News Briefs: The CW Orders a Remake About Teens With Superpowers

A BUNCH MORE PILOTS NEWS

... The CW is doing something totally different and ordering a pilot about young people with superpowers. Greg Berlanti (lots of shows) and Julie Plec (The Vampire Diaries) will produce a remake of the '70s British series The Tomorrow People, a sci-fi drama about youngsters who are evolutionarily superior to us normal folk and team up to defeat some bad guys. So yeah, it's another one of those. Also given a pilot order by The CW was Blink, about a family dealing with the aftermath of a car accident that puts the father in a coma. However, the father can see and hear everything that's going on and he'll narrate portions of the show that we see from his point of view, often in fantasy sequences. Or you could just watch The Diving Bell and the Butterfly which is kind of the same thing except French. [EW]

... Lie to Me creator Samuel Baum has sold an untitled pilot to CBS about a hotshot doctor whose business card reads "The Surgeon General." Apparently this guy is the doctor to all of America or something? Where does CBS come up with this fantasy? [Deadline Hollywood]

... ABC has ordered a trio of pilots, including House creator David Shore's Doubt, about a street-savvy lawyer who works the system for his clients. Killer Women is an American adaptation of the Argentine series Mujeres Asesinas and follows a sassy, sexy woman who is the only member of the Texas Rangers. The Walker kind, not the Josh Hamilton kind. And finally, Awake's Kyle Killen received an order for his pilot Influence, about an agency that fixes problems using the proven sciences of motivation and manipulation. Let's make sure Kyle's show gets at least a full season, please. [TV Guide]

... Remember that Wonder Woman pilot Amazon that The CW was working on? We'll they're going to work on it a bit more and have decided to hold it for either midseason or next year. [Deadline Hollywood]

BUSINESS TIME

... South Park is being downsized starting next season, going from two seven-episode half seasons to one 10-episode whole season. [NY Times]

... Frank Darabont's upcoming TNT series L.A. Noir will no longer be called L.A. Noir because of the video game L.A. Noire that was released last year and that was very disappointing. I mean come on, all you did was look at old packs of cigarettes on the ground and then drive to another spot inbetween cut scenes that were longer than episodes of Aqua Teen Hunger Force. Anyway, Darabont is thinking about using Lost Angels, but we'll see what happens when the studio behind the 1989 film Lost Angels gets involved. [io9]

... The very funny web series Burning Love is hopping onto television courtesy of E! beginning February 25. Burning Love is from Ken Marino (Childrens Hospital) and is a spoof on The Bachelor. Season 2 starts Valentine's Day and flips the sexes with a parody of The Bachelorette. [EW]

CASTING NEWS

... Wendi McLendon-Covey (Bridesmaids) will recur on Showtime's upcoming Masters of Sex. She'll play a doctor on the show about sexual revolution pioneers William Masters and Virginia Johnson. [Deadline Hollywood]

... The West Wing's Allison Janney has landed the role of mom in CBS's pilot Mom. The comedy stars Anna Faris as a newly sober mom who tries to stay dry in the Napa Valley. Janney will play Faris's mom. [TV Line]

... Season 3 of AMC's The Killing has cast Elias Koteas. Koteas, who should be forever known as the guy in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, will play Sarah Linden's former partner, a cop with a secret, surprise surprise! [Deadline Hollywood]

... Cobie Smolders might reprise her role as Maria Hill in Joss Whedon's Marvel's S.H.I.E.L.D.. But this is just pillow talk, man, and the show is in its early stages, so let's not get all excited just yet. [TV Line]

My first thought when I read Elias Koteas was, "From Ninja Turtles?" and then I continued to read :)
The difference with The Tomorrow People is that they were psychic rather than just super-powered. And they show did pre-date all the other ensemble costume-less super-power shows so it really started the idea.
OH GOD, NO! Please don't subject us to this MORONIC CRAP again - P L E A S E !!!!
I'm begging here........
STOP HOLLYWOOD STUPIDITY!
Staff
Regarding Kyle Killen's series -- that information is great and all but which character is going to lead the double life?
Wow, whole lot of exciting news for once. Nice to see upcoming news and not see "cancelled", "short-ordered", or "on-the-bubble" anywhere in the news. (I don't really count South Park, that show ran its course years ago in my opinion, sorry fans!).
Why is South Park being downsized?
It's nice to see that the CW is finally starting (almost) to abandon the girly teen soaps that no one has ever watched on the network and expand its sci fi shows, which have always been its' highest rated even when they left them to die on Friday nights.

Disappointing to see South Park downsized. Trey and Matt better be able to make up for this big time with successful projects.
if your talking about Gilmore Girls, Gossip Girl, One Tree Hill, Dawson's Creek those were awesome, Now The CW has had plenty Fantasy or Superpowers past and present BUFFY ANGEL SMALLVILLE, ARROW, BEAUTY AND THE BEAST SUPERNATURAL THE SECRET CIRLCE
Gossip Girl and One Tree Hill have never been successful and have mostly averaged around a one rating. And unlike Dawson's (which was actually on the WB, and even the original 90210) which plenty of guys watched, Gossip Girl couldn't cross over to any other demographic than teen girls. And the major cause of the network's struggle has been because their soaps alienated males. Whereas many of their scifi can crossover into other demographics.
The WB came the CW so same network OTH lasted 9 seasons that is very successful, Gossip Girl lasted 6 season, their is a lot of shows that don't make past 2 or three season, so you may want to rethink your definition of successful , plus the Original 90210 was on the FOX, the way your statement reads it was on the WB, the Teen with superpowers is no different for the shows that I listed, so this is not new territory for the CW/WB and soaps do not alienated males trust me, their is plenty of Guys that watch/Watched Grey's, Desperate Housewives , OPAT, Dallas, I can go on, they might not be teen but they are Soaps none the less
I think you misunderstood; I didn't say that all teen soaps alienated males but that the ones that the CW has developed have. I was making a point by going from the beginning of the genre in the 90s (original 90210, Party of Five, Dawson's, etc.) to explain that they could cross over and attract other demographics. GG and the new 90210 simply don't, which is why the CW has struggled for years. Smallville and Supernatural always did. They even moved them to Fridays and they managed to keep half their ratings (which is pretty much impossible). They do attract more than one demo. And years on tv doesn't mean anything. Scrubs (which was great) was on for nine years despite never being successful. Ditto for 30 Rock. GG and OTH's longevity has more to do with Dawn Ostroff's incompetence than success. The CW has been drowning in red ink for years.
South park was the one show I was looking forward to this spring.... unless Hannibal comes on
LA Noire I just found out originally had different button meanings, so the "doubt" button was written as "coerce", which now makes a lot more sense since I'd put up a mild doubt and Cole would fly off the handle like a goddamned lunatic. I think it's fair of LA Noir to change its name, the game was in development before the novel was released, they're both on the same subject, it was fair of the developer to ask for that change (they didn't sue, they asked about potential confusion). "Lost Angels" is an ass title though, TNT can do better.

Ha ha, the South Park jackasses are now so lazy they can't even phone in 14 episodes a year.
Haha, I was thinking the same about Parker and Stone!
Lost Angeles is how I felt when I was trying to find all those damn golden film reels canisters.
Does no one remember that Tomorrow People remake from the 90's? Starting to think I imagined it....
I vaguely remembering hearing of it, but as we didn't get much British TV around here at the time, I didn't see it. Wikipedia says you're right though, '92 to '95.
I smell another cool british show getting ruined by an American remake. Leave The Tomorrow People alone. How long before you realise that your copies of other countries' shows are totally inferier and just don't work? Stop remaking other countries' TV shows and start creating original stuff of your own.
With the exception of Skins, I've enjoyed almost every single British show they've Americanized (Shameless, The Office, Life on Mars, Being Human, Elementary, The Inbetweeners, etc) I'm pretty burned out on people bashing remakes, especially when the originals weren't some amazing epic to begin with...
"Killer Women is an American adaptation of the Argentine series Mujeres Asesinas and follows a sassy, sexy woman who is the only member of the Texas Rangers." If this is the "adaptation" of "Mujeres Asesinas", then "Killer Women" has NOTHING in common with "Mujeres Asesinas" besides its name. "Mujeres Asesinas" consisted of a series of one-shot episodes which portrayed the lives and murders of Argentinian women, that is, ACTUALLY CONVICTED MURDERERS, murders which had made the news and were pretty well known. It was one of the greatests Argentinian TV shows, and it really saddens me to see it "adapted" so poorly.
The same shit over and over and over and over and over and over and over again...
The reason for this is that, apparently, people don't like change - as proven by the fact that NCIS is in its 75th season and Fringe got cancelled due to lack of interest. Ya gotta give the people what they want. And that, apparently, is what they want...
I still think CBS' Nielson ratings are skewed by not considering the excessive amount of seniors and elderly falling asleep with their TVs still on since Wheel of Fortune aired earlier in the evening.
I remember the Tomorrow People remake in the 90's on Nick, it was pretty good. It swapped out the use of technology they had in the 70's version for natural abilities to teleport and read minds. I hope this takes that path rather than the 70's version.
Nooo
Why downsize South Park??
I used to love The Tomorrow People. Not the greatest show on the planet, but I liked it. Don't know if I want the CW to mess it up though. I think it will all depend on a.) casting and b.) writing. Who knows? It might be fantastic.
Why not just keep "Alphas"? I know, different network, but the fact that the CW is trying to do something similar shows that they should keep "Alphas"? Please? Anyone? Bueller?
I'm kinda hoping for a US version of Misfits (haven't watched it? START NOW!) Some of the most reckless and irresponsible youths doing community service are struck by lightning and giving them powers that would be the worst possible abilities to match their flawed personalities.
Already love "Misfits"! The Nazi episode has got to be one of my favorites! But if the US is just gonna fuck it up like they did "Skins", better leave it to the brits.
"Fookin' Nazis..."
S.H.I.E.L.D. has the potential to be great
You guys, that doesn't work. South Park needs its season airing on opposite ends of the year so it can comment on everything that happened in the last six months. You take that away, and a lot of idiots in the media are going to get away parody-free!
Influence, can't wait. Third time lucky for Kyle ? ... let's hope (make it) so.
Knowing the CW The Tomorrow People will be filled with a cast of cover models, rich people, and nauseating love triangles.
To assume that would be to rob Julie Plec and Greg Berlanti of their due. These people have made great television; show some respect.
WHAT??? South Park is shortened? How? Why?
The Tomorrow People sounds generic as shit...
Pretty excited about SHIELD, already.
Killen's show sounds worse than Awake. I liked Awake, but didn't think it was the greatest show in the world.

Speaking of Awake, Blink sounds like it (a bit), but mostly like that doctor show NBC just had with Michael Shanks.

I hope Smulders is not on S.H.I.E.L.D. the same time she is on How I Met Your Mother. Seeing actors on two or more shows at the same time like that irritates me.
i totally loved L.A. Noire its was interesting and beautifly made, not a let down at all
i was totally expecting this to be about a Misfits remake, i heard Josh Schwartz was in talks
Kyle Killen deserves 2 seasons off the bat, given the treatment his shows have been given by networks in the past. Please, people, let's give this guy the credit he deserves in his writing and get this show the following it deserves. If you don't understand the first couple of episodes, that's probably because the writing is intelligent, and he didn't just shove out the first flimsy ideas that popped into his head (see: NCIS, episode number two hundred and whatever, I could narrate that show without seeing it every week).
Also, Elias Koteas was in the EXCELLENT yet underrated "Let Me In", a remake of the original Swedish "Let the Right One In". Though the starring credit in that film goes to the two kids without a doubt (phenomenal work there), he did his part quite well.
This is the "The West Wing" fan in me: Allison Janney!!!!
To the CW: I'd much prefer "The Soprano Diaries" like what was on SNL last week. And by the way, this site really needs a review of last Saturday's episode. It was one of the best in a long time, IMO.
The "hotshot doctor" show won't ever make it on CBS, it pretty much (with a few exceptions) only has crime/cop shows, or multi-cam sitcoms. I might be generalizing a bit though...

It's too bad about South Park, though. Of all the shows I actually watch and follow, South Park is the one I've been following the longest and stuck with. I think the 7 "half" seasons work well for the show, as they are able to make fun of what's current, and last season had some very strong episodes, even if the finale was a bit sloppy. Wednesday's a good enough night for TV anyway, with the return of Southland, and "The Americans" coming.
Tomorrow People has already been remade. Anybody remember the 90s version of that? Loved that as a kid.
Same here, unfortunately I can't find it anywhere. It's not.on DVD or digital download....I hate to say it, but I'm even considering torrenting it (even though I detest illegal downloading).
Why doesn't Joss Whedon do a show about people with powers? Sure SHIELD is about the people who police other people with powers but there is already "Grimm" for that. How about a show with people who can bloody embrace being a super-hero, or super-villain?
Super powers are expensive to create onscreen, and people got tired of Heroes pretty quickly, and not enough of them watched Alphas. That's why.
People loved Heroes, they hated the writer strike and subsequent expansion of 10 different storylines on 1 weekly show. Alphas kept their abilities simple enough for budget, but the show didn't carry much broad appeal at all. They need a show to do for heroes what The Walking Dead has done for zombies, legitimize it, dramatize it, and not just capitalize on it!
I agree. No show has ever successfully pulled off the super-hero arch, and if they do it gets canceled. I loved "No Ordinary Family" even if had a little too much family in it. My main problem is that these kind of shows either can't come up with a good recurring plot or come up with a cool way to manifest their powers. Which is what I hated about "Alphas", but loved in "The 400". And as for a budget, after the Avengers Joss Whedon can do WHATEVER he wants.
I think think the same thing that hurt Alphas is the same that hurt Heroes (well sort of) they came in great with doing the opposite of what Heroes did. They had self contained stories which were resolved by the end of the episode and the characters already knew each other, had their powers. There was no waiting for characters to meet or multiple story lines going on at the same time or going back and forth. Then at the end of the first season they took the show in a different direction and I think that's where it hurt the show. I think they should have watched Mutant X. A bit cheesy and short lived too, but I think they did do a pretty good job of keeping the series going (well that is until main characters started being killed off etc. and going in different directions)