News Briefs: Work It Is as Good as Canceled

BIG AND SMALL RATINGS NEWS

... Work It might not be long for the world of television. The critically trashed ABC comedy disappointed in its second week, losing 20 percent of its already disappointing audience and ending up with a 1.5 rating in the adult demo and 4.9 million viewers. ABC should be canceling the show very soon, which could open up space for Cougar Town. [TV By the Numbers]

... Tim Tebow isn't just saving the Denver Broncos and starting photo trends, he's launching the NFL into ratings Nirvana. An astounding 42.4 million people watched Sunday's playoff game between the Broncos and the Pittsburgh Steelers, making it the most-watched show in the U.S. since the last Super Bowl. And don't think this is just about football. Tebow vs. Big Ben dwarfed the other three playoff games held over the weekend; the Detroit Lions' matchup with the New Orleans Saints attracted 31.8 million viewers in comparison. After upsetting Pittsburgh in dramatic fashion on Sunday, Tebow and the Broncos will next face Tom Brady and the New England Patriots. Expect that game to draw even more viewers. [Pro Football Talk]

... BET's The Game continues to be a huge hit for the network. Season 5 premiered to 5.3 million viewers. That's like three Work Its! [Deadline Hollywood]

NEWS ABOUT PEOPLE I DON'T PARTICULARLY CARE FOR

... Ashton Kutcher would like to return to Two and a Half Men next season. His initial contract with the show was only for one season -- basically, a "wait and see" approach to gauge audience interest. Well, the show is doing just fine without Charlie Sheen and with Ashton, and Ashton could use the extra money for a new bachelor pad. [Deadline Hollywood]

... Controversial sports shock jock and goatee-wearer Jim Rome is leaving ESPN for CBS. Rome will host a new show called Rome on the CBS Sports Network, as well as an unnamed program on Showtime (which is owned by CBS). Rome was last seen on ESPN in the afternoons on Jim Rome is Burning. [Deadline Hollywood]

MODERN FAMILY NEWS

... Modern Family boss Steve Levitan has revealed a cool storyline for next week's episode: Baby Lily will say the F-word, creating another relatable yet hilarious plot that we can all enjoy. Oh Modern Family, how do you do it!? [EW]

CASTING NEWS

... Saturday Night Live has announced a few more guests: Channing Tatum (February 4) and Zooey Deschanel (February 11). Musical guests will be, respectively, Bon Iver and Karmin. [NBC]

... Will Smith will host Nickelodeon's Kids' Choice Awards on March 31. [Deadline Hollywood]

... Whoopi Goldberg will-guest star on The Middle as Sue's guidance counselor. Look for her in the twenty-first episode of the season. Ed Asner will also guest-star at some point. [TV Guide]

... Four actors from One Life to Live will be checking into General Hospital. Kassie DePaiva, Roger Howarth, Michael Easton, and Kristen Alderson will all drop by the ABC soap opera in a storyline that executive producer Frank Valentini called "very exciting." Well, if he said it, it must be true! [TV Guide]

... Kim Kardashian will join Kelly Ripa as the carousel of guest hosts continues on Live! With Kelly following Regis Philbin's departure. Look for her on January 23. [Deadline Hollywood]

"SO THIS IS THE STATE OF POLITICS" NEWS

... A poll of Republican voters in South Carolina favored Stephen Colbert as the Republican Party presidential candidate over former Utah governor and sort-of contender Jon Huntsman. Colbert earned five percent of voter interest, above Huntsman's four percent. [EW]

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

If you can cancel a stupid show like Work it,so quickly,Then why can't you bring back OLTL quick? There is a time slot for it.Abc you suck .Couger town is another stupid show from ABC.Bring Back ONE LIFE TO LIVE.... SOAPS ARE the best shows ABC had,on TV.
I'm surprised Work It lasted 2 episodes! I never thought the idea of cross dressing for laughs was very good to start with. It blew my mind when Bosom Buddies lasted for 2 seasons back in 1980. But then again we were coming off the 70s back then - Lucy was only 20 years before that - so it was kind of revolutionary I guess. I never thought Bosom Buddies was very funny - mostly just stupid - and when I heard ABC was going to do a re-inventing of that show, I knew it was just a bad idea. And was it ever! I'm glad this series is gone. Now if only ABC could come up with an actually funny show to put in it's place. (They should remake Men Behaving Badly, the original inspiration for Man Up! MBB was such a funny show, every episode just cracked me up. Why don't we have comedies like that anymore?!!) Cougar Town isn't much better. I guess 8:30 on ABC just goes into the dead zone for me from now on!
which one is work it? this is the first time have heard of it. damn comedies.
Good riddance on Work It.
With "Work It's" cancellation, I hope this serves as a cautionary tale for all those tv and movie execs waiting to pitch the next cross dressing idea. It isn't funny anymore. It's not funny when women pose as men. It's not funny when men pose as women. It's not funny when the cross dresser falls in love with their unaware best friend. The last funny cross dressing character was "Arrested Development's" Mrs. Featherbottom and that's because it was so obvious it became absurd. Let's be more creative, shall we?
I wish I could comment on Two and a Half Men, it was one of my favorite shows, but since they fired Charlie, I quit watching. He was the MAIN reason I watched it in the first place. I miss my other cast members. It's good to read that Jake was given good material this season, thanks crazylegs99.
Colbert is A) hilarious, and B) from South Carolina.
Colbert is at least actually from South Carolina, so I can at least say a few Righties know he's a Democrat and just don't care. Also, whatever else he may be, he's an Anyone-But-Romney, so that immediately gets a few points with them. I'm not happy with my guy, but their guys suuuuuuuck.

"Romney: I'm the best of what's left!"
The 5% that prefer Stephen Colbert probably don't realize his show is a parody...no, seriously
- Now the problem is I can never unsee the image of Fernanado Sucre shaking his booty in high heels. I'll never look at Prison Break the same way again. Talk about killing two shows with one stone!

- This season of Two And A Half Men has been unimpressive to say the least. Despite his recent oafish behavior, Charlie Sheen was the backbone of the show. Ashton Kutcher has had patchy moments of humor, but his performance has been largely inconsistent. John Cryer is still doing his thing, but it's not the same without Sheen. On the the other hand, Jake has been a lot funnier this season.
People that like Tebow are idiots. Wait that's wrong, let me be more specific; People that like Tebow but not football (which is an alarming number) are idiots. People that think Tebow is presently a great QB don't pay any attention to statistics, he has the worst completion % in the league, at 46.5% for the season, GOOD QBs are over 60%. Anyone expecting the Broncos to beat the Pats are idiots; The Pats already crushed them this season, have home field, and although the Pats may have had one of the worst pass defenses in the season, the Broncos have the worst pass offense. They can run, but not nearly as well as Brady can throw. Tebow will need a miracle, he won't get it, cause in Foxboro, Brady is god.

Also, Work It is hilarious, people just don't appreciate the sheer absurdity of it.
Wow...Work It is canceled. That's more shocking than when Lohan went into rehab for the seventh time. But maybe their premise had truth to it in regards to women taking over...I mean if the longevity of Charlie's Angels means anything.
Well saw that coming now didn't we. Now bring back my Cougar Town dammit.
The quicker Work It! is off the air, the sooner I can go back to liking ABC.

I'm not a Tebow fan, but that game was fantastic... although Big Ben really disappointed.

I'm not a Republican, and more importantly, I'm not American... but I'd vote for Colbert.
I love Work It!!! It's really funny!!! More people should give it a chance!!!
I gave it a chance. Now I'd rather dunk my head in a toilet than watch it again.
I agree. I'm enjoying it while it's still on the air. Makes me laugh.
Sorry, it's going to take more than exclamation points to convince me of giving it another chance.
I second that. After hearing about the plot I thought it was the worst thing in years. But having watched the pilot it is actually funny and even intelligent.
I still feel the original (Bosom Buddies) with Tom Hanks was way funnier. Especially that one episode where Henry and Kip dress up as women and all kinds of hilarious hijinks ensues. Man! That episode always cracks me up. By far the best joke however was naming their female personae Hildegard and Buffy. Whoever came up with that deserved a Golden Globe or something. Maybe they did huh? I should look into that.
Um... The whole series of Bosom Buddies was Kip and Henry dressed like women - that was the whole idea of the show, that they had to pretend to be women in an all woman apartment building. You made it sound like they did that on only one show, but it was the basis of the entire series.
Somehow I can't see myself crying over the cancellation of Work It. I wonder why?

For someone not living in the States, that news about Stephen Colbert is hilarious. Is he favoured because the voters are protesting against the lack of real candidates, or have they actually missed the obvious satire of his show and think he is a great representative of Republican politics?
What's weird, funny, sad is that Work It is doing one ranking better than Parenthood in overall viewers for the night, but one ranking less in that 18-49 demo. However, I never see articles or comments here going on about Parenthood's imminent (hopeful?) demise...yet
Colbert for president

also, I pity those people who think Two and a half men should continue without Charlie Sheen. I stopped watching the episode at the start of this season but unfortunately it seems that many havent. I thought more people had taste about good Comedy. Kutcher isnt funny anymore. He wasnt even really funny in that 70s show except he managed to play the idiot well (I guess he had experience as an idiot)
Sheen or Kutcher are only as funny as the writers make them. Saying Kutcher isn't funny anymore without having seen this season is kind of retarded. If you don't know what you're talking about, don't make assumptions. There are valid points of criticism around Kutcher on TAAHM but humour is not one of them. More that he is jumping back and forth between a grown-up intelligent billionaire and a manchild. But then again Sheens character had even less depth, being just a sexmaniac who despises his brother. In terms of story this season of TAAHM has already achieved more than the previous seasons combined. And Sheen was never the one that made the show so great - that role belongs to Jon Cryer, who does an extraordinary job this season.
Stephen Colbert deserves that %5, period.
Is it just me or what here?

Last Man Standing doesn't really count against other shows on the network. For being a brand new sitcom/comedy on ABC. It's like ABC is attacking/cancelling fully successful new generation shows. And Last Man Standing doesn't go into that category as fully fiting new generation show.

Wow! Just like i thought it would be... TIm Allen wins all beating everybody and his show as well. I cannot wait for Cougar Town to return. So, i can see ABC's last year's winner, Courteney Cox beating team all and this year's winner, Tim Allen on the same tuesday night.
Yay we almost have Cougar town back on the air now we need to get one of the awful NBC comedies cancelled or moved so we can get Community back, I can't live in the darkest timeline anymore!
Maybe the time slot and wrong night killed just like on the empty hours before Grey's Anatomy or Fridays before Fringe and Supernatural, Grimm come on. lol Try Wipe Out[which I also like] 30 minute version for Tuesday slot and see what happens. Don't move my Wednesday shows until Survivor returns. lol
I refuse to apologize for liking ''Work it'', I also like Middle, Sub , Whitney, Up All Night and Parks and will dvr Rob. Don't worry, I ''voted'' to keep Tim Allen's new show too. I will miss Man Up though. Fogler was my fave on that one. Bravo should buy the Community loving audiences ''failed'' comedies and revive them to show ABC they failed by dropping. Sorry, I could not get into Community and some others at all. Not into the soul bashing variety either. Mean sarcasm disguised as humor.
wow, seeing Whitney, Man Up, Last Man Standing, Rob and Work It all in the same line hurt my eye.. you really don't expect much from a comedy,or from TV, or from life, do you?
i think people will be more surprised if work it isnt cancelled. its like an snl sketch like just makes you cringe and go, "oh come, even they couldnt think that was a good idea."
I don't know how adding OLTL characters into the GH mix is going to work. However I'm happy for their fans and the actors. They definitely deserve it. I just hope it doesn't make GH worse.
Thanks for sharing the Colbert article. Colbert for President!!
Its pretty obvious that this show won't make it. There are so many reasons why this show is horrible and offensive. Good bye 'Work It', you will be easily forgotten.
Too bad because it's one of the few comedies that's actually funny. This is the type of humor I like, not the so-called new batch of "adult comedies" that can't even get a chuckle out of me. The second episode was great, I thought. Love the dramas out there this year, both network and cable, but everyone needs at least one good comedy, and it looks like it's just Whitney, Up All Night and Two Broke Girls left if Work It is cancelled.
phew...
I wish I could have been in the room when the creators of Work It pitched their idea to the ABC executives responsible for green-lighting this atrocity. Did they hypnotize them? Slip some psychotropic drugs in their coffee? A Jedi mind trick, perhaps? I'd be fascinated to learn how anybody (in their right mind) could think this would be a good idea for a show.

I can't help but cheer for a guy like Tim Tebow. I love how he frustrates and baffles all the experts who insist he is not an NFL caliber QB. And in a league where they had to create a penalty for hubristic players excessive celebrations, it's refreshing to see a player honor someone other than himself. GO BRONCOS!

I swear if Stephen Colbert entered the Republican nominee race, he would be leading in the polls in under a week.
Maybe, just maybe, Work It made it on the air the same way Chandler was forced to move to Tulsa on Friends. They were all asleep and when asked, they all said "yes!" and then realized they really effed up.

As for Tebow, I just think he is a good QB and a great guy. He seems genuine and just well, nice. Plus, him v. Tom Brady this weekend? No contest. Go Denver.
I also find it's fascinating to try to imagine what the selection process might have been. I really don't get it. In a world where practically hundreds of people are pitching new shows to executives, they chose Work It? Any option must have been better than that! Hopefully Tim is right about what this could mean for Cougar Town.
It had to be something like that to get Work It on the air. Or a mass drugging. From what ABC (aside from Man Up and last man) has been coming up with recently in the realm of comedy. This just isn't, well it isn't good. It is bad. Suburgatory is having a great Freshman year and it truly a favorite of mine. Modern Family, knows what it is and the writers and the cast do it well. Happy Endings is shockingly good, I enjoy every aspect of it. I am so very glad Damon Wayans JR didn't stick with the Zooey show. Because he would have been wasted. And The Middle, well The Middle isn't Whitney. And that has a lot going for it.

Tebow is nothing. I am sorry Arch, I know everyone likes him. But he has literally done the bare minimum expected of a NFL QB to get them here. Now Matt Prater, their kicker who scored 11 of their points on Sunday and who without him the Broncos wouldn't even be close to the playoffs is who I think deserves the majority of the credit. Jesus (as played by Jason Sudekis) got it right when he said that he prayed to Matt.

Colbert 2012!
More +
I can't wait for ABC to cancel Work It and finally bring Cougar Town back. It's been TOO LONG.
airing of even the third episode of work it is an insult to all other shows aired in that channel..
Sounds Good. I know what people say about Cougar Town, But it is pretty funny.
Colbert vs Obama would be awesome my brain would explode.