News Briefs: The Newsroom Has a Return Date

SUPER LIGHT NEWS DAY BECAUSE IT'S FRIDAY

... Aaron Sorkin's drama about winning arguments and making your point through news in hindsight has a return date. HBO has announced that The Newsroom's second season will premiere on July 14. This year, the newsroom chases a mysterious tip, which leads to trouble. Here's a tip, Newsroom: Stop preaching! [HBO via press release]

... Need a boost in ratings? Just do an episode about a controversial topic like a school shooting and watch the viewers flock like bloodthirsty media outlets to the site of a school shooting! Glee's "Shooting Star," which sort of featured a school shooting (read MaryAnne's review for details), saw a 20-percent boost in ratings last night thanks to good old-fashioned controversy! 6.8 million viewers tuned in, which translated to a 2.4 rating in the adult demo. Elsewhere, there was good news for Hannibal, which held steady in its second episode compared to last week's debut. Follow-up episodes almost always drop considerably, so a flat showing is a great sign. Never mind that it was up against repeats this week, that'd just be a buzzkill for our party. [EW]

... CBS has a pilot in the mix starring Matthew Broderick as a recently widowed husband raising a 12-year-old son, and as if that didn't sound awesome already, energetic sprite Kristin Chenoweth (Pushing Daisies, GCB, award show red carpets) is involved. She'll play the judgmental waitress sister of Broderick's character. Having the two Tony-winners on board almost guarantees a regrettable musical episode about dating your dead wife's friend. [TV Line]

... Rosanna Arquette has joined the cast of Showtime's upcoming drama Ray Donovan. She'll recur on the series about a Hollywood fixer (Liev Schrieber) who helps the elite get out of jams, like dead tranny hookers and such. Arquette will play a friend of Ray's father. Yesterday, Arquette's sister Patricia was cast on Boardwalk Empire, so Papa Arquette must be feeling pretty proud now. [THR]

... Jackee Harry has joined the Boy Meets World revival Girl Meets World. The 227 star filmed a secret role in the pilot, but it's unclear whether she'll continue to appear on the series if it gets picked up. [Huffington Post

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter if you want to: @TimAtTVDotCom

I am so excited for this show to come back! The writing in this show is brilliant. Jeff Daniels shows us just how good an actor he really is in this and the character helps him shine! What a great show! It fills in where "The West Wing" left a void.
" Newsroom: Stop preaching! ", ummmm what? That super preachy scene they use from the opener on the show is mega-preachy, and also happens to be the best part?

Has tv.com article writer lost their mind mayhap?
"tranny hookers"? really? guess you needed to move on to a new acceptable target since n1&&ers and f@&&0ts have fallen out of favor, huh?
what's next? fat bashing?
If you have a problem with catharsis then you'll hate the Newsroom. But what kind of a doucebag are you that you get mad when other people get off. I like "The Newsroom", but I have no delusions that it's a liberal wet-dream.
Just to play devil's advocate, you (a general "you") probably wouldn't find it cathartic if you held views that differed very far from those of Sorkin's. Intense one-sidedness isn't necessarily something to be proud of. Having at least some semblance of balance is always best (in my opinion). No one has a monopoly on being "correct" all the time.

I genuinely loved Sports Night and The West Wing and even enjoyed Studio 60 for the most part, but I eventually tired of Sorkin's constantly bashing everyone over the head with his own ideas of Left Always Smart and Good, Right Always Dumb and Evil. It's just not that black and white in the real world.
Catharsis is emotional and subjective, it doesn't have anything to do with realism or balance. If you want to self-indulge in a fantasy world where there's a news channel that always gets it right, has amazing integrity, and preaches high-minded liberal philosophy, then "The Newsroom" is the show for you. If you want a realistic news show, watch THE NEWS.
"Here's a tip, Newsroom: Stop preaching!"

Seriously? That's the only thing they do really well.
Leaked season 4 trailer for the walking dead (not really, duh):
I actually really like The Newsroom. Think it's fast-paced, hilarious and it asks the audience to actually listen for once. Why do TV shows always have to be entertaining and nothing more? Who laid down those rules? Why can't a show stand for something, like The Newsroom does? I find it ridiculous and small-minded when you can't stand something else than the status quo. Open your mind. Better yet: broaden it. Watching The Newsroom requires an audience that's on the top of their game. It's not seedy reality tv. And guess what: THAT'S A GOOD THING.
here's a tip to you tim, stop trying to be funny, because every joke you write in a review or news briefs i tend to do the face palm, the newsroom is one of the best tv shows on at the minute, no matter how 'preachy' it seems, Aaron Sorkin is one heck of a writer, he is a writing genius in my opinion, every show he has created has made a big impact in my life. i hate when people hate on him and his work when they praise all of the crap thats currently on tv. tim can't even write a decent review.
I love The Newsroom.
Jeff Daniels FTW. Also the rest of the cast is great.
Newsroom, for when I miss the pace of The West Wing so badly, I'll take the extra two scoops of stupid. And I will. Hurry back, you mediocre show that's sadly in the past, you.

I at least hope for Hannibal. It would help if they chose a funny(er) sitcom for a lead-in. Do they want it to work or not?
Hannibal is (supposedly) preceded by a back-to-back pair of new episodes of Parks and Rec next week so you'll be able to test your theory.
Yeah, that'll do it. I don't like Parks at all either, but it *is* funnier than that new show. How could it not be.
"...so papa Arquette must be feeling pretty proud now."

Or David Arquette is feeling pretty lonely now.
Umm, Courtney Cox is letting him still be married to her, I say he is thankful for what he's got.
Sorry this is totally unrelated but there needs to be a front page review of Southland a.s.a.p! That was an amazing episode and if its not one of the most intense and raw things to have ever been on television, I dont know what else is.

PS: Newsroom! Because we need a journalist to look up to, and if it takes a fictional one, why not.
Oh my gosh, truly. That was shocking, brutal, intense and one of the most memorable episodes of *any* show *ever*. There have been at least three supremely good moments in its latest season but the main plot in this latest episode was nothing short of phenomenal. It definitely goes on this week's FTW list.
That was the most thrilling episode so far. I think that also makes it the best episode so far. But I don't think I like you-know-who doing you-know-what. (This isn't the place for spoilers). It's so out of character. But at least it has made me curious about what will happen next, and Southland's biggest flaw has always been that very little that happens matters in the next episode.
Definitely! Southland is such a great show; probably underrated because people must think it's just another cop show. I love it!
An absolute YES to everything written above here!
I like how preachy Newsroom is. Will McAvoy's flaming tirades on the general crappiness of media coverage and what a grotesque spectacle television journalism has become are comforting in a way. That it is all "Monday-morning-quarterback" hindsight coverage makes a good deal of it feel very tragicomedy, like we, the audience, are in on a sad gag the cast is in the dark on.
It's not all Monday morning quarterbacking, there was a segment on The Daily Show late last year about the Newsroom. The Newsroom employs real journo's as show advisors, and one of them is a guy who left CNN (I think) because they stopped doing investigative stories. So one of this years episodes has a real news story that the ex-CNN guy was working on but never made it onto the 'real' TV News (and I can't remember what the story is), so it seems the only place real investigative journalism is happening is in a fake TV News room
But won't it be a real story....from circa 2011? Won't it still be covering a story with critique that should've been said to complement what actually was? Isn't it all a late voice to old news?

I don't know what the story is yet, but I'll genuinely be surprised if Williams, Maddow, Hayes or MHP didn't touch on it. CNN is indeed a joke, but they aren't the only game in town.
Well I can't say how the Newsroom is going to treat the non-reporting as it were but I did find the segement so you can make your own mind up
I'm 24, so I never saw Morrow or Cronkite live, either. I did remember Dan Rather before he self-destructed. It was essentially the same dynamic with him before that, but the show goes on. As for Morrow and Cronkite, those guys weren't investigative journalists; the news came to them, which is what they're still doing now.

Anyway, these are outdated examples used to promote an outdated dynamic. There are more than three channels, there's internet, and now better internet, iPads, blogs, Youtube.

As for internationally significant news, those are covered by the lead anchors, and they'll ask someone from their network that's already there to talk with them about it. Even then, they don't really need to fly 'that one person' to cover it so much anymore, though some networks will still fly a usual face down there, but internationally significant news (things like Rwanda, Arab springs, Syria, PRK) isn't investigative news. For things of that magnitude, MSNBC already has their Geraldo in Richard Engel. He just got himself kidnapped and rescued a few months ago in Syria(?). There's also Andrea Mitchell. She can go wherever she wants, but it's never for something small.

And finally for The Newsroom, sure it would be great if there was a show that said "If real TV news rooms had their shit together the news would look something like this," but that is not this show. These guys screw up pretty much every single episode, and they're often held together with sticks and gum. If a real top-tier network was this bad at their jobs, CNN would say "at least we didn't do that." With them, they screw up most of the episode, and then attempt to wow us with one meaningful moment on the air, which *is* often meaningful, but as likely because someone screwed up again as not.

Again, the idea of being great with the news would make for fantastic television, but it doesn't need past or even actual events to do that, and that goes back to the main issue people have with this show. I don't know about you, but I'm not eager to relive the glory days of the Tea Party, and I'm incapable of reliving the same outrage I felt about the biggest oil clusterfail in history (the gulf spill wasn't an accident). They're done; for better or worse, I know how they played out. The best things about news are that we're learning about what's going on now and they're going to let us know what's about to happen next. The Newsroom is pretty much using different setups for the same twists we already know. The entire news element is anti-climatic, and it's just a shame. Hell, if it weren't for the diversity, I'd recommend they set it in the 50s or 60s.
More +
While I'm not old enough to remember the likes of Walter Cronkite & Edward Morrow, but when those type of individuals reported on something you knew you could trust the story because you could trust them. By putting thier face on a story, even if they hadn't done any of the leg work gave it credibility something that can't be achieved by having an anchor handing over to some random person in a far-flung corner of the earth.

And relying on local news teams to cover events that are internationally significant isn't a good idea, if the world had relied on local Rwandan reporting in 1994 the genocide would have been significantly worse and that was news that was easy to report on, nevermind anything that requires actual investigation.

And yes the Newsroom does have the benfit of hindsight when it comes to showing stories, but taking a news item and then saying to the viewers "If real TV news rooms had thier shit together the news would look something like this" isn't a bad thing. It pokes real journalists to get thier act together and prods the viewers to shout at news channels "Hey, you news guys. Get your shit together!"
More +
I remember that episode, and all it really says is what you already said, that he works on Newsroom now. We'll have to see what his actual story is, if we haven't already. It does remind me that he happens to look like Bradley Cooper, though.

I remember that Daily Show episode so well because when Jeff Daniels told Oliver that their news "is from a year ago! Look at the monitor: Romney losing ground to Santorum." and Oliver said, "Holy $%&@ing &**t, that is depressing." Sure, Oliver meant that it was sad that a fake news show was the only place the real ex-journalist could find a job (MSNBC has their own, and a long list of people already in line)...but I like to think he also meant that it was sad about using old news to Monday-Year QB every episode. I'm sticking to that.

Honestly, what the journalist wanted to do (be the next Geraldo), is outdated in a way. The stories should still be covered, but not by the same *known and trusted* face flying all over the world and covering every matter. I really don't think we care about that guy anymore in an international role. It's fine to have a nobody or a local who's already there cover it, possibly with the host anchor asking that person relevant questions. There's always someone already there, and if they have a decent story, no matter where it happens to be, they'd deserve a bit of time to cover it, not that guy flying all over looking for stuff, talking over a local's impassioned plea while they walk together. If he wanted to pick a spot and just stay there for a while, or fly around himself, that sounds fine.

Even on The Newsroom, the face guy was either caught or injured (I don't remember where, exactly), so they used a local guy who'd done his own work long before they showed up. Aside from some beat-up gear, that worked fine. That's the future. Let's get more gear out there and set up their networks instead of flying the same guy all around the world so he can try and catch up on things the local people already know more than he ever could. It's time we got used to accents.
More +
With the return of The Newsroom there will again finally be a funny political show on HBO. Haha. Suck it, Veep.
Don't know why I'm a bit excited for The Newsroom's return. I wonder if they'll start off the new season in telling-news-with-integrity mode or tea-party-is-the-american-taliban mode.
Am I the only one who doesn't see the appeal of Kristin Chenoweth?
Chenoweth was fantastic on stage in 'Wicked". I enjoyed 'Pushing Daisies' and was hoping she'd find requited love in the second season (*sigh*), so she has extra appeal for me.
I have only seen her in Pushing Daisies. She was great there, so I'm afraid that I don't see how it's possible to not see her appeal. The pie maker definitely chose the wrong girl.
Oh, I couldn't disagree more. Chuck was adorable, but Olive was just too much, way too intense, and had to turn down quite a few notches to become bearable. And it seemed to me Cheno wasn't exactly happy to play second fiddle to Anna Friel, as she constantly tried to steal the scene. After all, it wasn't the Olive Snook story, you know...
Not only you am afraid, I feel she shouldn't be in any show that needs to be taken serious. I think she is good for roles that involves being an airhead. No offence.
Ehh. If she could do it, I'd rather have Shannon Sossamon do it, and even then, ehh.
I like Sossamon. Not sure why you chose her as an alternative to Chenoweth? I don't see the similarities.
Ohhhhhh wait. I thought Chenoweth was the woman that played Chuck, so nvm all that. I don't see the appeal, but she's nice. I could see her on Nashville, but that's too easy.
Yeah, they're not that similar-looking. Just the mouth and teeth, and that they usually have the same mellow, laid-back roles. Some people just seem interchangeable, for big reasons or small. Keira Knightly / Rachel Weisz, Natalie Portman / Anne Hathaway, etc.
Yeah. Exactly. I don't dislike any of them (Knightly's pretty annoying in the pirate movies), but...ehh. If one of them could do it...y'know.
Wow, you mentioned at least three seemingly popular actresses in whom I never have any interest whatsoever watching. Truth be told, I suppose it could probably be all four.
I kinda liked her on Pushing Daisies. Nothing after that.
I liked her on The West Wing and she had a good little guest spot on The Good Wife, I can see how she could become quite annoying though.
I still dig her. I like her accent, she has a great singing voice, and does comedy pretty well. And while she's no longer the young beauty, she is still attractive.

• 8:00 pm