Once Upon a Time Makeover Madness! Predicting the Characters' Season 2 Looks

In the Season 1 finale of Once Upon a Time, we saw a purple cloud swallow up Storybrooke just as the inhabitants remembered their pre-existing lives as fairies, princesses, and werewolves. Remembering their true pasts will be a big upgrade for some, but for others it will be a huge inconvenience. ("Oh right, I ate my boyfriend that one time." —Ruby) The individual battle for a cohesive personal identity will be fought alongside the larger war between good and evil that will be unleashed now Mr. Gold has returned magic powers to the frumpy denizens of this small Maine town, and one of the battlefields for both those struggles will be people's hair and clothes.

So join me while I use my very entry-level Photoshop skills to mock up some makeovers for our Storybrooke characters now that their memories—and their magic—has been restored.

FAIRIES

I CANNOT WAIT for the fairies'—the Blue Fairy and the Seriously Stupid Fairy—real personalities to start manifesting. As one of the more potent forces for good, if magic indeed comes back into Storybrooke the fairies will be large and in charge and looking very silly. I mean, let's be real: The fairies back in the fairy-tale world looked like strippers as styled by Lisa Frank, and while I'm not sure if having their memories suppressed will affect their monastic vows, I have no doubt they are going to be giving the nun dress code the old heave-ho and slathering themselves in body glitter and hair jewels and glitter tattoos and everything else a dizzy 14-year-old would pick up at a Wal-Mart a week before the Big Dance. Consistency, Kitsis and Horowitz! These ladies better have fake eyelashes and glow-in-the-dark nail polish in Season 2!

MR. GOLD

Now that he's got his lady, his magic, and his hair straightener back, it would seem that Mr. Gold has it all. Or will the return of magic come at the cost of Belle? Would Belle and Rumple's kiss of true love be the one thing that could break this new spell, which is based in true love? I hope not, but if that is the case, then can't Belle just kiss him everywhere BUT his mouth? I'm going to assume the purple cloud WON'T change Mr. Gold back into his former self, looking like a reptile who crawled through some body glitter, because then wouldn't the feds get involved? (Although hopefully some form of state news covers the purple cloud. China's Yangtze River going red did make international headlines.)

RUBY

I personally am looking forward to a Dexter-like arc where Ruby uses her werewolf transitioning, returned by Mr. Gold’s magic, to take out enemies of Snow’s family. And then, eventually, people who piss her off or smell tasty (do not wear vanilla body spray in Storybrooke). I see a lot of red plaids for her (they hide bloodstains well), a more nude makeup scheme (wolves look stupid in cat-eye liner), and blood all up in her mouth:

SNOW

Mary Margaret was enough of a chump to get strung along by David Nolan, framed by Regina, and keep the top pearl buttons buttoned on her numerous beige cardigans. We saw Mary and David embrace as their better selves, Snow and Charming, before the cloud hit, and of course we want to know how are they going to deal with their grizzled, grizzled daughter and all her problems. Luckily, Snow White is an ass-kicking, blood-lusty woman who may know how to “reach” troubled bounty-hunter Emma. But, much like Emma, even when she acted tough Snow LOOOVED her some extensions. She also jazzed up her active wear with crushed velvet cowls, and shameless real fur accents. Hopefully Mary Margaret will tap into Snow's bad-assery enough to weaponize and defend her super-awkward new family.

CHARMING

Charming was never a prince, he was a shaggy-headed shepherd who got swapped in for a speared Prince. So for him I predict a return to woolen sweaters, the reemergence of his curly fro (see the Season 1 episode "The Shephard" for evidence), and definitely Birkenstock clogs (not pictured). This low-key cozy-man lifestyle fits in better with how David's acted during Season 1: like a total scrub, cowardly stringing along a wife and mistress and occasionally going for stoned walks in the woods. (Remember when Mary Margaret kept finding him just standing all Blair Witch in the wilderness after Cathryn went missing? Did he come across the pot patch Mr. Gold's been growing out there? Who knows.) I'd be totally delighted if he regained the courage and swagger he had as Charming, but I cannot allow that kind of hope.

EMMA

Emma has a lot on her hands: She brought her child back to life with a single kiss, and now she may have to face parents her same age, one of whom used to be her nerdy roommate. Obviously she'll be the main target of Regina, and I'd assume Emma is now Henry's de facto guardian. With all this going on, Emma has no choice but to cut her hair. Seriously, she has been carrying around a thatch of twenty pounds' worth of matted blonde sausage curls like she's Mary Pickford or something. It's time for a tasteful pageboy or a nice A-line. In fact, here's a range of styles of medium to short length hair that will look great on Emma:

REGINA

Well, cat's out of the bag. Everyone knows you're evil, even your own son, and that you're responsible for everyone’s damp and miserable and boring lives. You can no longer fool anyone into thinking you’re a sleek, sensible, single-mom mayor, 'cuz everyone knows you’re just a psychopathic EVIL WITCH. So OWN it, baby, own it, that's the only way to go. We've seen Regina in crazy bangs and pilgrim hats and leather ball gowns in flashbacks, and with the variety of synthetic materials available here on Earth she has no excuse for not becoming the Lady Gaga of Storybrooke. The best defense is a good offense and a bewildering plastic ball gown is one hell of an offense, on the senses and otherwise. Who knows what Regina will do with magic in the real world, but if she really wanted to she could at least get a single on the charts.

Am I obsessing too much? I might be, but let me know who I missed and what changes you think they’re going to be making going into Season 2!

QUESTIONS:

– So how do you think the characters of Storybrooke will change now that they’ve got their memories and magic back?

– Who do you think might be disappointed about getting their magic back?

– What will happen with Rumple and Belle? Will Mr. Gold stay looking human or will using magic cost him his dreamboat looks?

– Snow and Charming and Emma and Henry: super-awkward family nights or better late than never?

Once Upon a Time Season 2 premieres this Sunday, September 30 at 8pm on ABC.

season 1 had some of the WORST costumes I've seen on TV.. I hope they really step it up. I totally agree about the extensions, especially Emma. They are very very obvious.
I love Emma in the 2B square. She can keep the stupid barrel curls as long as she cuts a good 28 inches off.

I don't care how Gold/Rump looks (will everyone just revert to their FTL names now?). I find him drop dead sexy as Mr. Gold, and equally as sexy as Rumple. And for that alone, Robert Carlyle deserved an Emmy nod.

From the sneak peak clip they are airing with all the cast interviews this week, it appears I will continue to wish Emma was wearing a dunce cap and was in timeout with her hand over her mouth for most of the season. Idiot. Serious, serious idiot. "I've been waiting for this day too! But it's gonna take me some time to digest this! Because I only read at a second grade level and my cognitive processing lag time is ... oooh, a cinnamon stick!"

I am super stoked about the premiere, and even more stoked about the return of the Lily reviews.

Happy viewing, dearies!
I am most concerned about Ruby, but I am thinking that her red highlights which her grandmother never really questioned, might be where the cloak went. But as Gold said to Regina in one preview...magic works differently in Storybrooke..

I don't know, dr Whale looked slightly down when he got his memory back which makes me even more curious as to who his storybook counterpart is. I think it'll mostly depend on the character I guess.
love this . . .. best use of photoshop ive seen in a long time this was quite funny :)
3 letters can pretty much describe this "LOL" quite hilarious alright :)
I have missed your OuaT recaps! And this was hilarious. :D

1. Some will probably seek revenge on Regina, but I think that most of them will just try to adapt.

2. No one will be disappointed to have magic again. But the fairies will be disappointed if they'll have to wear all that make up again. I know I would.

3. I hope Mr Gold stays looking like Mr Gold. I like Mr Gold more than Rumplestiltskin, and especially the way he smiles when someone insults him. But I think that he is the new big bad, and that will wreck the relationship he could have had with Belle. She seems kind, and Mr Gold isn't. And I know that many of you (including myself) though their love was sweet, but I think there was some Stockholm syndrome going there as well, which would mean their love was linked to her being his prisoner in the castle. Which she isn't anymore.

4. It will be awkward when Emma realises that she encouraged her own mother to have a one night stand with a guy who isn't her father.
Amy Acker looks really pissed off, I don't think she's too impressed with the new highlights!
ah lily it's great to have you back! and there's NO WAY you can obsess too much about OUAT! :D
hahahahaha that was great :)
Lily- loved the Photoshop, especially the fairies. They do really amazing glitter tattoos at renfaires, almost like filigree, so I'm looking for that on the ex-nuns.

Mr Gold should stay his modern self, but add the leather pants- no Liberace, please! Since he mentioned taking a trip last season, my bet is that he and Belle leave shortly (Can you recommend a good honeymoon destination?) to find Bae. Unless that's the favor he wants from Emma?

Love the MM hairdo- very Arwen, or dryad. David needs to go jump in the well to get his brain back, and then spend several months grovelling over his curse-induced stupidity. Or save the whole town from Maleficient reappearing in dragon form. Then he can be forgiven.

Regina looks so good no matter what she wears that I'm personally hoping for Gauthier or maybe Thierry Mugler as inspirations for her Storybrooke closet. Or maybe Madonna- the Curse dropped them in Maine in the Eighties, after all. Somebody must have watched MTV!

Jefferson is going to look great no matter what he wears, and he'll get his Grace back- was she Henry's crush? That would make things interesting if he and Emma get together! And I still want a Mad/Gold scene, since he's got the right coloring to be Baelfire...

Dying to see Sunday's opener, and Monday's review! Huzzah!
Regina will definitely be interesting, since everyone knows she's evil and stuff. Snow and Charming/Emma and Henry will be interesting too. Will they recognize her as their daughter? How weird would it be to have your mom be the same age as you? Don't know how Mr. Gold/ Rumpelstiltskin will turn out. Hopefully he'll stay the same as he is without magic, which is what gives him some of his intimidating presence. Because I would have a hard time taking him seriously being all glittery and maniacal even though he is one of my favorite characters from the fairytale world. I also want to know what will happen to Jefferson and his daughter, hopefully he'll get her back and hopefully he still has his head attached.
How weird would it be?!?!?

Try having your daughter older than you are!!!

s/Amy and Rory Pond
Love the Doctor reference!
Awesome article! I can't wait for the new season!
Wow! What does it say that each and every one of the hair choices for Emma is better than what she currently has? I don't care which one she picks, as long as she picks. :)
All i gotta say about this article is WOW
Hahaha!! Everything about this article is full of win

I mean, halfway through the first season, it got too stupid for me to be very interested,

BUt this has reimbursed that hope!
You are obsessed just the right amount!! Not too much, not too little, but just right! If I didn't know any better, I'd say you were a blonde-haired woman formerly of the three bears' residence.

-I think there's going to be 2 types of people, the people who slowly ease into everything, and the people who dive right back into hating and loving people that they previously loved and hated.

-The mad hatter. Not disappointed, though. I think he's just going to go crazy mad. Even more crazy mad (I'm assuming he somehow survived the vanishing fall incident).

-I want him to have a happy time. I would love to see him and Belle try and make a go of it. But I can see that not working very much.

-I don't see why the two should be mutually exclusive. I hope that we get some super hilarious Snow and Emma mother/daughter moments. Like especially when it comes to past and present dating habits and such. Lots of potential awesome-funny-awkward moments.

The one person you didn't mention was Jiminy Cricket (and Henry, but whatever with him). I want to see the Cricket striking up conversations with bugs and such. Maybe grow him some wings (crickets have wings, right? I didn't pay any attention in Biology in school).

Oh, and Ginnifer Goodwin is always gorgeous, so whatever she does, I'll be happy. Jennifer Morrison, though, I like her hair long, so I'd prefer it stay that way. That said, I like the ponytail, so if they could bring that back, I would enjoy that.

So excited for more!!
I missed a lot your OUAT reviews, Lily...even more that OUAT...

I have no idea about the characters but I like your point of view!

The only thing I know, is that it will be really messy!!! Let's hope the writers can figure something smart out!

It's a good point, and one I've been wondering about all summer. If they have stuff happening in the "real" world that happened in the fairy tale world, things will get awfully silly awfully quickly. But if NOTHING happens and it all remains the same, only with the occasional spell cast now and then, that would just be disappointing.

I wouldn't know what to do if I wrote myself into this corner. I hope they do.
It's how that Merlin show was, for so many years. Utterly boring, with an occasional spell cast and a mad-fake CGI dragon.