News Briefs: Super Bowl 47 Is Merely the Third-Most Watched Telecast of All Time

MORE LIKE OKAY BOWL NEWS

... The big match yesterday between the Ravens of Baltimore and the 49ers of San Francisco, known by the common folk as Super Bowl XLVII, now has a place in history. Just not where CBS had hoped it would be. 108.41 million people watched the Ravens hoist the Lombardi Trophy, making it the third-most watched broadcast in all of television history. Given the way Super Bowls have been regular record setters, it's a bit of a letdown for CBS, who no doubt had been rooting for the Patriots to beat the Ravens in the playoffs to set up a sexier match-up. A 34-minute power-outage delay in the third quarter with the Ravens holding a comfortable lead probably also led to a smaller audience than last year's record-setter (111.3 million viewers). Elementary landed the coveted post-Super Bowl spot, but because of the delay, it didn't start until after 11pm on the East Coast and netted 20.8 million viewers. That's a series high for freshman drama, but it's also way down from NBC's broadcast of The Voice last year after the big game, which suckered in 37.6 million viewers. In other news, I posted a season-high in calories, taking in the equivalent of a Blue Whale's week. [THR]

PICKUPS, RENEWALS, CANCELLATIONS, AND DATES

... Disney Channel has renewed Dog With a Blog for a second season. The show is a bone-a-fido hit among kids age 2-11 and TV.com writers named Tim. Seriously, did you see the episode when Stan the Talking and Blogging Dog crashed the car or the one where he played online video games and had Avery meet his online friend and pretend it was him but then she ended up liking the boy and Stan got upset and then later they teamed up to kill him online? Classic Stan. [Deadline Hollywood]

... GSN (the Game Show Network) has ordered 40 episodes of Minute To Win It, the competition where contestants do silly things with household items for cash. It used to air on NBC. [GSN via press release]

... Discovery is getting irie, brah. The network has announced two ganja-themed shows set to debut February 20: Pot Cops, which isn't about cops who get stoned and try to shoot criminals, and Weed Country, following the battle between pot growers and cops in Northern California. [Discovery via press release]

... Syndicated talk show The Ricki Lake Show has been canceled. Will someone break this news to Ricki? She's waiting in the studio talking to a vase. [Deadline Hollywood]

PILOT PICKUPS AND PASSES

... CBS has ordered a trio of pilots to beef up its development schedule. Single-camera comedy Crazy Ones comes from David E. Kelley and stars Robin Williams as the father half of a father-daughter team in the world of advertising. Anatomy of Violence comes from the producers of Homeland and follows a criminal psychologist who teams up with a young female detective. And Intelligence is about a U.S. Central Command agent who has a microchip planted in his brain that allows him to see electromagnetism. [TV Guide]

... MTV has ordered a pilot presentation for Watching the Wilsons, a partly improvised comedy spoofing the world of reality television. It would focus on a Kardashian-like family, but be partly scripted like most of the other reality shows out there. [Deadline Hollywood]

... Showtime has passed on the potential Chew series, which is a total bummer. The show would have been based on the comic series about a detective who can get psychic information from eating food. It also would have been awesome. Sad. [MTV]

CASTING NEWS

... Arrested Development's Jeffrey Tambor, who just booked a role on Law & Order: SVU, will star in Amazon's comedy pilot The Onion Presents: The News, a fictional behind-the-scenes look at the fictional news network. [Deadline Hollywood]

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

Two things had me cracking up here. The premise of chew and the premise for Amazon's first scripted whatever supposed to compete with Netflix blah blah. your idea is terrible Amazon.
Intelligence sounds like the kinda show that people heavily influenced by intense drugs dream up..or hallucinate.
Who the hell are these viewers who watch both the Super Bowl and also The Voice, what's the crossover demographic for this? Is it goldfish left in the room after everybody else is outside either partying or shooting angry rounds into the air?

"Bone-a-fido" NO! Bad Tim, bad! Drop it. DROP IT! Drop the pun, Tim, drop the pun. Bad blogger!

Poor Ricki Lake, canceled twice in a lifetime just because she has absolutely nothing to offer the afternoon chat show circuit whatsoever.

HOLY SHIT, David E. Kelley and Robin Williams doing a single-camera sitcom? Thanks, writers strike, for devaluing top-earning movie stars so they can go back to doing stuff like this.

So, Watching the Wilsons is a regular reality show then?

Oh Tim, I can't stay mad at you, no I can't, no I can't.
Those CBS pilots sound awful.
Anyone got any news on either Del Toro's The Strain on FX or Goyers production of 100 Bullets on Showtime? Especially for 100 Bullets it's a year and a half since we last heard of
Gonna have to watch Discovery Channel February 20th. If I can remember. And Robin Williams back on network television!?! Man, that is some pretty big shit.
I wish I could ban certain lovable actors from appearing on SVU. I don't want to see George Bluth Sr as a sexual predator, or a peeping Tom, or a purveyor of smut, or a madame! No thanks. Though, a madame would actually be pretty funny. Carry on, SVU.
Judging by his Arrested Development character Tambor's appearance on SVU will be typecasting. Plus I'm sure it will be awesome. Remember when Colbert gave a brilliant, dark turn on Criminal Intent?
Yeah, that weirded me out! I mean, it was cool to see Colbert act, but it was also so weeeird. Didn't he kill a bunch of people because his mom gave away his bicycle? :(
Sounds about right.
Can we call Minute to Win It what it really is please? It's "Drinking Games with A Fake Celebrity Chef."
108 million? I doubt it. How on Earth would they even know? To the extent that Nielsen numbers are ever valid, they could never be valid for Superbowl parties. How many people were in each house? How many were in the kitchen wishing absolutely anything else was on? I, for one, watched the commercials on YouTube, and while I was doing was, wondered if that would end up cannibalizing their audience. A lot of people (mostly women and geeks) that I know have only ever watched for the commercials. To say I question their methodology on this one would be a huge understatement. I question the Nielsen methodology. This is deep into Wild Ass Guess and overblown hyperbole territory.
I'm a (what most people could say) geek, but I watched it for the game not the commercials, in fact I didn't catch most commercials lol! I don't even follow football but I love watching a championship game.
Yeah, I wasn't trying to say most women and geeks don't watch the Superbowl, I was saying most of the people I know who don't watch it fall into one of those two categories.
Hey math-guy, how does the superbowl compare to the 2012 Olympics? (Not trying to antagonize you, figured you'd actually know this.)
In terms of viewing patterns? The Superbowl is a one day event. The Olympics go on for weeks and I generally kick my party guests out before weeks have elapsed. Or in terms of mythical viewing numbers? In that case, 900 million people watched the opening ceremony.
But isn't that how all Nielsen ratings are? I agree that absolutely no ratings are ever really accurate because of how Nielsen works, but relative to all of the other rating reports they ever have, that number is still gigantic. So the likelihood is that a huge percentage of those with Nielsen boxes watched the game, a much higher percentage than watch, well, everything else.
Yes, all of what you say is true, but the same methodology can't apply, because this kind of group watching totally changes everything. There is nothing like the Superbowl. The Nielsen data doesn't apply. Normally a Nielsen box represents a family. How many families does it represent on Superbowl Sunday? How many friends left their own homes? If they applied the Nielsen ratings in anything close to the same way, it would show LOWER ratings than anything else, because no one watches the Superbowl alone. Not even the pseudoscience of statistics can justify this in any way. This is pure marketing hype.
I would actually think it would mean that the real number is higher. Sure, people leave their homes--but they go to other peoples' homes, so one Nielsen box that usually has four people and represents I don't know how many people suddenly accounts for 10 or 12. Or they go to bars or restaurants (which don't have Nielsen boxes) and watch. Is the 108 million number probably a bit inflated? Sure. Of course. But it's probably not inflated any more than normal numbers are.

(And, FYI, I've been asked to take a Nielsen box, and I live alone, so it's not always families.)
Wow, 108 million people is, like, so LOW. It's totally horrible! They should, like, not have one next year!
Brb gotta go watch jersey shore