News Briefs: Showtime and Robert De Niro Are Working on a Neo-Nazi Drama

WELL THIS WON'T BE BORING NEWS

... Showtime and Robert De Niro are partnering up on a new show called The 4th Reich, about Neo-Nazis in Boston and hell yeah I'm gonna watch if it gets made into a series. [Deadline Hollywood]

BUSINESS LOTS OF BUSINESS

... Dr. Phil has been renewed through 2016-2017... if he lives that long, that is. [Deadline Hollywood]

... After making lots of television shows based on good movies, network television today said, "Screw it, let's just make TV shows based on bad movies." CBS has greenlit a pilot based on 2011's Cameron Diaz-starring Bad Teacher. The single-camera comedy would be about a potty-mouthed divorced woman who becomes a teacher. I can count the number of people who want to see this on one hand (and I lost all my fingers in a pasta-making accident in 2007). [TV Guide]

... Fox has ordered two more pilots, both single-camera comedies. Enlisted, from Cougar Town co-creator Kevin Biegel, follows three very different brothers working at an Army base in Florida. Two Wrongs, from writer Michelle Morgan, is about a couple whose friends and families don't think they should be together. Is it me or this pilot season [fart noise]? [Deadline Hollywood]

... Maybe cable will improve the quality of these pilot pickups. FX has ordered a comedy about a man who gets approval from his wife to take a mistress in order to save his marriage. Better, but not bester. [Deadline Hollywood]

CASTING NEWS

... NBC's pilot The Gates made some fine casting choices today. Party Down's Ken Marino and The Daily Show's Aasif Mandvi (both pictured above, actual size) have secured spots on the show, which is set outside the front steps of an elementary school where parents drop their children off. Wait, for real? This is what the show is about? Small talk between parents who occasionally run into each other? [Deadline Hollywood]

... Sendhil Ramamurthy, who turned into a lizard insect creature monster on Heroes, has been promoted to series regular on The CW's Beauty and the Beast even though he hasn't appeared on the show yet. He'll first be seen on February 28 as Gabe, a rich New Yorker who sets his sights on Catherine. [THR]

... Brooke Shields has joined Army Wives, and now I've already exceeded my Army Wives news quota for the year. [Deadline Hollywood]

... British dame Charlotte Rampling (the original The Avengers) and Sean Patrick Flanery (The Young and the Restless) will join the Season 8 cast of Dexter. Rampling will play a psychiatrist and Flanery will play a private investigator. [EW / Deadline Hollywood]

... If you were alive today then you probably already heard this bit of news. J.J. Abrams, the creator of Felicity, will direct the new Star Wars movie. Expect the movie to take place on Tattooine, where the multiple suns will provide plenty of opportunity for lens flare. [Deadline Hollywood]

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

The gates does sound weirdly cool! At least it starts with 2 cool guys!!!!
I saw the first Star Wars back in the 70's...I think. I saw it again but that was it, so I don't even know why I'm wasting time writing this :)) Maybe it's because I don't have anything to watch after marathoning through all seasons of Breaking Bad. I'm restless and in withdrawal.

In the 90's there was a movie made about the world as it was if Hitler would have won the war, and it would be great as a tv-show. It's actually a pretty good movie. Don't remember the name of it.
If you liked the movie, you'll probably love the book with the same title - it was a bestseller in the late 70s , I think.
"In the 90's there was a movie made about the world as it was if Hitler would have won the war"
Fatherland- 1994, amirite?
And I bet that Hitler governed society resembles modern society today more and more by the day. Our CCTV emerging police state couldn't get any worse so I'm actually starting to wish Hitler won. Shocking huh!
Naw. Not shocking. I'm accustomed to people saying insanely ignorant things on the net all the time simply because they confuse words with farts.
Thanks for the laugh though.
well, not so much in my house, but when the wider family gathers for holidays, by the time we're all drunk enough to tolerate each other, we are all prone to talking out of our asses on a variety of subjects.
Good times, good times. :)
You've become accustomed to confusing words with farts?? Oh dear me, that must be some stimulating conversions in your house. Haha
I'm pretty sure Jewish people don't agree with you.
Rreeve, I actually largely agree with you. I just wanted that caveat out there.
You would think so huh.
I don't like to go all political activist on you (especially on a TV website) but you should research a wonderful group of people called the 'Jewish people against Zionism' to give you a better perspective of why I said something that sounds so awful on the surface.
Of course, it goes without saying that I wouldn't really want to live in a Hitler run society, that would be totally insane. My point is, if you look around modern society today and think of some of the draconian changes that Hitler would have introduced and most of them have come about in our so called, 'democratic' society. The only real difference is the speed with which it happened. Where Hitler's changes would have been sudden and quick, our society has taken a much slower approach, step-by-step, with one freedom being removed at a time. It's called the totalitarian tip-toe and it's designed through the politics of fear and opinion forming news. (propaganda) We now live in a greed-based, consumer society of obedient, submissive citizens who all try their best to be the same as everyone else. (A direct consequence of too much TV) Citizens today fear their government and the only way to prevent tyranny is when a government fears the people. If this tip-toe continues, imagine the world your grandchildren will inherit.

Anyway, this is a very long and very deep subject that will never get the justice it deserves in a small comment like this so I will leave it there in the hope that I've sparked your interest into doing some of your own research on the topic.
More +
THAAAAAAAANK YOU! That was it.
So NBC has picked up The Gates then. Yet another series based on a UK TV show, which means it has a one in 38.9 chance of succeeding.
JJ Abrams directing the the next Star Wars movie.

Mind officially blown.

A tiny part of me wants to see a sitcom about a bad teacher, but I still clicked "no" because I know I don't want to see a CBS sitcom based on that film.

Sir, you are correct in your well-voiced opinion about this pilot season. Fart noise indeed.

How can FX pick up a comedy when they won't have comedy by the fall? Anyway, could be good if it's smart, but after Anger Management I've lost blind faith in FX's programming department and will wait and see.

Ken Marino and Aasif Mandvi are both AWESOME, it's utterly tragic that they're going to be on a show destined for NBC, premise is immaterial because it's NBC.

Poor Sendhil Ramamurthy, first awfulness of Heroes, then he gets blown up on Covert Affairs, now this.

Sean Patrick Flanery: THE YOUNG INDIANA JONES CHRONICLES, damnit. I would also have accepted "The Dead Zone". Young Indy sucked tho.
"JJ Abrams ruined Star Trek by making it a dumb ripoff of Star Wars, what's that mean for Star Wars? ("That it'll be bad?" I KNOW THAT PART ALREADY!)"
How can you ruin something already dead? Ripoff of Star Wars? ??? I'm not hyped about it either but it could have been a lot worse than JJ.
Trek's been dead and come back before, it didn't mean anything then, it didn't have to mean anything now. Instead they went for quick bucks, for flash over substance, dumb summer blockbuster action over hope-for-the-future idea- and exploration-based adventure.

As for New Coke Trek ripping off Star Wars:
- farm boy sees no future from his gruff adopted parent, goes to the local spaceport bar and gets into a fight, is offered a greater path in life by a wise older man who spoke of his father's greatness;
- fast-paced action over science-based action scenes;
- Sulu's infinite-switchblade sword is very lightsaber-esque;
- after first wise older man is taken from Kirk and Kirk is left alone on Delta Vega, he magically comes across another very wise old man who further helps him become the man he's "destined" to be;
- bad guy's plan is to blow up planets;
- Delta Vega is straight up Hoth;
- Nero's head is all tattooed a la Darth Maul;
- young Kirk likes high speed action and crashes vehicles a la baby Anakin;

There's more out there but these come to mind immediately.

As for Star Wars suffering under Abrams' hand, I suspect it'll just be hollow characters using slick tech dialogue and cheap sitcom characterizations, lots of overly stylized camera moves that are the antithesis of the Star Wars type of storytelling, gimmick twists over real plotpoints, that sort of thing.
More +
Let's just agree on that they a) need a plot - no twists or episodes of fxs and b) lightsabers are the coolest weapons ever created. And thanks for the effort, I now see what you saw in the last Star Trek movie. Some things you mention are universal but some are definetly Star Warsian ... and the hollow characters you'll find in every "blockbuster" nowadays, that pisses me off, not only in JJs movies.
Bad teacher could be fun if it is about the teachers and not so much about the students + get an interesting actor to do the Timberlake (who can't act shit) part...
Please! Not the Bad Teacher thing.
We have enough violence in schools today.
No need to add more teacher-type characters who do something bad for kids to mimic.
Come ON CBS , you are drunk ! go home !!!

getting Bad Teacher in cable network is much better .. showtime would make a good dirty show , but CBS would ruin and censor everything that this show has to offer ...
boobs , curse words and teacher/student sex relationship
Great, two more Fox comedy pilots that will be cancelled even if they are actually good. These are likely being groomed to take over for Ben and Kate, and possibly Raising Hope, both of which are good shows and better than what these two pilots sound like.

Bad Teacher was good enough movie but a show was not warranted. Just because Anger Management has been moderately successful does not mean that all movies would translate well even with new characters.
Making TV shows based on bad movies isn't such a bad idea. It could give them an opportunity to improve on the idea. And it's better than bad TV shows based on good movies.
CBS + comedy = FAIL
Yes, CBS plus comedy equals fail, like the giant failure that is their entire Monday night, or their Thursday juggernaut. Utter tragedy how they can't make money or ratings out of that. Only 1/5th of the top 20 shows on television are CBS sitcoms, not top sitcoms, all shows.
Financial success or popularity does not always equal respect or quality.
Doesn't always not equal it either. Just because those shows aren't critical darlings doesn't mean they are poorly crafted.
I love how JT_Kirk comments stating, sarcastically, that CBS is not a failure, due to its overwhelming success despite its lack of quality, then two comments later states, unsarcastically, how JJ Abrams is fail due to his work on Star Trek, despite being a huge financial success. Hypocrisy at it's finest!
I'm not really sure what to reply here, other than that you didn't reply much of anything useful. The sitcoms on CBS are generic, boring, and mass appealing. They are in everyway standard, and bland. But they do well in the general market, which is what you were getting at in your original comment. They don't bring anything new or interesting, they bring the same schlock we've seen time and again, and it's been successful in gaining high viewership, but at the end of the day, the lineup overall is mediocre at best.
Now, you want to claim that this is somehow different from what happened with Star Trek, which is absolutely not the case. It was mass appealing, and generic sci fi action, which was enjoyable for the masses, but by no means winning any Oscars, or ranking amongst the greats of film making. And trying to hold the idea that the CBS lineup is good simply because its successful (which was your only argument so far), while simultaneously holding the idea that Star Trek is not good despite being successful, is hypocrisy. You're welcome, I guess, to argue that the CBS comedy lineup is somehow groundbreaking or high quality (it isn't), otherwise, please leave it be.
More +
Your claim of a "lack of quality" is dubious, there are plenty of dead sitcoms in CBS's wake which could have been in the current list of success yet weren't for some reason... their lack of quality. And what about tons of sitcoms aired on The CW or NBC or ABC or Fox or UPN or The WB over the last decade that didn't make it, how do you attribute the current CBS lineup as not quality compared to those? Luck? Magic? The mafia?

As for the comparison to JJ Abrams' ruining of Star Trek to this, these sitcoms are true to themselves, they are telling stories in a way consistent with their intentions. Abrams on the other hand ripped the soul from Star Trek, turned it into a slick, moronic, generic space action blockbuster with no heart, no spirit, and no understanding of the core of Star Trek's messages and characters. It surely doesn't bode well for Star Wars, although he did lift a ton of notes from Star Wars for that New Coke Trek movie.
Fourth Reich sounds absolutely amazing!
815th lens flare joke today. You're not the first. Truth is, I never noticed that sort of thing from him.

Bad Teacher won't work on CBS. Not without three cameras and a laugh track. If those people aren't told where to laugh, they won't know what to do and get confused, then start bashing their heads into furniture while grunting like mules!
That picture of Aasif Mandvi is creeping me out. One eye looks A LOT larger than the other and I feel like IT'S staring right into my soul. It scares me. But then again I also voted YES for the tv version of Bad Teacher.
didnt de niro already try tv with nyc22 last year? and i'm pretty sure the gates is based on a recent bbc comedy called gates
There was ABC's The Gates about that community of vampires and werewolves too.
i didnt see that one. but the bbc version is a sitcom based outside school gates - the exact description given.
was the gates on abc any good?
Somewhat. It was an interesting enough premise that got off to a little bit of a shaky start, but like a lot of shows was beginning to, seemingly, find itself before it was canceled. Not sure if it ever would have gotten much better though. I keep remembering it because the actor that played the lizard creature on the new Teen Wolf was, ironically, a teen werewolf on this.
Considering Star Wars is now owned by Disney (hate Disney), and also considering how terrible George Lucas' more recent film ventures were (Indiana Jones 4, Star Wars 1-3), I'm pretty relieved they went with JJ Abrams. He might be kinda hit-or-miss, but his good stuff is way good! Let's just hope this is one of the good ones...
Thinking and- wishing for- the same!
Did you hear Star Wars melody in Once Upon a Time? Think it was signaling,that SW will come to OUaT in season 3....oh my....

As for the movies goes...hoping for the best and does anyone know about story? When will it take place?
One concern is that his vision of Star Wars and Star Trek might make both seem the same or too similar without one standing out independently of the other to make them unique. Can't see Paramount being enthusiastic about this.
I don't know, they have such totally different aesthetics and mythologies that Abrams would have to spectacularly eff it up if they ended up being similar. He says he's a fan so I hope he just stays faithful to the original vision. If Abrams thinks people were angry about how Lost ended, just wait until he screws up Star Wars.
I have the same concern. I am also concerned about the lens flares giving me headaches and the starship bridges looking like the inside of an Apple store.
Have you seen the JJ Abrahms version of Star Trek? Spoiler Alert: He kills the Kirk origin story, TOS never happened, none of the movies ever happened, _Voyager_ never happened since the population of Vulcans is now an even dozen, nothing except Scott Bacula's _Enterpise_ happened. This was not just a reboot, it was agiant "F*ck You" to the entire franchise. So if he does Star Wars, it is going to be _Game of Thrones_? Luke f*cks Lea, Han accidentally murder Chewbacca, C-3P0 and Artoo never meet?
I'm not really getting the point of this post. Of course in his movie none of the ST movies, or the future series' (ST, TNG, DS9, Voyager) because they all take place in the future. IIRC, Enterprise was the only series to take place prior to the original, thus, chronologically, is the only one that has *any* effect on the events of the movie.
Well regardless of whoever would have made the movie, we wouldn't get back the feel of the 70s-80s movies so I think a "fresh" view on the franchise like done with Star Trek is the best that could happen. If they really have to make this movie it's the best if it's something new rather than some recycled (obvious) money making crap.
I'd be all over a Robert DeNiro cable series like a Raging Bull

& on the flipside, while must be cool to be JJ A. and be so tightly connected to both Star Trek AND Star Wars, there really is such a thing as over-saturation and getting too much of a good thing. I swear to effin' god, if Seth McFarlaine ends up providing any voices in the new flick, Ima snap into a slim jim & start breaking things
Lizard Insect Monster?