News of The CW

When the UPN and The WB announced they were merging to become a single network, called The CW, there were questions about what would happen to many of their respective shows. Will low-rated but much-loved shows be swiftly killed off? As diehard fans know, it's difficult enough to get one network to listen to reason, let alone two.

According to a January 26 report on zap2it.com, fans of Tyra Banks and her cadre of pouty young wannabes can relax: America's Next Top Model will continue strutting its stuff on the new network. The show has been enjoying its highest ratings this season, and it had already been green-lighted for another two cycles by UPN before the merger was announced. Also probable survivors: Smallville, Everybody Hates Chris, and Gilmore Girls.

In a January 27 press release, the network intimated that WWE Smackdown will also be making the jump. Young men who live for the melodramatic dance-fighting of steroidal men in tights rejoice.

Entertainment Weekly reports that some nervous show-runners haven't heard a definite answer as to their fate. Veronica Mars creator Rob Thomas told the magazine that although UPN hasn't made any official announcement, "the buzz is that we are one they plan on keeping." Less optimistic was Greg Berlanti at the WB's Everwood, who said "we're fighting for our life."

Reuters reported today that the WB supernatural pilot The Cult, about a mind-controlling TV show, is the first project to be shelved since the merger. On the flip side, the WB Aquaman pilot is still moving ahead.

The new name may not make the cut, either. On January 27, The New York Post reported the network is thinking about a name change since The CW has already become the butt of Internet jokes.

What do you think of this new network? Sound off!

i just don't understand why the networks would merge until they were seen all across the country. I have watched Smackdown for many years and because of this merge I have not been able to view this show for a couple of months now. Thanks for nothing. Get it in Northwest Arkansas
what the crap... barely any of my shows went to the CW, and they ended all the good WB shows!!! replaced the fridaynight line up with WRESTLING.. just.. WHAT is that?!

GREAT idea... really
The idea of the two stations was a great idea. But the programming needs work both local and primetime. For example its called The CW...right? So that should mean it should only air WB shows (comedy, action, animation,etc.)and Paramound shows, also movies as well from both these companies in any catagory.
what were the shows that got canceled, or didn't get picked up?
HMMMM... The idea of two stations combining into one is great, but then there is the matter of the network showing which shows are going to survive from stations WB and UPN, HMMMM.... Would it be possible for the shows that didn't make it to go during local programming and show only WB/UPN shows??????????
I can appreciate the networks gasping for life to stay on the air so they have to do something drastic to keep going I just hope the quality of the programming improves for both networks as they become one entity.....another season of Smallville, come on does any one even watch this poorly scripted and acted show or do they just watch it and the network dish out money to the producers b/c they feel as long as its Superman people will watch whether its quality programing or not. THINK about it!
Well, with CW probably cancelling Everwood, I am moving completely to a ABC/NBC combo and I do not plan on returning to ex-WB.

Grey's Anatomy, Scrubs, ER, West Wing and Everwood were the shows I watched, but now, I'll focus on Grey's and Scrubs. Not interested in anything more.

I am not an Everwood fan, to be honest. I like the show as a stress reliefer after my work, which takes around 14-16 hours a day. So yeah, without TiVo, I wouldn't watch TV at all.

In fact, if I would be in TV biz series-wise, instead of news casting - I would probably bid on Everwood buyout. Sadly, I am not.
I just think that if CW doens't keep the good shows, that many people love like Veronica Mars ,Gilmore Girls, One Tree Hill, that have so many fans...they will just stopp watching the network as well...they can't, i don't see a reason to cancell it these shows that are really good shows! think twice after making a decision...keep Veronica Mars, Onte Tree Hill and Gilmore Girls...c'on!
I'll be crushed specially if you dont keep Veronica Mars!Like many people i know...
My votes are for Smallville, Supernatural and Veronica Mars - Love Everwood, sorry but don't watch Gilmore Girls but if I had to choose only three those would be my top three. Course then again, if the CW lacks the foresight then perhaps Sci-Fi will pick up at least two of these three since they're smart about picking endurance type shows.

A small aside, for the love of god people, if you're seeding your shows or networks, don't pretend you can't spell. It cheapens us all.
Here's my opinon

Keep: Veronica Mars, America's Next Top Model, Gilmore Girls, Supernatural, Everybody Hates Chris, Smallville, Reba, and Love Inc.

Not Keep: Living with Fran, Bedford Diaries, One Tree hill, Cuts, and Eve

The rest are pending.

These are just my opinons. I hope they keep Gilmore Girls, Veronica Mars, Reba, Everybody Hates Chris, and Love Inc.
Please, keep Veronica Mars. The show is amazingly fresh!
I hate CW. What a stupid name for a station. I can only think of country western, which doesn't fit with any of the shows I watch on either of the networks. Gilmore Girls, Veronica Mars, Related, Everybody Hates Chris,ANTM, there are some great shows between these two networks. UPN used to get me for Star Trek, all of the shows. I hate WWE! I will never watch that, but since I do not fit into most of the stations demographic I doubt they care.
it would be enjoyable to watch for other people
If One Tree Hill isnt in it, its a bad move.
I'm only hanging in to see Everwood off to syndication.
does this mean that there will be no more wb???? i luv that channel! anywayz: would CW be a cable network or non-cable network?
if some idiotic pointless comedy or a new but-same-old-story reality tv show gets on the new network but great shows that challenge its viewers' minds and hearts (EVERWOOD) in relation to real life and social events don't.... well then we'll all know to thank the brilliant minds of UPS for coming up with pointless and unwatchable shows and WB for the great job of being impatient with a young network full of strong lineup of shows every night and murdering half their viewers dedications to them.
Well I think that they will definitly make a huge huge mistake if they do not put on One Tree Hill! I just REALLY want that show to make it as well as the 14,000+ signitures that signed at http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/petition-sign.cgi?saveoth (please sign to help keep OTH on the air!) ALSO VISIT: http://www.fanbolt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29047 to also help keep our fave WB show on the air...

BUT I MUST CONCLUDE I WILL TOTALLY BOYCOTT "THE CW" IF OTH DOES NOT MAKE IT, ME MY FRIENDS & FAMILY WILL NOT SUPPORT THE CW IF OTH DOES NOT MAKE IT! A recent poll shows that "OTH" has the highest percent of votes to make it to the WB with 43% followed by CHARMED with 15% and GILMORE GIRLS with about 10%...all I can say is it will be a HUGE MISTAKE IF OTH IS NOT ON "THE CW" for years to come!

yeah! Smallville won't be cancelled. I think that merging was a good decision because shows that make the cut will become even more popular. However if a show gets cancelled that you love I feel sorry for you.
I don't really watch anything on this network, so i suppose I don't really care. It is smart what they're doing, because seperate, they can't compete with FOX, CBS, ABC, or NBC.
ahhh!!!!!!!!! if everwood and one tree hill and veronica mars do not make it i am boycotting this new network i will change to abc and fox
uh um lets see here as long as they keep smackdown what i like about you and Reba on they will be alright but if they don't there will be hell to pay.(not literally)
I love the idea. I've never had the Wb network so all Wb shows are played on Upn at 11pm. It means I won't have to stay up to watch Gilmore Girls.
Okay, as far as the merger goes, as long as they keep Gilmore Girls I'm fine. It's the name that I'm bothered by. CW? What does it mean? I don't get it, and I think its stupid.
Well, I won't think much of this "merger" if they take Everwood off... It's the only WB show I watch. Why do they keep cancelling the shows for families? I'm tired of all the teen dramas. Everwood has enough for everbody - some teen drama, family drama, relationship puzzles, family interaction... I never got why "Gilmore Girls" was so much more popular than Everwood. Everwood has it all over GG as far as I'm concerned.
Karen
hopefully they take our opinions under consideration. if supernatural and smallville make the cut, I'll be glad. if not, then I don't think I'll ever watch the network.
As long as they keep One Tree Hill and Gilmore Girls, I think CW will be fine. I really like both of those shows and hope they will be on next fall. I also like the new show Related and hope it will get a chance on the new network.
I think that although most people believe that this whole merger is a bad thing it might help te shows that will make the cut. I love the WB and I basically only watch Veronica Mars on UPN. But I do hope that among others Veronica Mars, Gilmore Girls and One Tre Hill all get to continue. Gilmore girls is only on season 6 and has a few more to come. One Tree Hill has only 4 seasons, so you know they have a few more years. Most importantly Veronica Mars is only in its 2nd season and I know that with a chance this show could go far. All we need is a chance and with this new merger it's exactly what will happen. Just give it a chance!
We have Everwood, One Tree Hill, Veronica Mars and A Couple of Comedies from WB and UPN to save.
Okay, everything listed there sounds great, but please please please, they must keep one tree hill.
Hoezo een plaatje van Tyra Banks erbij, het gaat niet eens over haar:) maar geeft niet hoor.
I really hope Veronica Mars gets picked up, mainly because a good friend of mine Jessy Schram(Hannah) just joined the cast as a reoccuring character.
time for a new save angel/bufy/firefly to get off the ground.up and flying to saveangel.org................................................

mabe this is a new place for that 70's sow,malcom,arrested devoplment,and most importanlty,ALIAS!!!!!!
Supernatural is the only decent show out there that does dark and edgy and scary. Please, please keep the show running, it is the only one of its kind.
I truly hope the new network doesn't really stink. I don't watch UPN because I don't like the shows but I love The WB. I hope all the good shows stay like gilmore girls, one tree hill, everwood, and what i like about you. It would truly be sad if some stupid UPN comedy that has no point took over the slot of something truly meaningful like Everwood! They could lose a ton of viewers!
i think this merger was a bad idea...the WB was doing ok, and could have made it big if they just gave it a few more years...they had plenty of big shows that were making their mark as "must sees" i think that if they would have just nixed UPN and kept the WB ratings would have skyrocketed plus, most merges tend to fail as history shows (look at AOL and Time Warner), plus the WB is only 10 years old and the big forerunners ABC,NBC,CBS, have been around for 40+ years can you expect to compete that quickly..shows that could have made it on the WB will get canceled and hopefully the shows that people like will keep their day/time slot otherwise people will be so confused. all and all i think this was a bad decision and as a result in the next few years we may lose the network altogehter which makes me very sad b/c the WB is pretty much the only network i watch..
Merging these two stations is the stupidest thing that could happen. The only thing worth watching on UPN is Veronica Mars and that's it. I love the WB. I watch a show on that channel every day. If this merger happens, lots of good shows will be over before their time! I say no to the CW!
Should be interesting to see what happens. What show's will stay alive and what one's will die. I don't normally watch either UPN or WB, but I do watch some of the shows if I catch them if none of my favourite shows are on. Like Smallville and American's Next Top Model. I do Love Smallville, but never seem to be able to catch it, Thursday's I'd rather watch NBC.
As long as gilmore Girls, veronica mars, everwood and related are on the new network I'm good.
I don't really watch much of the shows on both stations. The only two I watch are beauty and the geek and WWE smackdown. Every since buffy and angel went off the air, there has'nt been anything on. In fact, besides sunday nights on fox, those are the only shows that I watch now. I'm still alittle sore by how the wb ended angel, but not enough to stop watching beauty and the geek or WWE smackdown. Pretty much up in the air for me.
Everwood, Beauty and the Geek, Veronica Mars and Reba!
Everwood, Beauty and the Geek, Veronica Mars and Reba!
Time for a new season of Firefly. Perfect place for it.
well... it's good that Smallville and Gilmore Girls are going to make it, but how about Supernatural??? I love that show!!!
I love the WB so the thought of some of my favorite shows being dropped sucks, on that note I also like UPN's monday night line up in which only one at the most two of the shows will even be close to making the cut. I am happy though that Gilmore Girls and Smallville aren't going anywhere, if they were I'd have to raise some hell. On the downside I have never watched the WWE during prime time hours, and the thought that this will be stay in a prime time slot while some of my other favorites like Charmed and One tree hill might not just sickens me.
I really don't know what to think at this point. I guess as long as Smallville, Supernatural, One Tree Hill, and Everwood make it, I really don't care.
This whole thing sucks. Yes it will help the networks but what will happen to the shows we all love that don't get picked up. Do you realize how many people might stop watching these networks all together?
as long as gilmore girls, americas next top model (probable saves) are on i'll be okay, I'll love the CW if supernatural and veronica mars make the cut too =)
Load More Comments