Nine stands down Matthew Johns

The Nine Network has stood down NRL Footy Show co-host Matthew Johns following allegations of group sex aired on the ABC's Four Corners on Monday night.

Last week, in a pre-emptive strike before the ABC documentary could air, Nine told viewers a consensual sex incident in 2002 with a 19-year-old New Zealand woman had caused his family "enormous anguish and embarrassment and for that I can't say sorry enough".

But the details of the Four Corners story put Johns and players from the Cronulla Sharks in such a bad light that he has been roundly blasted in media.

The woman at the centre of the story said she had been suicidal following the incident, after other team-mates had participated in group sex.

Today the Nine Network decided to stand Johns down indefinitely from his role on The Footy Show. He has also been suspended from a part-time coaching position with Melbourne Storm.

Nine CEO David Gyngell said, "The fact is, whatever the arguments about the details of the New Zealand incident involving Cronulla players in 2002, the conduct and its aftermath was simply unacceptable, full stop.

"I fully endorse David Gallop's comments concerning the indefensible conduct of some players and the lack of respect for women -- and the critical focus on all stakeholders to help eradicate it from our game. I join with him in extending my apologies and sympathy to the young woman involved in the incident, who clearly is still distressed as a consequence."

"I have always had great regard for Matt, but he knows better than anyone that this incident has placed him in an untenable position. To his credit he has recognised that and acted upon it."

Trouble involving Footy Show hosts is nothing new to Nine with AFL host Sam Newman taken off air last year after an on-air incident in which he ridiculed a female sports journalist with a lingerie-clad mannequin.

Last week the media watchdog ACMA ruled that Newman provoked severe ridicule against the journalist on the grounds of gender. It has instructed Nine to advise it of any complaints regarding Newman and the Footy Show for the next six months.

Tracy Grimshaw will interview Matthew Johns on A Current Affair, 6:30pm tonight on Channel Nine.

I am so angry at channel nine for sacking matty johns and think he should be reinstated.His only crime was adultery and the only person he should answer to is his wife and he did that seven years ago.It was consensual and if that woman has problems its her own fault for putting herself in that situation.I dont feel sorry for her at all.she has cost him his career.He is a victim of the media.I want to see him back on tele.Fight back matty.I'm sure you regret the incident but you didn't deserve this
Gidget2208, honestly, I did not watch the Four Corners interview. I will look for it now so I have a more balanced opinion.

If it was rape then that's a terrible thing. All I'm saying is that gang bangs happen and it can be consensual.

Also, I may be naive but I believe that Matty Johns truly believes that it was consensual.
Ahhh this makes me ill. All the support for Johns seems to be from women. Did you even see the Four Corners interview?
7 years or 70 years...you wouldn't get over being gang raped. She was suicidal. And you feel sorry for a bloke that admits to having a "gang bang" and cheating on his wife.
Take a look at all the comments on all the sites who believe everything Johns has said and nothing of what the woman had to say. Is it any wonder that women who are raped would not report it or go to the police. In this case she did report it, and the police did not lay charges. This does not mean it never happened or that it was consensual, only that they could not make a case.
None of us were in that room but her testimony on the four corners show was compelling.
I just watched his ACA interview and I think that Tracy is kidding herself if she doesn't think that women willingly put themselves in these situations.

I feel very sorry for Matty and his family. I also feel very sorry for the young woman. She has done something that she regrets.
all the people on the footy show should stand down in support, they shouldn't stand matty down that girl gave her consent for the gang bang and now she has the hide after 7 years, how much did she get paid for the interveiw, the poor bloke payed the price years ago so leave him alone these girls that love the footy players and then cry rape should get a real life they are bloke's, what did she think they were goin to do just talk she loved it and i bet it's not the first time she has done this kid of thing, chanel 9 should be ashamed of them self's i bet everyone at that station has done something wrong in their life's.

i am a girl and i support matty, and that girl piperpoorlove if you don't like the footy show why comment on it and why r u a member.
I totally agree this is a load of cr**. What right has this girl got to come out after 7 years.. If she was so traumitised I'm sure that charges would of been layed back then.. You can't tell me that she wasn't a willing participant!! I have seen this before it's all about the guys well what about the girl?? I bet she was encouraging them all and having fun, except now the fun has stoped, maybe she needs money with these economic times people are stuggling for money!! I feel sorry for Matty and his family they have delt with this 7 years ago just leave it alone... I'm not saying he is has done right thing by cheating on his wife but this shouldn't of been allowed to resurface... I will saddly miss him on the footy show I just hope the media gives him a break but I'm sure that won't happen... I fully support you Matty.......
Who gives a crap? Anyone with an ounce of intelligence doesn't care about football anyway.
I think it absolutely discusting that Matty Johns has been fired, yes he did the wrong thing but when a women goes with a footy team thinking it is cool what does she expect is going to happen. I think they are just in it for the publicity and the money... I think the Footy Show is going to lose alot of viewers over the Mstty John axing... it is 7years ago aswell why are we only just hearing about it now. I am not a happy fan at all and think these girls should use their brains before going back to the rooms if they dont want this to happen.