Once Upon a Time: A Tip of the Hat

Once Upon a Time S01E17: "Hat Trick"

How did you all like last night's episode of family show Once Upon a Time? It was a real all-ages crowd-pleaser, if you ask me. Get the kiddies together, warm up the hot chocolate, its time for—

STOP SCREAMING! STOP SCREAMING! It's just computer effects, okay!? You kids play video games. Just because a disembodied head is looking down on its own body, that's—HEY! Stop crying!!

There's something about dark, over-the-top violence appearing in the guise of children's entertainment that has real staying power. I am basing this on a childhood viewing of Return to Oz (anyone else remember the scene where Dorothy wakes up THE HEADS?) in which I apparently had to be dragged out of a theater in a fit of terrorized hysterics. Now that I'm older, I LOVE Return to Oz. And I LOVED last night's episode of Once Upon a Time, because it was dark, because it was bizarre, because without showing any gore (except for that crimson stripe down at the bottom of the Mad Hatter's head) it managed to give me a thrill I'd previously have filed away for viewings of, say, Silence of the Lambs. And more importantly, because from scene to scene I did not know what was going to happen at all. It was a mad romp through Wonderland, and more legitimate information came out in a single expository speech between "Jefferson" and Emma than we've heard this entire season.

We knew from promos that Emma was going to end up in the clutches of an unbalanced steampunk, but it was pretty hilarious how proactive Emma was about getting herself in trouble. I fully expected him to blackjack her as she walked to her car outside the Sheriff station, or for her to follow a trail of clues to his house, or for him to slip something into her drink at Granny's and steer her to his Fairy Tale Character Torture Chamber.

NOPE.

It went more like this:

To be fair, Sebastian Stan is super dreamy. Even his gothy scarf and ankle-length trench did but ill conceal his dreaminess. But even the most rudimentary awareness of stranger danger keeps ladies Emma's age from offering rides to nice young men at night, and for a bounty hunter who has presumably seen the worst in people, well, as dumb as Emma is, I expected her to be a little more savvy.

It took an actual threat to her life for her jail-mama instincts to surface. Breaking that teacup and using the shards to free herself is the single most ingenious thing we've ever seen Emma do. I will no longer have any patience with a character tied up in a room if there's glass nearby, Emma just raised the bar. In fact, once she got into Jefferson's mod-style mansion she made a string of good choices and was able to freaking MAKE A HAT from a pile of crushed velvet.

It makes me wonder if the paint in the Sheriff's office is heavily laced with lead or if Regina is piping in carbon dioxide to keep Emma's clearly keen intellect right about level with that of a golden retriever. She also might pipe a fine mist of "wash and curl" into the Sheriff's office, because did you notice how straight Emma's hair was this episode? Although when she eventually MacGyvered her way out of her restraints and saw the Mad Hatter, a hope flickered in my chest that he was sharpening those shears to cut her hair.

Of course clearly we were supposed to believe he was getting those shears ready to cut Emma into little tiny pieces. Especially once she found Mary Margaret, it was clear the show wanted us to think: This guy is a nutcase, he gonna KILL THEM, he possibly dragged Kathryn from the roadside on orders from Regina, and now is going to try to disembowel MM and Emma. That was the subtext going on, and part of the reason the episode was so dark was that while it was painting this guy as a psycho killer in the Storybrooke world, the fairy-tale version of him was the nicest, youngest father I've ever seen.

As a single, emo-haired dad so strapped for cash he has to make his daughter's capes out of old couch, Jefferson in the fairy-tale world was easy prey for Regina. It was not lost on me that it was the tempting white rabbit toy that ultimately lead Jefferson to take the Queen down the hat-hole to Wonderland. (How crazy was that hat spinning into a whirl-hole? This show!!!) And the fact he had access to another reality and his explanation of all these realities that touch up against one another, that was loose but exciting, because they usually don't give us that much insight into the world's logic. And despite having a good hearty laugh about him and Regina essentially jumping into a giant hat, I absolutely loved the foyer full of doors, even if the mirror they chose ultimately lead to a giant screensaver from 1997.

The whole interlude with them in Wonderland was pretty exciting. I had no idea where things were going, but Regina was able to keep her magic and burn the eff out of the hedges. Burning your way through a hedge maze is my new favorite way to get through a hedge maze. It was a deeply satisfying moment, especially considering the walls of the maze were in one moment threatening, in another moment helpful.

It was revealed that Regina was stealing her dad back from the Red Queen, who had miniaturized him and kept him in her own little P.O. box in the labyrinth of hedges. I assume he was miniaturized, because all Regina had to do to get him back to normal size was feed him a chunk of magic mushroom.

It was both fascinating that Regina was going to such lengths to rescue her father, when we knew from past episodes that she was going to throw him away like an old corn husk and use his heart to cast THE CURSE on Storybrooke. Much more dark and Return to Oz was this shizzit:

The Queen talking only through a tube and keeping her face covered was genuinely eerie and wonderful and like something out of The Cell. I don't know if they're just waiting to reveal what character she is in Storybrooke or if they wanted to cast a guest star and then Dana Delaney was sick that day. The whole beheading scene was made more nightmarish because it was happening within the glowing screensaver world and attended by people dressed up like the cast of a high school performance of Alice in Wonderland, and yeah, okay, I loved it. Loved it for the same reason I watch 10th Kingdom once every two years: the wild swings of the tone make the light stuff lighter and the dark stuff that much darker, and the complete defiance of genre opens up the story in vulnerable, profound ways. So TIP OF THE HAT, Once Upon a Time.

The weird nightmarish world of the fairy tale was undermined by the reveal in Storybrooke that Jefferson had no intention of killing Emma. In fact, Jefferson turned out to be the character we were hoping August would be: the one who shed light on the bone structure of the show. We weekly put our brains in the power of this world and invest in its characters without fully knowing what the hell is going on. Jefferson's speech to Emma about how the curse is real and the nature of the realities and telling her she has the magic MAKE THE HAT WORK—as absolutely silly as it was for him to demand that she make a hat (and even sillier that somehow she DID), it was crucial ground for the series to cover. Like, if OUaT were a video game, this episode unlocked a new level.

Although as many questions were raised by the cursed Jefferson as he answered, because for as often as the curse is mentioned, it's never been described by someone who's lived through it. Okay, so they've all been trapped in time for the last 28 years, his daughter is the same age as when he vanished into Wonderland, she's being raised by another family, his curse is that he remembers their former life together, got it. So Grace is Henry's age but has not aged in 28 years. Henry HAS aged, though, being of this mortal realm. Regina didn't adopt him at the age of eight, in the pilot she gave us the whole speech about changing every diaper. Does Henry notice he's the only kid who's aged in his town? Wouldn't that be the first thing he mentions to Emma, or does saying everyone is "frozen in time" cover that? The logic of the curse has always been heavily veiled so we are unable to question it, it's just a nice story spackle. "Why is he being so mean?" "The curse." "This and this?" "The curse, dumbass."

Continuing her uncharacteristically awesome chain of great ideas, Emma at first appeased the Mad Hatter and delighted the audience by confessing she hopes MM is her mom, and will try to believe in the curse and magic, and then cracked Jefferson upside the head with the telescope. Every time Jennifer Morrison talks about hoping Ginnifer Goodwin is her mom, yes, I kind of lose it emotionally. When she offered MM the choice to take her car and stay on the lam, she called her family. The idea that she has embraced this enough to say it out loud and yet obviously is still rejecting it is fantastic, solid development. Also, MM karate-chopped him out a window. Whoa.

The fact that he vanished means A) one less body for MM to explain and B) Emma now has undeniable evidence of her own magic, as do we. This is a lot of ground to break, Once Upon a Time, and the writers managed to embed it all in a story that was sinister and thrilling and unpredictable.

Next week is a major episode, we finally learn why Regina hates Snow so much, which is kind of the foundation of the show. Also Mr. Gold said MM was guilty of murder. Of course, he may have been referring to something that happened in Fairy Land. If this week's episode is any indication, it's going to be a stunning reveal and an episode not to be missed. After weeks of extending the "frozen in time/stuck in a miserable rut" curse from its characters to its viewers, "Hat Trick" was a tip of the hat to US: "We aren't totally pulling this all out of our ass, thank you for trusting us, here is our world-logic, keep watching." All that in maybe the single most entertaining episode of TV I've seen all year.

QUESTIONS:

– Will that map of Storybrooke that Jefferson drew come back into play?

– What was dreamier, slicked-back James Dean Sebastian Stan or hair-in-eyes emo Sebastian Stan?

– He fell into Emma's magic hat, right?

– So Mr. Gold is still on Regina's side? Will a reveal of Belle maybe influence him to turn against her or... ?

– Seriously, how does aging work for Henry?

– Last chance to place your bets: What went down between Regina and Snow?

– What did you think of last night's episode?

For Lily and all the other Oncers who are in love with the idea that Josh and Ginny are desperately in love with each other, check this out from about minute 6:30 to 6:40 and tell me it isn't OOOOBVIOUS (*swoon*): http://youtu.be/RNaXBmsH_cY
Saw an article this morning that confirmed Gennifer and Josh are dating!
Someone is going to have to peel Lily off the ceiling!!

The actress, 33, has been secretly dating her Once Upon a Time costar Josh Dallas, 30, since last fall, multiple insiders confirm in the new issue of Us Weekly

Read more: http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/ginnifer-goodwin-is-dating-costar-josh-dallas-2012293#ixzz1qdLuyJNB
Loved the episode! But- did you mean "emo" or "emu" for Stan's hair? The fact that Regina as gypsy taunted Jefferson into leaving Grace ("she deserves pretty things"), and then threw it back in his face when she left him in Wonderland- total mind game!

Do you think Dad-in-the-box could have travelled through the door as-is, if Regina hadn't let him out? I think so. And I'm guessing there's a reason Regina wanted him out of FTL- maybe Jefferson is her lost love? Which could make Grace Regina's daughter. But then why give her to another family to raise, even if it does torture Jefferson?

Emma's saying she believed, even for a minute or two, had me cheering! I hope that her thinking of MM as family, even if not Mom, is a great start for breaking the curse.

My theory is that the sheriff's badge may emit some kind of radiation which interferes with brain functioning. Or maybe somebody's putting "stupid potion" in her coffee (and David's)?

Archie was walking a dalmation in the first episode, so I'm guessing Cruella Deville is lurking about somewhere. Also in the first episode we see a stuffed tiger (Raja? although the Aladdin storyline is already there in the Genie/Mirror), and a giraffe statue which I'm guessing is Jungle Book related because The Lion King would be too much for me to handle. We know animals can be affected by the curse because of the wolf. It could get very weird in SB.
Edward Kitsis & Adam Horowitz pretty much have eliminated August being grown Henry in the Paley Center interview. They also stated that SOMEONE was right about the cure. Of course SOMEONE was not identified.

So, my NEWEST guess is finding out Rumpy's REAL name.
True names have power in many of the old stories. I'd thought "Rumplestiltskin" was a derogatory nickname, bestowed on the man who ran away from the battle- perhaps because of his limp? My German was never that good. So his true name would be a MAJOR key.

On a side note- what is Charming's real name? James is the ded brother.
Surely August is Pinocchio. I'm thinking that as a puppet / doll he was made of wood from the same type of enchanted tree that saved Emma, and when he turned into a real boy that magic stayed with him.
At this point I'm sitting in front of the screen YELLING for Emma to "READ THE DAMN BOOK!!!!!!!!!"

I don't care whether she reads it, so long as I can!
Reminds me more of LOST every week... New characters every week, equal parts flashback/present tense storytelling, unexplainable mysteries piling up.... I'm guessing next week they'll give a big reveal to carry interest into the next season, while also adding a new mystery.
Well, since there is magic in Storybrooke (stabbing a heart == dead sheriff) then they can say whatever they want. A glamour changes old yearbook pictures to show random made-up people, OR it keeps them from remembering / accepting the truth, OR (etc).

I want Emmato ask Red what she was doing when the Berlin Wall came down. She might be programmed to say "I was a baby" and not remember, or say "Banging the guy against the wall across the street" and not understand / accept the logic of "then how do you look like THIS in 2012?"
As for what happened between the two, I'd say something involving her mother. Along the lines of:

- Responsible for Regina's mother leaving or disowning her

- Responsible for Regina's mother's death

Probably through adolescent innocence / stupidness, or being honest and revealing something that Regina did to her poor mother.
Am I the only one thinking that the Queen of Hearts is in fact Snow White? The reason why she asked Mad Hatter how he got to Wonderland is because she wanted to get away. And maybe she managed to do it and lost her memory in progress... It would be a good explanation to why they covered her face and made her voice hard to recognize. OR maybe she's Snow White's mother?
One of the earlier commenters brought up the brilliant idea that the Queen of Hearts is the nurse from the hospital basement where Belle is being kept. Regina brought the nurse a red rose. And it would line up in that the Queen of Hearts kept people locked away in "cells" as does the nurse.
That is a good call.
I had a similar thought: perhaps Snow or at least someone tied to Snow like her mother. There are many reasons to cover a face though.

My guess, is if it isn't someone we know by now... we WILL see them eventually. Like a character in Storybrooke, with a reveal afterwards that they are the Red Queen.
I loved this episode!

- Definitely

- Slicked-back. Not one for emo ;)

- YES HE DID

- I didn't see that reveal coming, whereas that of Sidney was too obvious, so well done

- I think the fact that he does age has made him realise the Storybrook thing in the first place? Henry must have gotten it from somewhere. I read fairytales all my life, but I didn't start believing my mother was the Evil Queen.

- I so have no idea! But seeing as Regina teared up when saying you shouldn't leave your child ever, it's either her own kid or her mother. Her kid would be more powerful, and it would explain why Regina so desperately tries to raise other people's kids both in the fairytale world and Storybrook.

- I absolutely LOVED this episode. Wonderland was baaaaad CGI, but I liked it nonetheless. It fitted somehow.
If Regina did leave her kid, where and why? THAT could be season 2 all by itself!
I think Mr. Gold is playing everybody, hehe. I just hope Emma doesn't go back to being totally unbelieving and stupid... Maybe she gets smarter when her hair isn't all wavy and shiny? Maybe that's a curse, too? ;)
Maybe the "stupid potion" is in her shampoo? And she finally ran out?
-the map will undoubtedly come back into play! It has too! One thing I do love about this show is how even the minutest of details is pivotal to the series. There are very little accidents when it comes to props etc.

-Mmm I have to say he looked super hot with the short hair getting all super close to Emma. I can't even pretend that his sexiness would actually cause me to lose the common sense God gave me, but I'd struggle with it if I seen him on the side of the road. What was with the guy and personal space...he was practically two sniffs away from touching noses with Emma in Stonybrooke world when he talked and with Regina in FairyTale land.

-Must have been...at least he didn't get lost in her hair...which was wonderfully tame this episode. They finally tamed the mane and Emma Swan got temporarily possessed by Dr.Cameron.

-Mr.Gold is on whatever side suits him at the time. I love his character because he's so murky. I don't think he actually chooses sides...he serves himself and whoever gets him further in his personal mission is who he's helping at the time.

-the Hot Chocolate. gotta be!

-Some deeply rooted insecurity more than likely planted in her pretty little raven head as a child by her mother, only to manifest itself into pure disdain later on.

- I thought the episode was spectacular! Everything was great from the lightening and props that set the overall mood (in Stonybrooke world that is) to the interactions. I loved how dark the episode was. I adored how creepy and yet endearing Jefferson was. I love how there was forward movement. The relationship between MM and Emma being stronger than ever. The fact that Emma is finally starting to take steps towards believing in the curse. The continued ambiguity of Rumple. I loved that we have another character who actually is in the know about this curse and about his alter life...because he's the first character that's a victim of it and in the know, and still alive. Graham was soon made aware but is now dead. Regina and Gold don't count because of their responsiblility in the matter, and David's flashes weren't enough to convince him of his past life(unfortunately). Henry isn't a fairytale character, Emma was just a baby and the skeptic, and August is an unknown.
Finally, FINALLY Emma is starting to believe. I'm sorry but it was really starting to annoy the crap out of me that she just wouldn't admit there was anything funky going on. Okay, yes, I know from her point of view (not seeing the flash backs or the extra tidbits we do) it makes sense that she wouldn't have copped to the fairytale story part before this but it was so aggravating everytime she denied it. Which probably means that the writers are genius's really.

And, once again, what happened to Emma's superpower of detecting lies? Mr Gold and The Mirror guy have both lied to her face in recent memory and she's all 'sure thing, I believe you'.

BTW, loving seeing a bit of Snow coming out in Mary-Margaret. I'd like to see more of Snow's cheeky, brash and kick-ass behaviour in Mary-Margaret. Perhaps that's what this persecution will do, make MM realise that she is a hell of a lot stronger then she thinks and that she needs to start fighting back and stop dressing like a grandma.
I remember Sidney lied about not working for Regina anymore. He also said he wanted to get back at Regina. Straight lies that Emma should have seen through. Also, you're right about Mr. Gold lying to Emma also. I think the writers have forgotten about her 'superpower'.
I don't think they have. I rewatched all the episodes up to this one and I was watching for any time she was actually lied to and didn't catch it, and the only time I saw that it happened was this episode with the twisted ankle. But let's suppose that they are. Perhaps she's saying it hen she's activating it. It's not like Superman goes around all day looking at everybody's ligaments.
Graham also lied to her face. Regina, Gold and Sidney do it all the time too. And Mary Margaret did it in the last episode when Emma asked for her trust and Mary Margaret said she would trust her. Then ran away.
There's lying and then there's being dishonest. I could be working behind your back causing you to fail, but I could be honest during all of our conversations.

Obviously Regina is pulling the wool over her eyes, but a lot of things people are rolling their eyes at are when Emma doesn't realize that the Queen is playing her in a scene... yet the Queen often didn't specifically lie.
I know you all keep saying that, but it didn't happen. Cite one example. The one you cited would not count.

Emma: "now I need you to have faith in me. Can you do that?"

Mary Margaret: "Of course."

Old proverb: "Have faith, but row for shore."

Just because she has faith that Emma will get her off doesn't mean she shouldn't help herself when given the chance. Just means she doesn't enjoy being in jail.
Just curious, but why is this author writing in the same format as Price Peterson does for the Vampire Diaries and The Secret Circle? Frankly it's better when he does it.
Because, secretly, they BOTH live in storybrooke....and there is only ONE typewriter!!
Chas FTW!!!!

Seriously the best post EVER! I want to have your babies...though chances are we are both women and I actually don't want to have babies (and I like boys, but not that there is anything wrong with other relationships....thank you Seinfeld) -said statement was only stated in LOL induced euphoria....so..... awkward cough...still awesome post!

Chas FTW!!!!
BTW, if you pull the string on your See & Say and it says "The BEAR says Moooooooooo!" Return it immediately!!
LMAO!! TY but uuhhhhh, no TY!!! I have 2 fully grown children that I adore more each day(that they are out of the house!!).

I don't understand the reasoning behind trying to bash a writer who clearly has wit & intelligence enough to evoke banter such as this each and every episode. I'd LOVE IT if Price & Lily got together and wrote reviews under EACH OTHER'S name just to see the blind responses!!
Mum, is that you? You do know you have more then 2 adult children though, right? Oh wait is this about the inheritances?? I CALL DIBS ON THE PROPERTIES & YOUR WEDDING RING!!

Seriously though, I might have to check mum's browser history next chance I get (which now frames my post in a very odd Freudian way).

Either which way, Chas (mum??) your brilliant and I'm not just saying that to get on the Will :D
If Jefferson was trapped in another world, why is he involved in the curse? In theory, he should be safe.. unless Regina trapped every world.... but if so, where did he go in the hat?...

btw, he was so so so so so hot
I think that Jefferson was stuck in Wonderland for quite a while- What if Regina put Grace in the box until Jefferson reappeared? (Why waste a perfectly good bargaining chip just because J isn't around to torture?)

If true, the 2nd question is answered- he came back to FTL, found everyone gone, and came to Storybrooke. Regina wouldn't give him his daughter back, so he's stuck here until the curse is broken if he wants to reclaim his daughter.
Also how is his daughter the same age if he had made THAT MANY hats in Wonderland?
2 points- it has been 28 years! and we don't know the time slip between when Jefferson got out of Wonderland to when he arrived in Storybrooke. Henry the Dad was much younger in this ep than when he's axed...
Just watched the scene again in slow mo, there weren't that many hats. Like 95% of what you see are actually piles and piles of materials of varying patterns, with maybe a hat on top of a pile here and there.

Considering how fast Emma (a newbie) made one, and how frantic he was working, I could see him pumping out many hats a day.
I figured with Jefferson, we just hadn't seen that part of the story yet. This ep showed how he became the mad hatter but perhaps in another one we will see Alice fall from the fairytale world into the wonderland world and Jefferson will follow her back out. Possibly just in time to be cursed.
I really enjoyed the episode. I finally got a taste of a forward moving plot line, granted its near the end of the season but i loved it! I love henry, the look on his face when emma asked to borrow the book, he really sold his enthusiasm, great actor.

I've noticed the reviews of the show are getting a bit lighter on the direct digs and a bit heavier on hopeful enthusiasm, i like it. I love breaking the show down and asking questions and trying to figure it out. Its so much better than just tearing it down.

Gratis!
Sometimes the episodes were crappy and (just my opinion) deserved the digs and complaints. This was the first episode that I actually liked in a long time.
yes - i noticed that too... he really did look amazed and a bit releived - maybe henry's not all bad huh?
Ralph Hemecker/producer. Well, guess there's a reason the screen backgrounds look like there are from 1997!! (His last job was showrunner for Witchblade)

The fairytale side of this episode felt choppy at best, incomplete(time crunch?) would be more accurate. The usual flow of transition was missing(IMO).

Vladimir Cvetko & David H. Goodman/writers. someone here already said it best. Announcer "Where only 1 well...or 2, uhhh maybe 3 know the truth..."

Who put the head back on the Hatter?? Great sewing job. Should have asked whoever that was to make the new hat!!

The Mad Hatter goes out the window thanks M.M. "Lee", star of 862 Kung Fu movies!!

And disappears. So the inference is that A)Emma's got magic(wouldn't you have to BELIEVE in magic to create some??) and the hat worked? B)He got up and ran away? No visible sign of impact? C) His agent called and he's got a call-back!!

Emma wakes up, tied up on the couch and tea cups her way out of the binding. She then sneaks into the room where MM is tied up and thinks....."Hmmmm look around for a weapon?? Nah, look out the window for a way out, or see where we are?? Nahhhh, let's go BACK into the hall where the guy was just sharpening the scirrors and see if I can book a trim!!

Meanwhile over in "I wonder whyland" Regina, dressed in what I can only describe as "Man, those 2 guns wanted outta the holster" , decides to trade Dad for Hatter. OK, so the guy that created the way through ISN'T required for the return trip??

The budget MUST be bumping the ceiling for OUaT to use a "SAG Hag" for the queen, hidden behind the veil in case they do get renewed.

Roger Daltry! Ugh, how the mighty have fallen!!

Henry gets to say hi to a girl he's seen for the past ohhh 4 yrs(his time) and doesn't fill in Emma, or question why she hasn't changed in those years?? Emma's reaction?? Let's go to the playbook!! Good idead Emma!!

R.T.F.M. !!! Maybe, just maybe sneak a peek at the NEW pages that replace the ones you burned??? (Now Lily, as someone who already told us you like to read the ending, YOU should have been the FIRST person to suggest this!! LOL)

I'm getting a little lactose intolerant. Too much cheese for me Swiss, with that many holes!!

Here's hoping Edward Kitsis & Adam Horowitz and Dean White returning next week can add some MEAT to this cheese platter!!
I loved the crap out of this episode, it and Ruby/Red's are probably the best IMO.

I'll take Sebastian Stan as the Mad Hatter over Johnny Depp anyday

I hadn't thought of him falling into her magic hat, but that makes sense, I just though that maybe the back yard of his house was end of the boundary and he got disappeared like Kathryn
I wonder why Emma doesn't realize/question why everyone she thinks is crazy i.e., Henry, Jefferson and I guess, August, are all referencing the same things. How is it possible that several people believe that they are cursed fairy tale characters? I know it would sound crazy but it's easy to test at least one of these theories, e.g., actually try driving someone out of town. At least it looks like she's finally coming around a bit... this episode was one of my faves.
loved it was wow
This was another awesome episode, and I loved every aspect of it!
if emma knows when somebody is lying, doesn't she know when somebody is telling the truth?...i gues not!
Henry also tried to make that point to her earlier in the season (perhaps first episode). Her response was something like, "Just because you believe something doesn't make it the truth." She thought Jefferson truly believed in his fairytale life, but that he was just crazy. Same word she used to characterize Henry's belief in the book.
yeah, but what about the limp??

You had me thinking about this half the morning, but I think, as OuAT said, that it may only be a verbal skill.
Ah, good point. Maybe her power only works when she is directly questioning someone or when her spidey senses tell her it would be in their best interest to lie to her.
Really funny lines and good questions, Lily. I enjoyed the episode much more than I expected, in spite of the 1980s style CGI. I guess I still struggle with what folks consider a "filler" episode and which episodes the think advance the story. I would have thought you were going to criticize the episode because, at the end, nothing really happened (other than Emma finally got her hair straightened). MM is still in jail (small reveal about Mr. Gold working for Regina, but was anyone surprised) and Emma still a disbeliever (I did get fooled momentarily by her soliloquy with the Mad Hatter).

I'm still laughing over "Dribing Hard." Good one.

My favorite episode of the series. For once I walked away feeling simultaneously sated and ravenous for more. (Not that I needed my addiction rekindled, but at least it felt validated.) This is the kind of movement the story needs, and as the story is allowed to move, the characters are allowed to expand. With one tiny step forward in the plot, Emma went from low-functioning-wad-o-hair to taking the first steps into her role as crux. In a way, she had to be written stupidly in the beginning - thinking about taking a DNA test or any other completely obvious option for (dis)proving the curse wouldn't have allowed for the tension needed to flesh out the MM/David part of the story. They drug it out about 4 episodes too long, but I think we're starting to see the wheels turn again. YAY!
You would think I would learn not to drink anything while reading your reviews...I nearly snorted-laughed coffee all over my laptop (Just kill people sometimes, was the culprit this week).

Ok, so I highly recommend watching the panel discussion on hulu with the cast and crew, you learn that Josh Dallas broke a Bieber Curse, they talk about Henry's aging and The Curse and the best part was how Robert came up with Rump!

Oh and was the Queen's Voice (OUaT version of the King's Hand, I guess) played by the actor that was the doctor on Stargate Atlantis, I only watched the first two seasons and it was a while ago, but he seemed familiar.
Yes, I think it was the same actor.
I don't like her (Emma's) straight her. LOL. I kept looking at it the whole time.

But finally, the "seed of doubt" is in Emma's head. Maybe she'll finally believe Henry.
A little clarity for those questioning youth and parenting.

When most of the fairytales were written(1800s), life expectancy was roughly 40-45 yrs. So marriage/parenting happened at a much younger age than today.

Most marriages were arranged to improve. Improve position, status or family ties. Age was NOT a major factor in decision-making.

Serfs were a way of feudal life. Increasing your dependents back then could get your whole family thrown off the land you were farming, so a new-born(too many, birth-defect, wrong sex) could end up being brought out to the woods and dumped. (hence the Hansel&Gretel, Little Red Riding Hood, and others)

Decided to wait for Lily's nod before watching, so....... ON WITH THE SHOW!!
Sorry, but this is a little misguided. Marriages (especially among rich families) were often arranged at a young age, but the actual marriage didn't take place until they were in their mid-twenties, generally.

1566-1619 27.0 years

1647-1719 29.6 years

1719-1779 26.8 years

1770-1837 25.1 years

Also, since life expectancy is calculated by averaging out ages of death, it means that a high infant mortality rate, lowers the life expectancy rate, but doesn't mean that the given age is when the average person died. Serfs were not common in the 1800s (although the stories are much older than the written versions, so they were probably around when they were first told). Not trying to be bitchy here, just clarifying your clarity. Either way, love the show!
". Serfs were not common in the 1800s " The Aristocracy actual continued throughout Europe for a good portion of the 1800s

Decembrist revolt 1825

"Age was NOT a major factor in decision-making." Again, I QUALIFIED this statement for a reason. It was NOT my point, to debate stats or argue dates. Only to show the difference in mindset, and how these fairytales originated.

the median age at first marriage has never been higher for brides (26.5 years) and grooms (28.7), according to a new Pew Research Center analysis of U.S. Census data

Chas

Hate to be the annoying poster.......but.......The whole life expectancy of 40-45 yrs has been disproved a long time ago. Once we take out the high infant/child mortality rate the life expectancy rate shoots way up.
Agreed. NOW we have actual stats. From the prospective of those living at the time with nearly a 75 % infant mortality, and the prevalence of diseases such as polio, smallpox, typhoid, yellow fever, whopping cough, dysentery, plague, TB and influenza, it was a different outlook.
There are also charming things like epidemics. Until the development of antibiotics, a bad flu season could wipe out an entire village.The Black Plague skews the stats severely!

Plus, my (limited) research indicates that the age of marriage varied widely- a 50-year old guy could marry a 14-year old girl and nobody thought anything of it. For a true period quote- Chaucer's wife of Bath was 12 when she married the first of her 5 husbands.
Another fun show, OUAT! Rather than simply disappearing, as if my life's philosophy is 'If you can't say something critical, don't say anything at all', I want to thank you for the quality of the recent episodes.

The writers probably know of (and may have even been counting on) the power of intermittent reinforcement. But here's a thought: Keep showing up to the party, and try to keep the better material coming. Fans don't leave a show just because it's consistently good. ('Oh, I don't really think I'll bother watching 'The West Wing' anymore. The shows are always well written, so there's no suspense.' )

The accolades that you'd receive for more consistent quality might even be worth a shortened run, (although it has always seemed to me that the original concept is so rich that you could create consistently solid episodes and still keep an evolving storyline going for several years to come).

Employment for everyone, and accolades, too. Just sayin'

Lily, speaking of consistency, awesome, LOL review as always.

I was pretty sure I was the sole owner of a dvd of The 10th Kingdom, I love it!
Nope. Me too.
LOVED the Jefferson (airplane) reference !!!!!! White Rabbit is an awesome song!
Great episode. Just a little to less of Rumpelstiltskin/Mr. Gold in it, but that's what I keep saying about almost every episode. I also don't think Mr. Gold is on Regina's side. Since he appears to be on pretty much everybody's side depending on the situation my bet is that EVERYTHING he does is following his own agenda which could turn out to be the real point about the story. There's more to Rumpelstiltskin then we have seen so far. And as we all know: He know's things.

In the original fairy tale I think the Evil Queen hated Snow White because the mirror told her that she was more beautiful then the queen. I don't see that happening here though. That also would seem a little trivial. So I am looking forward to that reveal.

About the hat maker I have my own questions:

- Why did he end up in Storybrook? Did the curse also affect Wonderland or did he manage to get back to the fairy tale world before the curse came into effect?

- Why does he remember? Henry's never been there, Regina remembers because she cast the spell, Rumpelstiltskin forged the spell so he probably protected himself against it in some way but why did the hat maker remember?
I think Regina let him remember on purpose, because that's his punishment, to remember he had a daughter who doesn't remember him.
Maybe he was there because he was apart of the actual fairytale world. Maybe he remembers because his mind was already broken.
apart from looking really nice, the story is a bit of a mess...never know they mite pull it together.
At least Emma was able to produce a hat, that's something.
This show is by far the best on tv. It even outclasses Fringe, and I'm quite the Fringe fan. I can't wait for next week's episode. I think we'll finally understand what this show is really about. On the other hand if the show is heading in the direction I think it is, we're gonna have one major cliffhanger for the season finale. Hope I'm wrong. I hate cliffhangers.
Look, it was all good fun, but am I the only one to believe that Alice in Wonderland should not be part of the OUaT fairy tale world? I mean, what's next? Can we expect to run into Willy Wonka, or Frodo Baggins, or Harry Potter for that matter? I think they should've sticked with claissc fairy tales like Little Red Riding Hood and Cinderella. I already had my doubts about Jiminy Cricket (altough I do like that character).

On a side-note: Where was Alice, the girl with the golden hair? Wait a minute...
The whole episode was about the fact that there are many different worlds, and they made it very clear that Wonderland was NOT part of the fairytale world.
One thing's for sure: this was no filler episode!

Loved the reason they gave for the Hatter going mad. Made total sense. Also, anyone else want to know more about his history with Regina?

I really hope the thing between Regina and Snow isn't just as simple as "You blabbed to your father and he had my true love, the stable boy, killed". That'd be so predictable.

All in all, a brilliant episode. This show is becoming seriously addictive.
When has this show been anything but predictable?
This was the first episode that left me wishing it was already next week!

Henry was born of Emma's loins, outside of Storybrooke, and brought in via adoption, so yes he would age when others would not and should have noticed, but I'm not sure why he wouldn't be able to better articulate this to Emma. This has me wondering though, why would Regina adopt from outside Storybrooke in the first place. And didn't Mr. Gold help facilitate and procure the baby (Henry)? So he went out and found the one thing that would draw Emma to Storybrooke to break the curse. Keeping that in mind, there's no way he's on Regina's side - unless it's to get something he wants (Belle? Setting up Regina to fail? More curios for his antique shop?). Anxious for next week!
he's not for or against the curse as he is good either way though the other world is more fun for him
OMG, such a good episode! Freakin' loved it! So trippy and unexpected. Gawd I love this show
Awesome episode. Hatter indeed managed to shed some light on what the heck is going on in Storybrook and with its dwellers.

Talking about the origin of beef between Queen and Snow, I'd wager it's something to do with Regina losing a kid. She gets so angry or whatever with Snow that she loses a child or something similar. Hence Regina's hatred for Snow and her eventual will to adopt Henry
oh he so totally did fall into the magic hat! that was uber cool! sad that he had to leave though... considering that his departure left story brook's grand total of hot men at ZERO! (Robert Carlyle is AWESOME, he's just not HOT!) :(
Also Mr.Gold works from Mr. Gold

& he hates the evil Queen for taking Belle from him.
Everyone BUT Henry, Mr Gold & Regina are frozen in time!

That's why it was such a big deal when the clock moved b/c time had stopped until that point.

No one has aged except for Henry b/c he was born after the curse
Actually, Gold and Regina are technically 'frozen' as well in that they do not age. They can remember time passing but they're the same as they were 28 years prior.
How can anyone imagine that "Mr. Gold" is on anyone's side but his own ?
Did I miss something? Where was Roger Daltrey? They said his name in the promo....
As soon as I heard, "Whooooo are youuuuuu?" I could tell that my search for Roger Daltrey in the episode was over. SO disappointing (NOT the episode - that rocked - just Daltrey's cameo).
He was the caterpillar...
...and I totally missed it, pretty bad for a "guest star".
Lilly,

About Henry.... you might want to consider that Henry's character is not like the rest of the characters in OUaT; for whatever reason he's the only one besides Emma, that can actually leave Storybrooke. So Henry should indeed be aging and is aware of it, unlike the rest of the characters living in Storybrooke.
I think when she said, "How does aging work for Henry?" she meant - how does this kid never think to say from the FIRST EPISODE when he enters Emma's apartment: "Hey I can prove it! Look at these class photos from when I was in 1st grade. Now go to the school and see all the same kids are still in the same class." It didn't occur to me until reading this review, but it is a huge hole. If his goal is to get Emma to believe in the curse, there are readily available ways to make that happen that don't rely on secret meetings at playgrounds and walkie-talkies. Surely there are photos of these people in old editions of The Daily Mirror. "Hey look, Emma! Here is Dr. Hopper at Miner's Day in 1994 - no big changes, eh?"
Great episode. Well the logical answer here is that he walked away from the fall somehow and the trippy answer would be that he fell into the hat that Emma made. Finally Emma is finally beginning to believe in what Henry been trying to say since episode one. It's about damn time.
Finally, Emma is starting to believe... or at least starting to wonder. I'm not sure if I could handle any more of the denial. With the season mostly gone, it's nice to see some progress. Loved Sebastian Stan in this ep. He was great as the Mad Hatter,and I loved how they gave that character an actual story. (Did he have a history in Wonderland? I can't remeber.) Hop to see him again.
Loved this episode! Hope this starts a trend in better eps from now own... I really enjoyed Sebastian Stan. And I agree, loved the warm and fuzzy emotional moments with Emma and MM, and would also like to see Emma and Jefferson together again.

Stan's portrayal of the Mad Hatter was one of the most compelling of the series so far, and his interactions with Emma made her seem so much more interesting. I think I would even say, after Lana Parilla's Regina, Sebastian Stan's Mad Hatter was one of the best pieces of acting we've seen on the show thus far. Don't hate me, Rumple-lovers, but I think I like him even better than Robert Carlyle.

Also, Lily, your captions in this review were hilarious! (Especially in the first half...) Thanks for the laugh. :-)
OMG! loved this episode so much...ok so maybe OUat is not like my ex who keeps feeding me bullshit about how hes going to change and never does...maybe this show is my prince charming. Anyways! ahem...I loved sebastian stan, maybe they'll write a love story with Alice? Why would he want to return to wonderland when his kid is here? What could he really change in wonderland? AH! so many questions. Maybe if Alice is still there she could change his perspective...and he's just too sexy to be alone. I mean him and emma had sooo much chemistry and they both didn't like each other but well he needs someone damnit!!! I <3 mad hatter which means i love sebastian stan. on a side note: Mr.Gold is totally bullshittin Regina, nope they are not on the same side. And aside from that okay they need to give emma a more visceral reason to believe that it is real than omg he had a line around his neck...he could have been insane enough to do that himself, and if she is smart she could think well he could have been the one to take the book and read it and be crazy too...I'm just saying when she finally comes to the conclusion it should be smart like she should do a dna test between her and snow white or sumtin but I guess that would kill the whole "believin in magic without seeing it?" I don't know I just don't want them to sacrafice emma's (like they already have in some cases) Intelligence for the good of the show. Hopefully its more her believing it on an act of faith or make it really intelligent (or both? and putting signs all together when she finally gathers that one piece of info that it true) but not for a non-viable conclusion and such. :)
amazing episode, it was really fun and I loved that finally Emma might be coming around, and love MM. Also loved the mad Hatter, (emo version) and the ending with him in a room of tons of hats saying make it work was great. Also loved wonderland. Loved the whole episode
I, too, think that the Mad Hatter fell into the hat and... went to Lidsville.

I don't know who was dreamy, but Regina was surely smoking hot in this episode. Why are evil female characters usually so much more interesting than the good ones?

I don't know what's the deal of Emma making a hat. hat-making is the first thing you learn in bounty hunter school. Or maybe the dialogue should go like this:

Jefferson - "This hat you made doesn't work. I thought you were magic."

Emma - "I am. I magically made a hat just like that. What else do you expect?"
I think it's the cleavage.
Load More Comments