completely pointless. The service is thinking about requiring users to be pay-cable subscribers to access the site. In other words, to watch TV for free on your computer you'll have to pay $100 a month to watch it on your TV. Everyone say it with me: Hulu, you suck! [NY Post]

CASTING NEWS

... NCIS's David McCallum (he plays medical examiner Ducky) has signed a two-year deal to stay on the show. [Deadline Hollywood]

... Teri Hatcher's Desperate Housewives days are almost over, but her Jane By Design days are just beginning. Hatcher will play the role of Jane's estranged mother on a recurring basis, and will also direct an episode of the ABC Family show. [TV Line]

... John Legend is replacing Lionel Richie on ABC's upcoming music reality series Duets. Richie, who is awesome and you can't deny that, had to drop out of the show, which pairs unknowns with stars for a shot at making it big, because of a scheduling issue. [THR]

NEWS ABOUT BOOBS

... The producers of Starz's Magic City, a period piece set in Miami, had a hard time finding actresses with real breasts. That's some fine journalism right there! [Boston Herald]

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

I will acctually cry out of happiness if community gets another season, the best tv-show around deserves at the very least another season.. the best case scenario would be if they ran for my entire lifetime tho!
Talk about trying to drum up publicity producers of Magic City. One of the main female leads; Jessica Marais, has obvious fake breasts and they sure don't mind showing them.
I think NBC has a neat idea. In the summer I find myself pretty starved for original programming. I'm much more likely to watch many of the shows they put on as summer filler because there's nothing else airing. I might get into whatever they start airing before any of the other networks premiere their shows, which would result in me likely sticking with these shows. I remember when Gossip Girl premiered in August for its second season it did pretty well. I believe it was the best it ever did. I say give this a try. Why not take advantage of all of the viewers the Olympics will bring in?
If it is in the New York PEST, get it confirmed elsewhere. The paper's reliability index for anything, not just politics, is in the negative numbers.
After reading this article I might actually watch glass houses ... But it will never beat big brother !!!! ---- as far as NBC starting their fall premiers earlier in aug . That's totally cool with me ... The more tv shows I can watch without school = me happy :D
This season Jon Cryer practically carried it alone, I don't blame Ashton Kutcher too much, but more of the writing, however they do have some chemistry together and are a good fit, not nearly as good as it was with Sheen, but still...
If NBC starts their season early, does that mean they'll end it early too, or will they just add even more show-killing momentum-breaks to the mid-season?

Wow, David McCallum has signed 2 more years? Dang dude, the guy is 80 next year and still working (and looking damned good for his age), I'm impressed. Also, I just heard some of his jazz from the '60s, he can really write!
Fox starts their seasons in the summer sometimes and sometimes they get better ratings. Look at Prison Break and The OC. The OC numbers were higher in the summer than after the season began.
NBC may just have a good idea! By the end of summer, I am usually DYING for my shows to start, and sometimes I have to wait until the first week in October. That's way too long. One show, Sons of Anarchy, usually starts a week or two before the rest, and it is the first show I get lost in, because nothing else has premiered yet. So, if NBC decides to air a few shows just a few weeks earlier than normal, they may do well because there is always that late August early September drought while viewers are waiting for their new shows to start.

Or, it could fail horribly. I'd be interested for NBC to at least give it a go.
Starting the season in August is a bad idea. Grimm didn't premiere until the last week of October and yet it still seemed like there were so many weeks off or repeats in between. Starting early will just mean even more weeks off and repeats during the season. That's why so many shows lose viewers; you lose track of when new episodes are gonna air. As for Hulu, I really hope they don't start charging. I usually go there to watch cable series (I refuse to pay for cable just to watch the few shows I like.) Isn't that why they show ads, so we can watch the shows for FREE. If they ruin a good thing, they'll end up like Netflix.
I think it's a good idea that NBC is starting shows in August, although there are many shows that start weeks ahead of the rest. But the pattern tends to be that summer shows just don't pull in the ratings because they're on during the summer. Running the same show during the fall shows better ratings. Maybe NBC is looking for an excuse to cancel Grimm before the fall.

It's pretty clear that Hulu doesn't get the whole Internet streaming thing. People already pay for TV but want to turn to the Internet to catch episodes they missed. They're not going to want to pay again so they're just going to seek out alternative sources. They're making the false assumption that those who consume a product for free will also consume it for a fee, which is only true for a small percentage of consumers. I think this could break Hulu and possibly make way for an alternative service. Although living in Canada I don't get Hulu so it doesn't matter; I have to use whatever systems the Canadian sites use.

David McCallum signing for two more years implies that NCIS is renewed for at least two more years. I have a feeling he's going to wind up dying on that show.
Terri Hatcher is going from a show like DH to one of the less successful shows in ABC family??? why?
Bah! TV starting REALLY pooping on TV when LOST was playing. I'm not saying LOST is to blame, but they set the new standard of airing new episodes whenever the producers and network deemed the audience worthy, decided to wait a few years before a new season, cut seasons short with the promise of 9 new episodes in a row, etc. There is no norm anymore except that pretty much nothing is normal. Reruns are now the norm and new episodes the exception, there's "Fall Season", "Mid-season", and "Spring Season", and a million other in-betweens. Shows start and stop after 4 episodes, and others that have amazing potential are cut in favour of shows that end up failing the next season because they suck.

Hope that doesn't sound too jaded -- I'm just saying NBC, while not being smart, is really not breaking any 'rules'.
Ah, the elusive real breasts... they're now almost as difficult to find as the g-spot and good shows for TruTV.

Not sure how I feel about the Community news, especially if it isn't three straight episodes but rather separated by an episode of 30 Rock.
nbc plans to do this with the generous assumption of zillions of people will be watching summer olympics, right? yet really, how many people are there to watch olympic sports? live? apart from a couple of branches does that thing really attract that many people to change scheduling? and considering the huge time difference between london and us? do these people ever know how to calculate? and worse, that would be harmful instead of beneficial to the shows as many people still plan vacations in August..
If it means that I'll get to see the second season of Grimm sooner, I'm all for NBC starting its fall season early.

Yay, I'm glad Mr. McCallum has signed onto NCIS for two more years!
I don't see it working for NBC either. And that just means we'll have even more breaks and annoying scheduling of new episodes and reruns because they MUST fill the 35 weeks of the "season".
Didn't Fox debut Prison Break in August? If so, then starting the season before Labor Day doesn't seem such a hard and fast "tradition." And NBC expects a large audience for the Olympics, it seems worth a shot to use them to promote the network's fall schedule and get people who don't like reruns to give the new shows before they settle into their viewing routines.
Can I ask a favor please TV.com? What ever happened to Forensic Files on TruTV? It's the last remnant of Court TV and a TV staple for crime show fans for at least 10 years. Is it gone or what? Can you find out pretty please?? I'm afraid all the shows about towing and pawn shops are going to overpower the iconic show for good.
Unless the police are arresting a thief with some elaborate undercover sting at a pawn shop, I don't see why any pawn shows are on TruTV. The same goes for their other non-police/law/forensic programs.
that's why they changed the network name. they were anticipating the move away from crime-type shows. Killer Karaoke?? really??
It's on two or three o clock in the morning on weekends if I remember correctly. But yeah, I hate the tow truck shows on truTv too. Really? That is what people want to watch? Makes me want to read a book....
They show 2 re-runs Fridays at 11 but nothing new.
If Hulu does that, that will be the end of Hulu. The only people I know who are remotely interested in Hulu are people who have cancelled or are thinking about cancelling their cable. That's their niche. It's their opening. It's how the next generation of media happens. If they do this, they will cede their leadership in that space to the original programming experiment that youtube has got going on right now with their specialty channels. That's not just stupid, that's NBC-level stupid.
The great thing about HULU is you can now get get TV shows a la carte when it used to be so many wanted cable TV stations that way and cable said it was too cost and/or technologically prohibitive. HULU is owned by NBC, FOX, and ABC/Disney. NBC was purchased by Comcast (or they acquired controlling interest), so it makes sense they would want to be an online version of cable. The sick thing is Comcast has Xfinity, which pales in comparison, but they do carry CBS, which is not on HULU (yet). However, it does not excuse them from monopolizing things. I just got hit with an increase to over $90 in my HD cable bill and was truly thinking to give it up at season's end to switch to HULU and Netflix plus the standard over-the-air stations.. I'd be willing to go with $10 to $15 a month for HULU, but not anywhere what I am paying now, particularly if they continue commercials.
hulu x(
Community isn't a three-episode season finale though... 30 Rock airs after the first one, then we have the two-episode finale.
I think at this point NBC is throwing darts at a board filled with random words for new ideas. I agree with Kevin, below. A person is going to watch it or not watch it based sheerly on the quality of their product and whether or not it coincides with the times they watch TV and what else is on at that given moment. What I think would be hilarious however, is if the Olympics have the lowest ratings ever. Simply for being on NBC. Because at this point, I am having trouble thinking of a good product that they can't ruin.

Hulu is stupid. They took a great idea and made it kind of suck. Don't they get enough revenue for the 15 commercials they play within the span of a half hour of their content.

And I am sure the casting director for Magic City found it extremely difficult to find actresses with real breasts.
Whoever does the official checking of the breasts is probably incredibly happy to come to work everyday. No sick days for him (or her).
NBC's pretty stupid with that scheduling thing, if people are going to watch a show, they're going to watch it no matter when it starts.