News Briefs: Sharknado Won Twitter, But Not the Ratings

SHARKNADO SHARKNADO SHARKNADO

... Sharknado blew people's minds and broke the internet last night, but how did it actually score in the ratings? It didn't have much bite, actually (ha!). The sharksploitation movie only drew 1.4 million viewers and a 0.4 rating in the adult demo, good for like 50th place on basic cable for the night. But who cares about ratings? The movie was gill-ty of fishing for social media buzz, and it totally worked. Sharknado was a Twitter sensation, generating almost 387,000 mentions (almost as many as Game of Thrones' "The Rains of Castamere," a.k.a. the Red Wedding episode), and that's the kind of publicity Syfy was going for. Syfy will replay Sharknado next Thursday, and the network is also already discussing a Sharknado sequel. This is all everyone's fault. [Deadline Hollywood]

BUSINESS TIME

... *Bill Cosby noises* Comedy Central will air a Bill Cosby standup special on November 24, his first in three decades and countless boxes of Pudding Pops. The program will be directed by Robert Townsend and feature material from a recent live performance. [Philly.com]

... Oprah Winfrey and her cable network OWN have scored the interview of last century! Winfrey will chat with Lindsay Lohan when she's out of rehab, with an eye on an August an airdate. But that's not all! OWN will also air a reality show starring Lohan as she tries to stay clean and rebuild her career. Is it possible to show up late for and disrupt your own reality show? [EW]

... Disney continues to milk Marvel dry and will debut Marvel's Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H. on Disney XD on August 11, a.k.a. Breaking Bad day. The animated series features Hulk, She-Hulk, A-Bomb, Red Hulk, and Skaar and come on, is this thing actually real? This is a joke, right? Where's the hidden camera and Allen Funt? [Disney via press release]

CASTING NEWS

... Desmond Hume has to go back to the island! Henry Ian Cusick, who played the time-travelin' Scotsman on Lost, will guest-star on CBS's Hawaii Five-0. Cusick will appear in the season premiere as the leader of a terrorist group, with the possibility of returning to cause more headaches for McGarrett and the gang. [TV Line]

... Meanwhile, Desmond's Penny has found her own new job. Sonya Walger, who played Desmond's flame on Lost, has landed a recurring role on NBC's Parenthood. She'll play "a sexy and single architect" (triple threat) who works with Joel and probably tries to stick her tongue in his mouth. [EW]

... Anne Heche will join the cast of NBC's upcoming comedy The Michael J. Fox Show. She'll play a rival anchor at the news station where Michael works. Heche was last seen (by, like, no one) in the canceled comedy Save Me. [EW]

... Justin Hartley (Smallville, Emily Owens, M.D.) is finally leaving The CW. The hunk has found a spot on the third season of ABC's Revenge as the long-lost son of Victoria. [E! Online]

THE MOST IMPORTANT NEWS OF ALL

... The romance between The Big Bang Theory's Kaley Cuoco and Man of Steel's Henry Cavill is already over! And right before Comic-Con, too. [E! Online]

Sharknado wasn't going to win the ratings war the first time around. Reruns are where it will strike gold.
Justin Hartley as the long lost son of Victoria? Sounds like retype-casting in his previous role of Fox Crane on the ridiculously campy-supernatural soap, Passions.
I don't believe Sharknado drew positive publicity though. It was mainly a bunch of joke and ridicule at the low budget movie, populated by actors and actress that's not even D-list enough to go on Dancing with the Stars. In my opinion, it just shows what a joke Syfy has become.
I don't understand how Lindsay getting a reality show about her life is the best idea. Reality show producers do anything to make the lives of the subjects appear more exciting, So they will have to put her in conflict situations and create rifts within her family. Sounds like a great plan for a recovering addict.
so 1/5th of the people who watched Sharknado were tweeting about how bad it sucked, and somehow that is a good thing worthy of a sequel? Humanity is screwed.

PS: Basing anything on 'tweets' is idi-fucking-otic. ANYTHING. EVER.
Save Me was great. It totally made me like Anne Heche.
I've noticed that Henry Ian Cusick since LOST has played more evil characters. I guess if they're good roles it's fine but the biggest, hugest mistake was killing him off in Fringe.
Will Cosby's special be dirty? C'mon Bill, we want to see your act from back in the heyday.
Justin Hartley is long overdue for the jump to the main four networks. I'm surprised he's not on Grey's Anatomy. He seems perfect for the role.
My magical powers to grab Ian Somerhalder from the CW and make him Victoria's son missed and grabbed Justin Hartley! Lol jk I loved Smallville and am totally ok with this! From Green Arrow to son of Victoria, excellent ^_^
'Is it possible to show up late for and disrupt your own reality show?' That just blew my mind. I shouldn't go down this road but wouldn't it be awesome to do a reality show about Lindsay trying to get her life back together enough so that she can show up on time for her reality show. No? Sorry I asked.
Sounds a little like being late for your own funeral. They could call it "The Lindsay Inception": A reality show about Lindsay trying to be on time to a reality show about Lindsay practising being on time to a reality show about her life.

Then they could make a spin-off behind the scenes show: a film crew making a documentary about a film crew making a behind the scenes show about the reality show about Lindsay's life.
You know what? Audiences are to blame for why TV and movies suck so bad, people who see dogshit like "Sharknado" and think "why not". There's this attitude that somehow every piece of junk made to be a cheap piece of exploitation might become a cult classic if they just watch hard enough, that big cinema has failed so this might be trash but whatev's, it's not a big budget blockbuster, that's the attitude of the lazy mind, that's the attitude that creates the downward spiral of entertainment. You know why we don't have years like '84 anymore, years where we have Ghostbusters, Indiana Jones 2, Beverly Hills Cop, Gremlins, Police Academy, Footloose, Romancing the Stone, Splash, Purple Rain, Amadeus, Revenge of the Nerds, Bachelor Party, Red Dawn, The Killing Fields, The Terminator, Spinal Tap, Once Upon a Time in America, Nightmare on Elm Street, NeverEnding Story, Sixteen Candles, Dune, Star Trek 3, Conan 2, 2010, Top Secret, The Last Starfighter, Repo Man, Cannonball Run 2, Starman, The Natural, The Toxic Avenger, Buckaroo Banzai, Cotton Club, Muppets Take Manhattan, Johnny Dangerously, All of Me, Cotton Club, etc.. The reason we don't have those types of years anymore with mountains of choices is because studios keep dumbing down, and audiences don't care, audiences keep paying for diminishing returns. As long as audiences keep rewarding studios and networks for putting on trash like this, worse and worse content will get vomited out at us.
It's not only a downward spiral in entertainment. Politics, sports, economy, art, information, education - wherever I look and see there is so much bullshit to take. All this hot air can't be called "creating bubbles" any more - bubbles have at least a membrane, a casing of substance.
As long as we play along and mindlessly consume the game is on and will continue so. To what end - if there is a bottom of taste and insufferable humiliation of the mind I sincerely doubt - this deliberate agenda of stupidity does not steer towards an Orwellian future, but more likely to Huxley's "Brave New World".
The creative disaster in the movie industry ... banksters make movies in the end. And the rest of them is in only for the big cash-in and therefore are happy for the banksters so that they get richer and richer, right JOHNNY DEPP?
But this can't be all that there is to it... the scripts and concepts alone are too dumb, even by the lowest norm. I mean even high concept big pictures are hysterically infantile nowadays... and there is no end in sight. It gets worse and worse by the season but crap sells better than ever before. Sooner than later, the audiences have to adapt, evolve and then move on. The mindless consumer has to emancipate itself f.e. throughout excessive thievery. Hit them where it hurts. After I bought a ticket for an "Avatar" screening, I swore by the old gods and the new, that I will never ever pay for the vomit of imbeciles. If once in a while some good shit comes along, I'll reward them - happened TWICE since. The rest I dl just to delete it afterwards.(EAT THIS NSfuckingA)
Sorry if I bored you with my mad rambling, but you mentioned Repo Man, Dune and The Toxic Avenger in a single sentence. I couldn't resist.
More +
The irony that 1984 of all years would be the zenith of our society's ability to both express and enjoy quality content on so many levels. That our downfall would be not from Big Brother, but from Big Sucker, that we'd so easily allow ourselves to become chumps for talentless goons effective only at using our worst instincts against us.
Just goes to show you once again that Twitter is worthless. That much focus and it pulls in almost no viewership, it's "Snakes on a Plane" all over again. Eat a fat one, Sharknado and Siffy, you are clearly just trying to fulfill the prophecy of Mike Judge's Idiocracy. Well I say NO MORE! I'm not watching anything else on your awful network. Oh, it's not protest, you are just that awful that there's nothing I want to watch on your network right now.

Holy crap, a new Bill Cosby special and it's directed by Robert "Hollywood Shuffle" Townsend? I will be there, hopefully it'll be good, I really have no idea what to expect at this point after so long without the Cos.

Oh good, Anne Heche on tv again already, that should work out great. Ow! My eyes rolled too far and got sprained. Well, there goes The Michael J Fox Show down the toilet - if they have to resort to adding stunt-casted characters this late, they haven't got a pot to piss in, and life is too short to suffer through Anne Heche's idea of how TV acting should be over the top.
Let's acknowledge that whatever 20-something managed to get Sharknado more notice (at least in the "Twitterverse") than most of Syfy's CGI monster movies is a marketing whiz, but doesn't the fact that all that buzz didn't generate all that many ratings mean social media is not an accurate barometer of the public's taste in general? And can we stop having ostensible news broadcasts pretending that what's trending constitutes news? If your teenage sister's 40-character sentence fragments are news, then we might as well close the journalism schools, because what's the point of professional journalists? Anyone else remember how much buzz there was about Snakes on a Plane followed by a meagre opening weekend box office?
If you really think the twitter buzz was made by teenagers and 20-semothing people, you really don't know how twitter works. ^^"
Why? Am I skewing too young on the hipster demographic?
Lindsay Lohan is Sharknado minus the fun... and Sharknado was no fun at all.
OMG NOOOOOOOO!!!!!..I watched this thing in spurts because it was so awful I was afraid it would give me brain damage. I really felt Syfy sank to a all time low with this turd sandwich. I know it was not to be taken seriously but It was so offensive to the eyes and mind of the pure ignorance that I couldn't find any humor in it. Believe me I watch some of the awful movies Syfy has put out and had a good laugh, but this one NO..The only laugh it got from me was when the girl with the cheesy shark story fell out of the helicopter and got chomped by the great white. But later found out she was not dead and that ruined any laugh i had for this abomination of a movie.
A Sharknado sequel? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Sharksploitation is the greatest word in the world
I feel sharxploitation would be better spelling. (I'm serious, it does come from blaxploitation after all)
This is your fault people of America!!!! Why tweet it!!!! WHY!!!??!?!??!!??! Sharknado??!?!?!? Are you serious?!?!?!!?!?!!?!!!!?!!?
Lindsay Lohan will never get clean and rebuild any sort of life as long as we keep giving her all this attention. they should send her and Amanda Bynes to some Amish family or something, but then they'd try and film that too since there's so many Amish shows now. basically Lindsay and Amanda are doomed. remember when they actually had careers? been so long!

Sonya Walger on any show is always welcome, but I hate when they just throw in potential cheating just to have it start conflict. shows a lack of creativity. how about some actual ideas, Parenthood?

The Michael J. Fox Show and Sean Saves The World, will be cancelled ASAP and Community will return earlier. atleast I hope, because both of those shows look horrible.
I can't understand the attraction. Why does anyone care enough that she's still news. Fool me once, shame on me--but this is ridiculous. She's worse than Sharknado f' gads sake...
LOL @ The most important news of all.
Also, I bet NBC felt really bad about Save Me. Saw the trailer for The Michael J Fox Show and it looks great.

I hope that works
It'll be all your fault Tim if you keep talking about Sharknado so much! And what does sharks screaming sound like by the way?

Anywho, despite it being ludicrous, I sort of wanted Victoria's son to be a character we've already met on Revenge, but oh well.
it sounds like a rabbit scream, subsonic!
I enjoyed save me. not nearly as much as the goodwin games though. i miss the goodwin games.
"Revenge as the long-lost son of Victoria"...wait what? HOW DO YOU LOSE A SON? Maybe he and Daniel got switched at the hospital and this kid should have been a millionaire?
Er mah gerd PATRICK!!! I guess this rules out everyone's theories about Nolan or Jack somehow turning out the be the mystery son. I'm kind of relieved, that would have just been too cray.

...Does anyone else still care about this show? No? Okay, just asking.
I haven't watched since like halfway through season 2 but I have all the episodes and plan to burn through them...but this makes me not want to. How will they explain this?!
Like they explain everything else, it's magic. That would explain a lot, like how Jack and Declan actually became players after failing the old stand up and grab your ass test. Why Amanda died after surviving a one-story drop landing on her head. They just make this shit up--which is actually what fiction is all about, just not this sloppy. When Amada died I think I saw some shark jumping out there on the open sea...
They killed the fake Amanda? THANK GOD. She was my least favorite character by far. I hated her even more then Declan because he didn't really do anything but she was constantly fucking things up...opps I didn't follow the plan again...opps now I got knocked up, my bad Emily! But like I said I haven't watched since halfway through season 2.
The thing that always gets me is how easy it is to just dredge up someone from the past, and they're always sinister and diabolically clever. Now we get Green Arrow, but I doubt he'll be wearing the suit...
The explanation for Secret Son actually turns out to be one of the more plausible aspects of the show lately (not saying much, I know). Break out your finest wine in a box and burn through those episodes, baby!