NYT: Donnellys, Studio 60, Jordan out

Reports on next week's upfronts have spelled mostly good news for shows--such as Friday Night Lights, Medium, and Scrubs--so far, but with old shows getting renewed and new ones getting picked up, someone has to go.

Moles inside NBC (who have been very busy and very talkative the past few days) say that The Black Donnellys, Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, and Crossing Jordan have been canceled, according to The New York Times.

Donnellys, about a group of Irish brothers who get involved in organized crime in New York City, is the youngest show of the three to get whacked. The show, created by Paul Haggis and Bobby Moresco, is only months old, having premiered in February.

Studio 60 getting shuttered isn't much of a surprise. The drama from the mind of Aaron Sorkin (West Wing) had long been rumored to go under the axe, which came to a boil with reports of its sets being torn down last week.

Jordan is the elder of the group, having premiered on September 24, 2001. The drama followed the exploits of Dr. Jordan Cavanaugh, played by Jill Hennessy, at the Boston Medical Examiner's office.

Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip is one of the best shows I've ever seen. The last episodes of the series had been so exciting that I will remember it as one of the biggest injustice ever made in the tv world.
this is totally bad!!!!! i loveddd crossing jorda n and the "crash" episode can't be an end!! pleasee!!!! OH... all my favourite shows are being cancelled BAD PEOPLE who think nobody watched crossing jordan... in France EVERYONE loves it !! ... all the french inhabitants are sad now..
^^
Crossing Jordan was one of the best shows on TV. They need to bring it back for at least one more season to tie it all together and finish the hanging story lines.
goddamn!!!! the black donnellys were awsome :(
i guess iam get emo now.
I was really upset to find out that Studio 60 had been cancelled. It was one of the best shows i'd seen in years. I can't imagine what the executives must be thinking to cut such a show.

Funny, smart... I guess we cn't have smart shows on.

sad.
have to agree with you luckycharms. the new reality shows as was rightly said in studio 60 is a dumbing down of television for the masses. Didn't care for black donnelys but really enjoyed the other two shows
tv execs are knuckleheads!
studio 60 was one of the best shows ive seen in years. Black Donellys was pretty damn good too.
Friday Night Lights? Medium? Terrible shows.its just goes to show the state of the industry nowadays, fast food industry, networks are like mcdonalds.
Crossing Jordan really needs to be brought back to wrap up all the story lines!!!
I love studio 60!!!!! It's one of the best shows for me... one of my favourites!
buggers arent they?? im bored with the tosspots thinking the can sing/dance/whatever. i like good quality tv by people who are accomplished, like tim kring's crossing jordan....heroes can it last as long - could it?? season 1 had me bored halfway through - whereas CJ had a good storyline every episode, and made viewing an enjoyable experience. It shows how the media can depict whether a show is successful or not, by time slot and exposure. Jordan had neither, so that's their own fault. but please, spare me from fat/ugly people genuinely believing that the general public will buy their records and watch them shake their six arses or pin their ugly boat-races on the inside of lockers. axe pop idol, xfactor all of them and bring back shows requested by fans. (im ashamed simons fuller and cowell are English.) tada xx
Crossing Jordan being cancelled was a big shock, didn't even know until I came on here to check what date it would start up again! Urg! That stinks. And the Black Donnellys was a good show too. I was just starting to get into it! What is it with cancelling all the new shows after just a few episodes huh? THey're not being give a fair chance!
bah, i liked studio 60. ALOT !
Taking Crossing Jordan off is a enormous mistake! It is a great series ,and should have been continued!
I am not surprised with the cuts except for Crossing Jordan was not a big fan but did enjoy watching it from Time to Time.. my father was the big fan and always kept me up on what is going on
How on earth can they cancel Crossing Jordan: TV is full of crap and they are canceling a good show? Silly executives!
Crossing Jordan was my favorite. Can't believe it was cancelled. Kudos to all of them. Who decides to do this.
Studio 60 is a great show!
I think NBC should look at what has happened to Jericho on CBS and figure out that the Neilsons mean nothing in rating how many people are watching. The Black Donnelys is a great show and NBC is cancelling one of the best shows it has. BAD MOVE!!
NBC may well have surpassed FOX as the worst network.
There once was a time when you could plan your day around watching a television show. I clearly recall waiting for Monday night to roll around so that I could get together with my girlfriends and watch the next juicy installment of “Melrose Place”. Those days are long gone my friends.

Welcome to the next generation of television. Now we have Tivo and DVR, which allows users to watch their favorite shows on their schedule. Fantastic! We also have the newer generation of television shows-reality tv! Will this trend ever die? When it was introduced about a decade ago, I never thought it would desiccate television as we knew it! Now, this is where I draw the line. I, personally, watch tv to get away from reality. I have to admit there are a select few reality shows that I do watch, but I am not an “American Idol” or “Top Chef” type of girl. The Real Wedding Crashers?! Yikes. All I want is a hunky guy, a hot chic and some drama! I also do not want to watch three different version of Law & Order or CSI. Geez, really, one of each of those shows is plenty! Gimme some variety!? During the last couple of years, after a couple of my long-running favorites, like Charmed were cancelled, I started watching several of the new shows on television. I was particularly interested in some of the newer shows that they were introducing, such as Smith (CBS)-a great drama with Ray Liotta playing a long time jewel thief who is trying to get out of the business. His wife was played by Virginia Madsen, who I love! It also starred Amy Smart and the sexy Simon Baker. There was also Kidnapped (NBC), a story about a wealth family (maybe a Senator?) who had their son kidnapped and who call in a specialist to help. One of my very favorites was the comedy, Four Kings, starring Seth Green, a story about four late 20s guys living in a loft together. That show was HILARIOUS! I also watched Vanished (FOX), and Invasion (ABC), which actually aired a full season and a cliff-hanger season finale that was great! I also love court dramas, and since Law & Order has been monopolizing the market it was nice to have, what I saw as a “younger” version in Justice (FOX). This show starred Victor Garber of Alias (cancelled) and Kerr Smith of Charmed.(cancelled). Another show I watched religiously was Jericho (CBS). I also watched my old favorite, Crossing Jordan and the new and smart Studio 60 with Mathew Perry. But, I have to admit that the show that I would have started inviting girlfriends over for was Windfall (NBC). It was about a large group of friends who get together and buy lottery tickets at these “lotto parties”. They never win until one day when they hit the jackpot! I really like the shows that have multiple characters with multiple storylines and intersections of lives (Lost, etc.) I was overwhelmed with all of my choices! With my new DVR remote in hand, I recorded every single episode of each of those shows! Yes! I was overwhelmed with my choices of things to watch when I sat down to watch tv! There was a nice variety, and it seemed like the tv networks really knew what they were doing. I could watch about the end of the world as we know it, or I could watch a bunch of guys goofing on each other. Nice.

All of a sudden it changed. After only a few episodes, Smith disappeared. Shortly thereafter, I noticed that I hadn’t seen Four Kings in some time. Huh. Cancelled. I guess that they put it on some long break around the beginning of the year and then they brought it back after Superbowl with a dramatic reduction in viewership. DUH!? Then, they cancelled Kidnapped and Vanished. Wow, my tv shows suddenly got a lot less plentiful. Windfall disappeared and, although I signed petitions and sent emails to the networks, reruns of “old favorites” were put in the slots of some of these shows. I have seen the reruns?! Why would I rather see reruns than a new show? Do the networks ask themselves? Do they ask anyone? I just found out that Jericho, the last new show I got interested in (and I have to say it had it’s less-than-stellar moments, but I was willing to see it through!), got cancelled right after the big season finale! I don’t even know what to say. Also, Crossing Jordan was cancelled after the season finale and Studio 60, which has been on an extended hiatus, is cancelled as well.

I spent numerous hours watching these television shows and getting INVESTED into the storylines, just for them to be dumped like day old trash. I have to say I am getting jaded. I almost don’t want to start watching a show until it has been on for an entire season because they seem to pull more shows than they keep. I don’t even feel like many of the shows get a chance to get viewership. What if Seinfeld had been cancelled in it’s first three episodes? The way I hear it, that show did horribly the first year it was broadcast. What changed between then and now? Are these networks just too worried about the “big bucks” and not considering the actual people who plan their lives around these shows? It is like reading a book and losing it before you can find out how it ended. Except in that example, you can always go get another copy of the book. What are we to do, as viewers? I have no recourse other than to not watch network tv. Why cant they cancel “American Idol” or one of the other reality series midway? I would not mind one bit! Are these reality shows more important that NORMAL television? I just saw a commercial for a reality series about PIRATES. Come on! The most infuriating thing is that, in most cases, they don’t even commit to a whole season for us viewers. It is like were part of a big experiment with the people who watch tv as the test subjects!! At least let us have a season of a show! Give it the chance to catch on. Sell us the fact that we can trust you enough to invest our lives into a show without getting left with tons of unanswered questions! We are impotent when it comes to your decision to keep or cut a show. All I can do is watch—but that just doesn’t seem to be working?!

So, here I sit. The only shows I watch now are Lost and Medium. I am forced to watch the shows that they may actually keep, not the ones that are the most interesting. It is really sad, but isn’t it a trap for these new shows? I mean, I am a loyal tv viewer, but I am not an idiot. With all of the current shows having their season finales, they have a new lineup of tv shows slotted to replace them during Summer. I will not be watching these shows because I do not want to get involved in a show that is going to get cancelled—again. So, unless I am an exception to the rule, I must assume that there are other people out there who have become jaded over the last couple of years as well. So, now the networks air these new shows, none of the “loyal viewers invest time in them until they are established—so, the show is cancelled. And so on, and so on…. To all the TV Network Executives: GET A CLUE!
I am sick of NBC they have jerked my shows around one time too many. Crossing Jordan is one of the best shows on TV today and we have had to put up with the show being delayed with the start moved from sept to oct. then held until Jan. then the start up date was changed by another week. Then they moved us to wed night and hardly ever promoted the show. I feel that they wanted the show to fail and took great pains to do so. I don't think they realized how upset and how irate about this matter we are and we are not going to let the hate die down anytime in the future. I have no plans on watching any new shows. I refuse to start liking a show it have it ripped away from me. I hope that NBC falls so far in the ratings that even the basement will seem like a step up Bring us a proper closer with Crossing Jordan or continue to face the wrath of the fans
You can't really be surprised. The 'powers that be' upstairs, rarely consider the opinions and feelings of the viewing public. It's about ratings and money, enough money. Shows like Crossing Jordan may have a following, i am a big fan, but it needs to be biger apparently.

I did, read that the actors filed two finales, one for the end of the season, another if it ended up out to be the series finale. Obviously, seeing as the show has been cancelled, the latter will be shown. I'm in Australia. I was loking online to see how far we are behind and what has happened in newer eps. I didn't expect to read that it has been cancelled, i think we are more easygoing down here. You don't cancel a popular and lasting show. You especially don't cancel a good show, when other reknewsed shows are gutter-like reality shows, that are carbon copies of each other. Now! That is a silly waste of a time slot.

As long as they end the series appropriately, then, i can't say any more. There is nothing worse when the writers stuff it up and leave viewers with unanswered questions.

Sincerely,

Disappointed in Oz.
This sucks! Studio 60 is my favorite show. At least they're showing the remaining 6 episodes on Thursdays at 10:00pm though. =)

I also watched enough Crossing Jordan and Black Donnellys to tell that neither one of them was very good.
Real bonehead moves by all the networks. CBS is cancelling Jericho too. Not sure what they're all smoking.
do you think there's a chance crossing jordan will be pickup by another network?nbc made no sense with that move
Really, really disappointed about The Black Donnellys. Great show, great cast, great stories. It didn't get much PR, and it was cut before given a chance. By the way, all of you who want to watch the remaining episodes, NBC.com is showing them. You'll become addicted, I promise. Maybe FOX will get smart and pick it up....
The NBC executives must be retarded or something. I loved crossing jordan and cant believe that they would pull it from the line up. Even though I never seen black donnellys, my brother said it was pretty good. I hate reality tv! NBC is really gonna regret this decision when their ratings completely tank. They should ask their viewers what they want to watch instead of some stiff behind a desk.
Studio 60 Canceled? I give up. There is nothing left on TV worth watching. American Idol Stinks Big Time. Dancing with the stars? Oh please. I will not watch the lowest common entertainment. Studio 60 was TV's last chance. I'm done. Any one want to buy a HDTivo? Television is in a downward spiral and I won't follow it into the bowl. I work in the business but I won't support it any more. I'm done done done!
I'm sad to see Crossing Jordan go, it was one of my favorite shows
Crossing Jordan is the only show of the 3 that is shown in Australia, oh well at least sometimes we get the rubbish weeded out before it gets here
Wish they kept Crossing Jordan and dropped Friday Night Lights, CI will get lots of viewers to USA along with MONK and Psych
Actually, I take back my other post. These shows are canceled- which sucks because I love Studio 60.

NBC has announced their official line up for next season already. Check it:

I'm pretty sure that once they pulled The Black Donnellys for The Real Wedding Crashers its fate was sealed. I don't see how NBC announcing it being canceled this week would be a big deal since everyone pretty much already knew that... right?

Studio 60 is set to return this summer. I'd expect NBC to at least wait until after those episodes air to see ratings and what not before making a decision.

And didn't NBC just move Crossing Jordan from Sunday to Wednesday? Not that I'm a fan of the show or anything, but it seems odd they'd move it and then cancel it.

All I'm saying is, don't believe the hype of the New York Times and tv.com. The only truly reliable television web site is The Futon Critic!
I think all networks have got to figure out how to give series a smooth season without weeks between episodes. Fox shows 2 or 3 episode of the new season then off to baseball for 2 months. January to March is awards show season. Thanksgiving to January is Holiday specials.
in the words of a show on NBC's sister network, Frak them. It's so typical though that a good show like Crossing Jordan would get cancelled while crap like Las Vegas and their game/reality shows would stay on. That's probably why I watch three times as many shows on CBS than I do on NBC.
noooo, Studio 60 :(
The Black Donellys showed some real potential and I'm sad to see it go. Crossing Jordan was on a real upswing and is one of my favorites. It's really too bad it was so under appreciated by NBC. It seems NBC would rather air mindless reality shows that really cool dramas.
Thank God Studio 60 is DEAD. I can't say I'm surprised about Crossing Jordan, but it is one of the most uneven shows on TV, despite the strong cast. I can't believe the Black Donnellys is being cancelled this is probably the best drama NBC has put on since the premier of Law & Order

And by the way Friday Night Lights was a medecore movie and a RANCID TV show.
I am sorry to see Crossing Jordan go. I have always liked the show and I think that it is leaving us too soon.
Aww The Black Donnellys and Studio 60 are such good shows; it's a shame.
If it's true i will be sad to see Jordan go, good show good actors, i thought there was still another season at least in it.
I really liked The Black Donnellys. Just like Drive, anything thats a little off the wall gets cancelled. I like different with excitement. It is very hard as to which networks to trust anymore.
The Donnellys future was determined the day the pilot was OK-ed. There was no audience for it and NBC should have realized that in the beginning,

Cancelling Crossing Jordan was a foregone conclusion. The Jordan-Woody romance has been a roller coaster romance has gone on to long.People want to see a resolution or at least a valid reason behind Jordan's actions. Lately I have been watching repeats of the show on cable I have come to the conclusion that Woody is to good a person for Jordan (Jordan is a self absorbed tease with an overly inflated opinion of her abilities.)

Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip was destined for cancellation when Sorkin spent more and more time on the casts love interest than on the production of a live comedy show. Sport Night failed for the same reason, while West Wing susceeded because the romantic involvements between the cast was kept to a minimum. Sorkin had a great idea, but couldn't keep himself from changing the focus of the show (producing a live show) into making it a love story. The Matt Perry-Sarah Paulson relationship was at the same point in episode 18 as it was in episode 1. 18 episodes of them fighting with each other while trying not to admit that they really cared about each other. This really bogged down the show. The Witford-Peet relationship had potential, but the episodes after the Christmas break, when we found out Peet was expecting, were all about Witford trying to get Peet to go out on a date with him; and how much can a pregnant woman eat. Finally there was no visible on camera chemisty between Perry and Paulson or Witford and Peet. The audience remembered the Perry-Cox relationship in Friends and Witford-Moloney in West Wing. Without a spark the audience didn't care about a show where 50% of the plot revolved around their romantic relationhip. In West Wing it took Whitford 7 years before he asked Donna, Janel Moloney, out on a date. The sad part of all of this is that the shows cancled were potentally better than the renewed Friday Night Lights, Medium, and Scrubs, but these shows managed to stay on because they captured and held onto their specific audience and stayed focused on what that audience wants.
Don't feel too bothered by the choices for the chop. When last season was about to kick off all I heard about was Studio 60 and how it was going to be HUGE. And then it just flops. I was really surprised NBC didn't can this earlier, but obviously someone in that organisation had some loyalty to Aaron Sorkin and the Studio 60 gang.

Just happy FNL was picked up. A surprisingly good show that really blew me away by having a decent set up and some outstanding acting. I actually find the show electric to watch.
NBC is getting as bad as fox with cutting new shows before they are givin a chance........i know that jordan has had a great run but theres still potential there with bug and lily....Studio 60 never got the chance that it deserved.....they took it off for a show that they are goin to cancel now...thats a shame...i can tell you i wont b watching any new shows that come from NBC next season...it would prob b cancelled anyway
no big loss
Out with the old, in with the new. NBC gave all three shows chances to shine after their hit shows, but none of them were able to make the cut.
Crossing Jordan had a good run, all good shows must come to an end. Saw one episode of Studio 60 and couldn't take it anymore, I won't miss it.
That just ruins my Wed nights because Crossing Jordan is one of my favorite shows to watch. I am really disgusted that they cancelled it. I am going to buy every season on DVD.
motherf****rs! NBC shouldnt be up and runnung!

and you know why! nbc have a few good shows but they could of aired on a different channel! Hell to NBC!
Load More Comments