News Briefs: NBC Reschedules Revolution's Finale

THE REVOLUTION WILL BE TELEVISED, JUST LATER THAN WE THOUGHT

... Following last night's bump of Revolution for special coverage of the tragedy in Boston, NBC has rescheduled the sci-fi drama's season finale. Instead of confusing everyone with two-hour episodes, surprise scheduling, or other stupid things, everything will be pushed back a week, placing the finale on June 3. Well, that was easy. [NBC via press release]

ALWAYS EXCITING RATINGS NEWS

... Syfy's "transmedia event" (ugh, the network's words, not mine) Defiance saw ratings that were out of this world (ugh, my words, not the network's) yesterday. The sci-fi drama pulled in 2.7 million viewers and 1.3 million in the 18-49 age group, making it the largest premiere for Syfy in that demographic since 2006's Eureka. I reviewed the thing, and you know what? I liked it. [Syfy via press release]

... Game of Thrones hit a series high with 4.7 million viewers on Sunday, which is odd considering it wasn't a premiere or finale. And you know what? I reviewed that thing, too! And it was excellent! Meanwhile, the very funny Veep, which returned for Season 2 on Sunday, was down to 1.2 million viewers from the 1.4 million who watched the series premiere a year ago. [Deadline Hollywood]

... What? You want more ratings news? Oooookay... Nurse Jackie returned for Season 5 up on Sunday, pulling in 770,000 viewers. That's up almost 20 percent from last year. You know what? Nurse Jackie is a pretty good show. I started rewatching it again just because, and I'm glad I did. Merritt Wever is awesome as Zoey and Edie Falco says a lot of bad words. And it's funny. The Borgias also returned, but it wasn't as fortunate, drawing only 582,000 viewers, down from the 604,000 who watched last season's premiere. This is one of those shows that I simply will never watch for no particular reason other than I'm already loaded with TV and now I'm supposed to watch Jeremy Irons strut around in fancy pope clothes? Finally, if you enjoy hearing bad news about Mad Men, then you'll like the fact that the second episode of Season 6 sunk all the way down to 2.66 million viewers from last week's 3.4 million viewers. That's a tank. [Deadline Hollywood]

BUSINESS TIME

... In a bizarre twist, Fox has pulled an episode of Family Guy from the internet after someone re-edited the episode into a viral video that depicted the series predicting yesterday's bombings at the Boston Marathon. The March episode "Turban Cowboy," in which Peter Griffin befriended a terrorist and also ran the Boston Marathon, was re-cut to portray a terrorist attack at the marathon in a video that made the rounds on the web. Fox has decided to pull "Turban Cowboy" from Hulu and its own site, and creator Seth MacFarlane called the edited video "abhorrent." Way to go, jerkface internet video-maker, whoever you are. [LA Times]

... MTV is developing a new drama centered on a theme park. There aren't many details on the project out there, but it should be a real roller-coaster ride HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Wheeeee! [Deadline Hollywood]

SAD NEWS

... Pat Summerall, one of the NFL's most famous broadcasters, passed away today at the age of 82. Summerall was recovering from surgery after suffering a broken hip. Summerall called 16 Super Bowls and was famously paired with John Madden in the booth. He also worked 27 Masters and 20 U.S. Open tennis tournaments. [The Dallas Morning News]

I liked Defiance too. Really surprising to me. I absolutely expected to hate it, especially being made by SyFy. I'll be watching regularly. meee223, I didn't care for Veep either, as much as I love Julia Louis Dreyfuss - and I think she's great in it - but the series itself is just booooring.
obvious why the GoT 303 did so well, the end of episode 302. Mr. J-Lan was pushed to the side during the second season so anything good, new development with his arch of the story is going to excite us fans. Plus having read the books we knew that one of the pivotal moments of the story was about to happen. Another one is on the horizon for the next episode.
Two episodes of the very boring Veep was enough for me.
I really liked Defiance more than I expected, nurse jackie was ok but too soon to say much, it basically just introduced the new characters, I HATED VEEP...very impressed with itself, doesn't really need us, I thought "1600 Penn" was actually funnier and did not push a liberal agenda...just comedy. SyFy channel needs more actual science fiction, so Defiance was a nice change of pace..I just never like to get involved with a SyFy series as they most often cancel anything that we enjoy, hopefully this will not happen to Defiance.
2.7 mil for Defiance is a nice figure, but by all accounts it's not enough to recoup their losses. W13 and Eureka don't have nearly the expenses. Syfy will give a season to grow but if the computer game doesn't make a bundle, it's going to be a losing propostion for them.

Speaking of which, the April 29 episode of W13 is already up on SyFy.com and Hulu.
Thanks for the heads up!
Merritt Weaver is the only thing remotely enjoyable about watching "Nurse Jackie". Jeremy Irons ridiculous borderline homophobic blathering a few weeks ago probably didn't help "Borgias". Its a costume drama and his nonsensical statements about defense of marriage between man and woman only had to piss off/confuse a sizeable number of that show's audience. Oh and as for still the most overrated "only older white guys love it" program on television; Mad Men's puny ratings: Kurt Sutter is somewhere laughing at the big bad Matt Weiner as his show declines in ratings every year while "Sons of Anarachy" has built on its audience each year. Its been downhill for "MM" ever since they lost their best actress to SAMCRO. "Sons" averaged around 4 million in the demographic this year and you pulled in a puny 2.6 for your SECOND episode of the season? Keep telling us how wonderful "Mad Men" is critics maybe if you write it enough, it will come true or at least Weiner will keep sending the swag to keep your opinion high.)
"Jeremy Irons ridiculous borderline homophobic blathering a few weeks ago probably didn't help Borgias." ? Do you mean the statements in the show?
If so, I must say that it was a VERY, VERY different time then !!! You must take that in the consideration.
If you refer to some statements in real life - I'm not aware of that.

And also, The Borgias also has plenty homosexual sex scenes between two men - for instance in the episode 7 (Lucrezia's Gambit) - so I don't know why would this show piss off the audience...
No he made statements in real life a while back that were crazy. He said if two members of the same sex could marry then father's could marry their son's to avoid certain inheritence taxes. It was the actor commenting, not the character.
I wasn't aware of that.
57% of Mad Men's viewers in season 4 were women. Frankly, I'm surprised the number is that low; guys don't tend to like costume dramas.
I don't agree with you that guys don't like costume dramas !!! My boyfriend and I watch these kind of shows and we absolutely LOVE The Borgias (we also loved The Tudors, and now also watch Da Vinci's Demons) !!! My boyfriend LOVES history/costume dramas. So I don't have that prejudice that "guys don't tend to like costume dramas"
I was just joking. I guess that makes sense that women stayed on and men left the audience. I never understood the appeal of "Mad Men". Its been the boring story of a man going through a mid life crisis for six years. I like the girl that was the object of Piper Perabo's affection in "Lost and Delirious" - Jessica Pare - but that's about it. It is the WHITEST show on television.
We never watched "Mad Men"... It sounds boring...
I think Defiance did well because Syfy viewers are hungry for some actual sci-fi on the network.
Or anywhere.
Doesn't hurt that the pilot was also pretty good.
So everyone on Facebook keeps posting about a Friends reunion but I refuse to believe it until its posted here. Any word?
Debunked. Never happening. Google and you'll see the quotes.
Definitely fake. EW.com has an interview with Marta Kaufman where she shuts it down.
so are we hopefully getting done with Mad Man? I just hope so..
Veep is a funny show. That is all.
Like/watch: Revolution, Nurse Jackie, GOT, The Borgias, Defiance, & still watching Mad Men--this season at least, but might drop it if it continues being so weirdly boring.

Not watching: Veep (stopped watching), Family Guy(never watched).

BTW: First I've heard that Nurse Jackie is a comedy? Always thought it was a drama.
30 minute dramedy, like weeds or californication.
"Finally, if you enjoy hearing bad news about Mad Men" ? No Tim, we don't, cause some of us are not haters
It says it all that Tim would try so desperately hard to convince us that Nurse Jackie is actually a good show (no one's fooled) and yet go out of his way to spread hate for the superb Mad Men.
I watch Mad Men, but it's currently getting what it deserves. It's boring even for Mad Men, it's completely repetitive, and it now comes with hippies and sideburns. Bad call, show.

I like Nurse Jackie, but it's a waste to baby up her best friend and disappear her the first episode in, and Zoey is the Jar Jar of the show. *The* most annoying character on television, and I'm actually remembering Girls and Charlie from Revolution and as I type this.

Defiance wasn't bad, but you really have to want to watch Sci-Fi, and The Borgias...no. Rome was a pomp as I can manage, but they took that from me.

And I think Veep is funny. Maybe it's my Community, where I like it, but everyone that I respect does not. Ehh.
For me Veep is hilarious
Heh, your description of Mad Men reminds me of how much I disliked so many of the later episodes of the original Mission: Impossible series, once it had left behind its classy international spy and intrigue plots in favor of constantly foiling "The Syndicate" and its ongoing plans to sell speed to hippies or corrupt the otherwise respectable world of boxing or whatever. Pfft.

Electronics and engineering genius Barney Collier playing a heroin-addicted R&B singer? No, just no.
Ah, Gislef, I'm glad you saw this. I know by your avatar that you loved Genius Barney, too. I do still wonder how he made all those clocks run fast in that one episode. ;-)
I love Zoe on Nurse Betty!
That Family Guy re-splice was just too soon for Seth. His statute of limitations on crass tragedy jokes is about three days. The video maker should have waited a few hours.
"Too soon" is most of it.

But, there is a thing as going too far... even from the writer's standpoint. Not from a "he SHOULDN'T do it" but a "WOULDN'T"

It's a tough call if he would EVER make said joke. I mean, Family Guy has made references to 9/11 in the past and they were rather tame. And I can't think of many big tragedies they've mocked, other than a one-liner here or there.

This? Hard to say. I doubt we'd ever see Peter partaking in the bloody slaughter / maiming of people. On the other hand, in 2 years I could see Peter saying "This was a bigger disaster than that time I misplaced my pressure cooker in Boston" which would cause a LOT of angry viewers. But I doubt they'd show the explosion or even the aftermath.
On the "Ted" unrated DVD he was a part of, there was a rather lazy Virginia Tech joke in the dining scene that was cut out of the original film. Although the splicing was in very particularly bad taste, the rest of the episode wasn't of great taste with Peter running everyone over to win the race, and blowing up the bridge full of people. I'm more surprised there isn't more outrage over The Jeselnik Offensive (which, while funny) making light of events like Newtown and Aurora on a regular basis, while Tosh gets blasted for "audience" member joke last summer.
Amazingly I was disappointed by a lack of Revolution last night.

you go, Game of Thrones, you earned it!

The Fact that Veep lost viewership renews my faith in humanity, the fact that you can call it "very funny" does not. a shit ton of talent acting like assholes with gradeschool humor does not "very funny" make. The Newsroom on the other hand is funny. Know why? Because wit.

Zoey is my absolute favorite on Nurse Jackie. I miss that gay dude from the first season though. Am also glad that dude who was also on Boardwalk Empire last season is no longer on either show.

The Borgias is a big meh across the board. you're not missing anything but it is tolerable.

I agree with zaidghazi's reply to your comment - Veep is getting better and better. And Julia Louis-Dreyfus is hilarious in it! I probably watch this show only because of her....
I totally agree with you on the veep thing. But try and watch the season 2 premiere. It's way better than the first season. The comedy is more witty.
Nurse jackie is ok, but it is NOT a gut wrenching comedy as it is depicted!!! A grin here and there, but seriously! In the same league as Modern family?? And Why isnt The League in this place instead of NJ?
So, Seth MacFarlane gets a pass for actually being the one responsible for producing a show that depicts Peter running over marathon runners and leaving bodies and pools of blood and having he and his friends involved in a car bomb plot and running away when they blow up a bridge like kids who broke someones window? Those internet splicers wouldn't have had the material to begin with if MacFarlane and FOX hadn't thought it acceptable, if not even funny enough, to air in the first place. I did not care for the marathon bit when I saw the original episode. Now karma has come back to bite them. MacFarlane can do amusing things, but he can be a real a**. Mind you, this came not too long after Newtown too. How is Peter's mass killing any different? Because it's a cartoon? Does McF not think his show's depiction was "abhorrent?? Hope McF learns from the hypocrisy of this. I'd like to doubt it, and I am in no way condoning their stupidity, but any chance the internet person or persons responsible were making the same point?
The problem is that the resplice completely decontextualizes the events of the episode. Any show can have violence or tragic events in them, as long as it does something with them--says something about them, comments on them or something related to them. I only saw the FG episode once, so I can't honestly recall what, in particular, the theme of the episode was, but oftentimes, FG episode's have some comment (even if it's muddled/weak or even stupid) on the ridiculous events therein. If the internet video is simply trying to glorify a tragic event, or make some ridiculous claim that FG somehow "predicted" (whatever they mean by that) the bombing, then it's certainly completely different than the episode itself with a clear narrative and (hopefully) point.
there is no other way of putting this except to call you an idiot. if you don't like the show, don't watch it, but if you don't understand dark humor, don't critique it.
Explain exactly what was funny about that and how it would differ from the reality of someone doing the same thing with a car, let alone a bomb? Why was it necessary and how did it contribute to the overall show? If it had never been put in, would you have missed it, or would it have mattered to you in any way, or do you think that was hilariously cool and made your socially retarded life all the more better for it? And the car bomb blowing up the bridge? Same thing?

It was a stupid, irresponsible bit at the time and the bomb plot left very little to be desired as well. Due to animation's lead time in getting episodes produced, this was done before Newtown, but the marathon scene could have been edited out or the show delayed for a time. Maybe they could have left it as a bonus episode on DVD or a lost episode to air on Adult Swim. I watch FG and enjoy some of its humor. However, I thought this episode in really poor taste, but moved on from it. McF, as well as FOX, need to learn from this and have more respect for human life, individually or en masse, and recognize when to dial it back or leave it alone entirely. The same is true for his writers and voice cast who should know when to object to things like this or ask what's the point or statement they are trying to make, if any. I doubt Bob Costas was thrilled he was part of it.

The bottom line is this: For McF to create this "dark humor", have it actually brought to life in its own indirect way, and then turn around to exclaim it "abhorrent' when someone, regardless of reason, throws it back in his and FOX's face is what's clearly idiotic, to say the least. It's the outrageous hypocrisy of this that offends me more than the show itself did.

More +
What?!? you mean to tell me that NBC did something simple and easy on the viewers? Next you will be telling me its snowing on Hell on Wheels.
Also that is great news about Defiance because that one is actually really good even if the comparisons between Nolan and Captain Malcolm Reynolds fall short.
You didn't mention ratings for Red Widow...

R W is just sooooo bad they don't bother rating it.
I tried but honestly didn't make it past the first 10 minutes of the show
Watch The Borgias guys, it's pretty good!
I absolutely agree with you - it has great production, story and acting !! And Jeremy Irons is excellent in it !!!
I actually finally gave up on Nurse Jackie at the end of last season. I decided that not only is it NOT funny, they aren't even trying to be funny anymore. They are too far up their own asses on the drama side of things to bother being funny. The entire 4th season was a waste. I'm still kind of pissed they cancelled United States of Tara and renewed Nurse Jackie. It felt backwards at the time and that view was reaffirmed after each new episode bored me to sleep last season. I can't even begin to imagine how it is picking up new viewers.
Whoo-hoo - screw you Mad Men. Proves tat all the hype cant cover the fact that a show about a man in a permenant mid life crisis has gotten dull and reptative.

And Defiance was good, hopefully it wont trail off
Alison Brie had a little joke about trailing off on Community. Alison Brie is also on Mad Men. Intentional thematic connection or influence of the subconscious?
How dare you besmirch Annie Edison!!
I'd be careful if I were you. You know what happens to people who use the word "besmirch"...
MTV developing a show centered around a theme park? so it's Adventureland?
Hopefully minus Kristen Stewart. She's the worst.
But...but...she's so expressive. Her emotions run the gamut from A to A.
A+ to A-?